Certain days for certain meal types? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have certain meals on certain days? I'm trying to figure out which categories to do for my meal plans.

So far I've got: Rice meal dinner day, pasta meal day, fast food day, meat/veg/gravy meal day -times 2, soup/jacket potato/salad (very easy meal day), fish meal day....and one im forgetting which equals 8 meal types when there's only 7 days.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Sort of.

When I plan, I start with Sunday nights--breakfast for supper. I hate to cook breakfast at breakfast time, plus I'm always so tired on Sunday nights, and breakfast is easy, so that works great for me.

Saturday nights are something "good". This time of year, that tends to be grilled something. But, take-out, fun food like nachos, homemade pizza, etc. That would all be "good".

Sunday lunch is usually soup. This is a very rushed meal for us (coming home from church, and everyone is grumpy and wants a nap), so something that is hot in the crockpot is perfect. The leftovers are our lunches for the week, too.

Friday night is something "good" as well. Hamburgers, tacos, sandwiches, enchiladas, a copy of a restaurant meal, etc.

Then, Mon-Thursday is regular old food. I try to do one "separate" meal a week, one pasta, one rice. Usually one meatless/bean heavy meal. I vary the meats I do. At least one grandma food (fried chicken, meatloaf, pot roast, etc). I try to have one easy/crockpot meal a week, for our busiest day. But, other than trying to have some variety, it really varies week to week.
#3 of 8 Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 AM

I've tried this before as it sounds good in theory but I never stick to it.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 8 Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 AM

We do this spread out over a month. I work a rotating shift schedule, so we schedule meals that require effort for days I'm off and leftovers or stuff that DH can handle on days I work.

We have the following very loose and often overlapping categories--

Breakfast for dinner
Crockpot
Mexican
Italian
Vegetarian
Asian
Pizza
Freezer Meal
Sandwich Night
Fish/Seafood

And a few more I can't remember. My schedule is in two week chunks, so we sit down the weeken before it starts and decide what, specifically, we're going to cook for each category that round based on what we have on hand.
#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really love the idea of this & am trying to get back into doing it. Like wife&mommy, I tend not to stick with it for some reason. Ideally, I would like to do:

Sunday - Breakfast For Supper
Monday - Crockpot Meal
Tuesday - Taco Tuesday (anything Mexican - quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos, etc.)
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - Soup, Sandwich, Salad Night
Friday - Pizza Night (take-out or homemade)
Saturday - Grilled or "Soul Food" Style Supper

We eat out on Sundays after church, and ideally that would be the only time we would eat out other than maybe take-out pizza on Friday nights. I'm going to try this this week. I've got a chicken in the crockpot today, so I'm starting off right!
#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Well Mondays are usually a "Clean up from the weekend day" where I do a butt load of laundry (no pun intended ) and what not. So, I usually just make spaghetti or something easy. By Thursday I'm a little burnt out on cooking so I choose something easy again. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday and Sunday are usually nice rounded home cooked meals.

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#7 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM

We've been doing this for years. The days have changed but currently:

Monday - Soup day
Tuesday - Mexican food
Wednesday - Mediterranean food
Thursday - Pasta day
Friday - Rice or Couscous dish
Saturday - Wild Card Day (we pre-plan an adventurous meal for that day)
Sunday - Opposite day (we have "dinner" for breakfast and vice versa)

We usually come up with shopping lists and menus two weeks at a time. It's nice because then we all get to look forward to our saturdays. This week was salad with Savory Mushroom and Parmesan bread pudding -approx 8 bucks for a four person meal. Next week we're having veggie miso soup.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#8 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
This week was salad with Savory Mushroom and Parmesan bread pudding -approx 8 bucks for a four person meal.
Would love the recipe if you're willing to share! It sounds delicious!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page