I'm fat and DH is skinny - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if this has been covered before, but all of my searches come up empty-handed.

How/What do you cook if one person needs to gain weight and the other needs to lose weight? DH doesn't eat much and prefers fatty fatty foods. I love all foods, and have a really hard time not eating a lot. I would be happy eating a giant salad for dinner, but DH would starve. Conversely, DH would be happy eating three pieces of bacon, but I would eat 10! And obviously, with a 9 month old, I don't have the time to make a different dinner for each of us.

Ideas, advice, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM

I'm right there with you, sister. I've been making lean food and offering ways for DH to fatten up his plate. It means a lot of practice (and failure) in self control. I eat from a salad plate, I leave the food in the kitchen and take my little plate to the kitchen table. I feed DD while I'm eating to slow myself down, and I *try* to wait 5 minutes after my food is gone before going in for seconds.

It's a slow learning process.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#3 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM

It sounds like you both need a healthier diet, but with different portion sizes. If you eat the right things, you'll both feel full.

Protein and fat (good fat) will help you stay full longer so you aren't eating often. If you wanted a big salad, you could do a lettuce, spinach mix with grilled chicken, cheese and hardboiled eggs along with any other veggies you like.

Soups are really filling too and you can add lots of veggies and some meat to almost any soup.
#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
An interesting quiz to take is the Oxidizer test by Jillian Michaels. It ends up telling you what your ideal foods are and also in what relationships to other foods (I'm a balanced oxidizer, so I eat 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.) My DH is a fast oxidizer so he eats 60% protein, 20% fat and 20% carbs i think.) Anyway, for the fast oxidizer at the beginning of the week, cook a pork roast in the crock pot or something and a bunch of chicken breast for yourself if you are slow or balanced (I can't do fatty meats). Each night, make a carb for you both and of course, veggies. Make a different sauce like a marinara, or a stir fry of veggies to put with the different meats and you're done.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

How old is your husband and is he really so thin as he needs to be gaining weight? I'm 6' and when I graduated high school I weighed maybe 130. I probably could have used a few pounds. By the time I graduated college I was clocking 140. By the time I was 30 years old, 150 or so. I turned 42, we had our baby (same day actually), and three months later I'm now tipping 170. Whoops ... I'm still thin considering but my dad was pretty much the same and he's got a pot belly now (@ 77 years old). So if he's still in his early 20s or so he'll probably start putting it on as the years clock by.

Quote:
with a 9 month old, I don't have the time to make a different dinner for each of us.

Ideas, advice, please?
I do almost all the cooking in our house (I enjoy it) so I'd say ... give your husband a tour of the spice rack and an overview of the cookware and toss him some bacon and beef :-p We eat mostly the same meals but DP won't eat red meat or pork and some nights I really just gotta have a steak or my beloved kielbasa and kraut so I do parallel meals at times.

The above advice on portions and other ideas though is pretty solid ...

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun's Dad View Post
How old is your husband and is he really so thin as he needs to be gaining weight?...
He's 6' 140. It's not that he needs to gain weight, more that he prefers to eat fattening foods and can get away with it.

We had a conversation last night about how he needs to eat better with me so that I can lose weight. It took me starting this thread to realize that I shouldn't be accommodating his preference at the sacrifice of my health. He agreed and will try to stomach the healthy foods that he hates so much.
#7 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun's Dad View Post
I do almost all the cooking in our house (I enjoy it) so I'd say ... give your husband a tour of the spice rack and an overview of the cookware and toss him some bacon and beef :-p ...
Oh, and I cook because he is painfully incompetent and I'm awesome.
#8 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM

just because he's skinny doesn't mean he's healthy different people have different ways of dealing with unhealthy foods. eating healthier might be better for him in the long run too
#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Don't know if you are aware of the Traditional Foods forum, but if you're not it might be worth checking out! Fat (the good stuff!) is not bad for you and doesn't make you put on weight...so maybe that is why your DH is skinny!!!

There are a lot of stories on the TF forum about people who have stabilised their weight (either up or down, depending on what they needed) but eating TF so it could really be what you both need!

Just a thought! Good luck anyway!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page