Mothering Forum banner

help me feed my DS with GERD!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AlmightyIsis 
#1 ·
My DS (14) has recently been diagnosed with GERD. We are trying dietary methods (in addition to conventional medecine) to get it under control.

Here is what he is not allowed to eat:

greasy or fatty food
acidic food: tomatos, onions, garlic, vinegar based stuff
caffeine - including fizzy drinks, chocolate and coffe.
spicy food
milk (He may or may not be lactose intolerant)

We used to cook Italian, mexican, thai....lots of spice, lots of tomatos.

Our diet is so boring and repetative at the moment.

I swear if I cook chicken and rice or chicken and noodles for supper one more time I am going to scream! If I hand him oatmeal for one more breakfast he is going to scream.

please give me some meal ideas - I would love both meat and non-meat. We do try to eat non-meat most nights of the week.

help!

Kathy

See less See more
#2 ·
GERD, my arch-nemesis. We know it well at my house. Since he's newly diagnosed, you want to keep it basic until he's under control. Once he's under control, you can probably prepare more complex meals.

You can still have your food, just dial the spice down for him. We prepare tacos (beef or bean) without the tomato sauce, just with some chii powder, cumin and garlic. Again, add salsa to yours.

Yesterdays lunch was a beef stir fry. I made my own sauce with soy, honey garlic. It was mild, but still very flavorful.

We eats lots and lots of raw fruits (we have oranges, but not orange juice) and vegetables with dips like guacamole and hummus. We eats lots of grilled chicken and don't eat out much. Really, my kids don't miss chocolate or sodas because they know those things make them feel sick.

Also, my kids love quinoa. It's prepared basically the same way as rice and it a very nutritious alternative.

We also like pear walnut salad with bleu cheese (or you could do goat cheese since most people who are LI can handle goat cheese) and oven fries.

Any time you have to a dietary overhaul it feels overwhelming. PM me if you need more info. Make *sure* he sleeps with his head elevated at night. Good luck and healing sent to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.