lentils, beands, breadcrumbs, oh my! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the moment we are pretty broke so I can't easily go to the store...

I have a lot of dried beans (red, white, french lentils, red lentils, yellow lentils and chickpeas), whole wheat flour, bread crumbs, pasta, brown rice, red onions and dried 'stuffing' (and a ton of seasonings) but I am running out of inspiration for meals...

We have our CSA box which comes on Thursday but we never know whats in it until it comes..

SO...

Lately its been a lot of dahl/curry + rice, lentil burgers and spaghetti but I'm getting bored of them.. any other suggestions?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You could make hummus with the chick peas. Falafel, make some pitas with the flour. Soup. That's about all I got.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

falafel is a good idea! If I make the tortillas with flour/water/salt.. I'm going to go on a hunt for a good recipe

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Harira is a soup/stew that is eaten to break the fast of Ramadan. We don't celebrate that holiday, but the soup is darn good! I just searched for a recipe on allrecipes.com, but theirs is different than the one in my book. Both call for lamb, but I've made it without and it's just as good. I'll try and post my recipe tonight. But it's got chickpeas, lentils and rice. Also calls for parsley, cilantro, and tomato paste (which I've also left out).

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
I have a lot of dried beans (red, white, french lentils, red lentils, yellow lentils and chickpeas), whole wheat flour, bread crumbs, pasta, brown rice, red onions and dried 'stuffing' (and a ton of seasonings)
Hey! Get out of my pantry!

kidding I am subbing for ideas though

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 AM

I swear by this recipe for tortillas for being *authentic* as im hispanic and very picky on tortillas

http://www.texasrollingpins.com/tortillarecipe.html (i sub. crisco for lard)
and they fluff up wonderfully on a griddle or heck I've used a large skillet to make them.

some ideas on food:

Do you eat chicken? a whole chicken will probably cost between 4-6 dollars but reallly could stretch things out a lot.

bean soup: mix all the beans, whatever spices you have and onion.

quesadillas: with tortillas, shredded chicken from the whole chicken you cooked and a little shredded cheese and you could puree some beans and add to the quesadillas to add a little more to them. I make mine in the oven I sandwich the ingredients between two tortiallas and put in the oven until everything melts and the tortillas are a little crispy, usually 15-25 minutes on 350.

bean and cheese tacos: flour tortilas and refried up beans from the soup plus a little onion and cheese if you got it.

chicken and rice: use some shredded chicken and cook with rice and a few spices with onion. you could even make a soup and add some veggies from the csa

fried rice: cook up some rice (day before rice always fries up better) and chop up some veggies and a little soy sauce

from the whole chicken you could do a drumstick, buttered noodles and a steamed csa veggie
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Hey! Get out of my pantry!

kidding I am subbing for ideas though

User Tag List