Childcare Menu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you all read over my tentative child care menu? I am trying to follow the state guidelines and also provide a more varied diet, unlike most child care centers I've seen

Week 1

Monday
BreakfastBlueberry Muffins, Milk or Orange Juice
LunchMeatloaf, cheese potato, applesauce, milk
P.M. SnackGold fish cheese crackers and juice

Tuesday
BreakfastPancakes, Strawberries, Milk or Juice
LunchCheese Quesadillas, Refried Beans, Pineapple, Milk
P.M. SnackAnimal crackers, juice

Wednesday
BreakfastOatmeal with Peaches, Milk
LunchChicken Casserole, Peas, Pears, Milk
P. M. SnackTrail Mix, Juice

Thursday
BreakfastEggs, Bacon, Toast with Jelly, Milk
LunchHam Sandwich, Apple Slices, Carrots and Celery w/ Ranch, Milk (applesauce and cooked carrots for toddlers)
P.M. SnackGraham Crackers, Nutella, Juice

Friday
BreakfastCereal, Banana, Milk
LunchCheese pizza, corn, peaches, milk
P. M. SnackStrawberry Yogurt, Vanilla Wafers, Water

Week 2

Monday
BreakfastFrench Toast, Strawberries, Milk
LunchCheesy Chicken and Rice w/ Brocoli, Peaches, Milk
P.M. SnackChocolate Grahams, Juice

Tuesday
BreakfastBanana Nut Muffins, Milk
LunchTaco Salad, Mixed Fruit, Milk (tortillas for toddlers)
P.M. Snack Blueberry Yogurt, Vanilla Wafers, Juice

Wednesday
BreakfastOatmeal w/ Blueberries, Milk
LunchTomato Soup, Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Banana, Milk
P. M. SnackPretzels, Juice

Thursday
BreakfastSausage, Buscuits, Gravy, and Milk
LunchChicken Nuggets, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Milk
P.M. SnackCheese and Crackers, Juice

Friday
BreakfastCereal, Blueberries, Milk
LunchMacaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, Apples, Milk
P. M. SnackCracker Stacks (ham, cheese), Juice

Week 3

Monday
BreakfastPigs in a Blanket, Pears, Milk
LunchSpaghetti w/ Meatballs, Garlic Bread, Pineapple, Milk
P.M. SnackChocolate Chip Cookies, Milk

Tuesday
BreakfastHam egg and Cheese Omelets, Milk
LunchStir fry Chicken, Veggies and Rice, Mandarin Oranges, Milk
P.M. SnackStrawberries & Kiwi, Vanilla Yogurt Dip, Water

Wednesday
BreakfastOatmeal w/ Strawberries, Milk
LunchTurkey wraps, Cucumber Slices w/ ranch,
P. M. SnackFruit Pizza, Milk

Thursday
BreakfastHomemade “Poptarts”, Milk
LunchChili, Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Kiwi Slices, Milk
P.M. SnackChocolate Grahams, Juice

Friday
BreakfastCereal, Oranges, Milk
LunchFish Sticks, Green Beans, Pears, Milk
P. M. SnackGoldfish Cheese Crackers, Juice

Week 4

Monday
BreakfastEgg and Cheese Burrito, Pears, Milk
LunchChicken Fettuccini, Garlic Bread, Pineapple, Carrots, Milk
P.M. Snack

Tuesday
BreakfastGlazed Donuts, Banana, Milk
LunchPeanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, Banana
P.M. SnackOatmeal Cookies, Juice

Wednesday
BreakfastOatmeal w/ Apples, Milk (applesauce for toddlers)
LunchSloppy Joes/Lennies, Green Beans, Watermelon, Milk
P. M. SnackCracker Stacks (Turkey and Cheese), Juice

Thursday
BreakfastPancakes, Blueberries, Milk
LunchChicken Salad Sandwiches, Carrots and Peas, Grapes, Milk
P.M. SnackAnimal Crackers, Juice

Friday
BreakfastCereal, Grapes, Milk
LunchVegetable soup, crackers, cheese, banana, milk
P. M. Snack Pretzels, Juice

Any suggestions/ Substitutions would be appreciated

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It has been years since I have had my daycare so you might want to check..I am assuming you are doing the food program as well? When I was last on it bacon wasn't allowed cause they don't consider it food..LOL You can serve it just cant add it in.And I think milk has to be served at every meal.Not snacks though..But like I said it has been years..I like that you have alot of fresh fruit in there for them.My little girls daycare..Their idea of fresh fruit is out of a can and when they do get fresh it is only a 1/2 of a banana...

Sliced Strawberries and Kiwi with coconut vanilla yogurt to dip in is one of my allergic very finicky 2 year olds favorite snacks for daycare..But I provide all her food..

Looks good
#3 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I know the bacon doesn't count, but I have the stuff they would require already, the bacon would just be extra. Thank you! My girls daycare is the same way, and it is always the same few fruits over and over again. Of course they are catered too, so the fact that they pay a caterer to bring canned fruit really boggles my mind. 2 weeks till we start doing in home We are already full

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#4 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a parent, I would want to see produce served at each meal. I noticed there are a couple days when breakfast doesn't look very healthy.

I'd also recommend adding protein to each meal/snack so that kids are full longer. The pretzel/juice snack would have my kids asking for food again in twenty minutes.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Just wanted to give you some ideas of what they have at my dd's preschool (Waldorf). We bring our own lunch but this is mostly what they have for am and pm snack.
warm brown rice and tamari almonds
millet porridge with butter, honey and cream
homemade buns with raisins (and butter and honey)
veggie soup and the kids get to help cut up the veggies
oatmeal with raisins, butter, honey, cream
organic tortilla chips with cheese
crackers (multigrain or rice) with tahini
homemade (gluten free) waffles

I got to sub a few days at school and could not believe how the kids just ate up all this healthy food. Most went back for seconds. They also serve tea and water with each meal and snack. The kids are age 2 1/2 to 5 and do really well with it.

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#6 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 PM

If I had a kid in daycare, I'd love to see some of the PM snacks replaced with something healthier like a fruit or veggie instead of cracker/cookie etc. Other than that, trail mix/ pb sandwiches are kind of iffy, as peanuts are so allergenic... I'd worry about having them around kids who may not have had them yet/ know if there is an allergy etc. (this coming from a mom of a peanut allergic kid who tries to snag what other kids have.)

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#7 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM

Honestly, the breakfasts don't look that great to me. a lot of them will be full of sugar, and most of them only have milk for protein. how about adding eggs (scrambled, hard boiled, whatever) or yogurt or meat to each breakfast? By adding some protein and fat, they kids will feel fuller and more satisfied, and have better behavior all day (I've noticed in myself and everyone around me, how much better people feel when they eat protein for breakfast.)

also the snacks are full of sugar. How about plain yogurt, with maple syrup and fruit to add in if they need it sweetened? it will be a lot less sugar. plainer (fewer ingrediants) crackers and cheese. veggies and homemade ranch dip or aoili.

Honestly, it sounds like it's pretty full of processed foods. I know it's hard the guidelines are crazy, and the families in your day care may not particularly care about better food.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM

I'm with Maglet. It seems chock full of processed food, but then again, I know you are operating under some really ridiculous guidelines and probably a tight budget. The snacks are all processed carbs and a lot of the other foods looks like they come from a box. That would just not fly with us at all, however we are much more conscious of processed food than the average American, so take that for what it's worth. If you are looking to attract the Natural Family Living type of families that typifies MDC, I think you're going to have to get rid of the processed food and work toward cooking from scratch. That will actually be cheaper in the long-run, too. Good luck!
#9 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 AM

I just posted a long menu for my daycare, here is what I finally came up with. ope it gives you some ideas. I am on the food program as well.

5 week menu rotation

Breakfast each week
Monday- Eggs, and homemade sausage and cheese in a whole wheat wrap, or choice of cereal with milk and bananas
Tuesday- Oatmeal ,Apple slices, organic yogurt, milk
Wed- French Toast with toppings (peanut butter, homemade syrup, all fruit spread) mandarin oranges, milk
Thursday- Scrambled or fried eggs, home made whole wheat blueberry flax muffin, peaches, milk
Friday- Whole wheat/flax Pancakes, applesauce, milk

Lunches- All lunches served with 1 or 2% milk
Week 1
Monday- Taco meat/bean mixture over rice with salsa and lettuce, corn
Tuesday- Turkey and cheese on a wheat wrap, strawberry banana smoothie, cucumber slices
Wednesday-Home made Chicken nuggets, spinach bulgar salad, homemade sweet potato fries
Thursday-homemade mac and cheese, peas and apple slices
Friday- Toasted cheese on wheat, organic tomato basil soup, pears

Week 2
Monday- Black beans and rice, organic yogurt w/mixed berries, raw bell peppers w/ dip,
Tuesday- Whole wheat English muffin pizzas, green beans, applesauce
Wednesday- Baked beans, wheat roll, in season fruit and carrots
Thursday- Baked 3 cheese pasta, broccoli and apple slices
Friday- Chicken noodle soup with crackers, mixed peaches and pears

Week 3-
Monday- Sheppard’s pie, apple slices, whole wheat roll
Tuesday- Tuna salad on wheat, raw veggies to dip, grapes
Wednesday-falafel wraps, applesauce, sautéed spinach, organic yogurt
Thursday- Spaghetti with tomato sauce, carrots and hummus, pears
Friday-Lentil soup, whole grain crackers, snap peas and bell peppers with cottage cheese and dill dip

Week 4-
Monday- Creamy chicken over rice, green beans, in season fruit choice
Tuesday- Pizza, green beans, pears
Wednesday-Cheese quesadillas w/ salsa and broccoli
Thursday- Vegetable lasagna, peaches
Friday-Amy’s organic split pea soup, string cheese, whole wheat roll, pineapple,

Week 5-
Monday- Teriyaki chicken, with rice, broccoli, snap peas
Tuesday- Toasted Cheese on wheat, peas, fruit smoothie
Wednesday- Scrambled eggs, wheat toast, bananas, peaches
Thursday- Cheese ravioli with or without sauce, green beans, pears
Friday- White chili with cannellini beans and chicken, corn, baked sweet potato fries

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#10 of 16 Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 PM

I would replace the juice with water for most, if not all snacks.

Smoothies are easy and super yummy.

I think you have a nice variety, and it sounds good to me. While I agree with adding more protein for breakfast, i know it can be tricky making 2 meals a day for the kids plus snack.

Good beginning!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#11 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 01:29 AM

little acorn learning sells thier daycare menus. I use them during the school year and LOVE THEM!!

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#12 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Corrie, thanks for posting that! It's helpful for me at home with just my own kids .

I'll have to check out the little acorn menus too .

4 kids under 10
#13 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM

It looks tasty : ) Especially the bacon.....we're big fans of bacon in this house.
I have a home daycare too. I like your fruit and veg at lunchtime , I do the same type of lunchtime thing, an actual meal.
Except for Fridays - Fridays are PB&J's with ice cream for dessert.....they all love Fridays : )

Just a couple suggestions though, I'd add some/or lots of porridge, especially to the breakfasts. It's cheap and healthy, I serve it daily to my day care kids, and my own kids. You can add raisins, dates (which are delish) coconut, mashed bananas, strawberries, flax seeds or seasonal fruits and drizzle with honey and cream/whole milk. We even eat it for lunch sometimes.

For the lunches I'd add some fish, baked salmon or whitefish, or whatever's-on-sale-fish. You can freeze half of it for another day too which is nice.
Thick soups are cheap and easy too, like squash and potato soups. (freezable too)

Do you have to serve exactly what you say every day? That sounds so ridgid, especially for snacktime. And a lot of planning on your part! Are you allowed to just say fruit selection or cheese selection? I usually just have a big bowl of fruit, shelf of yogurt and a basket of cheese (in the fridge) But I'm not regulated though.

Also, are you allowed to give treats? Like an ice cream cone, homemade s'mores, no-occasion-cake or homemade sweets? If they're just spur of the minute things?

Overall it sounds good! I know some other ladies who provide home childcare and you should see the junk they feed the kids. Or what they DON'T feed the kids.
#14 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysmom View Post
Just wanted to give you some ideas of what they have at my dd's preschool (Waldorf). We bring our own lunch but this is mostly what they have for am and pm snack.
warm brown rice and tamari almonds
millet porridge with butter, honey and cream
homemade buns with raisins (and butter and honey)
veggie soup and the kids get to help cut up the veggies
oatmeal with raisins, butter, honey, cream
organic tortilla chips with cheese
crackers (multigrain or rice) with tahini
homemade (gluten free) waffles

I got to sub a few days at school and could not believe how the kids just ate up all this healthy food. Most went back for seconds. They also serve tea and water with each meal and snack. The kids are age 2 1/2 to 5 and do really well with it.
My DS went to a Waldorf Kindergarten and I loved the menu!! Especially the tea. He still drinks a cup of mint tea after school each day, and I serve tea (mint usually) to my daycare kids at snacktimes.
#15 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Mine is planned, but I can substitue things as long as I write it down and record it at the end of the day.. I love the idea of tea.I may try some child friendly versions to get them acclimated to it. Maybe raspberry or something to start sweetened with honey or agave syrup or stevia. Iced tea would go over better than hot now that it is summer I think....

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#16 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
little acorn learning sells thier daycare menus. I use them during the school year and LOVE THEM!!
Wow, I just checked out their menus and am thoroughly impressed. I homeschool and feel like figuring out meals and snack takes so much time. I love the variety and how wholesome (and yummy) the meals look. I'm going to purchase their menus for my kiddos!

lather, rinse, repeat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page