Mothering Forum banner

How big of an extra freezer should I get?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  paintedfire 
#1 ·
I'm about to have my second child this fall and I want to do some cooking ahead so we won't spend a ton on takeout. I'd need an extra freezer as mine is the normal small on top of the refrigerator kind. What size do you have and how do you like it? What size do you think I should get for a family of two adults and a toddler? We're vegetarian so there isn't any meat stored, just frozen veggies, fruit and meals I already made. I doubt it would be very full past the beginning stages, but I want it to be big enough for a month or two of meals.

#2 ·
I have an upright freezer that is as big as my fridge, and I LOVE it. It is self-defrosting, which is critically important - that way you don't have to deal with drainage, cleaning, etc... I put veggies in there, in the bottom (huge) pull-out drawer. I also put baking supplies up top, and bread that I'm saving for later. I also keep a big bag of veggies cuttings that I add to, then use to make stock.

So, my suggestion is to get a big, upright, self-defrosting freezer.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaaris View Post
I have an upright freezer that is as big as my fridge, and I LOVE it. It is self-defrosting, which is critically important - that way you don't have to deal with drainage, cleaning, etc... I put veggies in there, in the bottom (huge) pull-out drawer. I also put baking supplies up top, and bread that I'm saving for later. I also keep a big bag of veggies cuttings that I add to, then use to make stock.

So, my suggestion is to get a big, upright, self-defrosting freezer.
This. If you're worried about your electricity bill you'll want to get one that is Energy Star approved (the newer ones)

#4 ·
As big as you can afford and have space for
. We started out with just a little chest that my dad has had for several years. Shortly after we moved in, we added an upright of about the same size. A year or so later, we added a big 6' long chest freezer. We now (finally!) have enough space - atm, only 2 of them are full, and they aren't packed - just stuff thrown in (in other words, I could add lots more if I needed too). Good luck!!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
As big as you can afford and have space for
That's exactly what I was going to say. You may think you won't need a huge freezer, but once you've got one, it's easy to fill up. You can stock up, preserve produce. It's a great way to save money.

#6 ·
I think ours is a 7 cu ft freezer (it's whatever the second smallest that you find at lowe's is).

I think it's a great size. We used it for exactly what you're using it for, to stock up for when baby is born.

But, when our fridge died and we had to empty everything out of the fridge and freezer, it also held everything from those that could be frozen.

It wouldn't hold enough if you were the type to buy meat for months and months or whatever, but since you aren't going to be doing that, it would probably be big enough.

#7 ·
We have an upright freezer that is probably 5 feet tall. It has been fantastic. Couldn't live without it!
Something we considered when choosing an upright vs. chest --
My mom has always had a chest freezer and it is SO HARD to get to whatever is at the bottom. Even a well organized chest freezer is hard to maneuver. The other issue is a safety concern. I've heard too many horror stories of children getting shut in a freezer and dying. The one we bought has a lock on it. It has a drawer, room in the door, a couple of shelves.... plenty of space. DH and I keep it locked all the time even though an accidental shutting in would be next to impossible with this style. The benefit to keeping it locked (besides safety) is that I keep the ice cream or other frozen goodies in there. Even though sometimes they reek havoc on the fridge or kitchen freezer they can't get to the one in the garage

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tilly_sue View Post
We have an upright freezer that is probably 5 feet tall. It has been fantastic. Couldn't live without it!
Something we considered when choosing an upright vs. chest --
My mom has always had a chest freezer and it is SO HARD to get to whatever is at the bottom. Even a well organized chest freezer is hard to maneuver. The other issue is a safety concern. I've heard too many horror stories of children getting shut in a freezer and dying. The one we bought has a lock on it. It has a drawer, room in the door, a couple of shelves.... plenty of space. DH and I keep it locked all the time even though an accidental shutting in would be next to impossible with this style.
I hadn't even thought about the safety aspect. Thanks so much!

DF and I are moving into the townhouse in Brooklyn that we bought in January (!) at the beginning of next month. I was just there today and the renovations are mainly all finished, except for the painting/wallpapering and the bookshelves that are being built for my massive collection.

One of the things I'm counting on the move to do is get us into eating at home more. I love to cook, but we both work so much and live apart (even though we've been together most every night since we met, really). I've been planning on getting a freezer so that I could freeze meals for when the baby is born/when we don't feel like cooking.

Really, the ability to have freezer and the backyard (or what passes as a backyard in Brooklyn) are what made me want a house and not an condo or co-op.

I've never really come into contact with stand-alone freezers (growing up we had an extra fridge in the garage) so I didn't even know about it being hard to maneuver around and dig things out of chest freezer.

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend. ("Honey, let's go appliance shopping on Saturday, okay?") Ah, I love the leverage pregnancy gives me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.