Whole cow milk - what to do with it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD gets about two gallons of whole milk each month on her WIC checks - she can only drink rice milk due to sensativites that don't warrant an allergy exemption. So I've got gallons of whole milk sitting in my freezer taking up room. I'm learning how to make cheese, but I have to have some special ingredient for it to come out right...

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do with it all?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#2 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 07:13 PM

*drink it
*bake with it
*make pancakes/waffles for breakfast in the morning
*do you have a crock pot? you could try making yogurt

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM

You can use it to make homemade pudding and cream sauces, also ice cream. "Cream of" soups that are homemade and delicious...

This Chicken Divan recipe has a recipe within it for cream sauce.
#4 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 AM

#5 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 AM

My mom always made pudding when we had extra milk.

I would make yogurt. (along with the pudding!!)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 AM

have you made farmer's cheese before? You culture the milk with buttermilk (really easy. Mix in 2 TBS commercial buttermilk with live cultures per qt of milk, leave for 12-18 hours until soured in a warm spot in the room. I use the back of my gas stove, as it's warm but not too hot for my hands.), then heat it, add a little more acid if nessicary (ei if the curd doesn't seperate from the whey as you heat it), add salt, and strain the curds in a muslin cloth. (the acid from the buttermilk causes the curds to seperate) You get a softer cheese, like chevre in consistancy. You don't need to buy anything like rennet, and it's quite easy.

I second yogurt, ice cream, pudding, and creamy sauces.

Also, cream of greens/etc soups.

Smoothies

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 AM

I just did not get the milk part when we got WIC. I told them I would not and they upped the cheese quota. Then I researched and learned how much healthier we would be with no cow's milk products. We are now GFCFSF (and only organic). Pretty much nothing on the checks is healthy (IMO) other than the fresh organic veggies. The dried beans cannot be organic, nor the pb, nor the eggs, nor the cereals (which are GMO)... so I stopped getting WIC. I had thought of getting the milk and taking it to the food bank, but decided I did not want to give unhealthy (IMO) foods away to others either.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#8 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM

You can make easy, fresh cheeses with just an acid (like lime or lemon juice or vinegar). You then use them for ricotta or you can drain and use it for the paneer part of Indian food. It takes a whole gallon to just make a pound of cheese,so you could use up the milk pretty fast that way.

We like homemade yogurt made with whole milk, too.
#9 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Look up how to make paneer, soft Indian cheese that just needs heat and lemon juice.
#10 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Most places, you don't have to get the milk if you don't want to. When we were on WIC, I didn't (I dropped off wic when we started getting foodstamps... just slightly less of a hassle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page