New Crockery - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some really nice crockery that i can buy at a reasonable price. I have been looking in Walmart but I am not really impressed. Is there any where else i can get some really beautiful crockery. Oh I also like unusual or should I say unique stuff.

Worlds Best Mom
#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM

I've actually heard really great things about tramontina's tri-ply 18/10 stainless steel stuff from walmart on cooking forums... apparently its almost identical to all-clad (but for 1/4 the price and made in... china? brazil? instead of usa).

What are you looking for exactly? Sauce pans, fry pans, stock pots, dutch ovens?? I prefer (and love) my cast iron fry pans & dutch ovens..
#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM

What do you mean by "crockery"?

And if you're looking for unique, WM is definitely not the place to be looking.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM

I haven't seen a catalogue in years, but I think Crate and Barrel used to have some unique crockery.
#5 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I've actually heard really great things about tramontina's tri-ply 18/10 stainless steel stuff from walmart on cooking forums... apparently its almost identical to all-clad (but for 1/4 the price and made in... china? brazil? instead of usa).

What are you looking for exactly? Sauce pans, fry pans, stock pots, dutch ovens?? I prefer (and love) my cast iron fry pans & dutch ovens..

Dishes and pots. I am very fascinated with Chinese crockery. I can only imagine how expensive they must be.

Worlds Best Mom
#6 of 7 Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsBestMom View Post
Dishes and pots. I am very fascinated with Chinese crockery. I can only imagine how expensive they must be.
Not really. Do you have a large Chinatown area nearby? Most that I've been shopping in have stores with shelves of dishes, bowls, cups, serving pieces etc. and you can mix and match to suit your needs, at very reasonable prices (a few dollars per piece).

My one caution is that I'd be concerned about the safety issue - lead or other toxins in the ceramics and glazes.

If expense is your first concern, I would check out estate sales and auction houses. Often, people have entire sets of dishware that are gently used because they were the "good china".
#7 of 7 Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 PM

Another thing to consider is buying piece by piece, through time, on Etsy. Lots of *gorgeous* stuff on there, made by wahm's and so forth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page