What goes well with plantains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend at work brought her lunch the other day (grilled spicy chicken with cumin & chili powder, black beans & pan fried plantains). It looked really good & I've been wanting to make some plantains so I bought some at the store this weekend. What sorts of dishes would pair well with ripe, pan fried plantains?

I grilled some chicken last week that the kids loved (just with salt & chinese 5 spice) - would that go with the plantains or should it be more latin spices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 PM

They make an awesome side with a layered, enchilada-y casserole, tex-mex black bean burgers, or chicken or pork tacos verde!

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#3 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 PM

I love plantains with dishes that feature tomatoes and curry like curried chickpeas or lentils. There's also a traditional Nigerian dish that is made with black eyed peas and a red (tomato) stew that is eaten with fried plantains. I can't tell you how much I love plantain!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM

generally we eat fried plantains with rice and beans and cheese (with the beans cooked and then the rice added to them to cook, and them both cooked with jalepenos, and cumin and garlic, and then adding hot sauce and vinegar and salt and cheese after they cook. yum!)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 PM

My Nigerian neighbor makes fried plaintains with eggs that are scrambled with tomatoes, onions, garlic and some spices. It is insanely yummy!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM

I usually serve plantains with black beans and maybe some grilled chicken. I usually do cumin, cilantro, oregano and lime on the chicken if I am serving it with that. I also sometimes serve it with tortillas, pico or avocado

I love plantains.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#7 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
My Nigerian neighbor makes fried plaintains with eggs that are scrambled with tomatoes, onions, garlic and some spices. It is insanely yummy!
Oh yeah!!! I ate this a lot growing up and it is soooooo sooooo good.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#8 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
My Nigerian neighbor makes fried plantains with eggs that are scrambled with tomatoes, onions, garlic and some spices. It is insanely yummy!
Do the plantains to in with the eggs or do you just serve them as a side dish?

I live in Texas & a large part of what we eat is tex-mex stuff so it sounds like pretty much anything like that I'd usually make should go well. I'd also love to try some of the other stuff like the Nigerian recipe. Someone actually gave me a recipe for an African chicken stew - she said bananas go in it but now I'm wondering if it's really supposed to be plantains.
#9 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Ugh between this and the strawberry thread I am starving now

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Do the plantains to in with the eggs or do you just serve them as a side dish?

I live in Texas & a large part of what we eat is tex-mex stuff so it sounds like pretty much anything like that I'd usually make should go well. I'd also love to try some of the other stuff like the Nigerian recipe. Someone actually gave me a recipe for an African chicken stew - she said bananas go in it but now I'm wondering if it's really supposed to be plantains.
You deep fry the plaintains and then serve the scrambled egg mixture over the top of it and take a bite of both together when you eat it. If you really want to eat it like an African, you don't use utensils either. (so says my sweet neighbor who teased me about using a fork with it)

Oh, and I have been told to make sure they are really ripe before you fry them, or they are too starchy, and not sweet.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#11 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM

making ropa vieja w/ plantains tonight

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page