stumped on what to do with the things in the fridge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been struggling so much with creativity in the kitchen lately. I have food in the freezer that I could pull out, but I really want to use up what's already in the fridge. I'm just not sure what to do with everything to make up a meal. I have:

*seitan BBQ "ribs" (not a lot of sauce on them, so they could be repurposed)
*less than a serving's worth of fava bean risotto

(starred because they baffle me the most)

beets, carrots, radishes, kale, collards, broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby Asian greens (tatsoi and something else), onion, garlic, some "grey" summer squash (like light colored zucchini)... maybe some celery. And LOTS of yellow crookneck squash.

If it were winter, I'd probably roast the veggies... but right now we hate heating up the house with the oven.

I think the creative part of my brain is just exhausted right now and I need a fresh pair of eyes to give me suggestions.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, a lot of the veggies could go in a really creative salad.

Do you have rice?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do have rice! I pondered a stir fry, and thought about a salad... just wasn't sure that a salad would be enough for everyone. They're usually "side" items in our house.

Might be able to chop up the "ribs" and use them for the protein part of a stir fry, but I wasn't sure how well that would work.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
I do have rice! I pondered a stir fry, and thought about a salad... just wasn't sure that a salad would be enough for everyone. They're usually "side" items in our house.

Might be able to chop up the "ribs" and use them for the protein part of a stir fry, but I wasn't sure how well that would work.
I was actually going to suggest it...or you can just make up rice and mix the meat in without adding anything. We used to do it with sausage.

Hmm...if you have potatoes you can do a "stuffed baked potatoes" kind of thing.

You could always do a "buffet" dinner and put everything out (salad, meat in rice, etc...) and let people take what they want?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM

you could make stew with most of that I think...
Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Oooh! Make a summer squash salad with all that squash. I'm making one this afternoon with the squash I got in my CSA box:

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com/recipes/83

User Tag List