can i get some help w/ dh lunches? .... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi! ive never posted here before, but im so stumped. im so proud of all the healthy food changes my dh has made recently, but when he goes to work, i have a dilemma - he has no way of heating food, so everything i give him must be able to be eaten cold.

and he refuses to eat hot foods cold. (i.e. - cold chicken in a salad. chicken to him must be hot.)

i usually pack him a seriously delicious salad, a fruit or two, a veggie (celery, carrots, etc.) a form of cheese (string cheese, cheese cubes) and some kind of nut mix (right now a soy blend from costco lol)

i know he needs more protein and i put cut up turkey breast slices/hard boiled egg in his salad every other day or so but is there something beyond salads and yummy sandwiches that i can send? pretty much all left overs need to be heated up.

thank you!

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would he eat veggies (like cucumber boats or hollowed out peppers) stuffed with herbed cottage cheese?

A thermos filled with hot soup or chili?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#3 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Sorry, OP. I'm stumped too. I don't know of alot of things besides lunch meat that would fit that bill.

signature currently in transition
#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM

protein-

nut butter of some kind. look up some recipes. it is not just for sandwiches.

egg. egg salad. deviled eggs. potato salad with eggs and leeks.

you can use ham lunch meat and make those pickle things. yk, they have cream cheese spread on the meat and then wrapped around a pickel. yummmm.

google ((or any search engine)(i like dogpile)) is your friend. search protein sources. then search recipes using those. that is what i do anyway.

you will end up using the same protein sources over and over agin, but you can find all ways of preparing them.

beans are good. you can make all kinds of things that are cold.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

thankyou for the replies! i can try all those suggestions, esp the the thermos filled w/ chilli

thanks again

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#6 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Will he eat ham cold? I cube and skewer ham for my kids. I also spread cream cheese thickly on hard salami and roll up. When we go to the zoo and pack a lunch I slice cheese and summer sausage and pack a bag of crackers. Stuff celery with cream cheese and chopped olives, or nut butter and raisins/dried fruit. Veggies with hummus, jerky, yogurt/yogurt parfaits topped with granola and nuts. Especially greek yogurt. Cold bean salad. Roll ups made with tortillas, cream cheese, cheese, veggies, beans.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#7 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM

invest in a nice sized name brand thermos. They are wonderful not only for soups and chilis but also for other warmed food. For instance I often send him with rice and curry. I heat up on the stove and mix and dump into the thermos...still nice and warm at lunchtime. Works better with food that can be mixed. I have used it for things like cut up roast and veggies, casseroles and heck even warmed desserts like cobbler.
#8 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

What about StarKist tuna in the pouches? They have plain and seasoned ones. My husband takes those to work.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
invest in a nice sized name brand thermos. They are wonderful not only for soups and chilis but also for other warmed food. For instance I often send him with rice and curry. I heat up on the stove and mix and dump into the thermos...still nice and warm at lunchtime. Works better with food that can be mixed. I have used it for things like cut up roast and veggies, casseroles and heck even warmed desserts like cobbler.

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page