What meals do you prepare in summer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm out of the groove of cooking or preparing an evening meal, and when I *do* make something my DH sometimes points out that it's more of a cold-weather dinner. I have a recipe binder full of stuff we like and can eat (we are gluten-free and DS is also corn-free) but my DH is right, it's almost all stews and soups and curries.

The problem is, I'm not sure what makes a meal a "summer" meal. We do make BLT's and cook brats or chicken on the grill, but otherwise I'm sort of lost.

What kinds of things do you prepare for dinner in summer?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to bump this over to Meal Planning.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 PM

My son's gluten free and we tend to have hot meat (eg steak, chicken, sausages etc) and salads in the summer. On a cooler day we'll have stir fried veges instead of salad. I'm a great fan of chilled soup but with teenage boys it's not filling enough!

I usually do a potato or pasta salad to provide some substance. Coleslaw, carrot or lettuce salad as well. Funnily enough the boys will eat far more salad than they do cooked veg !

The advantage with salad is that you can prepare it earlier in the day when it's cooler. Be careful with your choice of dressing though as many brands have malt vinegar in them.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 AM

In the summer, I like things like melon salads, tomato salads with mozzarella, toast 'melts' with fresh tomatoes, summer squash salad, etc...
Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the problem with some of this is that my DS will not eat salads. He really doesn't eat vegetables unless they're mixed in with something...ugh. Hence all the stews/soups/curries.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM

what about stir fry, baked potatoes (make them in the crock pot), nachos/tacos/taco dip (might be an issue for corn free, not sure how rice chips take melted cheese), crockpot pulled pork and coslaw

to me summer dishe are lighter than winter food. if you make soup use summer veg and keep the broth light rather than a hearty pot roast style stew
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I guess the problem with some of this is that my DS will not eat salads. He really doesn't eat vegetables unless they're mixed in with something...ugh. Hence all the stews/soups/curries.
Well.... that's a challenge!

Does he like lasagne? I make a standard mince lasagne (GF), but I chop some carrot, onion and parsnip very finely in the food processor and mix in with the mince. Served with a green salad, for a summer dinner. In winter it's lovely with a mainly green veg stir-fry.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowtoGlutenFree View Post
Well.... that's a challenge!

Does he like lasagne? I make a standard mince lasagne (GF), but I chop some carrot, onion and parsnip very finely in the food processor and mix in with the mince. Served with a green salad, for a summer dinner. In winter it's lovely with a mainly green veg stir-fry.
My DH does not "do" Italian food. He can't handle tomato sauce.

I'm tellin' you, it's tough around here!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Definitely not easy!

Will DH eat pasta dishes without tomato sauce?

Have you tried fish curry? It a lighter curry which we've eaten in the summer. If you're interested I have a fish and banana curry recipe, which tastes better than it sounds!

What about salmon (or smoked fish) pie? (canned salmon, sauteed onion, celery or beans or bacon or whatever mixed together with a white sauce. Add breadcrumbs on top and some grated cheese, grill and eat).
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Will DH eat pasta dishes without tomato sauce?
Yes, he will. We do macaroni & cheese sometimes, or peanut sauce.

Quote:
Have you tried fish curry? It a lighter curry which we've eaten in the summer. If you're interested I have a fish and banana curry recipe, which tastes better than it sounds!).
I'd love the recipe. I think I made fish curry once and no one liked it, but maybe it was the recipe I tried.

Quote:
What about salmon (or smoked fish) pie? (canned salmon, sauteed onion, celery or beans or bacon or whatever mixed together with a white sauce. Add breadcrumbs on top and some grated cheese, grill and eat).
I'm avoiding fish right now because I'm pregnant. That does remind me, though, that DH likes salmon and tuna steak (but not any other fish, really). Maybe I'll work that into the rotation next summer.

Sorry to be such a PITA! DH has come a long way, but he still won't eat as much as I will. And DS used to eat ANYTHING we set in front of him, but in the past year or so he's gotten pickier.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM

The fish curry recipe !

2 bananas
1/2 cup pineapple juice (I include the pieces as well)
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 green capsicum (pepper)
50g butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder (GF)
250 g diced white fish

Peel the bananas and cut into 1 cm thick slices.
Place in a bowl and pour over pineapple juice.
Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Remove the seeds from the green pepper and slice finely.
Heat the butter in a pan and cook the onion and garlic until just tender. Sprinkle over the salt and curry powder. Stir well.
Add diced fish to pan, stir again and cook until fish starts to whiten.
Carefully add the pineapple juice and bananas. Stir well.
Cover and simmer for about 15 mins.
Serve with rice.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Sorry to be such a PITA! DH has come a long way, but he still won't eat as much as I will. And DS used to eat ANYTHING we set in front of him, but in the past year or so he's gotten pickier.
Hey, no stress. I have picky eaters too!

One DS is not so keen on tomatoes so I often use white sauce or coconut milk based sauces for pasta.

One of their favourites is chicken, stir fried with lots of bacon and celery with basically a white sauce added - the sauce has a pinch or two of nutmeg, some GF soy sauce (about 1 tbsp per cup of sauce) and if I think it needs it, a splash of GF worcestershire sauce. Then mix it with your chosen pasta. I often sprinkle some chopped parsley over the top to make it look more appetising (it's bit beige looking!). The parsley has concentrated nutrients so even a little is very beneficial.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM

I don't really, personally, care if things are not "summer" food. We eat curries all the time. DH is from Pakistan, it's not like Pakistani people stop eating curry for half the year, lol.
We don't really eat stew, so that's not an issue. We do eat soups, but usually less meat-heavy ones, not too many cream ones.

And if your little one won't eat salad, that really eliminates a lot of the standard summer fare anyway.

I just wouldn't worry too much about it. But maybe that's just me.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

4 kids under 10

User Tag List