Food Issues & Meals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had many food issues over the course of my life, and have reached a point where I think it's best to take some time and try not to think about food, prep, grocery shopping, etc., unless I absolutely have to. I know that I have to eat, however, and don't want to set an unhealthy example for my children.

Can you recommend pantry/fridge/freezer staples that can form quick, simple meals that require no to little prep, and that can accommodate a busy schedule? I've been thinking things like smoothies, fruit and nut butter, etc., but if I even start thinking about it, I tend to begin to obsess fairly quickly, and I know that's not healthy.

As a little background, I have managed to overcome an eating disorder (or am still overcoming it daily), but now I can feel myself beginning to think about food in unhealthy ways, and I start to worry about portions and weighing things.

If I buy too many things at the grocery store, I get worried about all the food in the fridge, and start making plans to throw it away so I don't have to eat it. I know that my thoughts and behavior are not healthy, and I want to try to remove myself from it as much as possible. Thank you so much for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM

What are some of your favorite things? Do you tend to eat too little or too much?

I'm thinking that working out of the freezer would help, since you can leave it there until you need to use it. I like to keep cooked rice in the freezer, along with chicken breasts, sweet potato fries, chicken stock.

Then in the fridge I keep a couple days' worth of baby spinach, grape tomatoes, carrots, apples, cheese, milk/coconut milk, ham, bread. I get a CSA box of veggies and a dozen eggs each week also.

That pretty much covers it for basic meals.

Pantry I keep canned tomatoes, dry and canned beans, oatmeal, pasta, pasta sauce.

With those ingredients, I can make almost anything, and it doesn't have to be fancy or hard! Just plain old food, cooked and eaten, does the job!

(Tonight we had kidney beans with ham and chicken leftovers, brown rice with soy sauce, spinach/tomatoes/avocado with homemade dressing, blueberries and fresh apricots. Just a meal pieced together out of leftovers and fresh fruit and veggies, which took about 10 minutes to pull together and serve.)

I don't know what your money situation is, but if it's not an issue then you might even consider some of those meal delivery services. There are some out there that are very healthy and only use fresh, organic ingredients. I sometimes wish I could just do that! lol
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 AM

I don't know what your financial situation is but if you have some room in your budget, it might benefit you to get pre-made meals. There are several different companies that offer nutritious meals that are pre-made or you can assemble them. The companies near me are Dream Dinners, Super Suppers, and another that I can't remember. There are also mail-order companies that send frozen meals. A friend sent me some as a new baby gift and the company she used had great, nutritious meals. They took 10-20 minutes to heat on the stove top from frozen. That might be the best solution for you if you are looking to get out of the food prep, grocery shopping rut.

If you want to keep staples on hand to throw together quick meals, I recommend pasta, rice, beans, and frozen meats -- like chicken breasts, roasts, and ground beef.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08

User Tag List