How many "go to" recipes do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was making up our monthly plan and had a few slots left. I asked DH if there was anything particular he wanted and he said, "Just repeat something."

I HATE repeating meals during the month. He knows this. He laughed and said, "Honey, most people don't have enough meals in their repertoire to NOT repeat something."

I realized I have at least 30 separate meals...probably closer to 40...and I'm always trying to add something new (I try to do one new recipe a month, even if I have to make it up)

Am I just weird?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 15 Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

No. I don't like repeating either. I'll have to post my list of meals we all like. And of course, there are some throw togethers, but those always change anyways.
#3 of 15 Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Nope not weird.

I don't have a "repitoire" cause I will make something 3-5 times (never in the same month) and then never want to make it again. I get bored easily. I usually try a new recipe once a week.

My husband would be happy with 14 meals that rotated every 2 weeks...over and over and over.
#4 of 15 Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 PM

No I don't like to repeat them either when I am planning things out. I have a huge list of meals to choose from, way over 30. Sometimes we want things more than once (like my kids love spaghetti).

I have head that though that like the average family has 5-10 meals they just eat over and over and over again.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#5 of 15 Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post

I have head that though that like the average family has 5-10 meals they just eat over and over and over again.
That would drive me crazy. Granted, we have several favorites that MUST be made at least once a month...but even those I'll skip a month every so often. I can't imagine not having variety. Cooking would get boring if nothing else.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 15 Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Lunch may be regular repeats... especially if I get a good deal on a particular ingredient, but dinner...

no, you're not alone in not cooking repeats, but I don't know what the "norm" is. I started making a master list years ago and realized some time ago that I have over 100 main dishes we enjoy... and I still experiment a couple times a month so that list gets added to. Some things that might be favorites, we'll have only a few times a year only because we don't like a lot of repeats and really enjoy variety. I just LOVE to cook! I couldn't stand to have the same thing week in and week out... or month in and month out.
#7 of 15 Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM

When we got married, my dh wanted tacos EVERY single stinking week. I compromised at twice a month. Then, I started branching out, and it became a "taco like" dish twice a month. Now, we have true, old el paso style tacos (the ones we grew up on) about once every 8 weeks. That's more my style.

I don't like to repeat very often, either.

But, like velochic said, I sometimes get in food ruts at lunch. Right now, I'm rotating between tomato sandwiches, tomatoes with cottage cheese, adn tuna fish with tomatoes (notice a theme? LOL). But, I'll move on to other options soon.
#8 of 15 Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM

About 30 dinners, probably> fwiw my mum rotates about 10 meals, max> never bugged me, but we eat really limited variety of food in our family due to us ALL being extremely picky.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#9 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM

I don't like repeating things either, although we have a few "staples" that usually happen every two weeks or so. (In the winter, roasted vegetables; in the summer, sliced cheese, fruits, vegetables, and sometimes salami.) Those are basic meals that are usually reserved for nights when I'm fried from dissertation work and don't want anything complicated. Which happens at least every two weeks.

I'd say I have 60 meals in my repertoire, though. Partly because when I started meal planning I made a goal to try one new recipe a week.
#10 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM

I have around 35 meals to choose from. I don't like repeat either unless it's tacos/fajitas or spaghetti, or tator tot casserole. Those can be made at least 2x's each in a month. I know the kids will eat those!!

Lunches, I have about 2 weeks worth and I am ok with having the same thing every Monday, Tuesday, etc. Boys don't care. Sometimes I will mix it up or eat out.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#11 of 15 Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM

I probably have 30-40 regulars I go back to, and I also hate repeats, but I do end up doing it, especially when I'm in school (nursing). Sometimes, it's too complicated to come up with something new during the week when it's crazy. I usually try to do one really nice new meal once on the weekend when I have time to plan and shop for fresh ingredients.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#12 of 15 Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Some basic things I'll make every week for a while, especially if I've bought the ingredients for it and have more left. I like to make pizza from scratch once a week. Chicken wings I do 2 weeks in a row to use the package up. If it's just perfect grilling weather (not fit for cooking inside) I'll do burgers, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, kebobs, stuff like that often. Maybe it's because I meal plan weekly, not monthly, but if I liked something the week before I look forward to doing it again.
#13 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Nope not weird!change is always good! but do have a few favorites that are a must once a month!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!
#14 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 PM

I have an armful of favourite cook books that I make meal plans from. We don't repeat meals much. The most repeated meal is probably the beef/pasta/tomato sauce skillet dish that DP likes to make, and that's twice a month maximum.

4 kids under 10
#15 of 15 Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
Nope not weird.

I don't have a "repitoire" cause I will make something 3-5 times (never in the same month) and then never want to make it again. I get bored easily. I usually try a new recipe once a week.

My husband would be happy with 14 meals that rotated every 2 weeks...over and over and over.
Do we have the same husband?
Mine would be happy with the same 7 meals over and over.
I meal plan based upon what's on loss-leader sale.
My son has a repertoire of 2-4 meals he'll reliably eat,so...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page