Need advice OAMC search - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I would like to try the 1xmonth cooking plan. The cookbooks I have browsed online use many prepacked and processed foods. Does anyone have a suggestion for a 1xm cookbook with more healthy food choices to use? I don't mind the cooking just would like to use better ingredients (cut down on sodium, additives etc KWIM).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM

I don't really use a cookbook, but I double meals that we normally eat frequently. I did that when I was about 35-36 weeks pregnant, doubling almost all of our meals for a few weeks. It worked great--it's stuff we already like, and there was no unknown factor.

As for what freezes--I stick with mostly soupy, stewy things. We have a sausage/black eyed pea cornbread that I thought would freeze well, but it turned out crumbly. Next time, I might freeze just the wet ingredients, then make the cornbread fresh (it has peas, sausage, cheese, onions, jalapenos, corn, milk, and eggs in it), thawing, then adding the cornmeal. I think that would work better.

But, great success with spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, pot roast, Italian beef for french dips, casseroles (chicken tettrazini is our favorite), brunswick stew, meatloaf (raw), and I also did some parts of meals. The "parts" that have been the most successful--mashed potatoes (frozen in ice cream scoop size), hamburger patties, fresh mushrooms, cooked (way better than canned), slow cooked onions, smoked pork and chicken, beans, and taco meat.
#3 of 4 Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if there is an online version of cook1xmonth??
#4 of 4 Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not to drift too far, but are you freezing all of these things already cooked? i know it's a simple question, but i'm just learning! i want to make things like cauliflower mash or loose cooked ground beef (rather than burgers) and freeze them already cooked. is that OK?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page