Storing freezer meals? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use to store freezer meals? I am planning to buy a freezer and start stocking up before our baby comes, but I'm not sure what to put meals into.

I have been storing homemade broth in Rubbermaid take-alongs, but those don't seem to like being frozen and become quite brittle after a time or 2 in the freezer.

What about casseroles? The least expensive would be those disposable aluminum pans, but I'm reluctant to use them because of the potential link between aluminum and Alzheimer's (and 2 family members that had it).

Glass storage containers and casserole dishes/lasagna pans would be great, but are very expensive, not to mention harder to store when not in use. Not to mention my butterfingers tendencies.

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
#2 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 AM

I've been saving glass jars to store things like red sauce, stock etc. I haven't tried it yet, but the advice is to chill first, and leave an inch gap at the top to allow for expansion in the freezer. HTH.
#3 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Depending on how many you are feeding I think glass is best. Check out Pyrex. They make smaller dishes for inexpensive and have have BPA free lids. I got mine for less than $5 a piece and they are great for storing leftovers when not being used for freezing. Sauce jars are good for freezing soups.

Married to my wonderful hubbyMama to an awesome little man!
#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Here's a link for how to use glass/Pyrex for freezing casserole-type dishes in less space:

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/3704

Basically, you line the pan, freeze your food, then lift out the food, seal, and store in the freezer w/o the pan, thus saving space. It also means you don't a million pans to freeze things in and store later. Pyrex can often be found secondhand for very little $$...

Hope this helps!

~Sara
#5 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Brilliant, Sara - I love it. Hadn't thought of it!

Also, the glass jars - I use them for homemade pasta sauce, RRL tea, etc, but hadn't thought of freezing soups in them. Thanks!

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 AM

I use a mix of Sara's suggestion and plain ol' freezer bags. Even casseroles can be put in the gallon sizes if you make them small enough/split the dish in two.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page