Anyone have their Thanksgiving menu planned yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working on it now. So far, turkey breast with peach glaze, pot roast of beef with olive and capers, sweet and spicy collard greens and suateed winter squash. Sweet potato cheesecake for dessert. DH will do the stuffing.
#2 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM

I haven't even thought about it really, but ours is pretty standard. Turkey, mashed potatoes, bacon green beans, rolls, stuffing and usually pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.
#3 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM

We will probably have around 20 people for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not yet sure specifically what people will be contributing, but judging from previous years it will probably be:

Turkey
Stuffing
Giblet Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Herbed Sweet Potatoes
Boiled turnips
Peas
Corn
Cranberry Sauce
perhaps fresh homemade rolls,

and for dessert an assortment of pies and cookies including but not limited to:
Apple Pie,
Pumpkin Pie,
Chocolate Pudding Pie,
Cherry Pie,
Chocolate Chip Cookies.
All ready to be topped off with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

oh, and GALLONS of apple cider from the orchard. That's my family's tradition, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only times we buy it and everyone loves it.

It's a big meal. We eat it early so that we can eat it again later. Everything gets made from scratch with the exception of the stuffing. So far the majority prefers StoveTop Oh well, one less thing to slave over. (oh, and the ice cream, that I buy also)

And for breakfast my DH's family has a tradition of making teddy bear shaped pancakes and decorating them with M&Ms on thanksgiving morning. We went to his parent's the past few years to participate (even before we had children ) but since we are hosting this year we will make our own shaped pancakes. It's a lot of fun and a special treat for the kids. (and mommy )

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#4 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Subbing and will post more as I get mine down.

I know my oldest dd (she'll be 22) will do her first turkey (brined so she can't screw it up, lol), and my 11 yo dd will do her first all-by-herself pie (probably lemon chess). We usually have about 6-8 different kind of pies (I have a pie problem, lol--I like to make them, but I rarely eat much of them, thankfully, lol).

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM

oh, yeah. Pies are my weakness. In my house I'm the only one who eats them (my son will only eat the crust) so I will have a great excuse to make a bunch since company is coming over. I'd love to know which ones you decide to make.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#6 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Well, I know for sure what pies will be made, because I usually make the same ones each year. This year I will add 1 new one, because I've got pears from my mom's tree in the freezer.

We'll make....

Lemon chess pie

Sweet potato pie

Pumpkin pie

Pecan praline sweet potato pie

Walnut praline pumpkin pie

Pear pie

Either apple/cranberry cobbler, enchiladas, or pie

Dreamy chocolate nutty caramel cheese pie (dreamed it when I was pg last time and whipped it up the next morning, lol)

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Forget it, I'm coming to your house! lol, everyone here can fend for themselves!

I'd love the recipe for your Dreamy Chocolate Nut Caramel Cheese Pie, it sounds like something I'd dream about, lol.

#8 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

I'll see if I can find it but I've gotta get off here for awhile first, lol.

#9 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Prob the same as last year.

Turkey
gravy
garlic mashed potatoes
creamed carrots
green bean casserole
cornbread stuffing
rolls
pumpkin pie
fruit salad
sparkling cider

All gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#10 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Ours are set in tradition. Roast turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes (make with milk not chicken broth), dressing (also vegetarian), sweet potato and apple casserole, carrots with horseradish, green bean casserole, corn souffle, rolls, green salad with pears, raw cranberry relish, pumpkin pie, mince pie, gingerbread with home made whipped cream, date cake, lemon squares, and whatever else my mom decides to make. Except for the turkey and gravy, everything is laco-ovo vegetarian.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#11 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooo! Great question... I'm going to have to post this question in the vegan forum.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#12 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Same as always:

Turkey, stuffing & gravy
Mashed Potates
Homemade Noodles
Sweet Potatoes with marshmallows
Baked Ham
Cranberry Sauce
Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Corn
Various Olives
Pumpkin Pie
some apple dessert
some chocolate dessert

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#13 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Whatever Cracker Barrel is serving This is a battle I chose not to fight this year. DP's family does Cracker Barrel every year. For the first couple years I said "whatever" and joined in. It was H*LL. That is an absolute nightmare for an autistic child. Last year I put my foot down and said no more. We did Thanksgiving here (just dp, ds and I). This year I am giving in because I know dp's mom is having a hard time accepting that we will not be around at the end of the year (the day after Christmas we are leaving and won't be back for almost 2 weeks.... we're getting married and she's still pretty pissed that it's just dp and I- no family invited). It was a peace offering to do Thanksgiving her way this year However, there will be some rules. DP's mom and dad can go to Cracker Barrel and put the name on the list. When it gets close to our turn they can call us and we'll go over there (or even after they get a table they can call us- we only live 5 minutes away from Cracker Barrel). This will make it much, much easier for ds. The first year we did this with them we all went at the same time and we had to wait over an HOUR to get seated. So we wandered around the store. For an hour. With it packed full of people. With an autistic child. I needed more than a drink by the time we left

ETA- sometime in November I will make a Thanksgiving meal for dp, ds and myself. Still thinking about what I want to make...

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#14 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 PM

StephandOwen- I can't get a grasp on people who prefer to go out for holiday dinners, it is just so bizarre to me. It sounds like that will be a nice compromise for this year. I'm curious, are they not interested in having Thanksgiving at your house or are you not interested in hosting it?

#15 of 28 Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post
StephandOwen- I can't get a grasp on people who prefer to go out for holiday dinners, it is just so bizarre to me. It sounds like that will be a nice compromise for this year. I'm curious, are they not interested in having Thanksgiving at your house or are you not interested in hosting it?
I'm with you, I've never understood it. We always did big family dinners (homemade) for holidays. So much more relaxing! But it's a big thing for dp and his parents (well, it's a big thing for his parents, dp doesn't really care and since he's seen how hard it is on ds he would rather eat at home too). I, personally, do not like Cracker Barrels Thanksgiving dinner anyway so I usually end up ordering some grilled chicken tenders, mac n cheese and fried apples. Or I'll get a salad

I am not interested in hosting it this year. Maybe next year I'll consider it, but this year things are far too shaky between FMIL and I. If I were to host dinner she would pick apart every single thing I made and would be sure to tell me a better way to make it or how it should be made or how she would make it or whatever. I have far too little patience with her right now and would hate to ruin a holiday by letting it all rip at her. I think once we get past dp and I's wedding (January 1st) things should start looking up and will be a lot less stressful. But for now I am just going to smile and nod and get through the next 2 months with as little stress as possible

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#16 of 28 Old 11-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Turkey, deviled eggs, olives, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus,, green salad, stuffing, rolls, fruit salad, and pumpkin pie.
My parents will be joining us and bringing the rolls and salad. I'm making everything else. Trying to keep the amount of food realistic for the number of people!

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#17 of 28 Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post
Forget it, I'm coming to your house! lol, everyone here can fend for themselves!

I'd love the recipe for your Dreamy Chocolate Nut Caramel Cheese Pie, it sounds like something I'd dream about, lol.
Sorry, I can't find it! Basically just take any old chocolate cheesecake filling and plop it in a regular pie crust (I sweeten this crust a bit), and drizzle the top w/caramel and sprinkle on some toasted walnuts, or hazelnuts. MMMMMMMMM!

#18 of 28 Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

Chicky- Thanks! I can work with those guidelines, it sounds delicious and I haven't made a cheesecake in a while! :-)

#19 of 28 Old 11-07-2010, 04:34 PM

We're going to relatives, so awaiting final word on what's needed. However, I usually bring a really nice triple onion casserole, which I believe is out of one of the Silver Palate cookbooks, as well as stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer. DH loves to bake and makes a good raisin filled cookie. Almost 12 y/o dd is going to try her hand at something as well. She has fabulous taste in food!

Can I just say that I LOVE Thanksgiving! No gift giving stress, just a happy family time-love it.
#20 of 28 Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 PM

I have to make everything from scratch due to allergies (gluten, egg, dairy, nut, shellfish), but since it's only the 5 of us that eat, we'll be feasting on leftovers for a long time. : Here's what I'm thinking of:

Cranberry bread for breakfast

Lunch/Pre-dinner appetizers:
Bacon & water chestnut rumaki
Lemon butter crostini (without the parm cheese) http://www.glutenfreeda.com/recipe-v...?cat=1&id=1387
Veggie platter with cucumber yogurt dip: http://www.glutenfreeda.com/recipe-v...?cat=1&id=2951

Dinner:
Plum glazed roasted turkey: http://www.glutenfreeda.com/recipe-v...cat=10&id=2634
Buttered corn
Whole berry cranberry sauce
Apple sausage stuffing
Candied sweet potatoes
Spinach & apple salad: http://www.glutenfreeda.com/recipe-v...cat=12&id=3778

Desserts:
Pumpkin "cheese"cake: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11...heesecake.html

Veganized oreo truffles: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=27698.0

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#21 of 28 Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 PM

I will be hosting this year . My menu is pretty traditional:

Appetizers:
spiced almonds
kettle corn
smoked salmon & proscuitto w/ creme fraiche (sp?) on baguette? (depends on my motivation level)

Salad Course: (i.e. the way to get everyone out of my hair while I carve the Turkey)
green salad (provided by my mom)
bread (brought by my mom)
cranberry mold (think 1950's, my mom makes it, really it is good)

Dinner:
roast turkey
bread stuffing (yeah the kind that starts with a Pepperidge Farm bagged mix)
pan gravy
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes (w/ maple & orange, not the kind with marshmallows)
veg (still debating between brussels sprouts w/ garlic & bacon and green beans w/ almonds--the latter comes frozen in a box and is much easier. this probably also depends on my motivation level.)
cranberry sauce (out of a can)

Dessert:
coffee
pies w/ whipped cream (provided by my uncles, probably pumpkin and apple)

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#22 of 28 Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 AM

Usually, I prepare everything from scratch. But, I have a baby boy due around the end of the month... So, I want to simplify my food preparation. My sister will be helping me this year, as well.

Entree
*Turkey (already roasted from local market)
*Turkey gravy (made with the turkey gravy base from Williams Sonoma)
Side Dishes
*Mashed potatoes with chives
*Apple Walnut dressing
*Green bean casserole (not the Campbell's version...instead, made with white cheddar and fresh mushrooms)
*Acorn squash roasted with maple syrup
*Cranberry sauce (already prepared from local market)
*Rolls (already prepared from local bakery)
Dessert
*Pumpkin pie (already prepared from local bakery)
*Pecan pie (already prepared from local bakery)

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#23 of 28 Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm still working on my Thanksgiving menu.  I love to make great meals for my family, especially on Thanksgiving.  Here is what I have planned so far:

-Organic free-range turkey (stuffed with lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs to flavor it)

-Stuffing with apples, golden raisins, & turkey sausage

-Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream, fresh chives & roasted garlic

-Peas with honey & chopped pecans

-Corn with basil & mustard

-Homemade rolls or bread (might try a pumpkin challah bread recipe this year)

-Fresh cranberry sauce

-Spinach salad with mandarin oranges and candied pecans

-Sweet potatoes baked with maple syrup

-Pies

-Spiced apple cider

#24 of 28 Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year! :)

We're spending our first Thanksgiving home, as a family. I can't wait!

We plan to have:

Turkey

Dressing

Sweet Potatos

Green Beans

Apple Pie/Ice Cream for dessert.

It's just the 4 of us, so we figured it'd be best to go simple, seeing as everything will be from scratch! Mmm!

Stay at home mommy to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and baby due Dec 2014!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007!
#25 of 28 Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Oooo, maybe y'all can help me. Looks like we're going to MIL's for Thanksgiving. It's about 2.5 hrs away. Any suggestions for things I can bring? I'm leery of bringing something that has to be reheated as that just seems more trouble than it could be worth. MIL, of course, said we don't need to bring anything! She's a pretty adventurous eater other times of year (loves Thai), but Thanksgiving is very 1960s traditional—green bean casserole with can of mushroom soup and the little fried onions on top, squash casserole, maybe a jello mold. DH's sister will bring something like 7-layer dip, and lots of dessert. DH's brother also loves to make cakes and pies, too, so I probably don't need to bring anything sweet. We're a little bit more on the fresh, un-processed, local when possible, organic when possible side of things and DH has been leaning a little more in the raw direction lately. He also can't do dairy, although everyone else can.

So far I'm thinking maybe some smoked salmon with a (local, artisan) baguette sliced in rounds. Might do some kind of cream cheese based spread also, and then something non-dairy for DH—maybe a tapenade or sundried tomato spread. Considering a salad, but we're going down there on Thanksgiving day so I'd like it to be something that can be prepped ahead of time and won't involve me needing to be in the kitchen much at all. Fruit would be good, too. Our girls suggested a box of clementines, so I'm thinking that might be a good suggestion. I don't want to pre-slice fruit and have it brown. Maybe a spinach salad with some citrus, though.

Any other suggestions?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#26 of 28 Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM
HRJ

Yes! 

brined turkey

mashed potatoes

GF stuffing (cubes from my GF bakery)

butternut squash soup

green bean casserole (w/ GFCF mushroom soup from my bakery)

salad

brussel sprouts w/ walnuts and lemon

apple pie - GF/CF

pumpkin pie - GF/CF

rolls from the GF bakery w/ herbed butter (cheating on the butter maybe)

#27 of 28 Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 AM

We will be having 4 adults and a 6 year old, so yes, this is way too much food lol---but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I LOVE to cook! So we will have leftovers for a week :)

Roasted turkey

Orange Cranberry Sauce

Brown rice & gravy

Dirty Rice 

Cornbread-Mushroom Stuffing 

Maple Mashed Butternut Squash 

Lemon Green Beans with Almonds

Broccoli-Mandarin Salad

Sprouted Whole Wheat Rolls

Punch (1 liter Apple-Cinnamon tea, 1 liter Orange & Spice tea, 1 liter of sparkling apple cider)

Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream

Lemon Cheesecake bars

Pecan Pralines

Coffee

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#28 of 28 Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Finally got my menu nailed down.  Changed up my pies because it's just going to be us after all, but there are 6 of us, lol.  5 have adult appetites.

turkey
smoked ham
giblet gravy
dressing
roasted squash
dijon bacon green beans
rolls
cranberry cake
cranberry/pineapple/orange salad
lemon chess pie
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
sweet potato casserole
broccoli cranberry walnut salad
cream cheese corn casserole
stuffed mushrooms
sweet potato empanadas

spinach artichoke dip (I make mine more like a casserole)

Today I spent doing prep work.  I chopped celery, onions, garlic and froze for the dressing.  I blanched, chopped, and froze broccoli for the broccoli salad.  I made cranberry sauce and froze it.  I got 2 sweet potato casseroles (NOT the marshmallow kind!) in the freezer.  I got 2 spinach artichoke dips in the freezer.  I also made all my pie crusts and froze them.  I do this every year and it makes Tday SO easy for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page