Not used to handling -- turkey question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just bought a thawed 6 lbs breast to cook in a crockpot for my family on Thursday. Can I keep the thawed breast in the fridge, or should I freeze it until Thursday? How long can I keep a turkey breast safely in the fridge if it is thawed?

Thank you! Not used to handling meat and don't want to give my family food poisoning for the holiday ;)

#2 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 AM

I guess that depends on when it was thawed.  Are their any instructions on the package?  If you do freeze it, you are going to need to make sure that you take it out in time for it to defrost, the bigger the item, the more time it needs.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#3 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 AM

What's the best by date on it? If it's Thursday or after, I'd say go for it & leave it in the fridge. Otherwise yes, pop it in the freezer for a couple days until you're ready to use it. 

#4 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize it had instructions or a sell by date :) Oops!  The instructions said to use within four days or the sell-by date. I decided to put it in the freezer. The crockpot recipe I have calls for it to be either thawed or frozen, so I think it will work.  It was about a 20 minute trip by car from the grocery fridge to my  fridge at home, so I think I should be good. Thank you!

#5 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Do you have a meat thermometer? Especially if your'e starting from frozen, they're nice to have to make sure the bird is totally cooked. Turkey should be done to 165. I've actually thrown out a turkey (a whole, expensive turkey) because I inadvertently cooked it partially frozen, and when it seemed done, it really wasn't.

#6 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I will get a meat thermometer. I was going to leave it in the crockpot for 10+ hours per the recipe -- I am comfortable chucking it and going with a tofurkey if need be :)

#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 AM

May be too late, but it will take it about 2-3 days to thaw in the fridge.  If you come up short put in the sink and fill with cold water until thawed all the way.  Especially with crock pot cooking you want your meats to be thawed all the way and close to room temp if possible.  I like to leave whole birds (or big pieces like leg quarters or bone in breast) on the counter for an hour or so while I prep the rest of the meal.  Helps with the bloody bone issues in poultry.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page