January Meal Plans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just finished mine up so I thought I'd start this.

1-steak, pasta, roasted veggies

2-quesadillas (leftover pork roast)

4-ham stir fry

5-sandwiches, chips, fruit

6-leftovers

7-pizza

8-hot dogs, fries

9-baked chicken, roasted potatoes, corn

11-french toast

12-quesadillas

13-hamburgers, fries

14-pizza

15-out

16-pork roast, mashed potatoes, veggie

18-eggs, toast, fruit

19-stir fry

20-spaghetti, bread, veggie

21-pizza

22-out

23-ham and potato soup, bread

25-pancakes

26-tacos

27-fritata, toast

28-pizza

29-meatloaf, mashed potatoes, veggie

30-chicken calzones

We eat at my mom's once a week so those days aren't posted.  I only plan dinners, lunches are sandwiches or leftovers.  Breakfasts are bagels, oatmeal, casseroles, eggs.

#2 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

May I join?   I'm ready to get back on track in January.  I've got about 10 lbs to loose and really need to cut down on spending.  I just went grocery shopping today and bought food for 8 planned meals.

Tonight's supper is going to be whole wheat linguine with spinach, mushrooms, marinara sauce and cheese and green beans.

Alyantavid, I don't plan breakfast or lunch either.  We eat the same things for breakfast over and over (usually oatmeal) but I may need to start planning lunch or making larger suppers so we have leftovers.  I've been eating out for lunch too much.

#3 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Oh, I'd love to join in, too! I'll have to sit down, take a look at January and what we've got in the pantry. 

everyday adventures of a CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, natural living, fiber artist mama
#4 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalent Dreams View Post

May I join?   I'm ready to get back on track in January.  I've got about 10 lbs to loose and really need to cut down on spending.  I just went grocery shopping today and bought food for 8 planned meals.

Tonight's supper is going to be whole wheat linguine with spinach, mushrooms, marinara sauce and cheese and green beans.

Alyantavid, I don't plan breakfast or lunch either.  We eat the same things for breakfast over and over (usually oatmeal) but I may need to start planning lunch or making larger suppers so we have leftovers.  I've been eating out for lunch too much.

Of course!

I just make sure on the weekends that we have something for lunch.  Sometimes I'll make a big pot of soup that dh and I can eat all week, but even just bread and something to put on it works.  DS2 eats at daycare and ds1 eats at school or we pack something so I have to have sandwich stuff on hand for him.

#5 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Ok here's what I have been working on for the past hour. I try my best to make everything from scratch. I find it saves us quite a bit and feels good too! I usually serve dinner with a side veggie and a salad. Some nights we will have leftovers and I will probably make a few of these things twice. As for breakfast that is generally oatmeal and toast, but sometimes cold cereal or if we have time breakfast potatoes (mushrooms, onions, spinach, turmeric, garlic salt sauteed in a skillet, my fave!!!) or pancakes/waffles. Lunch is usually leftovers, sandwiches or a quick quesadilla and fruit.

January (in no particular order)

1- chicken pot pie, homemade bread

2- kale and squash pasta bake

3- spaghetti with meatballs

4- burritos

5-tostadas

6-chili w/ corn bread

7- chicken stir fry

8-leftovers

9- potato cheese soup w/ homemade bread

10- whole chicken in the crock pot,

11- red bean and rice,

12- lima bean soup w/ cornbread

13- chicken broccoli pasta, garlic bread

14- chicken tenders w/ homemade fries

15- naked burritos

16- pizza

17- minestrone soup

18- tamale pie

19- fettuccine with spinach and mushrooms

20- tri-tip w/ baked potatoes

21- spaghetti w/ garlic bread

22- lasagna

23- stuffed acorn squash

#6 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM

I finally had a chance to go through my cupboard and freezers to write down the random bits and pieces floating around in them so I could more effectively plan their use in the coming month's menu.  There was surprisingly not much that needed to be used, I must be doing a better job using ingredients than I had thought.  Here is our sketch of the month:

January
Mon. Tues. Wed. Thur. Fri. Sat. Sun.
          Spanakopita Salmon Salad Sandwiches
Beef Tacos Chicken Tortellini Soup Fried Fish Sandwiches Crepes Cider Baked Ham, Roast Veggies, Scalloped Potatoes General Tso's Chicken Salmon Salad Sandwiches
Ham and Bean Soup Chicken Marsala, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roast Carrots Ham Sandwiches or Omelets with Ham French Toast, Sausage Salad Pizza Steak, Fried Mushrooms & Onions, Creamed Spinach, Salad Salmon Salad Sandwiches
Meatloaf, Roast Veggies Rice and Beans Horseradish Honey Salmon Waffles, Bacon Spaghetti and Meatballs company Salmon Salad Sandwiches
Pepperoni Pan Pizzas Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, rice, green beans Spinach Lasagna Eggs, Home Fries Slumgullion Buffalo Chicken Wings, Fries, Salad Salmon Salad Sandwiches

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#7 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks!

Wow!  Yall have planned a whole month out.  I'm only doing a week or so at a time.  I like reading other people's meal plans though, it gives me ideas.  Here's what I've got:

Jan. 1 - hamburger steak, black eyed peas, new potatoes, candied carrots, baked peaches

Jan. 2 - grilled chicken breast, cheese grits, mashed butternut squash, steamed broccoli

Jan. 3 - rice and dahl, broccoli, cinnamon apples

Jan. 4 - dear sausage,  cheese grits, asparagus, black eyed peas

Jan. 5 - black bean quesadillas, guacamole

Jan. 6 - mini apple cheddar turkey meat loaves, new potatoes, lima beans

I frequently end up switching my days around.  For example, by noon today I may decide I don't want rice and dahl for supper and I might fix the quesadillas instead.

#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 AM

chicken with 40 cloves of garlic? Id love to see this recipe!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I frequently end up switching my days around.  For example, by noon today I may decide I don't want rice and dahl for supper and I might fix the quesadillas instead.

I do this ALL the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

chicken with 40 cloves of garlic? Id love to see this recipe!

I haven't made it yet but I was thinking I'd use SmittenKitchen's recipe as a base.  I have liked a lot of recipes I get from her.  I'll let you know how it turns out when I make it, it isn't scheduled until later on this month, though.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#10 of 13 Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM

So after falling off the meal planning wagon last month, I am officially back on! Holy cow, I had forgotten how much it sucked to try and come up with dinner from random things that barely went together! Seriously, last night we had ramen and carrot sticks. bag.gif

Well, here's from now until the 22nd:

Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, veg

Porkchops, rice, salad

Eggs w/ salsa, cornbread, fruit

Burritos

Baked Pasta, garlic bread

Enchiladas, corn

Meatloaf, mashed taters, veg

Chicken nuggets, homemade fries, salad

Tuna salad, crackers, cheese, raw veggies and fruit

French toast, sausagies (vegetarian sausage patties), fruit

Very glad to be back!

Quote:

This is why I don't even bother dating my meals, I just make what sounds the best that day!

Also, Snugglyroo, what in the world is Slumgullion??

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#11 of 13 Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Slumgullion was something my Mom came up with as a use for random bits of leftovers but ended up tasting so good that we started making it all the time, and not just from leftovers.  It is basically a ground beef stew with some onion broth and mixed veggies served over top of either elbow noodles (or really any kind of pasta) or mashed potatoes.  Some people like it with some shredded cheddar sprinkled on top.  She would used a package of dried onion soup as the broth but I am trying to get away from prepackaged foods (too much salt, MSG, chemicals, preservatives, etc.).  I will instead try to make the onion broth from scratch, if it turns out well I'll post the recipe on my blog.

I just looked it up because you made me curious if she had invented the word.  Apparently it is a real word and in cooking terms refers to a watery meat stew, which sounds spot on to me.

A rough approximation of her recipe would be along these lines:

Slumgullion

1 lb ground Beef
1 - 2 bags frozen mixed Vegetables
1 - 2 envelopes Onion Soup mix
Water to cover
2 -4 Tb Cornstarch dissolved in cool water  (optional, depending on if you want it thicker)
Cooked Elbow Macaroni, or Mashed Potatoes

In a large pot, brown the ground beef. Add all of the vegetables and soup mix and cover with water.

Continue cooking over medium to low heat until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally and leave the lid on for part of the cooking time.

Thicken with the cornstarch and water by mixing the two together in a small bowl or cup and stir into the stew. Cook 3-5 more minutes.

Serve over the cooked elbow noodles or potatoes.

#12 of 13 Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Going to try and jump back on this bandwagon after falling off (and getting run over) the last month. LOL! I will start mine with the 13th, since dh won't be home until then.

13. Corned Beef

14. Chicken Parmesan

17. Meatballs (slow cooker)

18. Chicken Enchiladas

19. Pepper Steak (slow cooker)

20. Fish and Shrimp

21. Sloppy Joes

24. Chicken Tortilla Soup (slow cooker)

25. Roast (slow cooker)

26. Chicken and Dumplings (slow cooker)

27. Breakfast for dinner

28. Pizza (homemade)

31. Chili (slow cooker)

All Mondays and Wednesdays until May will probably be slow cooker meals since I have a class from 5-6:15. I think dh will be gone for work from Feb 4-20 (somewhere around there) so I probably won't meal plan most of February either. My plan will probably be to make slightly more for the next couple weeks and freeze a serving of most of these meals so I can just defrost them while dp is gone.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#13 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Would love to join! I've been planning meals for a few months to help fine to the grociery budget. I've been doing weekly menus and have'nt got this weeks done yet but will post when I do later today (probably during nap time!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page