Kumquats? Help, please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

For 12 years, I got off easy, raising twin boys who are effortlessly healthy and fit and will eat anything.  They used to do adorable things like "sneak" extra slices of bell pepper from the fridge.

Then, 3 years ago, I was introduced to real-life parenting, when my then-8-year-old step-son came to live with us.  He is also adorable and I love him, but it is a real challenge sometimes, to affect healthy habits with him.  For one thing, he will not eat the fresh fruit I send in his lunch box, no matter what I've tried.  He knows I try and will discreetly toss his fruit in the trash can in his bedroom, to please me with the illusion that he ate it at school.  (Unfortunately, this makes his trash smell after a while and kind of defeats the purpose, but I try to appreciate the thought behind it.)

Recently, while grocery shopping with me, he quipped that if I would just buy "expensive, exotic" fruit (like his mom, in California, evidently eats), he'd be more inclined to eat it.  With his mom, there's a lot of emphasis on the importance of the 4 E's:  expensive, exclusive, exotic, eclectic.  My husband and I can't really afford those priorities...and don't really care.  But all differences in values aside, of course I wanted to know specifically what fruit - within reason - he considered "expensive and exotic" enough to eat, at lunch?  

Kumquats were on his list.  Kumquats were on sale.  Now we have a big bag of kumquats.  This morning, I made enticing-looking fruit salads for all the lunch boxes: sweet red grapefruit, purple grapes, kiwi slices and kumquats.  Then I tasted one.  Y-U-C-K!  I have been bamboozled.  For all my kid's theorizing about what he'd like to eat - based on how exotic he thought it was - left to his own devices, his tastes are those of a plain, old-fashioned junk food junkie:  refined sugar and carbs, refined sugar and carbs.  There is no way he's going to eat these things.  Neither will anyone else around here.  At least, not as fresh fruit.

So what else can you do with kumquats?  Does anyone have a good recipe for, say, Kumquat Beef and Snow Peas?  Help!     

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How old is he now, 11?  If it were me I'd tell him that he had to eat them all since they were on his list and you got them for him.  Consequences, buddy boy.  I have absolutely no experience with kumquats so I can't really help you there.  Also, next time I'd only buy 1 or 2 of a new variety, less waste if it is gross (either naturally or because it wasn't purchased at ideal ripeness).

A quick search brought me to FoodBlogga's site with this post.  I haven't made it so I can't vouch for this recipe, but I have liked other things I've made of hers.

Another suggestion might be to try baking with it as a replacement for lemons?  But again, no experience with how this turns out.  Let us know if you try it and really like it.

Good luck!

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I had no idea you're supposed to eat the rind.  Counter-intuitively, it sounds like that improves the taste!  Cooking them, too.  I will definitely try one of the recipes.

When I say we have a "big bag" of kumquats, I mean volume, not size.  There must be 50 fruits in there (hence, my unwillingness to waste them), but the whole bag is not much bigger than a good grapefruit.  In other words, it didn't seem like I was buying that much, at the time.  

I can see the logic in telling my step-kid he has to finish them off, since I indulged his "exotic" tastes.  But, I guess I'm a wimp.  I feel like we're constantly telling him he either has to eat something he doesn't want to (salad) or that he can't eat something he does want to ("The doughnut was a special treat.  You can't wash it down with a smoothie...I know "smoothie" sounds healthier than "milkshake", but nutritionally they're not that far apart.  The reason smoothies taste so good is because they're so sweet...Oh, you're mostly interested in the vitamins?  Great.  Here's a vitamin!")  With those types of daily conversations going on, I just can't bring myself to force him to eat a whole bag of things that I myself spat in the trash!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM

I definitely see your point but I would make him eat/taste at least one.  Hopefully cooking them helps a lot!

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM

You definitely don't peel them. 

I like them thinly sliced on top of a salad.

And I also have a really good recipe for a kumquat "relish" that makes a great sauce for meat.  Pretty sure this is the recipe...

2 cups kumquats, stemmed, quartered, seeded
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
4 small shallots, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chiles, divided
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Using on/off turns, finely chop kumquats in processor (do not puree). Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, apple, and 1 tablespoon jalapeño. Cook until shallots are soft, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add chopped kumquats, apricots, 3/4 cup water, sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil until mixture thickens, about 6 minutes. Transfer marmalade to small bowl. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons jalapeño. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Rewarm before serving.)

I believe I cut the jalapeno in half, and I know I canned some of it and froze the rest with good results.  It makes a great accompaniment to poultry or pork and in this form will last in the fridge for a couple weeks. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

I definitely see your point but I would make him eat/taste at least one.  Hopefully cooking them helps a lot!

yummy.gif  I did.  First, I tried one with the rind on...and I really liked it!  Who would've guessed that the rind is sweet?  Then I lined up all of our kids and had them try one.  My step-son said it was "OK".  I laughingly told him I'd received the advice, from my Mothering site, to make him finish off the whole bag.  Without batting an eyelash, he said that would be fine.  However, I've sent him one in his lunch each day, along with a handful of Craisins.  He hasn't touched them.  So, we're still telling him since he won't eat fruit at school, if he wants a snack when he gets home, it's fruit!

However, one of my teenage twin sons discovered that he just LOVES kumquats!  (Predictably, this is the son who'd be satisfied if his only liquid intake were Tabasco sauce).

Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recipe, Cristeen!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Roll the kumquat around in your hands before you eat it - this releases the oils in the skin & makes it taste better, plus it's kinda fun. smile.gif

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

A quick search brought me to FoodBlogga's site with this post.  I haven't made it so I can't vouch for this recipe, but I have liked other things I've made of hers.

I highly recommend this recipe!  We used chicken instead of scallops; brown rice; and serrano peppers instead of jalapenos.  The peppers were REALLY hot, so you might want to pull them out after you cook the sauce and only offer them to your bravest diners.  But it tastes terrific and unusual; and, with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top of the sauce, it's really pretty, too!

My 11-y-o step-son (the one I bought the kumquats for) chopped all the ingredients and cooked the sauce!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post

I highly recommend this recipe!  We used chicken instead of scallops; brown rice; and serrano peppers instead of jalapenos.  The peppers were REALLY hot, so you might want to pull them out after you cook the sauce and only offer them to your bravest diners.  But it tastes terrific and unusual; and, with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top of the sauce, it's really pretty, too!

My 11-y-o step-son (the one I bought the kumquats for) chopped all the ingredients and cooked the sauce!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, and I'm VERY glad to hear that he participated in using "his" ingredient orngbiggrin.gif, that must have been encouraging.

User Tag List