Leftover Chili - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright ladies, I need help! I made chili last week and still have some left, even though we ate it at least 3 times!! I swear I didn't make that much... When your hubby only eats one bowl and your DD refuses to eat it randomly...I guess this is what happens:) Well, I don't have enough to freeze and am not really in the mood to make chili-mac or a mexican dish... we ate that out last night. Any other idea? Or am I stuck with making quesadillas? Thanks so much!!!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM

I love it served over cornbread. Or if I'm going to splurge over fritos LOL.

swede likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

I love chili on top of a hot baked pototoe!  Sprinkle with shredded cheddar and top with sourcream, YUM! eat.gif

Of course nachos would be really easy and yummy too!

sarahn4639 and swede like this.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Hillbillyhousewife.com has some neat ideas for "stretching" chili. One that we have done and liked was chili muffins; fill cups of a muffin tin half way with chili, top off with a basic cornbread or corn muffin batter, sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake. Yummy.

swede likes this.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#5 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I've seen the chili muffins recipe on hillbilly housewife too and want to try that next time we make chili. Putting chili on baked potatoes is one of my favorites for leftovers. Depending on your tastes and how you make your chili could you maybe turn it into a soup of some kind? The last time I made chili it was basically 3 beans, some hamburger meat, chopped veggies (bell peppers, onions, tomatoes) and a little seasoning. Could easily have been made into a soup by adding some extras. I think the chili I made would've been a good soup with some added potatoes and green beans and maybe some more tomato soup or a broth.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#6 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM

You can fold it into an omelet.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM

I know you said you're not in the mood for chili-mac, but Cincinnati chili is my absolute favorite meal.  Might have to make a big pot of chili now.....yum!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page