What is your biggest problem about feeding your children a healthy diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am the happy mother of twin, seven year old daughters. I have been trying to feed them a healthy, nutritious diet. But sometimes this can be a challenge. I am currently working on an ebook trying to address the obstacles that may hinder well-intentioned parents from feeding their children a healthy diet. I would love your input on the challenges and frustrations you face each day with your children. Any comments or ideas you can provide would be so appreciated. Have a wonderful day.

Many blessings,

Lorrie 

#2 of 4 Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Honestly, the only challenge I face is that they will not eat it!!!  My oldest rarely tries new things.  It is very frustrating.  My middle child will at least try, but usually ends up not liking it.  And my youngest....heaven help me.....won't go near anything green, or most fruits.  They all freak out at whole grain breads,  & hate sides that involve any grain.  I could go on & on....

Basically I love healthy food, they don't, so to make life easier, I oohh-and-aah over healthy meals (to try to convince them) while they eat their choices. :(

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 4 Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM

The ONLY hinderance Ive had is the other kids lunches at school.

My DD ate an incredibly nutritious diet until she became self conscious of her "weird food

She would eat seaweed, lentils, avocados, beans, veggies, brown rice.............. all good stuff.

When she went to kindergarten some of the kids would make comments about her food and she started to refuse to open her lunch box. She wasnt eating so I had to start sending her "normal" lunches.

She still eats some of the healthy food at home.

Now she is in second grade and her attitude toward the food that she has lived on all her life has changed.

She tells me all of the name brand goodies all her friends have and how she hates our food.

I hide a lot in the snacks I bake and made sure she eats broccoli and fruit everyday.

#4 of 4 Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM

A couple of obstacles-

Dd does not like change or trying new things- including food.

Dd does not like any vegetable but corn at this time. She will not eat raw vegetables at all.

Things she previously ate well she will not eat now because one time she did not like the taste.

She thinks store bought or restaurant prepared foods taste better than my homemade meals. She does not like my cooking much.

A couple of positive things-

Dd will eat almost any fruit.

I have been able to switch to whole grain bread or whole wheat tortillas.

She will eat whole grain pasta and wild rice.

She will eat beans in some forms- like burritos or chili.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page