Recently Had Surgery - What to Eat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently had abdominal surgery, and was told that I could ease back into my regular diet, but I am finding that I have aversions to certain foods, and am not able to eat very much without cramping and other issues.  Has anyone been faced with a similar situation, and what did you do to ensure that you were receiving adequate nutrition?

#2 of 2 Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ceeveg. I hope that your recovery is going well. I also had abdominal surgery about eight months ago. I focused on food that was easily digested and nutrient dense. I would usually start my mornings with a green smoothie (fruit, water and a choice of greens - spinach, chard, romaine lettuce, kale, beet greens, etc.) Later I would have another smoothie packed with fruit, rice milk, hemp seeds, dates and frozen berries. Yummy!!! Lunch was usually a simple bean/veggie soup. Supper was the same but usually I would have a big bowl of oatmeal (my fave comfort food) topped with rice milk, maple syrup and flax seeds. I munched on fresh fruit whenever I was hungry. Also, I would supplement with Vega (whole food supplement). It would provide all of my nutrients for the day in one serving. I usually mixed it with water or in a smoothie. My family still uses this as our main supplement every day, even my kids have it. I found that when I cut out the Tylenol #3 which made me completely loopy, dizzy and nauseous, I felt way better and I was able to hold my food down. (Sometimes though, I still had the urge to run to the bathroom or grab a bucket - or husband...poor guy...ha ha....when I felt the need to throw up.) I would recommend lots of rest and water too. I found it helpful to eat smaller meals and snack more throughout the day. What foods do you like and what foods are you avoiding? It's best to always trust the wisdom of your own body and follow what works for you. If you want to just eat oatmeal for a whole week, well that's OK too. Your body knows best. Good luck on your journey!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page