What size freezer do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking at buying a chest freezer hopefully tomorrow actually as they are on sale at Sears... but not sure what size. My husband thinks the smallest size (5.1 cu ft) but I think we would rapidly out grow it if I plan to make a bunch of freezer meals, buy local grassfed beef, pork and free range chicken. Maybe extra bread, muffins, cookies etc before baby #4 arrives. I was thinking more along the lines of the 8.8cu ft one. So what works or doesn't work for you??

Thank you!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#2 of 7 Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM

I also originally thought we should go with a smaller one, but we ended up getting a 22 cu ft one because we found an awesome deal on craigslist and I can't imagine using a smaller one now!  I know ours is pretty huge and that isn't for everyone but I would suggest going with something bigger than the 5.5 for sure!  They fill up WAY faster than you think they will.  From what you said you'd be putting in it, I think even the 8.8 would be pretty packed.  In ours we have a variety of extra breads, shredded cheeses, chicken, beef, pork, fruit, vegetables, freezer meals, yogurt and a few convenience foods and it's completely filled but not packed and it's still easy to rotate things.    Although, I doubt most people have quite the quantity we have of these things...  Anyway, definitely go for something bigger than the 5.5!   

#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well we ended up going with the 7.1 I think. It seemed plenty big for a while and now that I'm actually stocking up on things for once #4 arrives it is definitely too small! :) I thought it would be but DH was unconvinced that I would actually use it. So we'll see.... Maybe it's time to find a cheap upright to add to our collection. :)

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#4 of 7 Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM

We have 2 uprights--one 21 cu ft, and one that's way smaller, but not sure what size.  7 maybe?  Plus 2 refrigerators with freezers.  I need another freezer.  But we raise all our meats, have goat milk now, buy most groceries once a month, and have been known to get gallons and gallons of berries and peaches at a time. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM

We have a 16 cu ft upright. It seemed huge when we got it, compared to our old 8cu ft chest, but I really wanted at least 20 & I'm regretting we didn't hold out for a bigger one (even though the 16 barely fit in the door)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM

I don't know what size ours is, but when we first got it and right after we moved, it was not full. Freezers run more efficiently if they are 1/2 or more full. We filled gallon milk jugs about 3/4 full with water and put them in the bottom to fill the space. As we needed the room, I moved them to the fridge to thaw and keep the fridge cool for free.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

We just purchased a 7.0 cubic square foot freezer last month. It'll hold an 1/8 of beef and half a hog (neither of which we've been able to actually purchase yet) as well as a decent amount of freezer meals and frozen veg. It's a good sized freezer for a family of three, but I can see us needing a second one 4-5 years down the line. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page