Mothering Forum banner

Help me "MacGyver" some enchilada sauce

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mamalisa 
#1 ·
I have a well-stocked pantry ... but just realized I don't have enchilada sauce for dinner tonight. I can start with a can of tomato soup as a base, or I also have a can of petite-diced tomatoes.

What would you add to make it taste yummy?

The filling is pork, corn, green chiles, and sour cream, if that matters.

#2 ·
Now I'm hungry for enchiladas...

I always make my own sauce. I saute' onions and bell peppers and a little bit of bacon cut up. Then I add cumin and chili powder to taste and diced canned tomatoes...the amount depends on how many enchildads you are making. You can also add jalapenos and tomato sauce/paste (and in your case soup) too. I like mine 'chunkier'. Anyway, it's a simple sauce and quite tasty!

#3 ·
Hmmm. this is my recipe. I would think if you drained the chopped tomatoes and cooked them down to a syrup it might work instead of the paste?? Or cut back on the water and replace with the drained tomato juice? The tomato soup base could work too, but might be too sweet.

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 Tbsp chili powder

2 Tbsp flour

1/2 Tsp cumin

1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper

2 cups water

1 cup (small can) tomato paste

1 Tsp minced garlic

1 Tsp minced onion or shallot

salt to tase

In small skillet heat the oil until hot, add flour and chili powder and to cook for a minute or two. Don't let burn. Add everything else, stir to combine. Simmer, stirring every once and while, for about 20-30 minutes until thick.

#4 ·
I would use the tomatoes and some chicken broth. Warm and add in some cumin, chili powder and paprika. Do you have tomato paste? It's great for adding to broth bases to make "sauce" that isn't necessarily tomato. I might thicken it a bit with some flour as well, but if you use tomato paste you won't need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.