Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  20  60  110  ... Last
Meal Planning > Dinner - What Are You Having?
Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:23 AM 11-18-2011

I'm going to roast a couple of turkeys and then can the meat.  Then I'll can the stock if I don't just simmer it down like I did the beef and put it in ice cube trays.  I'll also plan to smoke a couple of turkeys and can that, and that stock (love smoked stock!).  Then I'll stick a few in the freezer for later.  I can get lots and lots of meals out of a turkey!

I canned those 2 fresh hams cut into chunks yesterday.  It looks kinda weird, because the recipe (from the Kerr canning book) said to add a couple of Tbsp of pan drippings (after I browned the meat) or stock or water.  I think for my next batch I'll fill the jar w/stock like in another canning book of mine.  When I was browning the meat my son came in salivating, lol. 

I was also making stock yesterday and ended up taking way more time canning than I'd planned so we ate pizza.  bag.gif

Tonight is soup (pork stock) w/celery, carrot, potato, sweet potato and swiss chard.  And we'll have a big salad w/lettuce from our garden.  (we are using upright freezers as raised beds).  I have a few big beets to use and I think I'll just bake them for a simple side.  Anyone have fav. beet recipes? I'm not crazy about them (very rare for me, lol), but I do love my beet pickles!

Also making home made oreos for my oldest's bday a day late.  My FIL backed his truck into the front of our van and we are borrowing their car.  So my dh decided to crash the front of their car into the back of a truck.  Grrrr. (kinda funny though, and thankfully we know a body guy who wants dh to do some electrical work for him...) Kinda threw me off about the bday plans!  Thankfully she's 23 and understands.  What a week.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:29 AM 11-18-2011

Oh my god, we're having turkey tonight. :-( We're going to my in laws for the weekend and that's what they're making for dinner. Who makes turkey a week before Thanksgiving? Oh well, I guess I don't have to cook, so... 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:38 AM 11-18-2011

No one I know, lol.  I make everyone wait and wait for that turkey and dressing!

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 12:57 PM 11-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Tonight is soup (pork stock) w/celery, carrot, potato, sweet potato and swiss chard.  And we'll have a big salad w/lettuce from our garden.  (we are using upright freezers as raised beds).  I have a few big beets to use and I think I'll just bake them for a simple side.  Anyone have fav. beet recipes? I'm not crazy about them (very rare for me, lol), but I do love my beet pickles!

My favorite thing to do with beets lately is to roast or steam them, slice them,dress them while warm with a basic vinaigrette with fresh thyme in it then top them with chopped kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese. It's delicious. I had a gorgeous chocolate cake made with grated beets at a friend's house - you couldn't tell but it had a really deep flavor.
Mom31's Avatar Mom31 12:27 PM 11-19-2011

I made the best dinner all by accident. First I made this recipe for Shrimp Chowder- and it just was not that good... well it was good but missing something. Well I had made a box of red beans and rice for my son( he loves it) and decided to mix the two together. It was delish!!!

So good- I want to tell you how to make it

OK... first you chop one onion, half cup of carrots and celery( I would use more veggies next time and maybe mushrooms too)

Put 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and put in veggies

add in 2 tbsp of thyme

add in shrimp( recipe called for 1 lb  and I  used 2 lbs cause I love shrimp) and 2 tbsp of flour to thicken the sauce

Put a box of broth into a pot- I used vegetable and a med. container  of heavy whipping cream it called for one cup of broth and 1.3 c heavy whipping cream but I wanted to make more

Bring to boil and add ingredients.... I added more thyme cause I liked the flavor simmer.

Make a box of red beans and rice

Dish red beans and rice and pour soup over. It is so so so so so so good.

I will definetly make this again.

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 12:29 PM 11-19-2011

Chana Masala is an indian dish....

All I do is saute some onion with some curry paste and curry seasoning, add in chick peas and cook with butter( about 2-3 tbsp) and then add in tomato paste or if I am out of it ketchup works too.  I put it on top of rice and add cilantro- fresh- you can eat it without the cilantro but its not near as good.

DD loves it ds not so much.

It s a bit spicy but you can reduce the spice by how much curry paste you put in.

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 12:17 PM 11-20-2011
last night we had sloppy joes, and tonight is a pork loin i got on sale last time i went shopping. we're getting tired of chicken and ground beef, but those are cheapest here, lol. we'll probably have roasted potatoes and carrots with it

we got a new-to--us breadmaker last night for free, and im excited. i actually cant tell if its even been used, lol, it was still in the box with all the manuals and stuff. i love making bread, but i havent had the time in oh, like 2 years, lol... since i got divorced and went back to work. a bread maker is a good compromise. we used it on the timer setting last night, and woke up to fresh bread this morning. i realized as i was putting my yeast up though, that it had expired in march! and the bread didnt rise much, so i need to get some more. it was still good, just very dense.
MommyofNRM's Avatar MommyofNRM 07:25 PM 11-20-2011

I made a pork tenderloin tonight and it came out so-so. I haven't felt like cooking lately so maybe that's part of the problem. I have chicken breasts for tomorrow and then spaghetti and meatballs Tuesday. We leave Wednesday night to go to in-laws for Thanksgiving so we'll probably just grab a pizza before we leave. Thanksgiving used to be my favorite holiday but mil sorta ruined it for me. It would seem Thanksgiving with them is our new tradition (since I refuse to give up Christmas) and she makes Stove Top stuffing (my mom makes yummy homemade stuffing) and she uses canned veggies which I just find mushy and unappetizing. She's also combining Thanksgiving with Christmas since she won't see us for Christmas. UGH. I'm going to put on my brave face since she's having a hard time dealing with her 3 children grown and moved away. Hope everyone has a nice holiday! 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:49 PM 11-20-2011

I finally learned how to multi-quote too! Ah, it's the little things. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

Chana Masala is an indian dish....

All I do is saute some onion with some curry paste and curry seasoning, add in chick peas and cook with butter( about 2-3 tbsp) and then add in tomato paste or if I am out of it ketchup works too.  I put it on top of rice and add cilantro- fresh- you can eat it without the cilantro but its not near as good.

DD loves it ds not so much.

It s a bit spicy but you can reduce the spice by how much curry paste you put in.

I love chana masala. It's such a great meatless dinner. Though I never use cilantro since I'm one of those people that thinks it tastes like soap. I seriously cannot abide even one leaf in my food. If I'm feeling like I'll go the extra mile for color, I'll put in parsley instead but usually I just leave it out without substituting it. When we go camping, I really like the Tasty Bites packets - you just heat them in boiling water and pour over rice. It's a really delicious one pot meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post

last night we had sloppy joes, and tonight is a pork loin i got on sale last time i went shopping. we're getting tired of chicken and ground beef, but those are cheapest here, lol. we'll probably have roasted potatoes and carrots with it

I love sloppy joes! I should make some soon, as we're basically in the same boat with the chicken and ground meat. I do home made barbecue sauce, so I usually just tweak it a bit for the sloppy joe flavor. 

I'm so excited - we did stock up shopping today and dropped a tidy sum, but our pantry is stocked in dry goods for the next 4-6 weeks, easy. I bought a 25 pound bag of flour for $10.00!!! Before you tell me I'm crazy, we're doing our own bread and sweet treats every week plus a lot of holiday baking for Christmas. Buying five 5 pound bags would run close to $25.00, so I feel like I got a huge deal there. And we picked up our turkey and ham for Thanksgiving. 

I didn't cook at all this weekend really since we were at the in laws all weekend. We had the turkey on Friday, and they did a ham on Saturday! And now I'm making it again this week... it's a good thing I like ham. Turkey I'm only so-so on. But it'll still be good, plus I'm excited to make stock with the carcass - I have over a gallon of veggie trim in the freezer for it, so I'll do that up on Friday during the day. Tonight I just threw together a quick marinara sauce with spaghetti and home made meatballs I had in the freezer since we got home late and were both exhausted. It was pretty good, but my husband's marinara is way better. Not sure why since we basically do it the same way... funny how that works huh?

Not sure what I'm doing for tomorrow night, but I certainly have a full larder to work with! 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 09:19 AM 11-21-2011

I am tired, and I just got up.  I was up til almost 4 a.m. and am about to get back to work.   Yesterday evening we butchered our last 2 pigs.  They weren't huge, but together they both were about 200 lbs.  So I spent last night scraping hides and starting the lard rendering pot.  I have 2 huge coolers full of meat that I have to process today (remove meat from bones, cut meat into chunks for grinding and other cuts, grind, wrap, label), stock to start, a pie to bake before the violin/piano teachers get here because I'm selling it to them, and start processing all those plums.  Thankfully plums can sit a few days. 

Anyway, last night was leftover soup (i accidentally found that tapioca noodles from the Asian market are fantastic for soup 'cause they don't dissolve all the way when the soup is left over..), salad, and toasted bread.  I had made a huge breakfast that tided us over w/a little cheese and cracker tray for a snack later.   Tonight is liver and onions.  The liver from these pigs was the healthiest I've ever seen.  I used to dislike liver w/a passion til my dh conned me into cooking some for him once.  I use about 7 onions in mine, and caramelize the heck outta them first.  Now I LOVE liver and onions, and w/the way we've been missing red meat, I know our bodies will thank me tonight for the iron-rich liver.  My son is already drooling. 

So yeah, this will be a busy week.  I have a bunch more pies to bake (sent a pie order form w/my dh to work), pies to bake for our Tday, plus I need to start prep for the Big Day.  I like to have very little cooking stress on Tday so I do most of the work the 2 days prior.

KQ, isn't it nice to be stocked up?  I am working on filling my pantry lately, and am watching like a hawk for sales on veggies to dehydrate or freeze.  Aldi had sugar and flour each for .99/bag (4lb and 5lb, respectively), but they had a limit of 4 each.  My dh and oldest dd will stop by tonight on the way home and go thru separate lanes to get more.  Since we are bee keepers, that is a good price for sugar and we need lots for the winter feedings).  And flour will be for holiday baking for gift baskets. Oh, and they had cranberries .99/bag so I got 8 (will have dh pick up more today), and they had canned pumpkin (one of the few canned items I buy) for .99/can, so I bought a case and probably should have bought 3 cases.  They also had chopped walnuts on sale, and just so happens that 4 of the pies I need to make are walnut praline pumpkin. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:43 AM 11-21-2011

Quote:

KQ, isn't it nice to be stocked up?  I am working on filling my pantry lately, and am watching like a hawk for sales on veggies to dehydrate or freeze.  Aldi had sugar and flour each for .99/bag (4lb and 5lb, respectively), but they had a limit of 4 each.  My dh and oldest dd will stop by tonight on the way home and go thru separate lanes to get more.  Since we are bee keepers, that is a good price for sugar and we need lots for the winter feedings).  And flour will be for holiday baking for gift baskets. Oh, and they had cranberries .99/bag so I got 8 (will have dh pick up more today), and they had canned pumpkin (one of the few canned items I buy) for .99/can, so I bought a case and probably should have bought 3 cases.  They also had chopped walnuts on sale, and just so happens that 4 of the pies I need to make are walnut praline pumpkin. 

Yeah, it totally is! I always say that food in the pantry is better than money in the bank. You got some good deals - we split shopping that way too when they put limits on quantity. Canned pumpkin is really one of the only canned goods I buy anymore too, since I've gotten back to dried beans and putting up my own tomatoes. I also buy canned tuna and tomato paste, but that's really it. We spent about $50 more than we planned on our shopping trip, but that's okay because the food will just go further and we won't have to worry about grocery trips later. I did stock up on peanut butter a bit - we don't eat a ton, but enough that we'd miss not having it on hand. I got a GIANT jar for $6.00, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting two. We also got half a dozen each of Jiffy cornbread (only boxed baking mix I buy), soy milk and soy margarine, as well as a dozen tomato pastes, three jars of Better Than Bouillion (cheaper than the boxes and I can control the concentration - wish I made enough home made to meet our needs, but I never do...), the 25 pound bag of flour, 20 pounds of sugar, two bags of brown sugar, two jumbo bags of egg noodles, a dozen bags of pasta, big packs of tea and coffee, giant bags of pinto beans, navy beans, lentils - oh, I know I'm forgetting things, but you get the idea. :-) We just went crazy. Winter time does that to me I think. And grocery shopping isn't as easy as it used to be with the baby. It was a treat to get out just my husband and I to do it - we joked that it was the best date we'd had in a long time. Hahahaha.

Dinner - I've got some thick cut pork chops defrosting in the fridge with not a clue what to do with them. I don't want to repeat the dish I did last week even though it was so tasty. Maybe I'll just simmer them in some sauerkraut and have some buttered egg noodles on the side. It's mighty cold here today so comfort food sounds good to me. And maybe I'll get around to doing up a loaf of light rye - some buttered bread sounds good to me too. 

And I still want to hear everyone's Thanksgiving menus! I've seen a few up thread, but I know more of you are cooking. :-) 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:37 AM 11-21-2011

Tday menu...

2 turkeys--both brined-one roasted and one smoked

1 smoked ham

rolls

dressing (I do a combo of cornbread and other bread)

acorn squash stuffed w/golden raisins, dates, apples, and nuts

green bean casserole because all our guests usually want it

dijon bacon brussels sprouts

sweet potato casserole--no marshmallows here

cranberry sauce

cranberry/pineapple/orange salad

sweet potato pie

pecan pie

walnut praline pumpkin pie

egg custard pie

lemon chess pie

Amish oatmeal coconut pie

crustless cranberry pie

cheese ball/cracker tray

relish tray

broccoli cranberry salad

That is just what I'm making, lol.  I'm asking everyone else to bring whatever they want, but also to bring something green.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:52 AM 11-21-2011

That's a lot! And it all sounds good too. How many are you having to dinner? And are you smoking your turkey yourself, or buying it pre-smoked?

CookiePie's Avatar CookiePie 03:42 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I've been thinking about chicken sandwiches a lot lately. I found a recipe on Pinterest that's supposed to be the knock off of the Chik-Fil-A chicken sandwich that I want to try. I've never had theirs, but it's supposed to be the chicken sandwich, so it's on my to do list.

Tonight I'm using the kielbasa and some of the Lacinato kale in a Portugese Kale & Sauasage soup, from my crockpot book. I love, love, love that book. Real food from the slow cooker. Where has this book been all my life? And we'll finish the last of the epi with it too; need to bake some more tomorrow.

Thanks for this!  It looks amazing!  the sandwiches that I made were just, broiled breasts with homemade honey mustard, lettuce & tomato!

Nov

19  Shitake & baby protabella mushrooms, onions and kale pizza on homemade whole wheat dough with a huge salad! Delicious! 

20: Garlicy French lentils & swiss chard with cherry tomatos, lemon juice over linguini with feta cheese...This was just a throw together dish that was amazing!  DH kept telling me how much he loved it! 

21: Homemade sloppy joes, on whole wheat rolls, asian broccoli slaw & smiles 

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 07:01 PM 11-21-2011
my pork loin last night wasnt that great. it was kind of tough. it probably could have cooked longer, but it was getting late, and we needed to eat dinner... ive got a chunk of it left to do something with tomorrow, but im not sure what. fried rice/noodles is usually our go to dinner for leftover meat, but we'll see. tonight it was chicken breasts marinated in italian dressing with the leftover potatoes and carrots from last night. yummy smile.gif
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:59 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

my pork loin last night wasnt that great. it was kind of tough. it probably could have cooked longer, but it was getting late, and we needed to eat dinner... ive got a chunk of it left to do something with tomorrow, but im not sure what. fried rice/noodles is usually our go to dinner for leftover meat, but we'll see. tonight it was chicken breasts marinated in italian dressing with the leftover potatoes and carrots from last night. yummy smile.gif

You could simmer your leftover pork loin in a little chicken stock and apricot preserves until it's as tender as you like it. Add in a bit of dijon mustard if you like. It's good with egg noodles or potatoes. 

For our pork chops tonight, I did them in sauerkraut with half a caramelized onion, a couple tablespoons of cider and some caraway. Pretty good. I served egg noodles and my rye bread alongside. Home made chocolate chip cookies for dessert. 

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 09:51 PM 11-21-2011
that sounds good. i know my mom used to glaze pork with apricot preserves, so i know shed like it too. i might do that, and leave some plain for mr picky pants who doesnt like his food wet, lol

thats why i love this thread, it is helping me out of my dinner time rut smile.gif
Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 11:13 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

I love warm beets with sour cream with some horseradish mixed in it. 

Beets and Orange Slices in a salad with a sweet and sour dressing and candied pecans or slivered almonds. 

And, then there's Borscht. I made it this weekend and had it for lunch today. I browned a bone-in beef shank in oil, salt and pepper. Then browned 2 medium sliced onions, several carrots cut in chunks (not traditional), several celery stalks cut in chunks, one cabbage cut in wedges, 4 medium peeled and sliced beets. I browned these all together, then added 6 or 8 cups of water, a bay leaf and cooked in the oven at 300 for 3 hours. Then I added some pureed tomato, 1 to 2 peeled and grated beets, 2 TBL apple cider vinegar and 2 TBL honey. Cook for another hour and adjust seasonings. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. 

Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 11:20 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

I'm thinking a stir fry would be good with the pork. I like onions, carrots, spinach, mung beans, mushrooms. Add the thinly sliced pork at the end just to heat it through, maybe get some a little crispy. Add a little dry mustard if you have it. Any vegetables will do. Over rice. Serve with a cucumber salad.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:58 AM 11-22-2011

Tonight I'm doing 15 bean soup. I put the beans to soak last night and will cook them in the crockpot in a bit when I really get up and going for the day. I'll add an onion and some home made bacon cubes to it (found a slab when I cleaned out the freezers). Should be good with the rye bread I made yesterday. 

nald1's Avatar nald1 11:07 AM 11-22-2011

looking forward to squash, brussel sprouts and "chickenless strips" on a big bed of greens - with some yummy bread after a slice of greasy too cheesy pizza last night- ugh

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 02:56 PM 11-22-2011

tonight my guy is cooking- salmon, asparagus, and bread. :) He is a great cook.

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 08:58 PM 11-22-2011
tonight my mom made her hamburger macaroni and tomato thing she does. its almost like spaghetti, but not quite, and the noodles are actually cooked in the tomato sauce. its simple and yummy. we had peas with it, and im going to have some more in a bit after i put ds to bed, lol
Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:12 AM 11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Thanks for this!  It looks amazing!  the sandwiches that I made were just, broiled breasts with homemade honey mustard, lettuce & tomato!

Nov

19  Shitake & baby protabella mushrooms, onions and kale pizza on homemade whole wheat dough with a huge salad! Delicious! 

20: Garlicy French lentils & swiss chard with cherry tomatos, lemon juice over linguini with feta cheese...This was just a throw together dish that was amazing!  DH kept telling me how much he loved it! 

21: Homemade sloppy joes, on whole wheat rolls, asian broccoli slaw & smiles 

Yum.  That pizza sounds like something I would absolutely love.  One time I made a pizza w/leftover Emerald Sesame Kale on it, and an Asian dressing as the sauce and it was so good.  That lentil dish sound divine, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

I love warm beets with sour cream with some horseradish mixed in it. 

Beets and Orange Slices in a salad with a sweet and sour dressing and candied pecans or slivered almonds. 

And, then there's Borscht. I made it this weekend and had it for lunch today. I browned a bone-in beef shank in oil, salt and pepper. Then browned 2 medium sliced onions, several carrots cut in chunks (not traditional), several celery stalks cut in chunks, one cabbage cut in wedges, 4 medium peeled and sliced beets. I browned these all together, then added 6 or 8 cups of water, a bay leaf and cooked in the oven at 300 for 3 hours. Then I added some pureed tomato, 1 to 2 peeled and grated beets, 2 TBL apple cider vinegar and 2 TBL honey. Cook for another hour and adjust seasonings. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. 

I've made Borscht before and while everyone else loved it, I just did not.  I guess I'm just not a beet person, lol.  The beets and orange salad sounds like I should try it, though.  And the beets w/sour cream and horseradish sounds like I might like it.  Thanks for the ideas!

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:13 AM 11-23-2011

I would make pizza, fried rice, or plop it in a nice Asian inspired soup.  MMMMM.

Quote:

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:18 AM 11-23-2011

Sorry for all the posts, lol.  I was up 'til 2 a.m. canning plums last night and I'm a bit groggy. 

Last night we were supposed to have ribs but I couldn't get them in the oven soon enough so they went in the freezer (they were from our pigs).  Instead I made homemade breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and biscuits w/choice of loganberry jam, red plum jam, or 3 kinds of honey.  A friend brought some new (raw) honey by and it was so lovely!  It tasted very fruity.  The bees had been to California to pollinate orange crops and then to S. Dakota to pollinate some other kind of fruit trees.  I also have some that we harvested in another county that has a slightly minty aftertaste from all the horse mint in that area.  Then another that tastes like a field of wildflowers on fire on your tongue-that was from my backyard from last year.

Tonight we'll have whatever I can scrounge up since I'll be cooking all day.  I guess we'll see.  Maybe soup since I have another pot of stock simmering down right now.

KQ, we have 13-15 people coming.  My SIL is bringing a cured ham from their pig they had processed recently. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:45 AM 11-23-2011

Quote:

Sorry for all the posts, lol.  I was up 'til 2 a.m. canning plums last night and I'm a bit groggy. 

Last night we were supposed to have ribs but I couldn't get them in the oven soon enough so they went in the freezer (they were from our pigs).  Instead I made homemade breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and biscuits w/choice of loganberry jam, red plum jam, or 3 kinds of honey.  A friend brought some new (raw) honey by and it was so lovely!  It tasted very fruity.  The bees had been to California to pollinate orange crops and then to S. Dakota to pollinate some other kind of fruit trees.  I also have some that we harvested in another county that has a slightly minty aftertaste from all the horse mint in that area.  Then another that tastes like a field of wildflowers on fire on your tongue-that was from my backyard from last year.

Tonight we'll have whatever I can scrounge up since I'll be cooking all day.  I guess we'll see.  Maybe soup since I have another pot of stock simmering down right now.

KQ, we have 13-15 people coming.  My SIL is bringing a cured ham from their pig they had processed recently. 

Dang, that's a long night of canning! 

I just love breakfast for dinner! You have inspired me to have that tonight. I was trying to think of something quick and easy and the complete opposite of Thanksgiving type foods, and that's it. I'm going to do scrambled eggs, bacon and a batch of my mason jar biscuits and call it a day. We're having leftover bean soup and rye bread for lunch today.

I too am cooking all day. I've got a chocolate icebox pie, pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce done so far. The turkey is on rapid defrost in cold water so we can get it into it's brine this afternoon. I convinced husband we should apple smoke it and he agreed as long as I take it down into pieces for him. Since we're not big on presenting the whole bird at the table, works for me! After lunch I've got to get a shoofly pie in the oven, bake up some pumpkin crescent rolls, prep the veggies for the stuffing, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes and wash the serving pieces, iron some tablecloths and then promptly collapse. Oh in between times, care for the baby and pump milk. Should be a long day. :-) Good thing I like cooking. 

13-15 is a crowd. We're having eight this year, which is about all our apartment holds anyhow. 

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 06:27 PM 11-25-2011
first night of thanksgiving leftovers, i cant wait to get some new ideas.

i googled thanksgiving leftover recipes earlier, and found this recipe for turkey croquettes http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/143/turkey-and-mashed-potato-croqu148299.shtml

we didnt make the sauce, but they were good. i stuck the turkey and potatoes in my little mini chopper to even everything out, since ds is weird with his food sometimes (and im glad i did- he did not like finding the one chunk of potato that didnt get blended, lol). we both liked them, and had left over veggies with them/
CookiePie's Avatar CookiePie 09:46 AM 11-26-2011

I'm not so good at keeping up with posting daily, so here is what the last few days have looked like! 

22.  Fried egg sandwiches on whole wheat English Muffins & cheese!  Was tired had to bake for both DD's schools.

23.  DH made Spaghetti with tomato sauce and salad since I was baking up a storm!

24. Thaksgiving feast at FILs,was increadable.  I made 6 pies, banana bread, cranberry bread and crab dip.

25. Kale & lentil soup, so simple, so good!

26. Tomight I'm making Chicken breasts, rice, salad

CookiePie's Avatar CookiePie 09:51 AM 11-26-2011

Quote:

Yum.  That pizza sounds like something I would absolutely love.  One time I made a pizza w/leftover Emerald Sesame Kale on it, and an Asian dressing as the sauce and it was so good.  That lentil dish sound divine, too!

I've made Borscht before and while everyone else loved it, I just did not.  I guess I'm just not a beet person, lol.  The beets and orange salad sounds like I should try it, though.  And the beets w/sour cream and horseradish sounds like I might like it.  Thanks for the ideas!

My favorite way to eat beets, is roasted (then peeled) sliced thin (I use a mandoline) & chilled, some mixed baby greens, goat cheese a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar (I use the big jug from trader joes & you just simmer it until it is syrup)  & a few sliced, toasted almonds!  I espescially like this in the summer.  It's alot of work to roast the beets, but it is nice for a change of pace, we eat alot of salad so I need to change it up!   

First ... 8  9  10 11  12  20  60  110  ... Last

Up