Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,554 ·
Yay, on a roll lately. I've been trying new recipes, and the family is pretty happy about it. It's also giving me a chance to clean out old cookbooks. I'm leafing through, marking recipes, trying some, and then dumping the books that have been on the shelf for ages for sentimental or other reasons (e.g., I used to think I would like to tackle baking, but I actually can't stand it). Some of them just don't reflect the way we eat anymore - sadly, Laurel's Kitchen is going to go.
:blowkiss

So, yesterday's baked rice with seafood was pretty good, but needed more seafood and slightly less cooking time - that cookbook is a keeper. Tonight I need to use some ground beef, so I want to make a meatloaf (keeping that cookbook, too), but also pad thai for the vegetarian. Tomorrow - on to the next cookbook!

#2,557 ·
I am having pasta Florentine. The kids are getting pizza. I raided the freezer for a quick solution for them, and frozen leftovers for myself. I am looking forward to finally being healthy again so I have enough energy to cook!

First trimester over, and once this cold/flu/whatever leaves I should be back to something other than the easiest things possible.

#2,559 ·
Tonight was spaghetti, jar of sauce, parmesan and choice of ground beef or sauteed veggies (onions, garlic, mushrooms, red pepper, cauliflower, asparagus). DD2 and sleepover friend put theirs in taco shells for spaghetti tacos.

Tomorrow friends are coming over, so I am planning on some kind of grilled marinated chicken thighs, asparagus, tater tots, and salad. Enough there to feed all the picky kids. Thank goodness I was able to hit Costco, so I have plenty of chicken and vegetables.

MrsKoehn, hope you feel better soon! You, too, RainbowAsylum!

#2,561 ·
I am better today. It's from not taking carte of myself (Still. Day three of forgetting my vitamins, eating SOMETHING with gluten and not being as careful in general as I should. But I rested yesterday and haven't pushed too hard today. Plan to rest a lot tomorrow. )

So today I fried some chicken fingers/nuggets, had left over corn on the cob, and a mock Chick fil A sauce. Not extremely healthy, but it was what we had. Alfredo on the menu for tomorrow. I think salad and more left over corn with it.

#2,563 ·
Popping in and catching up. Hope everyone is feeling better!

Friday was pizza and movie night for the kids, and dh and I had seared ahi tuna steaks with soy vay teriyaki sauce, rice, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Saturday was grilled bratwurst and stuffed chicken breasts (got a couple on sale), wild rice, southwest chopped salad, broccoli and apples.

Tonight is corned beef in the crock pot because we have a super busy day tomorrow. With roasted teeny tiny potatoes and carrots, sautéed cabbage and onions, irish soda biscuits, and strawberries.

On the menu this week:

Leftover corned beef and sweet potato hash, fried egg on top, irish soda biscuits, sautéed brussels sprouts, carrots, fruit

Ground beef tacos, black beans, salad, carrots, fruit

Salmon cooked in a foil packet with butter and garlic, wild rice, roasted asparagus, broccoli, fruit

Sesame chicken, white rice, broccoli, fruit

Pasta and meatballs with zucchini, red pepper and mushrooms in the sauce, brown rice pasta, zucchini noodles, fruit

Waffles, sausages, eggs, fruit for kids/ indian style curry with chicken, chick peas, cauliflower and red pepper, quinoa for adults

I'm also making some rice krispie treats for the week, and maybe some sour cream blueberry muffins using gf pancake mix.

#2,568 ·
This Irish Chick (okay, more like mutt. I have every continent except Australia in my blood. And to find I had that would be no surprise! ) is having Nitrate Free corned beef, carrots (hubby will complain about both) and potatoes, coleslaw (which hubby won't eat), and trying a gf Irish Soda Bread recipe out.

#2,569 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

This Irish Chick (okay, more like mutt. I have every continent except Australia in my blood. And to find I had that would be no surprise! ) is having Nitrate Free corned beef, carrots (hubby will complain about both) and potatoes, coleslaw (which hubby won't eat), and trying a gf Irish Soda Bread recipe out.
We're more or less Norwegian (husband) and Welsh (me) here, but everyone is Irish today! We're having a festive meal here too - crockpot corned beef with cabbage and potatoes, with toasted rye bread on the side to sop up all of the tasty juices. Husband is drinking Guinness, and I'm drinking white wine - a bit out of theme, but hey - it's alcohol, and I don't do much drinking these days.

#2,570 ·
We had our Irish day on Saturday, much to my chagrin. DP loves corned beef and insisted we make the whole big meal, but then he left for a work trip the next day, leaving DD and I with 3/4 of a boiled cabbage and 8000 carrots that neither of us wanted. C'est la vie.

Tonight I made food my DP would hate, but I loved - lentil and sweet potato coconut curry over basmati with sauteed cabbage. My inner vegetarian shines through.

On the docket for tomorrow is turkey burgers and caesar salad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.