Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,627 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Last night ended up being a venison stew I threw haphazardly into the crockpot. Turned out surprisingly good. Tonight will be a kale/feta/cranberry salad and some main course involving ground turkey. The last time I tried to serve my DD bunless turkey burgers she had a fit. "It's not a burger if it doesn't have a bun!!!!" So I definitely need to put it in a different form this time :) Meatballs or meatloaf, maybe.
I'm jealous of the venison stew! Bun-less burgers equal Salisbury steak to me - serve it with sauce over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. We also like ground turkey in shepherd's pie - we actually prefer it to beef now.

Tonight husband is off at a gaming convention, so I'm making sausage, white bean and kale pasta. I love it, but it's not really his thing so I try to make it on nights when he's not home. :)

#2,628 ·
Tangy Honey Apricot Tofu with Salty String Beans and rice tonight! This is one of my family's favorite meals. It's the only way my son will eat a full portion of tofu--he doesn't like it with the usual soy sauces like teriyaki, even though he likes those sauces in general. Fresh string beans are not in season yet, but we are really craving them for some reason, and the price wasn't too bad.

#2,630 ·
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

SAT Out at a friend's

NEXT WK starting SUN in no particular order:

* Pasta & tomato sauce, parmesan

* Tacos - flour/corn tortilla with black beans

* Lentil curry

* Some kind of soup - maybe Thai

* Hamburgers/veggie burgers & tater tots

* If we need an easy meal night (probably Thurs.) - Annie's mac & cheese and vegetables/salad

Thai curry soup was good & enough for two lunches for me left over. MrsKoehn - I'm thinking I need a freezer stash. I got it started the other day with the leftover lentil curry, which people should be in the mood for again in a week or two.

Easy meal night tonight turned into kids eating at a friend's, so I made BBQ chicken breasts in the crockpot for DH and me, along with steamed broccoli and brown rice.

#2,634 ·
Worked out my plan for next week - spring break! - but haven't done all the shopping yet. Days may change.

SAT Chicken drumsticks, roasted red potatoes, salad with garlic dressing (frozen fish for DD1)

SUN Ham and/or cheese panini, salad

MON Cheese ravioli and tomato sauce, steamed broccoli

TUE Taco salad or burritos with black beans

WED Sushi rolls w/ tuna/mayo or cucumber/canned crab, edamame, maybe miso soup if we have any left

THU Pasta bake, probably with spinach and artichoke hearts

#2,639 ·
SAT Chicken drumsticks, roasted red potatoes, salad with garlic dressing (frozen fish for DD1)

SUN Ham and/or cheese panini, salad

MON Cheese ravioli and tomato sauce, steamed broccoli

TUE Taco salad or burritos with black beans

WED Sushi rolls w/ tuna/mayo or cucumber/canned crab, edamame, maybe miso soup if we have any left

THU Pasta bake, probably with spinach and artichoke hearts

Ended up getting some smoked salmon on the way home, so I served that/chicken drumsticks with leftover brown rice & broccoli/celery with ranch dressing. Will use potatoes and frozen fish later.

#2,641 ·
Bacon and whiskey chili??? That just sounds really impressive.

Trying to piece together a plan for the week. So far it looks something like this;

Sunday: Cheez-it crusted cod with salad
Monday: Lentil vegetable soup
Tuesday: Crock-pot Chicken breasts with gravy, carrots, stuffing, potatoes
Wednesday: Country ham and black eyed pea soup with kale
Thursday: Tuna noodle casserole with salad
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: TBD

#2,642 ·
I think I pretty much have this week figured out. We went to Costco yesterday, which means I need to go to the normal grocery for a few things to round it out. I ordered some grass fed beef, but am not sure when it's being delivered.

Tonight is salmon and seared tuna steaks on the grill (we had a couple of each in the freezer), grilled asparagus, brown rice, broccoli and strawberries.

Salmon burgers with tomato and avocado, oven fries, roasted asparagus, carrots, fruit

Bbq chicken legs, roasted sweet and colored potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

Breaded and baked cod tacos, black beans, salad, carrots, fruit

Chicken and rice with mushrooms, broccoli, fruit

Spaghetti and ground beef/chopped spinach/parm cheese meatballs, zucchini noodles, fruit

Pizza Friday, I'm getting better at the gf pizza crust thing

That's all I figure out for now :)

#2,644 ·
Today I'm making cottage pie after yesterday's Fred Flintstone's chunk of roast beef on the bone. I have set aside some leftover ground beef to make into a nice spag bol meat sauce tomorrow, but today I am roasting up the leftover beef bones to make an awesome gravy for our pie tonight. Yummo!

#2,645 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Bacon and whiskey chili??? That just sounds really impressive.
It's actually pretty easy to make - it's completely one of our standbys. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

Today I'm making cottage pie after yesterday's Fred Flintstone's chunk of roast beef on the bone. I have set aside some leftover ground beef to make into a nice spag bol meat sauce tomorrow, but today I am roasting up the leftover beef bones to make an awesome gravy for our pie tonight. Yummo!
What's a cottage pie?

#2,646 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

It's actually pretty easy to make - it's completely one of our standbys. :)

What's a cottage pie?
My phone dinged an alert just as I was about to get into bed.
:rotflmao
Cottage pie? That is ground beef, browned in a pan and topped with lovely buttery mashed potatoes. I think cottage pie is otherwise known in the Americas as 'potluck pie', which is really what it is: using leftover beef mixed with finely chopped vegetables inc nicely fried onion. mmm, very nice especially when topped with toasted breacrumbs mixed with strong flavoured cheddar cheese. Today I made cottage pie in a roasting tin, a trough large enough for feeding 8 greedy gannets + second helpings.

You got me peckish now.
:wink

#2,647 ·
Quote:

My phone dinged an alert just as I was about to get into bed.
:rotflmao
Cottage pie? That is ground beef, browned in a pan and topped with lovely buttery mashed potatoes. I think cottage pie is otherwise known in the Americas as 'potluck pie', which is really what it is: using leftover beef mixed with finely chopped vegetables inc nicely fried onion. mmm, very nice especially when topped with toasted breacrumbs mixed with strong flavoured cheddar cheese. Today I made cottage pie in a roasting tin, a trough large enough for feeding 8 greedy gannets + second helpings.

You got me peckish now.
Ah, yes. We actually call that "shepherd's pie" here, at least in the Midwest. It's one of my absolute favorite meals. :)

My bacon and whiskey chili is almost done for this evening; can't wait to dig in. As for what we'll have the rest of the week... I have no idea. Perhaps a roast chicken in there somewhere.

#2,648 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Ah, yes. We actually call that "shepherd's pie" here, at least in the Midwest. It's one of my absolute favorite meals. :)

My bacon and whiskey chili is almost done for this evening; can't wait to dig in. As for what we'll have the rest of the week... I have no idea. Perhaps a roast chicken in there somewhere."
Curiously enough, "shepherd's pie" in England is traditionally made with ground lamb. One would hardly shepherd a bull, lol. At least not Thor our grumpy Aberdeen Angus who keeps watch on his ladies of the field.

What's your bacon and whisky chilli like? Can you give me the recipe, please? I promise not to use mum Rachel's best malt in the recipe. Honestly.

- - -

Tonight's dinner will be spag bol with the remaining ground roast beef. I do a mean tomato sauce into which I'll glug a glass of red wine. Spaghetti is such an economical staple for the store cupboard, full of good carbohydrates and tummy filling goodness.

#2,649 ·
Taco Tuesday! Ground beef with my own seasoning mix over tortilla chips for my son. My husband eats it with soft tortillas, onions, cilantro and hot sauce. My son also ate some left over peas and black beans and rice.

My daughter and I ate a salad of lettuce, chic peas, celery, avocado, tomatoes and onions with Italian dressing. I also made a cucumber salad with adobe seasoning, sour cream, lemon juice and onions.

The kids drank organic lemonade with a splash of water. I drank wine. Not sure what my husband drank.

For desert, my daughter and I split 2 peanut butter cups (Justin's organic with dark chocolate...I found them at Marshalls...YUM!)

#2,650 ·
Quote:

Curiously enough, "shepherd's pie" in England is traditionally made with ground lamb. One would hardly shepherd a bull, lol. At least not Thor our grumpy Aberdeen Angus who keeps watch on his ladies of the field.

What's your bacon and whisky chilli like? Can you give me the recipe, please? I promise not to use mum Rachel's best malt in the recipe. Honestly.
It's quite possible that's what "shepherd's pie" started out as here as well, though many, many people (myself included!) seem to use it to mean any type of ground meat casserole that's topped with mashed potatoes.

My bacon and whiskey chili is posted on my blog. Just don't tell your mum you used the good stuff until after she tastes it. ;-)

Tonight we had the last of the pasta bolognese leftovers. I'm trying to think of what we can do that's quick and easy for tomorrow night, since it's a yoga night for me. I've really had a hankering for herb salad (frisee and assorted fresh herbs) with ham and a champagne vinaigrette, but we're at least six weeks out on fresh herbs from the garden so that's probably not going to happen...Maybe chicken and dumplings will suffice instead.

#2,651 ·
I'll have to try that recipe sometime when the idea of chili stops repulsing me :) It sounds really, really good in my head, but when I think about eating it...nope. Not yet.

Tonight I made a black-eyed pea/country ham/kale soup with southern-style cornbread. I am in love with that cornbread recipe, and the soup turned out a success, too. My DD ultimately opted for cottage cheese, but I think she secretly liked her trial bites of soup, too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.