Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 108 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

#3211 of 3424 Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Not very hungry... Did a pineapple/kale smoothie with Greek yogurt for protein.. Leaving DH to fend for himself! Muahaha...

We bought ingredients for a steak/carrot/broccoli/snow pea curry for tomorrow though I've learned to whip up curry so quickly and easily, I love it! Also I've been craving spicy things most of the time lately...
#3212 of 3424 Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
We stopped at Chik-Fil-A on the way home tonight - anytime I can get Little Man to eat meat, I'm frankly happy.
KatelynRose likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3213 of 3424 Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
KQ - I love it when you mention CFA. I was living in Chicago burbs when the first one opened up there. It was a big deal!

I had leftover homemade tzaziki sauce so I added some white vinegar to make it more like a dressing. Boiled that annoying 1/4 pound of rotini lurking in the pantry. Quartered up some lingering cherry tomatoes. Voila...pasta salad!

Still overrun with cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. But the heirlooms are taking forever to ripen. Sigh....

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#3214 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Leftover mostaccioli last night. I love when a meal lasts two days!! Then a simple blt dinner tonight, with cheesy rice and garlic green beans. What do you all make as side dishes with BLTs? I never know what to make with them. Going out if town for the weekend so hopefully we will eat at a good restaurant Saturday!
#3215 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Oh man I could go for some Chik-fil-a for lunch today thanks for the idea @kitchensqueen ... Now I'm craving it!

Tonight is curry, I think I said that before.
I might steal your mostaccioli meal for tomorrow, @apeydef it sounds great!

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#3216 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Today we are having sushi at the sushi restaurant;-) love love love sushi;-)
KatelynRose likes this.
#3217 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Mmmm. BLT's sound good. Meals like that I usually serve raw veggies and dip on the side, and perhaps have a fruit and yogurt dessert or something. Cottage cheese is a common side dish around here, too.
#3218 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM

I have to get on it if we want to eat sometime today, but clam chowder with a small salad and pumpernickel for dinner tonight.
#3219 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post
Oh man I could go for some Chik-fil-a for lunch today thanks for the idea @kitchensqueen ... Now I'm craving it!
It certainly hits a sweet spot from time to time!

Tonight I made half home made pizza, and mac and cheese with fruit Little Man.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3220 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Food Truck Friday in our neighborhood! Everyone in the family chose something different, but I had a very yummy veggie burger with spicy aoli, cheese, and tomato.

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#3221 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post
Food Truck Friday in our neighborhood! Everyone in the family chose something different, but I had a very yummy veggie burger with spicy aoli, cheese, and tomato.
That is so awesome, and one of the things I miss about living in the city. We do not have a food truck (let alone an assortment of them!) in suburbia! [Insert jealousy here.]

#3222 of 3424 Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
Mmmm. BLT's sound good. Meals like that I usually serve raw veggies and dip on the side, and perhaps have a fruit and yogurt dessert or something. Cottage cheese is a common side dish around here, too.
Haha I ended serving the BLTs with cottage cheese and green beans.
#3223 of 3424 Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post
Food Truck Friday! So awesome!!!!!
#3224 of 3424 Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Today I made Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust! AT LAST!!!;-)) I have been looking at this recipe for a year probably;-)) and today the time has come;-) It was veeery delicious!! And very easy! For those who still did not try it i advice to do it as fast as possible;-)
#3225 of 3424 Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have absolutely no idea what to make for dinner tonight... I might do Salisbury steak over egg noodles.

#3226 of 3424 Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerjv View Post
Today I made Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust! AT LAST!!!;-)) I have been looking at this recipe for a year probably;-)) and today the time has come;-) It was veeery delicious!! And very easy! For those who still did not try it i advice to do it as fast as possible;-)
Hmm, can you taste the cauliflower? Sounds good to me but both girls hate cauliflower(but like broccoli, go figure) think they'd notice?
#3227 of 3424 Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to make spaghetti with bottled marinara and Italian sausage.

#3228 of 3424 Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
Hmm, can you taste the cauliflower? Sounds good to me but both girls hate cauliflower(but like broccoli, go figure) think they'd notice?
Well my family love all kinds of vegetables so i do not have such problems;-) But if you add more cheese and maybe some smoked sausages/meat nobody will notice!! in addition baked cauliflower tastes completely different;-) Much tastier than boiled one;-) Any ways i think you should try!
#3229 of 3424 Old 08-17-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Minestrone soup here tonight - I have a squash to use up, and I have the beginnings of a sore throat (the day before a business trip!).

#3230 of 3424 Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 PM

DBF cooked up some salmon, roasted brussells sprouts and corn on the cob.
#3231 of 3424 Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We made homemade pizza and had a salad. It was sure yummy.
#3232 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 AM

I made a chicken Caesar salad. Went out of town for the weekend and had some good food, but we always feel like a good healthy salad when we get back.
#3233 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm thinking tortellini with pesto sauce. It's just me since DH is at the station tonight and I tend to be lazy when cooking meals for just myself haha.

Amber. Expecting #1 in January 2015. Married to a fireman. 2 fur babies - Golden Retriever & a chubby tabby cat.
#3234 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Food Truck Friday! So awesome!!!!!
Yes, it is so fun! The HOA started it this summer, every other Friday. And we just got word that it will continue through the fall. Yay! Usually they organize two "real food" trucks and one "dessert" truck. Last week was sno-cones. It is so nice to walk to get dinner and everyone brings drinks and hangs out.

Last night was roasted new potatoes, grilled corn on the cob, and - of course - tomatoes from the garden.

#3235 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been out of town, eating cafeteria food for a week - actually not bad, since they had a salad bar and served interesting side salads. We also found out our camp uses local meat and vegetables.

Plan for the week so far after a look at the pantry:

* Chickpea curry (using a packet of butter chicken sauce) with rice, plus cauliflower/broccoli we froze before we left on vacation
* Frozen spring rolls, rice, tom yum soup with edamame or tofu
* Pasta with canned salmon (garlic, parsley, lemon), plus lime coleslaw or salad

I also have red lentils and veggie broth cubes, so I might make a soup if it's rainy, and possibly a Thai curry with leftover vegetables and baby corn.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3236 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Trying to work on some freezer foods, starting this week. Todays' contribution: We're cooking up a slow-cooker smoked shoulder and I'll freeze the leftover meat and the bone for a future split pea soup. Serving with green beans and mashed potatoes.
#3237 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Went grocery shopping to SAMs today. Got a rotisserie. I love getting these and making meals with them. Tonight I'm making chicken quesadillas using the rotisserie chicken. Tomorrow homemade potpie using the rotisserie. I also buy big packages of tortillas from SAMs and the kids like chicken wraps with chicken, cheese, veggies and ranch.
Then I'm also going to use the bones from the chicken and make broth. I've never do e this but got the idea to do it bc I'm always buying broth for recipes.
Do any of you buy rotisseries and make meals from them?
#3238 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
Went grocery shopping to SAMs today. Got a rotisserie. I love getting these and making meals with them. Tonight I'm making chicken quesadillas using the rotisserie chicken. Tomorrow homemade potpie using the rotisserie. I also buy big packages of tortillas from SAMs and the kids like chicken wraps with chicken, cheese, veggies and ranch.
Then I'm also going to use the bones from the chicken and make broth. I've never do e this but got the idea to do it bc I'm always buying broth for recipes.
Do any of you buy rotisseries and make meals from them?
Oh, yeah, I'd say we buy a rotisserie every two weeks or so, and most of the time it gets used for 3 meals. First meal we usually just have chicken with sides, second meal is a meat-stretcher type meal using leftover meat in a dish like chow mein, cheesy chicken broccoli rice, some sort of cream sauce pasta, etc. Third use I'll generally simmer what's left of the chicken, pick off the remaining meat, and make a soup. I always make sure to save the weird liquid from the bottom of the container to go into the soup pot. I generally do the same thing with "real" chickens, but it's SO much easier to start with a rotisserie.
#3239 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM

I have ham,potatoes and cabbage going in the crockpot....
#3240 of 3424 Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I'd say we buy a rotisserie every two weeks or so, and most of the time it gets used for 3 meals. First meal we usually just have chicken with sides, second meal is a meat-stretcher type meal using leftover meat in a dish like chow mein, cheesy chicken broccoli rice, some sort of cream sauce pasta, etc. Third use I'll generally simmer what's left of the chicken, pick off the remaining meat, and make a soup. I always make sure to save the weird liquid from the bottom of the container to go into the soup pot. I generally do the same thing with "real" chickens, but it's SO much easier to start with a rotisserie.
Yes I buy whole chickens and cook them myself a lot too but mostly in the winter. Idk why lol. Probably bc in the summer we generally grill chicken.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page