Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

#301 of 3391 Old 11-26-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

The day before Thanksgiving, we had scrambled eggs with bacon and a few pumpkin rolls I made for Thanksgiving. 

We do Thanksgiving as a lunch, so for dinner that night - leftovers. Delicious. 

Last night - leftover Thanksgiving ham on rye with mustard and mashed potatoes. 

Tonight - I don't even know. I have another nasty case of mastitis. We've got a bunch of soup in the freezer, so probably some of that. Husband has been taking care of me all day since I feel like I can barely even sit up. Meh. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#302 of 3391 Old 11-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we ate at about 4 i think on thanksgiving i think, so we had leftovers later too, lol

tonight we had turkey and rice soup- just turkey, rices, carrots, celery, and a little garlic and onion. so out of our little 12 lb turkey, we got thanksgiving, plus a couple servings of leftovers, sandwiches for 2 days, the turkey croquettes, and turkey soup so far, plus i have 2 baggies of meat in the freezer i portioned out for turkey hash and a turkey/stuffing pie later this week, a container of meat in the fridge for sandwiches, stock for the soup, and 7 jars of stock for the freezer- 3 pints, 1 quart, and 3 are reused jars that are between pint and quart size. also have a container of soup and stock (to add to the soup, the rice drank it all, lol) in the fridge for lunches this week.

i love getting so much out of one meal, lol.

i took friday off of work, so i've been getting so much done around the house today. i actually had time to cook, and i made a dent in the laundry monster. i love cooking, but after work we need to eat quickly, and im so tired on the weekends and there is so much that needs to be done, that cooking is at the bottom of the list. i think the last time i had 4 days in a row off was in january, when i took a week off when ds came back from his dads house.

i organized my pantry, but ive gotta get to the freezer tonight too, to make room for all of that stock

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#303 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 AM

Last night we went to the aquarium, so I made hummus & packed veggies & water bottles for lunch.  We used a Restaurant.com for dinner, I had ribs! YUM!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#304 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 AM

KQ, allow me to scold you a bit.  You are doing too much w/having a tiny baby too!  That's why you're getting repeat episodes of mastitis.  Now you go lie down with that sweet babe and do nothing but eat, drink water, and most importantly, nurse, nurse, nurse!!!  (you know to nurse a bit differently when you have mastitis, right?  Yk, position baby differently to unblock that plugged duct causing you trouble)

Day after Tday we had leftovers.  Saturday we went to get our broken down van from my moms and took them leftovers since they had wished to go out to eat on Tday.  They had chili, Fritos, cheese, and sour cream for us to eat while we were there.  That night we also ate leftovers.  Last night we had my long-awaited turkey soup w/homemade herby egg noodles.  I wait all year long for that stuff and it did not disappoint!

Tonight, I'm not sure, but maybe meatloaf w/beef and pork.  My mom sent us home w/yet another cooler of pork and beef.  :o)

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#305 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

KQ, allow me to scold you a bit.  You are doing too much w/having a tiny baby too!  That's why you're getting repeat episodes of mastitis.  Now you go lie down with that sweet babe and do nothing but eat, drink water, and most importantly, nurse, nurse, nurse!!!  (you know to nurse a bit differently when you have mastitis, right?  Yk, position baby differently to unblock that plugged duct causing you trouble)

Probably, but it's hard not  to. I think the issue is likely more related to the fact that I'm an exclusive pumper, and I had to skip a couple pumps recently due to traveling to suburbia to see the in laws and whatnot. Bad news, but it happens. I've been pumping every two hours while laid up with it instead of my usual three, and I'm slowly getting better. Very slowly. My husband has actually been really great handling the house and the baby while I've been sick; I basically have spent the entire time in bed, except for the hour yesterday when I just had to get up for awhile because being in bed so much has been killing my back. So of course while I was up, I made turkey noodle soup. All of the veg and turkey was prepped already so I just threw it all in a pot. I'll probably be in bed for most of today again too. I'd like to try to get to my sewing table this afternoon if I feel okay, the baby's Christmas quilt isn't going to make itself. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#306 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM

I am making pot roast tonight.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#307 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 AM

We are having a 5 bean soup and oatmeal bread with honey butter. 

flowersforyou.gif

#308 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM

last night i did a leftover potpie with stuffing as the crust, turkey, gravy and veggies for the filling, and mashed potatoes on top. it was a mishmash of recipes. pretty good, but im sick of leftovers, lol. tonight im going to attempt to recreate this yummy asian style soup my ex used to make. we'll see how it turns out smile.gif

#309 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

We are having a 5 bean soup and oatmeal bread with honey butter. 

can you share your oatmeal bread recipe? when i cleaned out the pantry this weekend, i found some oatmeal that needs to be used up smile.gif

#310 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight we're using the turkey drumsticks. I'm going to make stirfry with the meat I shred off of them, and we have some sweet pepper in the freezer, plenty of carrots and onions and a lone can of bean sprouts in the pantry from who knows when. I don't remember when I bought it even, but the expiration isn't until next year, so I guess it's still good. Since our turkey is apple smoked, I figure a basic brown sauce, like for beef broccoli, will work the best. And we have plenty of rice to serve with it. 

#311 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 PM

easy, tasty red beans and rice: saute 1 smoked sausage (or andouille sausage, yum!) with 1 chopped onion until browned. add one can stewed tomatoes, 1 can red kidney beans, tobasco to taste and 1 tsp thyme. Either serve as soon as it';s warm through, or let simmer until dinner- I have simmered for 3 or 4 hours before and it is excellent. Serve with about 4 cups brown rice

Friday we had tuscan beans and greens- saute one onion chopped and 1-2 cloves garlic with olive oil until soft. Add to the pan 1 can stewed or diced tomatoes, 1 can canelinni beans and 1/4 cup stock. At this point, you can season with herbs such as sage if you want. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Mix in 1 bunch chopped kale (any kind) and cook until just wilted. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and some parmesan. Tasty with some fresh crusty bread.

#312 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Mommy212 that sounds great!!! I will try those.  We love red beans and rice here.

#313 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Took a break and went away for Thanksgiving (helped cook at my friend's), but back now & ready to jump in and get some new mojo for dinner cooking! Everyone's holiday dinners sounded great. I prefer ham to turkey myself, but we had turkey and lots of side dishes, so I mostly ate those. I must recreate some mushrooms I made that day - just mushrooms sauteed with carmelized onions & white wine. So good!

Last night we got back in the evening, so we had our usual back-from-a-trip meal: spaghetti, jar of sauce & salad. It's easy-to-make comfort food & for some reason we always end up eating little salad or pasta on vacation and so really want to have it, too.

Tonight was bean and rice bowls with some pinto beans I made in the crockpot. A whole chicken and some pork chops are defrosting in the fridge. I think the pork will go with some Asian-style soup made with homemade scrap veggie broth (tofu for veggie DD). The chicken will be Spicy Rapid Roast Chicken from allrecipes.com, maybe with broccoli or some potatoes. I'll use the carcass for broth, too. Then maybe back to beans - I now have black beans and pinto beans in the freezer and don't want to do any extra grocery shopping this week unless I make it to Costco to stock up on proteins.

PS KQ - Take care of yourself!!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#314 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Those red beans and rice sound great! I vote for Andouille sausage. I think I might have to plan that meal for DH and me and make the girls some grilled cheese that night. The greens and beans sound good, too.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#315 of 3391 Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM

OHHH<.... and new boyfriend brought over smoked salmon last night for a treat. SO good.  8 year old ds tried it and did not like it.

#316 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM

KQ, that makes sense.  Take care!

Last night I was making acorn squash bread w/some of the leftover squash from Tday.  I froze the rest for later.  Anyway, I ended up w/WAY more dough that I was supposed to, lol.  I ended up making a loaf of bread (it's kinda sweet like Hawaiian rolls), a pan of crescents, and a pan and a half of cinnamon rolls.  We had meatloaf muffins and fried potatoes w/the crescents for supper.  I used 2 lb gd beef, 2 lb gd wild pork, and the rest of the green bean casserole (made from fresh beans and lots of crimini mushrooms) chopped up, and about 3 cups of leftover dressing.  They were so so good.  The rest of the dressing can now go to the chickens for a treat (and because we are almost outta feed but chickens are easy to feed, lol).  We have lots of the muffins left over and I think I'll vacuum seal a few for a quick lunch for dh for those rare times we don't have leftovers. 

Not sure what I'll make for supper tonight but I'm leaning towards pinto beans and cornbread and salad w/lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard from our garden.  I have a ham bone w/quite a bit of meat on it left from Tday needing to be used.  I will also strain and boil down my other pot of turkey stock (from the smoked turkey--KQ I believe I forgot to answer you-we smoked it ourself.  I like to use maple and pecan) and get that in the freezer.

Better go get those beans soaking since I forgot last night.  I still have time...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#317 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Not to derail but I saw you said wild pork.... I just watched at my parents house the show American Hoggers. Very eye opening I did not know of this problem you all have down in Texas. Did your husband kill the pork or is it available to buy there ?

#318 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

Not to derail but I saw you said wild pork.... I just watched at my parents house the show American Hoggers. Very eye opening I did not know of this problem you all have down in Texas. Did your husband kill the pork or is it available to buy there ?

Yup, it's really a huge problem.  We will soon have them on our own property, there's no way to stop it from happening at this point w/out major, major intervention.  My mom's husband and their neighbor (both in their late 70s) trap them basically as a favor for their neighbors.  The pigs are so destructive and dangerous!  By now they are a big part domestic and part wild since they mate w/escaped domestic pigs (we see them looking alot like pigs you would see at a livestock show).  They are so bad they are cleared for areal shooting around the Red River (near my mom).  The huge grassland areas around where we live have a huge project going on and my dd volunteers at a big botanic research center.  She has suggested a government program that uses hunters to hunt the pigs and then process them for food pantries.  There are enough where no one need to go hungry.  They say that if you want to keep it from getting worse than it already is, 1 out of every 10 need to be caught.  To make a *dent* in the problem, 1 out of every 6 need to be caught.  They will be in the rest of the US in no time, they are already in so many states.  There was an article in a recent "Smithsonian" magazine about Texas hogs and how delicious the meat is, and how it is much sought-after in France. 

Ok, alllllll that said, lol, (speaking of derailing...) we butcher the meat ourselves.  They are trapped and wormed and fed out for a month to get the wormer out of their system.   Last couple of years we have butchered enough to fill the freezers of 6 families.  And when I say, "fill", I mean you'd better have another freezer for your veggies and other meats.  We kept a couple of the pigs longer this year at our house and the liver on those pigs was the cleanest, most tender and yummy liver we've ever had.  Even the bile sac wasn't green like in most I've seen.  That's something alot of people don't know about, I guess, if you don't butcher your own meats. 

I went to my moms house twice in the last month and came back w/a total of 3 big coolers full of pork and some beef they'd come across thru a rancher.  Then we butchered the 2 we had and I need to start canning it because I have so much.  We regularly give away meat, too, to anyone who wants/needs some.

Btw, I'm sure it's illegal to sell the meat unless you are licensed to do so.  We only sell meat on the hoof--live.  They can, however, butcher it here or have us teach them for a small fee, but they have to do the work.

#319 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

KQ, that makes sense.  Take care!

from the smoked turkey--KQ I believe I forgot to answer you-we smoked it ourself.  I like to use maple and pecan) and get that in the freezer.

Thanks! I think I'm finally on the mend, if I don't overdo it today, that is. We're trying to put up the Christmas decorations - good thing we only have three Rubbermaid totes and live in a small apartment. 

Maple and pecan sounds like a great combo. I might steal that for next year for something a little different, though I do love the way our apple brined and smoked one came out. We smoke ours on a Weber - do you guys do something similar or do you have a proper smoker set up?

We actually couldn't stomach having turkey again after all last night, so we made some artisan apple bratwursts I splurged on last month with some roasted potatoes. The brats were so good! When I have the money to spare again, I'll definitely be going by that butcher shop. Great stuff. 

So guess what we're having tonight? The turkey stirfry. Which I think will be good; we've both been craving something with rice lately. And I've got my turkey carcass and veg trim in the freezer for whenever I get around to making stock from it. 

#320 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I haven't been on this thread in forever, but I am feeling better after weeks and weeks of horrible pregnancy sickness, so I'm motivated to start cooking again. Although I don't have to cook tonight because DH made venison chili last night & we have plenty of leftovers. I'm making cornbread to go with it. Dessert will be angel food cake for the kids, fresh pineapple for me. eat.gif
#321 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Thank you chicky. This is such new info for me I love getting it first hand. Thanks for sharing and I am glad your family is doing what it takes to help with the problem. does it taste like real pork? Are you scared for your kids to go outside they seem to be very dangerous from what I heard on the show.

#322 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Still slogging through the last Thanksgiving leftovers.

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

#323 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Maple and pecan sounds like a great combo. I might steal that for next year for something a little different, though I do love the way our apple brined and smoked one came out. We smoke ours on a Weber - do you guys do something similar or do you have a proper smoker set up?

027.JPG

Excuse the rabbit barn and all the other stuff around, but this is our biggest and baddest smoker.  One day we want one on a trailer.  This was homemade and was given to us several years ago.  The rusty one in the background needs to be painted, but works great and was made by a friend who then died, so my dh wants to hang onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

Thank you chicky. This is such new info for me I love getting it first hand. Thanks for sharing and I am glad your family is doing what it takes to help with the problem. does it taste like real pork? Are you scared for your kids to go outside they seem to be very dangerous from what I heard on the show.

Yes, it tastes like real *wild* pork, lol.  Wild pork is much richer in color than what you see in the store, iirc.  What you see in the store is quite light in color.  This is much more red.  It does not taste wild at all (meaning gamey) and is actually very sweet.  Here's a pic of wild ground pork and wild boneless pork loin next to ground beef.

No, I'm not scared for them to go outside.  They aren't here yet.  I'm more concerned about hungry coyotes and cougars.  Pigs move mostly at night, too.  We do have big dogs and fencing, but the back of our property has a run-off creek running thru it so they would likely travel that way when they get here.  When we go to my mom's where they are running rampant at night, we would never let the kids go away from our sight, even in daytime, away from the guarded areas.  My mom has big livestock guardian dogs.  My oldest wanted to go plum picking by herself last year on my mom's husband's son's land (he has a square mile of land w/3 small lakes) and we said no way no how. Not even if she was armed.  A 900 lb hog was taken down on that land!!  They will eat your lunch.

For now I'm just happy to get all the meat my family needs for practically free (lots of work involved, plus gas to go get them, and packaging, but otherwise very cheap!).  We all probably pay .20/lb or so once you figure in some feed and the wormer.

029.JPG

#324 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

That's a pretty nice smoker. You must be able to do up a good quantity of meat in there. It looks like it has an off-set firebox - can do you cold smoking with it? I've only got the Weber and my Cameron stovetop smoker, so I can only hot smoke in small quantities, but that's better than nothing I suppose. Smoked food is the best! I should start a thread for that... except I think I start too many food threads here. :-)  

#325 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Wow. So interesting.  That is great for cheap healthy meat.

#326 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM

I'm sure I could cold smoke, but I've yet to try it.  I have some bacon I took off the last pigs waiting to be cured and smoked, though, so maybe I'll try it.  I actually cooked the last bacon at about 170, because it's not 'normal' anyway--we skin the pigs instead of scalding and scraping the way they do to get that rind on the bacon.  It tasted fantastic, and was great in a nice pot of beans.

I like smoked cream cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers wrapped in bacon.  And smoked baked beans. MMMMMM.

Back to the original topic...we had cream of celery and turkey soup tonight (turkey stock w/everything else one would put in celery soup) w/leftover acorn squash crescent rolls.  Was gonna have white beans w/that ham bone, but I put them to soak and then this evening got busy making the celery soup and forgot about the beans, lol.  They are simmering now in turkey stock and w/that meaty ham bone bathing in there.  Yum.  I'm in such a soup and hot tea kinda mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

That's a pretty nice smoker. You must be able to do up a good quantity of meat in there. It looks like it has an off-set firebox - can do you cold smoking with it? I've only got the Weber and my Cameron stovetop smoker, so I can only hot smoke in small quantities, but that's better than nothing I suppose. Smoked food is the best! I should start a thread for that... except I think I start too many food threads here. :-)  

#327 of 3391 Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 PM

I'm making chili and cheesy cornbread for dinner tomorrow! I've been craving it lately. I also have a chicken defrosting and I'll do roasted potatoes and carrots with it. Always goes over well here. I will also do cajun chicken pasta with the leftover chicken meat. Then we'll do a leftover day. I'll have the pasta and my dh will eat the chili. Trying to keep it cheap to save money for the holidays. If my dh had his way, we'd eat hot dogs every night. UGH. 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#328 of 3391 Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM

28. Whole wheat linguine with french lentils, spinach with lots of garlic lots of lemon & sprinkled with feta cheese!  Plus a big salad!

29. Tacos thrown together because I lost track of time Christmas shopping!!!

30. (change of plans) Scrambled eggs coconut pancakes!!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#329 of 3391 Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Definitely trying to keep it cheap but nourishing here for extra Christmas (or any, at this point) $.

We will have the beans w/ham that I made and I'll make some cornbread for most of us, and my son will eat some of that yummy acorn squash bread w/his since he is the only one who doesn't like cornbread (but he'll still try it each time, just to be sure).

I have an injured dd (the 23 yr old).  She got a piece of metal slammed all the way thru her finger at work last night (my dh is her boss so he took her to the hospital) and she needs comfort food and hot tea today so that is my plan.

#330 of 3391 Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM

we had leftover pinto beans from the freezer last night, and ds had a bean and cheese taco. we had salad with it. tonight is gonna be turkey hash with the last of the leftover turkey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page