Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,753 ·
Pulled pork sammies. Nice n easy, using homemade ginger beer in the slow cooker with pork butt, onions, and a dry rub of brown sugar, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and chili powder. Then shredding it and serving on a homemade bun with local barbecue sauce.

#2,754 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I haven't posted it in it's entirety, but I should! I make biscuit-style dumplings, which I do have the recipe for posted on my blog. To put it all together - saute a diced carrot and onion in a little oil until translucent and lightly browned. Add in chicken pieces and pan-fry them until nicely browned on both sides. Add in two cups of chicken stock. Season with thyme and pepper, but go easy on the salt (as the sauce thickens it will get more concentrated - I usually salt at the very end). Layer the biscuits on top of the whole thing. Put a lid on your pan and turn the flame down to medium-low. Cook it until the chicken is cooked through - by then you'll have a nice thick sauce and the biscuits on top will also be done. It's a great one-pot meal!

I've decided I don't feel like beans today, so I have no idea what I'm going to make instead... maybe chicken and dumplings!
Thanks! I think I'm going to try this tomorrow.

#2,755 ·
Welcome to Moes! Art streaker with rice, black beans, corn salsa, cucumbers and cilantro, topped with tomatillo salsa. MMMmmm. My daughter got also got an Art, and my son had a cup of rice and a cup of steak and they both actually finished their whole meal! My husband got an Art also.

#2,756 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Thanks! I think I'm going to try this tomorrow.
Let me know how you like it. That's what I ended up making yesterday, and it hit the spot for a rainy spring dinner.

Tonight I made a quick home made marinara sauce with Italian sausage, served over rigatoni.

It's supposed to rain all week, so I'm thinking about things that will balance gloomy weather without being to heavy - always hard in the springtime. Maybe home made bean and bacon soup with pain d'epi...

#2,760 ·
Made the chicken and dumplings today! It came out really nice, with a nice rich broth that my DD complimented. She was not a fan of the dumplings, but I thought they came out good. Next time I think I'll try the stew part of the recipe with a slider-type dumpling instead. My DD likes those, and they're nostalgic for me.

#2,761 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Made the chicken and dumplings today! It came out really nice, with a nice rich broth that my DD complimented. She was not a fan of the dumplings, but I thought they came out good. Next time I think I'll try the stew part of the recipe with a slider-type dumpling instead. My DD likes those, and they're nostalgic for me.
Glad you liked them! I've been thinking of experimenting with a noodle-style dumpling because those are pretty good too.

#2,765 ·
Those 2 recipes look wonderful! Thank you. :)

Tonight I've made lamb koftas with yoghurt sauce. Going to serve them with basmati rice and veg from the garden. For dessert I've alread made a lovely creamy rice pudding from our Jersey cows' milk, and Aunty Lyra is also making bread and butter pudding with sultanas of which I've nabbed a few. ;-)

#2,766 ·
#2,770 ·
Pulled pork pizza. (We like a thin crispy crust. I use up leftover pulled pork, with extra barbecue sauce as the pizza sauce, topped with sharp white cheddar, sliced jalapeños, and chopped green onion. Then plain goat yoghurt drizzled overtop.)

#2,776 ·
We have left over broc and cheese casserole for me and left over spaghetti and noodles for them. Tomorrow will be the same. Planning chicken and dressing for Sunday and tacos for Cinco de Mayo Monday. I'm dull, I know. I was planning to have my test results from the dr this coming Monday, but my allergy tests aren't in yet and they are vital to his recommendations. SO I get to wait till the 12th. Grr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.