Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 113 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

#3361 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
We ended up having leftovers. Hubby had leftover steak, green beans and baked potato. I made the kids some baked nuggets, peas and some tater tots. The only reason i have tater tots is bc my sis in law gave me a recipe for tater tot casserole and it sounds so good. Im going to modify it a tiny bit to make it more homemade. I don't like using canned foods. I try to make most things from scratch. Has anyone made tater tot casserole before?
#3362 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I made soup. Yippee for soup weather! Butternut squash, cannelini beans, kale, parmesan, chicken, garlic and rosemary. Easy and quick and good.
#3363 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
We ended up having leftovers. Hubby had leftover steak, green beans and baked potato. I made the kids some baked nuggets, peas and some tater tots. The only reason i have tater tots is bc my sis in law gave me a recipe for tater tot casserole and it sounds so good. Im going to modify it a tiny bit to make it more homemade. I don't like using canned foods. I try to make most things from scratch. Has anyone made tater tot casserole before?
I freely admit to keeping tater tots in the freezer as a matter of course. :-) I've not made the tater tot casserole that's been making the rounds on the interwebs, but I do make breakfast casserole with it. Tater tots, cooked breakfast sausage and eggs, beaten with a little water, salt and pepper and voila - easy breakfast. Hash browns are such a pain in a dish like this, because they always end up soggy and insipid. The tots are the perfect solution, because you can bake them until nicely brown and crispy, then add the sausage and egg and bake until the egg is just set. And you can add anything too it - if I'm feeling fancy, I'll add scallions and sun dried tomatoes. Great for easy work breakfasts or brunch potlucks! Or frankly, for a grown up dinner a la Elizabeth David, with a salad and glass of red wine. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3364 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Hey we all have our go to dinners. I always keep chicken nuggets for the kids. I like them too
#3365 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey we all have our go to dinners. I always keep chicken nuggets for the kids. I like them too
I'll drink to that, but not with the bathtub gin!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3366 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I can't get my DD to eat things like tater tots and chicken nuggets I LOVE tater tots. I was even in a tater tot eating contest once in college. I can't understand how my DD could possibly not like them, but....nope. Not even with copious amounts of ketchup.
#3367 of 3388 Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
I can't get my DD to eat things like tater tots and chicken nuggets I LOVE tater tots. I was even in a tater tot eating contest once in college. I can't understand how my DD could possibly not like them, but....nope. Not even with copious amounts of ketchup.
Same here, honestly. Little Man lives on macaroni and cheese, yogurt, parmesan noodles, applesauce and any baked goods and sweets he can get his little hands on... will only begrudgingly eat fries, tots, and nuggets, and won't touch pizza and hot dogs with a ten foot pole... sigh. Getting a balanced diet into these kids is maybe the hardest part of parenting!

#3368 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't made the tater tot casserole before, but I have looked up replacements for "cream of" soup, because it shows up in so many recipes. Here is one example that looks good:

http://centercutcook.com/cream-soup-substitute/

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3369 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup! I occasionally get nuggets for DD2. I buy the halal ones - not sure if they're actually any better. Veg DD1 could live on frozen samosas, and I have also been known to buy frozen egg rolls (there is a pretty good "natural" brand - Chung's? - or the Costco vegetarian ones). Realistically, those are two things I will never make from scratch. And tots. Yes, the tots! mmm

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3370 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Today I made oven-fried whole chicken (covered with italian herbs) with potatoes (not pilled, cutted into halves). Also we had fresh veggies and grapes for desert

Last edited by Gingerjv; 09-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.
#3371 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Yes @ragana I make it myself already it's easy you just have to have broth in hand. So always make broth from chicken bones and freeze it in baggies.
#3372 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerjv View Post
Today I made oven-fried whole chicken (covered with italian herbs) with potatoes (not pilled, cutted into halves). Also we had fresh veggies and grapes for desert
We are having a whole broiled chicken with vegetables tonight, I plan to get several meals from it, including chicken salad, yum
Gingerjv likes this.
#3373 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I make tater tot casserole all the time- My kids LOVE it, and so do I It's easy-peasy to make. I just brown a pound of hamburger, mix it with a can of cream of mushroom soup, spread it on the bottom of a baking dish, then cover it with frozen tater tots. Put shredded cheese on top, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so. I have also at times substituted sliced potatoes for the tater tots (for a unprocessed version). That turned out good as well!

Tonight we are having curried yellow lentils and homemade naan. A new recipe. Hope it turns out good!
#3374 of 3388 Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Making a version of bacon bourbon barbecue chicken tonight - except I swapped bourbon for dark rum, since we're out of bourbon/whiskey and instead of doing them as skewers on a grill, I've done whole breasts baked in the oven. I'll likely finish them under the broiler, for the flame-cooked effect. Mashed potatoes on the side.

#3375 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM

The tater tot casserole turned out yummy but the kids didn't like it. They don't really like casseroles. Tonight I'm making layered bean/taco dip.
#3376 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Today I cooked fried mackerel with herbs and lemon, fried eggplant with tomatoes and garlic and some boiled potatoes)
pumabearclan likes this.
#3377 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Gingerjv, funny that you made mackerel - we're watching an episode of Jacque Pepin's cooking show on PBS and he's making mackerel! Sounds pretty good, actually.

Tonight, it's on the cool side and I'm feeling tired and lazy, so I'm whipping up a quick batch of Thai noodle soup.

I've got a mess of chard from the garden to use, so tomorrow I'm going to make a soup with it - with kielbasa, potatoes, tomato, onion and maybe a few other odds and ends from the fridge. And then Sunday I'll make pork hand pies with the rest.

#3378 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Homemade tuna noodle casserole tonight. New recipe for me, but it came out pretty good. DD had egg noodles, peas, and some bits of chicken in a light cream sauce, as she's not a fan of tuna, mushrooms, or mixed up foods.
DuchessTergie likes this.
#3379 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Made another new recipe- Cheesy gnocchi casserole with ham and peas. It was delicious. Made a quick spinach/romaine salad to go with it.

The gnocchi was expensive at our health food store, but I found the same brand on Amazon for less than half the price!
#3380 of 3388 Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post
Made another new recipe- Cheesy gnocchi casserole with ham and peas. It was delicious. Made a quick spinach/romaine salad to go with it.

The gnocchi was expensive at our health food store, but I found the same brand on Amazon for less than half the price!
There's a pretty good brand at Cost Plus World Market if you have one of those near you - I think I paid $3 for a package last time I got it?
Fortune Teller likes this.

#3381 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Will reheat leftover roast chicken with vegetables
#3382 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Mmm.... gnocchi... so good.

Greek lemon orzo soup for us. We've had a busy week and I have nothing fresh, except for onions, carrots, celery, and eggs. I keep broth in the freezer so soups are always my pinch-hitters. I may toss in some frozen spinach. We'll see.
#3383 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Changed my mind for dinner tonight - it's muggy and humid after the rain we've had all afternoon, so I didn't feel like the kielbasa and chard soup. So instead I'm just doing spaghetti with bottled marinara sauce and Italian sausage.

#3384 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Homemade fish sticks, cole slaw, roasted potatoes, and maybe some biscuits if I can muster the energy....
#3385 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

We were supposed to make pizza but were so busy with projects around the house that I just got pizza from out instead.
#3386 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

Aldi had it.
#3387 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

I made hamburgers with sautéed onion and mushrooms topped with BBQ sauce. Potatoes cooked in butter with onions and corn. It was so good!
pumabearclan likes this.
#3388 of 3388 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Chicken broccoli Alfredo with linguini noodles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page