Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#3,087 ·
That sounds really good! How do you make the beans?

I'm cooking for the first time in a week (was on a business trip for most of the last week) and I'm so excited about eating delicious home made food again! The food on my trip was abysmal. So I'm celebrating being home again my making pasta bolognese from scratch. :)

#3,092 ·
Yesterday, I made a Thai red curry with summer squash and potatoes, rice and cucumber salad.

Tonight was a salad of fresh corn, black beans, green/red pepper and red onion with garlic dressing and lime juice. Also tortilla chips with homemade salsa (tomato, jalapeno, yellow onion, lime juice and salt).

On the schedule so far for this week:
* Pasta with red sauce and roasted cauliflower
* Tofu and broccoli bowls with peanut sauce

#3,096 ·
Tonight we're having diced chicken in cheddar broccoli rice with corn as a side. Might break out the sherbet for dessert later

I already have the crock pot going for tomorrow night's dinner. I decided to use up the left over scraps from meals and make some kind of soup/stew out of them.

So we have in the pot:
- small bits of leftover diced ham, smoked sausage, and bacon
- zucchini
- a few of the tomatoes that an elderly neighbor dropped off "for those kids ya got there" :)
- three cans of garbanzo beans I found on sale and scored for .40 each!
- box of chicken broth found on sale.
- random dashes of seasonings from the pantry by the crazy lady here.

If you count for the fact that almost all of this was left over scraps from previous meals this meal only came out to about $2 total that was bought and I did this all out of the pantry so not bad. I don't know how it'll turn out but I guess we'll see.

#3,098 ·
So we have in the pot:
- small bits of leftover diced ham, smoked sausage, and bacon
- zucchini
- a few of the tomatoes that an elderly neighbor dropped off "for those kids ya got there" :)
- three cans of garbanzo beans I found on sale and scored for .40 each!
- box of chicken broth found on sale.
- random dashes of seasonings from the pantry by the crazy lady here.

If you count for the fact that almost all of this was left over scraps from previous meals this meal only came out to about $2 total that was bought and I did this all out of the pantry so not bad. I don't know how it'll turn out but I guess we'll see.
I think you're in for a good meal - you've basically described minestrone soup! :)

Had leftover bolognese earlier, but I have no idea what I'm making for tomorrow. I've been thinking about pulling out the crockpot too, but am very much lacking inspiration.

#3,100 ·
Tonight we had Cajun seasoned baked chicken breast (with a bit of our bacon grease on top mmm tasty) with broccoli cooked lightly in butter and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon ... Yumm!
@apeydef you make me want Alfredo it is my weakness!

I wish I could make Asian dishes.. I need to stock my pantry for that purpose if I want to cook Asian food though.. I dont have any of the correct spices/sauces.. But I've really been craving Asian food. Spicy Asian food.

#3,106 ·
I wish I could make Asian dishes.. I need to stock my pantry for that purpose if I want to cook Asian food though.. I dont have any of the correct spices/sauces.. But I've really been craving Asian food. Spicy Asian food.
I love Asian food and cook/eat it every chance I get! That said, Asia is a big place :smile: What are some of your favorite dishes? It helps to narrow it down to a cuisine, then favorites - that will help you stock the right ingredients. I can almost always whip up a Thai vegetable curry because I keep rice, curry paste and coconut milk on hand; same for Indian curry - rice, curry powder/spices or paste and can of chickpeas. Ditto for a Vietnamese rice noodle bowl by keeping noodles, garlic-chili paste, lime juice and fish sauce in the fridge. Korean ingredients are also pretty easy to stock - you need soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, Korean chili paste. And rice, always rice! :smile:It sounds like a lot, but things like a bottle of fish sauce last a long time, and we eat this type of dish probably twice a week.
Sometimes when a spicy Asian food craving hits, I make some rice or noodles, saute up whatever vegetables and tofu/protein I have and mix with this sauce (mix to taste): soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, rice vinegar, extra garlic optional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.