Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

#361 of 3431 Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night we had pepper steak.  I made it spicy since my kids who don't like spicy are not here.  Not sure yet what tonight will be.  I guess I'd better get thinking about that a bit harder, lol.  I should go thaw something. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#362 of 3431 Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

We're doing a pot roast in the crockpot. Except I just realized that we used the last of the potatoes for last night's dinner. I'm debating - should I stop by the store and pick up the few groceries we need (potatoes, eggs, bacon) today on the way home from the library, or just make egg noodles to go with it? Probably I'll just stop this afternoon, since we walk right by there on the way to the library... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#363 of 3431 Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM

I wouldn't stop, but that's because I would undoubtedly come out of the store w/more than I intended....

I have fresh ham chops (just thick slices of fresh ham, really--I cut it off the rump) thawing but no idea what to make.  It's just 3 of us and it's so weird to cook such small amounts!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#364 of 3431 Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

I wouldn't stop, but that's because I would undoubtedly come out of the store w/more than I intended....

I have fresh ham chops (just thick slices of fresh ham, really--I cut it off the rump) thawing but no idea what to make.  It's just 3 of us and it's so weird to cook such small amounts!

That's the way I used to be, but our budget is so tight right now impulse buys could totally wreck us. So I just have that thought in my head as I pass by all the cool magazines and whatnot I'd otherwise pick up. :-) Plus, our larder is super stocked, so we really only need and have room for perishables anyway. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#365 of 3431 Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It's MEXICAN food week at our house.  Last night we made a big pot of beans and rice.  Lots of left over tortillas.  I'm not making anymore tortillas for a long time.  And we'll make taco seasoned beef.  Tacos tonight!  We have some left over chicken I'm throwing that into a soup. 

#366 of 3431 Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM

We're having baked beans from the slow cooker (navy beans, onion, bacon, molasses etc) with fried eggs and buttered toast tonight.
The last two nights we've had bacon-wrapped meatloaf and then meatloaf sandwiches. The recipe is just fantastic: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/classic_meatloaf.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

We're doing a pot roast in the crockpot. Except I just realized that we used the last of the potatoes for last night's dinner. I'm debating - should I stop by the store and pick up the few groceries we need (potatoes, eggs, bacon) today on the way home from the library, or just make egg noodles to go with it? Probably I'll just stop this afternoon, since we walk right by there on the way to the library... 

I'm probably too late but polenta is amazing as a side with pot roast - especially one done with tomatoes and red wine. I do polenta in the oven with no stirring- just mix 1 c medium or coarse cornmeal with 4-5 cups of water and a tsp of salt in an oven proof skillet and bake at 350 uncovered for 40 minutes. Stir, taste for salt, and bake another 10 minutes. Let it rest for 5 min before serving.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#367 of 3431 Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to remember the polenta next time I do a pot roast - that sounds really good! Baked beans sound good too though. And I finally found a beer I love in pot roast - Shiner Bock is perfect. I've been on the hunt for just the right one (stouts can be too bitter, wheat beer is too light, etc.) and we finally hit the nail on the head with the bock. That will be a repeat for sure. 

Tonight we're doing a crockpot dinner - a modified version of a recipe in my crockpot cookbook for chicken with apples and bacon. I don't need the huge amount it makes so I'm going to scale it back, and I'm using less apples and chicken tenders inste ad of thighs, because that's what I have on hand. We'll see how it turns out. Trying to decide what kind of starch to serve on the side - egg noodles or potatoes... probably mashed potatoes. I've been on a real potato kick lately. 

#368 of 3431 Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Last night we ended up having those fresh ham chops braised in plum sauce (jam that didn't set well) w/garlic, crimini mushrooms, rosemary, and caramelized onions.  I roasted sweet potatoes and whole beets.  OMG, I am so a beet fan now!  I had not had them simply roasted (rubbed in oil) and baked before.  Wow were they good and so simple. 

I'm not in a cooking mood today.  I've been making merry w/a bottle of Jack Daniels and music and decorating my house for Christmas, lol.  We've got taco meat in the freezer so I think I'll just make that.  I stayed up last night and made brownies and peanut butter balls coated in chocolate.  mmmmmm.

#369 of 3431 Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been making merry w/a bottle of Jack Daniels and music and decorating my house for Christmas, lol.  We've got taco meat in the freezer so I think I'll just make that.  I stayed up last night and made brownies and peanut butter balls coated in chocolate.  mmmmmm.

Hahaha that is awesome. And brownies and peanut butter balls sound REALLY good. I plan to make some soft gingerbread cookies after dinner (I have all the ingredients laid out and ready to go) and maybe some snickerdoodles with red and green sprinkles too, if I don't decide I'm too tired. Last week of maternity leave, so I've been flying around like a little bee trying to get big projects done. 

I changed my mind about dinner at the last minute. I decided to throw the chicken tenders in the oven with a little home made barbecue sauce. And roasted potatoes! This is like the third or fourth time we've had roasted potatoes recently, and we're not tired of them yet. Roasted stuff is so good. 

#370 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM

LOL, we ended up having fried chicken (not home made).  I, um, wasn't wanting to cook after my day of making merry...I just wanted to eat. 

My oldest dd is supposed to cook supper tonight.  She forgot to lay something out to thaw.  I'm thinking she's going to flake out...I can make a taco soup or something w/that taco meat, and I have tons of bone broths in the freezer.

#371 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

We're doing beef fajitas in the crockpot. I've got a can of refried beans to go with them too.

#372 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Tonight we are having bread-crumb coated tilapia baked in the oven, sauteed zucchini and roasted brocolli

#373 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, so flank steak was $7.00 a pound at the market this morning, so we are not having crockpot fajitas tonight. :-( Since when did flank steak become and expensive cut!? Dang it. So I'm going to make pasta bolognese instead. We don't have to buy anything for that. 

#374 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM

KQ, why do you have to have flank steak for fajitas?  That seems strange to me, but I live in Texas and around here we use skirt steak.  Or really whatever ya have....$7.00/lb is ridiculous!  But of course I'm way spoiled and probably wouldn't pay $1/lb for meat.

Mommy212k, I'm really starting to crave some good fish.

*That* I'll probably have to pay out the nose for...I can go around the corner and see if I can trade some wild pork for some prawns.  I know the guy who owns the place (one of only 6 fresh shrimp farms in Texas) said he'd love to trade for some of our domestic rabbit sometime, but maybe he'd want pork too....I won't have rabbits for another couple of months.  Worth a shot.  Otherwise it's $8/lb.

Still wondering if my dd will end up cooking tonight...I ate a burger out today w/a friend after we took one of her kids to the dr.  I'll probably be full from that for quite awhile.

#375 of 3431 Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

KQ, why do you have to have flank steak for fajitas?  That seems strange to me, but I live in Texas and around here we use skirt steak.  Or really whatever ya have....$7.00/lb is ridiculous!  But of course I'm way spoiled and probably wouldn't pay $1/lb for meat.

It's a crockpot recipe, so I think it called for flank because of the long cooking time being able to really tenderize the meat without is disintegrating. I do like skirt steaks, but we almost never have them in our markets here. Weird. $7.00 was definitely out of the question though! 

#376 of 3431 Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Tonight we are having veggie noodle stir fry. Nice and easy

#377 of 3431 Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Even though we literally had this meal two nights ago, we're doing oven barbecued chicken again. Except with drumsticks this time. And I'm too lazy to make roasted potatoes again, so I think I'm just going to make some egg noodles and call it a night. I don't mind eating the same thing over again; I've got a taste for barbecue this week. And my home made sauce is addictive. :-)

#378 of 3431 Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM

I'll join in, I love dinner threads :)

Tonight is indian butter chicken (also with onion, carrot and zucchini), chana masala, and brown basmati rice.

My kids unfortunately don't do spicy, so they split a small steak with baked sweet potato "fries", broccoli and apple slices.

KQ: I noticed in reading the thread that you are an EP'er. I EP'd for a year with my dd, never a drop of formula as I was an overproducer and able to create a freezer stash (which was a surprise since I tried to EP for my ds and was not as successful) so I am happy to offer support. I know it's kind of weird to bring up in a dinner thread, but there are so few of us that EP, I know how it feels. Make sure in the morning you are pumping to absolute empty, as empty as you can get (ie: 45 min+ and breast compressions) and that will help with the longer sleeping hours at night and avoiding mastitis.

#379 of 3431 Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

KQ: I noticed in reading the thread that you are an EP'er. I EP'd for a year with my dd, never a drop of formula as I was an overproducer and able to create a freezer stash (which was a surprise since I tried to EP for my ds and was not as successful) so I am happy to offer support. I know it's kind of weird to bring up in a dinner thread, but there are so few of us that EP, I know how it feels. Make sure in the morning you are pumping to absolute empty, as empty as you can get (ie: 45 min+ and breast compressions) and that will help with the longer sleeping hours at night and avoiding mastitis.

Yep, I am. Thanks for the support! It's a difficult road, but I'm glad my son is getting breast milk, so it's worth it. 

As for dinner at our house tonight, we cheated and ordered in. I got a breaded chicken sandwich with fries and husband got an Italian beef with fries. And now I'm wishing I had baked today since I want dessert and we don't have any. Sigh.

#380 of 3431 Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, Sunday dinner - we're really low key today. We didn't have breakfast (chocolate chip cookie muffins) until almost eleven, so we didn't really have lunch. We're going to do an early dinner tonight, either Spanish rice and cornbread or spaghetti with marinara; haven't decided yet. 

#381 of 3431 Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM

We went to Dicken's Fair today, so we had bangers and mash for lunch.

For dinner: beef stew in the crock pot, cornbread and salad. Kids also had apples.

#382 of 3431 Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with the Spanish rice and cornbread tonight.

I'm going to prep some chicken for tomorrow's dinner in the crockpot tomorrow. First day back working, so I figure I'll prep it in the insert tonight and throw it in the fridge, so all I have to do tomorrow morning is put the insert back in the crockpot and turn it on. I'm doing "Bistro Chicken" from my beloved crockpot cookbook - it's basically chicken in tomatoes and red wine with plenty of garlic and onions for flavor; seasoned with thyme. I'll throw some roasted potatoes in the oven when I'm done working tomorrow night to serve alongside (or have the husband do it).  

#383 of 3431 Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Let's see...with having the kids gone, and then shopping we didn't exactly eat so well, lol.  Friday night dh and I went out to Chilis (there's very little choice in the nearest town and the good Mexican place had a LONG wait).  Sat. when they came back we went to see Arthur Christmas and then grabbed 2 12 packs of tacos to take home.  Sunday dh and I went shopping so we stopped at Applebees for a drink and split an appetizer plate that had 4 things on it.  Then for supper last night we ordered pizza after we decorated the tree.  Done w/eating out now.  I, of course, feel like I gained 9 pounds from eating like that.  Ugh.  Plus I've been so darn thirsty for days now from the salty food.

Not sure what tonight will be but I'm thinking turkey soup because dh brought home a turkey carcass plus another turkey carcass w/lots and lots of meat left.  They had fried turkeys and hams at his work Friday.  I'm in a soup mood again anyway.  I think I'll bake a batch of tasty buns (my fav. no knead bread) to go with and call it good.  That will be an uber cheapo meal since the turkey was free.

#384 of 3431 Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 AM

We had tilapia last night and corn and bread.

We will have turkey burgers tonight.  I got ground turkey on sale after thanksgiving and its in the freezer.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#385 of 3431 Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not sure what tonight will be but I'm thinking turkey soup because dh brought home a turkey carcass plus another turkey carcass w/lots and lots of meat left.  They had fried turkeys and hams at his work Friday.  I'm in a soup mood again anyway.  I think I'll bake a batch of tasty buns (my fav. no knead bread) to go with and call it good.  That will be an uber cheapo meal since the turkey was free.

Your husband is awesome for thinking to bring that to you! Forget flowers, bring home poultry carcasses! 

#386 of 3431 Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM

LOL!  We have a friend who keeps asking my dh where he found me.  I tell him we found each other and it was a perfect match.

Ok, so I have turkey/veggie stock going, a pot of pinto beans soaking, and potato bacon soup simmering since my last post.  I'll make beer batter bread to go w/supper tonight and it will be a choice (or both) of 2 soups tonight.  Plus I think I'll get a batch of baked oatmeal going, and also I will probably make fried apples to go w/the soups.

Um, I think I'm just happy to have my babies home!  I wanna feed them, even though I heard from my mom that they ate very, very well at her house (4-5 servings of supper, 3 servings of breakfast, 3 sandwiches at lunch, etc.).  My kids are little pigs (not a bit overweight).  They had to fuel up to clean the chicken coops and the gutters while they were there, lol.  My mom now understands why I bitch about the grocery bill and why I do things the way I do in the kitchen.

#387 of 3431 Old 12-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Fettucine and meatballs. Threw the sauce base, chopped zucchini, mushrooms and green peppers, and meatballs in the CP to simmer for the afternoon, the meatballs cook dumpling style in the sauce.  I was my usual sneaky self and also added sauteed chopped spinach to the ground turkey/sausage meatball mix and grated a zucchini into the sauce to cook down.

Salad for adults, steamed broccoli and apples for kids.

#388 of 3431 Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

My husband made ham and scalloped potatoes tonight and it was so good - it was better than when I make it! Tomorrow we're having crockpot white bean and ham soup with rosemary. Everything is prepped for it; I just have to turn the crockpot on in the morning. And I'll have some bacon pain d'epi to go with it. 

#389 of 3431 Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Last night we had ham, parmesan noodles, roasted brussels sprouts, broccoli and apples for kids.

Tonight:

ground turkey and refried black bean tacos 

flour tortillas, mixed greens, chopped tomato and avocado, cheese, sour cream

carrots and fruit for kids

#390 of 3431 Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

My husband made ham and scalloped potatoes tonight and it was so good - it was better than when I make it! Tomorrow we're having crockpot white bean and ham soup with rosemary. Everything is prepped for it; I just have to turn the crockpot on in the morning. And I'll have some bacon pain d'epi to go with it. 

Yum! Ham and scalloped potatoes are my favorite big meal - I make it every year for Christmas Eve - and white bean soup my favorite use of the leftovers. I just ordered my ham today - it gets bigger every year as I come up with new things to do with the leftovers!

Last night was giant butterflied pork chops, broccoli with lemon, capers and garlic and mashed sweet potato.
Tonight we had chicken breasts braised with mushrooms, shallot and white wine then reduced with cream (from Richard Grausman's At Home with the French Classics - one of the best cookbooks EVER) with roasted butternut squash and green beans.
Tomorrow night is mushroom risotto with the rest of the mushrooms and a spinach salad.
One of the many bummers about going back to work in January is no more time to cook greensad.gif

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page