Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 142 - Mothering Forums

426Likes

#4231 of 4319 Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
First Tomato Pie of the season! We had to get the 'maters from the Farmer's Market because our big ones aren't ripe yet but who cares - Tomato Pie! I seriously wait all year for this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4232 of 4319 Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Tonight we had rigatoni with bolognese from the freezer stash. Tomorrow I'm making scalloped potatoes with ham and a side of steamed broccoli. Thursday I'll do bacon-wrapped pork chops with paprika roasted cauliflower. Then it's vacation food!
Ragana likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4233 of 4319 Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Chicken and rice dish of the night was a rice noodle salad with thin sliced chicken thigh and shredded iceberg lettuce.
#4234 of 4319 Old 07-22-2015, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Breakfast for dinner -- French toast, scrambled eggs, fruit (grapes and oranges), and bacon for those who wanted some. There should have been veggies too, but at least the kids were munching on cucumbers and green pepper strips during the day.
pumabearclan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to Munchkin 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.
#4235 of 4319 Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchypants View Post
First Tomato Pie of the season! We had to get the 'maters from the Farmer's Market because our big ones aren't ripe yet but who cares - Tomato Pie! I seriously wait all year for this!
Oh, man! That sounds so delicious. I can't wait until I'm done with this all-day morning sickness so I can make a tomato pie myself. Tomato pie and tomato sandwiches in the summer are wonderful things.
witchypants likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4236 of 4319 Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Love tomato sandwiches!

Last night was yummy Vietnamese noodle salad for a friend's b-day out. Tonight I need to rummage. Probably Asian odds-and-ends. I have a few things to use up - frozen rice cakes, kimchi, Korean glass noodles, some seitan, etc.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4237 of 4319 Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 AM

We had sloppy joes (the veggie teen had hers made with vegetarian "ground beef" that we found at Grocery Outlet), salad or dipping veggies, and a small handful potato chips for those who wanted them.

I had a few spoonfuls of the sloppy joe mixture, some carrot sticks and cucumber at dinner, then 3 hours later had a slice of toast with an over-medium egg. I still can't eat a whole meal at once, but it's improving.
Ragana and pumabearclan like this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4238 of 4319 Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Altering the dinner plan slightly, since we ate the last of the bacon for breakfast. So I'm going to do breaded pork chops, with roasted cauliflower. We have just a few potatoes left too, so I'll toss those with the cauliflower and roast them.

And then the only other things we have to eat up before vacation are pasta (which we'll have for lunch tomorrow) and about a quart of milk for LM to drink.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4239 of 4319 Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
salmon burger, dandelion & herbs with onion, duck fat, soft boiled egg, wine
#4240 of 4319 Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 PM

We had a family emergency at the start of the weekend, which means that I've been sitting at a hospital for several hours every day.

Dinner tonight was a shared vending machine sandwich (which wasn't horrible), crackers, and some cut up veggies that I brought from home. I need to pack better food for myself, but I'm totally out of leftovers right now because no one has been home and I haven't had time or energy to cook anything.

What do you have for dinner when life goes all to hell?

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4241 of 4319 Old 07-28-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post

What do you have for dinner when life goes all to hell?
Whatever it takes! Sorry to hear about your family emergency and hope things clear up soon.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4242 of 4319 Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Uh oh, I hope everything is OK in your household ASAP!
#4243 of 4319 Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Hot here, having tuna salad made with lots of peas & peppers from our garden, cheese, crackers & beer
Ragana likes this.
#4244 of 4319 Old 07-29-2015, 06:59 PM

Picked up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, having potato salad, cole slaw (with chunks of tomatoes and cucumbers), and watermelon along with it.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4245 of 4319 Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 AM

DH made dinner last night - rice bowls with BBQ tofu and vegetables. That BBQ sriracha sauce from Trader Joe's rocks.

Tonight - art gallery night for DD2's summer program, so probably quick tacos. There will be pizza there apparently.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4246 of 4319 Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 AM

I've been slack about responding to this thread!

So a bit of background...on Saturday we went to the lake with friends and I brought artichoke dip/chips and Asian style slaw. There were a ton of chips left as well as probably half the slaw. My mission for the week was to use up both! As well as the half of cabbage, one carrot, and half a pound of Brussels sprouts that didn't go in the slaw. We are without our Big Kids this week so it's harder to get rid of leftovers!

Monday - DH had leftover slaw (it had rice noodles in it so substantial enough for a light meal). I stir-fried some cabbage with the leftover carrot and some baby bellas and roasted the sprouts. Tossed all of that with a leftover quarter pound of spaghetti and added soy/hoisin/srirarcha/fish sauce.

Tuesday - Made some vegan queso and black beans to go over the chips, some cherry tomatoes from the garden (our tomato plants are awful this year), avocado, and marinated the rest of the cabbage (finely minced) with lime/cumin/chili powder that worked as lettuce on nachos. Yummy!

Last night was leftover chips/queso/beans/cabbage. I will probably finish that all off for lunch today/tomorrow.

My lunch yesterday was the last of the slaw chopped up and baked in random won-ton wrappers that were hiding in the back of the fridge. Mixed up an Asian-style sauce for dipping. I was quite proud of my creativity in the kitchen!

Tonight - DH has "date night" with DSD. I have tentative plans to take DD to meet a friend for dinner. If that doesn't work out, then I will just eat whatever I can find!

Tomorrow - Food Truck Friday !!!
Ragana likes this.

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#4247 of 4319 Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Tonight we had sliders with condiments/toppings (ketchup, mayo, mustard, bread & butter pickles, lettuce, sliced tomato, smoked cheddar slices for those who wanted cheese) on brioche buns.

Possible sides included leftover potato salad, leftover slaw, veggie tray leftovers (snow peas, carrot sticks, sliced cucumber, bell pepper), and red grapes.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4248 of 4319 Old 07-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Chicken and squash with herbs & peppers, butter, seaweed

Finally have squash here. I thought there was none since I thought I planted yellow squash, but lo and behold I found a few ginormous green squash when I was watering!
#4249 of 4319 Old 07-31-2015, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

We've been on vacation food this last week, so tonight will be the first night we've had home cooking in awhile. We're doing brats on the grill with pasta salad on the side.

Oh - and sweet corn from the farm stand on the way home.
pumabearclan likes this.

Last edited by kitchensqueen; 07-31-2015 at 04:10 PM.
#4250 of 4319 Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
We've been on vacation food this last week
You were missed! Hope it was a good time
#4251 of 4319 Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
You were missed! Hope it was a good time
Aw, thanks! :-) It was incredible; we had a great time together as a family.
pumabearclan likes this.

#4252 of 4319 Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
We've been on vacation food this last week
Awesome! Did you get to camp?

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4253 of 4319 Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Last night was pasta with sauce I made from diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, olives served with salad.

Tonight - Thai green or red curry with rice and pineapple/cucumber salad. Possibly with friends from out of town.

On the list for this week:

* Black bean/ground beef tacos
* Vegetable lo mein - trying out a Chinese takeout cookbook
* Crockpot baked potatoes - as a break from the rice/pasta routine and so as not to heat the oven
* BBQ tofu bowls

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4254 of 4319 Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Awesome! Did you get to camp?
We didn't this time - the mosquitoes have been horrendous this year, so that pretty much tipped the balance not to go.

I have no idea what to make for dinner tonight. Maybe just spaghetti with marinara and Italian sausage. I'm thinking about doing mesquite smoked ribs on the grill tomorrow night, if husband works a day shift and will be home for dinner. And we have a few ears of sweet corn left to go with it if that's what we decide to do.

#4255 of 4319 Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Last night's dinner was burgers from Five Guys since it was close to the hospital.

I am determined to make actual dinner tonight. No driving back and forth for hours, sitting in a hospital with a family member. I've found some leftover taco meat and seasoned rice in the fridge, I hope they're still good. Maybe I'll make some casserole with Mexican flavors. I dunno.

EDITED TO ADD: I made stuffed pepper casserole for dinner using the leftover taco meat, leftover seasoned rice, diced onion, lots of diced peppers, tomato sauce, and a little bit of cheese sprinkled on top. I scooped out a cup's worth of the mixture before adding the meat and reserved that for the veggie teen's serving (I added veggie ground round to hers).
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee

Last edited by spiderdust; 08-02-2015 at 12:49 AM.
#4256 of 4319 Old 08-02-2015, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Husband is working a day shift, so we're definitely doing the mesquite-smoked ribs out on the grill. We'll have sweet corn and roasted potatoes alongside. We haven't done ribs yet this summer so I'm excited!
pumabearclan likes this.

#4257 of 4319 Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We have had a wildfire about a mile from our home since last Sat. Spent most of last week with cars packed and ready to go should we be evacuated. Looks like we're out of the clear in terms of evacuation, but the road to our house is still closed.
Needless to say dinner has been all over the place. Mostly worked from our freezer and pantry stashes. Last night dh and I said screw and went out eat at our favorite local organic restaurant. Kinda pricy so we hardly ever eat there, but we've been through it this last week and decided to treat ourselves it was so good!
Gonna try to get back in the kitchen today and do some slow cooker BBQ pulled pork. Gotta make the BBQ sauce first though lol so we'll see what happens there...
pumabearclan likes this.
#4258 of 4319 Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchypants View Post
We have had a wildfire about a mile from our home since last Sat. Spent most of last week with cars packed and ready to go should we be evacuated. Looks like we're out of the clear in terms of evacuation, but the road to our house is still closed.
Yikes! Stay safe. We just had a crazy microburst thunderstorm with hail this afternoon and expecting more tonight.

Dinner tonight was just frozen pizza and salad because we came back late from a b-day party. Back to my above menu tomorrow.
witchypants and pumabearclan like this.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#4259 of 4319 Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 AM

Best wishes to all for safe and happy summer dinners

We are having this for the next few days, hot & cold:

Production Gardening in Urban/Small Spaces
#4260 of 4319 Old 08-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I'm feeling thankful for our lack of extreme weather. Stay safe, everyone!

Last night was delicious grilled pork loin and fresh corn for my birthday, garden tomatoes, guac and chips for the kids as well.

Tonight has to be hot dogs because DH bought buns a few days ago. I'm thinking a side of green beans.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page