Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 145 - Mothering Forums

553Likes

#4321 of 4789 Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I think we're doing something with pork chops. Hopefully they won't be overcooked... love my husband but the man murders pork chops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog on small town homesteading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4322 of 4789 Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Embarrassingly enough, we had chicken patty sandwiches on squishy white hamburger buns with processed American cheese, sprouts, garden cukes, buttered broccoli, and a few random strawberries from the garden. The girls both had scrambled eggs instead of the patty sandwiches.
#4323 of 4789 Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

The pork chops were edible, as I "rescued" them from the oven just in time. With mashed potatoes and green beans. But husband still gets the A for effort, for having dinner on the table for us when I walked in the door for work. :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4324 of 4789 Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Last night was provolone/mushroom/tomato panini and salad (kids had cheddar panini).

The plan for the week:

* Tonight - pasta with salmon, lemon, parsley
* Vegetable/bean/cheese enchiladas
* Hamburgers/veggie burgers
* Something with shrimp

Apparently, a heat wave is coming, so if anything gets dumped, it'll be the enchiladas, which may then turn into Mexican crockpot casserole. I also have some potatoes I can throw in the crockpot.
Well, the pasta with salmon turned into pasta with shrimp and tomato sauce. Last night I made grilled lemon-garlic chicken, potatoes, radish-sour cream salad, and cucumber salad with rice vinegar dressing.

Not sure about tonight since there are a couple of activities going on - might be a slice of pizza!

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4325 of 4789 Old 09-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Concocting things as I go along this week. Sunday we grilled zucchini, pork chops and corn. Tuesday I made a strange but decent concoction of saut?ed onion, garlic, leftover zucchini, leftover corn and a leftover cheeseburger simmered with a can of diced tomatoes, and threw in red curry paste and a bit of coconut milk at the end. I also made macaroni with leftover broccoli for Madame Pickypants, who ended up eating 100 cherry tomatoes and nothing else.

Today I made s stir fry with leftover pork chops, cabbage, frozen onions and peppers and rice noodles. Carrots simmered in chicken broth and leftover corn on the side, brown rice for the baby. DD2 ended up eating the macaroni with broccoli instead. Shrug. I give up
Ragana likes this.
#4326 of 4789 Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

We ended up doing rotisserie chicken, with sides of bacon-sauteed kale and lettuce and carrot salad.

I'm headed into a month of a modified AIP diet, so things are about to get a bit more challenging for mealtimes.

#4327 of 4789 Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 AM

OK - ended up having quick tacos last night. I mixed it up with green peppers and queso blanco instead of lettuce and shredded cheese

Tonight - I have ground beef in the fridge and buns in the cabinet, so hamburgers it is. Also veggie burgers for vegetarian.

Then need to plan the weekend. I hope to use up some gift cards/coupons (grilled cheese restaurant, free small pizza, etc.)

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4328 of 4789 Old 09-03-2015, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Not doing very good with AIP food today - we've got turkey tacos with refried beans, chips with salsa, and fresh carrots for munching.

#4329 of 4789 Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
Not doing very good with AIP food today - we've got turkey tacos with refried beans, chips with salsa, and fresh carrots for munching.
Good luck with AIP! I am not sure exactly all that entails, but having just completed the 21-Day Fix, the thing that helped DH and me was having suitable foods always in the house and handy, so there was no effort involved in grabbing those. Of course, keeping unapproved foods out helps, too, but that was harder, since our kids could still eat them. Well, harder for me, not DH - he has iron willpower. Ugh.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4330 of 4789 Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good luck with AIP! I am not sure exactly all that entails, but having just completed the 21-Day Fix, the thing that helped DH and me was having suitable foods always in the house and handy, so there was no effort involved in grabbing those. Of course, keeping unapproved foods out helps, too, but that was harder, since our kids could still eat them. Well, harder for me, not DH - he has iron willpower. Ugh.
Thanks - AIP is basically removing any inflammatory foods so your body can heal - nightshades, grains, legumes, seeds/nuts, dairy, alcohol... basically you can eat meats, green leafy veg, brassicas, fruit... But I'm doing horribly with it thus far - everything is ripening in the garden (hello nightshades) and I just can't bear to waste it... but there's not enough to preserve...

So tonight we're having a very not AIP dinner of chicken perloo, which includes tomatoes, peppers and rice...

But I'm cut alcohol for sure for a little while here (that one is easy), and at least am trying to ramp up the "good" veggies, so maybe that will help at least.

#4331 of 4789 Old 09-06-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight - leftover perloo. It made a ton.

#4332 of 4789 Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Dinner tonight was cheap pizza and salad made with kale, broccoli slaw, shaved Brussels sprouts, chicory, cabbage, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and poppyseed dressing.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.
#4333 of 4789 Old 09-07-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I defrosted a small turkey this weekend, so I'll be cooking that shortly. I'm going use the thighs and wings in a soup for the freezer. For dinner tonight I'm going to roast the breast in the oven and we'll eat our fill of that, and freeze the rest of it shredded for quick dinners later. The drumsticks I think I'll hold in the fridge for tomorrow to do on the grill, with the ribs and sweet corn we'll do then.

#4334 of 4789 Old 09-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Dinner tonight is burgers with the trimmings (lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, pickles, mayo, or whatever combination people like), coleslaw, veggies and dip, and potato chips. Then it's an hour's drive each way taking 3 of the kids back to their mom's. I'd better head in the kitchen!

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4335 of 4789 Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 PM

This weekend we had buffalo chickpea wraps with vegetables and spaghetti, tomato sauce, and meatballs with carrots and red pepper on the side.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4336 of 4789 Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
everything is ripening in the garden (hello nightshades) and I just can't bear to waste it... but there's not enough to preserve...
BTW, you can take your whole, unpeeled tomatoes and throw them in the freezer! No need to worry about blanching or peeling or anything... just stick them in a ziploc and freeze. They'll work later on for making spaghetti sauce, chili, etc. If you've got peppers, you can dice them and freeze them (or slice them and freeze them). You'll be glad to have them later in the winter when peppers aren't in season anymore!

What other nightshades do you have in the garden?

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
#4337 of 4789 Old 09-11-2015, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
BTW, you can take your whole, unpeeled tomatoes and throw them in the freezer! No need to worry about blanching or peeling or anything... just stick them in a ziploc and freeze. They'll work later on for making spaghetti sauce, chili, etc. If you've got peppers, you can dice them and freeze them (or slice them and freeze them). You'll be glad to have them later in the winter when peppers aren't in season anymore!

What other nightshades do you have in the garden?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried freezing tomatoes before and I hated it. After defrosting them then were basically like cardboard. And getting the skins off and cores out of cardboard-y defrosted tomatoes was a nightmare and a half... so I think I'll pass! :-)

Peppers and tomatoes are the only nightshades we're growing this year. Incidentally, since I cut out processed foods (sometimes I get really lazy and succumb to peer pressure when I'm at the office, and it was really frequent for a good stretch there), reduced alcohol and white sugar and amped up the amount of fresh vegetables I'm eating, I'm feeling lots better. Not perfect, but pretty good. So I don't think I need to go crazy full-on AIP at the moment. So I'm keeping my beloved nightshades!

I made a pot of turkey noodle casserole today for lunch, so we'll have that again for dinner. Husband is at work, and Little Man and I don't mind doing the same thing on repeat sometimes. Saves having to cook later!

#4338 of 4789 Old 09-12-2015, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Her ladies! It's been crazy at my house. We moved to the east coast from michigan. I have been cooking a lot though.

This week we had;
Monday- went out to eat for the holiday.
Tuesday- spaghetti from leftover sauce I had it the freezer
Wednesday- hotdogs (church night so requires a quick meal after school)
Thursday- chicken tortilla soup
Friday-tacos

The soup made a ton so I'll be freezing that. A couple weeks ago I made a bunch of black beans and have those all in the freezer too along with some bones from a chicken to make bone broth.
Tonight I'm not sure what we will be having. Maybe some chicken fried rice. That's a favorite around here.
#4339 of 4789 Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
Her ladies! It's been crazy at my house. We moved to the east coast from michigan. I have been cooking a lot though.
That's huge! Sounds like you guys are still eating well amidst all the chaos.

We out literally all day today, so I did not cook at all once we finally got home - rotisserie chicken from the store, and bagged herb salad. But I did toss home-grown cherry tomatoes into the salad!

Tomorrow we've got leftovers to eat up for lunch, and for dinner I'm planning to do bean and bacon pasta sauce with kale, over rigatoni. And we'll likely have more salad on the side - we're trying to amp up the veg!

#4340 of 4789 Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM

Saturday I made buffalo chicken dip per request of my DD.
Sunday we went to wegmans. This store is new to me bc they do not have wegmans in michigan. It is awesome! They have all kinds of premade food you can buy. We got Chinese food and some pasta salad. It was delicious.
Today I'm making a chicken in the oven with potatoes and a veggie.
#4341 of 4789 Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

We had a school event after work today and husband did not do the crockpot meal I had planned... so I threw on some pasta with marinara sausage after we got home... it's just finishing now. I'm really not feeling like a happy camper.

#4342 of 4789 Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Apeydef, congrats on the move!

Well, on Friday I had foot surgery (minor but onerous - hard to walk, super tired, pain meds, etc.), so although DH is a fine cook, we've been eating up meals kindly brought over by friends: pasta with homemade tomato sauce, cheese bread & salad, seaweed soup & cabbage salad, black bean & butternut squash chili. It feels like a restaurant around here :-)

We also have some Costco and TJ's items in the freezer to tide us over during my recovery - mini pizzas and dumplings I can make with rice.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

Last edited by Ragana; 09-14-2015 at 07:44 PM.
#4343 of 4789 Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Apeydef, congrats on the move!

Well, on Friday I had foot surgery (minor but onerous - hard to walk, super tired, pain meds, etc.), so although DH is a fine cook, we've been eating up meals kindly brought over by friends: pasta with homemade tomato sauce, cheese bread & salad, seaweed soup & cabbage salad, black bean & butternut squash chili. It feels like a restaurant around here :-)

We also have some Costco and TJ's items in the freezer to tide us over during my recovery - mini pizzas and dumplings I can make with rice.
Thank you!
#4344 of 4789 Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM

I roasted a chicken and red potatoes yesterday. Then I made green beans.
Tonight we will have Italian sausages with peppers and onions and baked beans.
#4345 of 4789 Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 AM

Nothing too exciting here - I burned some curry last night, so we ordered Thai! BTW The Body Shop linen spray does a fine job in covering up burned-curry smell...

Yesterday, we also shopped for groceries, and protein-wise, we have beans, shrimp, and tofu, so meals will be based around those. Right now I have some broccoli to use up, so maybe I'll make a stir-fry with shrimp tonight.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4346 of 4789 Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM

Wednesday we had the Italian sausages.
Thursday we had Taco Bell (I know mom of the year)
Friday we had broccoli Alfredo and salad.
Yesterday we had frozen pizza. (Award goes to me again)
Tonight we had taco salad.
#4347 of 4789 Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Tonight - Kung pao cauliflower, fried tofu, noodles

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4348 of 4789 Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Leftovers tonight. I made to a ton of taco meat yesterday so more taco salad, nachos or whatever else we can put together.
#4349 of 4789 Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

So... after a five day hospitalization, we are back home and my son has a celiac diagnosis. So we are going gluten-free as a household (minus husband's beer, that is - figure that there's low cross-contamination there!) and I am learning an entirely new way to cook.

So tonight I am making gluten-free pasta with marinara sauce and Italian sausage. We'll have a green salad on the side. So, a usual standby in a new format.

#4350 of 4789 Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Glad you found out - Good luck with the gluten-free cooking!

Quote:
So... after a five day hospitalization, we are back home and my son has a celiac diagnosis. So we are going gluten-free as a household (minus husband's beer, that is - figure that there's low cross-contamination there!) and I am learning an entirely new way to cook.

So tonight I am making gluten-free pasta with marinara sauce and Italian sausage. We'll have a green salad on the side. So, a usual standby in a new format.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page