Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
First ... 5  13  14  15 16  17  25  65  115  ... Last
Meal Planning > Dinner - What Are You Having?
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 12:22 PM 12-25-2011

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm excited to cook up our Norwegian meatballs tonight for Christmas dinner tonight. And I think I mentioned up thread that we will also be having mashed potatoes with dill gravy, bread stuffing, and ligonberries with it. With a bit of glogg to drink too. 

I've also got bread rising - I think I'll do up some bacon pain d'epi and I plan to bake some Christmas cookies this afternoon for us to snack on - Russian teacakes, snickerdoodles and the soft gingerbread drop cookies.  

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 11:09 AM 12-26-2011
Happy Boxing Day mamas!
What's in Norwegian meatballs? I love meatballs.
Can anyone help me with some recipes for all my left over ham? My eyes were bigger than my guests' stomachs!

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 01:01 PM 12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Happy Boxing Day mamas!
What's in Norwegian meatballs? I love meatballs.
Can anyone help me with some recipes for all my left over ham? My eyes were bigger than my guests' stomachs!

Norwegian meatballs are one of my favorite things to eat. I do a pound each of ground pork and ground beef, one cup of plain fine bread crumbs, an egg and healthy doses of allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon (or cassia), plus salt and pepper. That makes about 15 two-inch meatballs. The dill gravy that goes with them is super easy too - it's a beef stock gravy thickened with a flour and butter roux, and seasoned with a generous bit of dill (fronds or seeds, which ever you prefer). 

For the ham - so many good options! You could do ham and scalloped potatoes or lentil soup. Or you could do ham and mustard sandwiches on rye or the BEST way to eat leftover ham - drizzled with honey on fluffy hot biscuits. 

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 04:53 PM 12-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Norwegian meatballs are one of my favorite things to eat. I do a pound each of ground pork and ground beef, one cup of plain fine bread crumbs, an egg and healthy doses of allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon (or cassia), plus salt and pepper. That makes about 15 two-inch meatballs. The dill gravy that goes with them is super easy too - it's a beef stock gravy thickened with a flour and butter roux, and seasoned with a generous bit of dill (fronds or seeds, which ever you prefer). 

For the ham - so many good options! You could do ham and scalloped potatoes or lentil soup. Or you could do ham and mustard sandwiches on rye or the BEST way to eat leftover ham - drizzled with honey on fluffy hot biscuits. 

Awesome. Thanks! I will try the meatballs. I'm planning a trek to IKEA sometime soon so I'll pick up some lingonberries while I'm there.
The honey ham biscuits sound so delicious. Lentil soup will make a nice change from split pea.Thanks for the ideas! I usually do spaghetti carbonara with ham instead of bacon, potato-ham hash with fried eggs on the side and a sort of cassoulet-style dish with white beans, ham cubes and chicken thighs instead of spendy duck legs.
We had turkey, avocado, spinach and chipotle mayo sandwiches for dinner and I made this great chocolate/coconut tart to bring to the final gorge-fest tomorrow night. It's really easy, gluten free for a family member with Celiac and travels well: http://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-martha-stewart-s-crisp-coconut-and-chocolate-pie/a/34855
I garnish it with sliced bananas and whipped cream 'cause it looks a bit bare.
Next I need to start turning that ham bone and turkey carcass into soup!
amnesiac's Avatar amnesiac 04:55 PM 12-26-2011
It's sort of damp & dreary here today. We've been lounging most of the day& cleaning up our holiday mess.

Tonight I've got tomato basil soup on the stove & we'll have grilled cheese sandwiches with muenster & cheddar. Warm & simple. smile.gif
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 05:12 PM 12-26-2011

Quote:

Awesome. Thanks! I will try the meatballs. I'm planning a trek to IKEA sometime soon so I'll pick up some lingonberries while I'm there.
The honey ham biscuits sound so delicious. Lentil soup will make a nice change from split pea.Thanks for the ideas! I usually do spaghetti carbonara with ham instead of bacon, potato-ham hash with fried eggs on the side and a sort of cassoulet-style dish with white beans, ham cubes and chicken thighs instead of spendy duck legs. 

Let me know how you like the meatballs if you try them. That reminds me; we need to buy more ligonberries next time we head to Ikea, and those flatbread crisps. They're so good!

That variation of cassoulet sounds good; I might give that a shot. Though I do have an incredible weakness for duck confit that the authentic version calls for. Have you ever gotten a whole duck and confitted the legs yourself? I did it awhile back and it was so easy and much cheaper than buying pre-confitted legs.

Tonight we just had leftovers from last night's Christmas dinner, minus the glogg. And while I mixed up two cookie doughs yesterday I didn't get them in the oven, so I'm going to put them in here in a bit. And make up some hot cocoa to drink while we catch the Hawks game. Back to the grind tomorrow... ugh. I need to think up some crockpot thing or something.

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 06:53 PM 12-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post

It's sort of damp & dreary here today. We've been lounging most of the day& cleaning up our holiday mess.
Tonight I've got tomato basil soup on the stove & we'll have grilled cheese sandwiches with muenster & cheddar. Warm & simple. smile.gif

There is seriously nothing better than tomato soup and gooey grilled cheese. You've reminded me that I should use up some of my leftover ham with grilled ham-and-gruyere sandwiches alongside a pot of tomato soup. My three-year-old loves soup although I keep wondering when he'll get a bit tidier at eating!
Quote:

Let me know how you like the meatballs if you try them. That reminds me; we need to buy more ligonberries next time we head to Ikea, and those flatbread crisps. They're so good!

That variation of cassoulet sounds good; I might give that a shot. Though I do have an incredible weakness for duck confit that the authentic version calls for. Have you ever gotten a whole duck and confitted the legs yourself? I did it awhile back and it was so easy and much cheaper than buying pre-confitted legs.

Tonight we just had leftovers from last night's Christmas dinner, minus the glogg. And while I mixed up two cookie doughs yesterday I didn't get them in the oven, so I'm going to put them in here in a bit. And make up some hot cocoa to drink while we catch the Hawks game. Back to the grind tomorrow... ugh. I need to think up some crockpot thing or something.

I never have made confit duck myself but it really would make sense to carve off the breasts and have them rare for one meal then confit the legs for another. What fat do you use? I guess the duck cavity would yield some but do you make up the extra with vegetable oil? Could I save chicken fat and render that? My local butcher sells rendered duck fat but it's $$$. When I've cooked duck legs I've saved the fat to make DIVINE roasted potatoes.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:35 PM 12-26-2011

Quote:

I never have made confit duck myself but it really would make sense to carve off the breasts and have them rare for one meal then confit the legs for another. What fat do you use? I guess the duck cavity would yield some but do you make up the extra with vegetable oil? Could I save chicken fat and render that? My local butcher sells rendered duck fat but it's $$$. When I've cooked duck legs I've saved the fat to make DIVINE roasted potatoes.

That's exactly the way to do it - breasts for one meal, confitted legs/thighs for another and soup stock for a third. Ducks have a very thick layer of fat under their skin and you can usually render a quart of fat from one, which is the perfect amount for confitting the legs in a mason jar. If you're interested, I wrote up the process of how to render fat and make stock over on my blog. It was a lot easier than I expected and pretty cost effective. If I recall correctly I paid about $20.00 for my duck so when you split that into three separate uses it's six bucks and some change per. Which isn't bad. 

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 07:41 AM 12-27-2011
Quote:

That's exactly the way to do it - breasts for one meal, confitted legs/thighs for another and soup stock for a third. Ducks have a very thick layer of fat under their skin and you can usually render a quart of fat from one, which is the perfect amount for confitting the legs in a mason jar. If you're interested, I wrote up the process of how to render fat and make stock over on my blog. It was a lot easier than I expected and pretty cost effective. If I recall correctly I paid about $20.00 for my duck so when you split that into three separate uses it's six bucks and some change per. Which isn't bad. 

Thanks - If I can get a duck quickly I think I'll do the duck breasts for DH and I for New Year's Eve then confit the leg for a real cassoulet. I'll have trek to this great butcher to get the right sausages. It would be really nice to have some duck stock in the freezer. I'll let you know how I do with your method!
I love the way you rationalize the cost of the duck, BTW. I do it all the time. I told DH that the huge, gorgeous ham I bought for X-mas would be like $2 a serving with all the soup and sandwiches! He doesn't care what I spend on food (as long as there's enough for his graphic novels!) but I feel spendthrift. I can't help it that I love good food!
Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:47 AM 12-27-2011

Christmas Eve we ate take and bake pizza.

Christmas Day was baked french toast stuffed w/cranberry and cream cheese.  Tbone steaks, salad, and baked potatoes for dinner.  We got so full we forgot about the sweet potato pie I'd pulled out of the freezer.  Then I got sick a few hours later w/a fever and stomach ache-I'm sure not food-related, lol.

Last night was a fresh ham we brined and smoked w/pecan and maple.  I used the leftover baked potatoes for a quick cheesy potato casserole, and a big salad.

I have all those extra kiddos again so I made up a huge platter of deviled eggs and cooked li'l smokies jelly and mustard, sliced oranges, and opened a bag of sugar snap peas for a protein-filled lunch.  No one has complained of being hungry in a whole hour!  ;o)

Tonight is lasagne in my normal casserole dish--a stainless steel commercial-sized pan that goes w/my chafing set.  It's like 24"x 12" or so.  I'll have a huge salad made up and may even do bread since there are so many people.  I never serve bread w/lasagne because I think it's too much grain in one meal.  I know I'm in the minority there, lol. 

I will put in another baked french toast casserole, or make get baked oatmeal soaking tonight for brunch tomorrow.  The kids all get up and eat a yogurt and a bowl of cereal (and sometimes a piece of fruit also) and then help my kids do their morning livestock chores and then we all will eat a big brunch after the littlest one gets up and at 'em.

I actually have a meal plan this week, but no specific night to do each thing. 

Yk what the bad thing is?  I have all these kids, had bought extra groceries ahead of time because the dad said he'd bring $ when he dropped them off.  I'm not charging them for actual babysitting.  And I was only asking $5/day/kid, which is so far beyond reasonable.  If my husband has nothing to say about it when they come get them, I sure will.  And of course we're tight on $ because it's after Christmas--who isn't a bit tight?  And our water heater started spraying water this a.m. and dh had to go get parts.  Grrr.  I am so very thankful, though, that my dh can fix anything!!

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:54 PM 12-27-2011

Today was a NIGHTMARE. A NIGHTMARE!!!! Sorry, I just needed to get that out. 

So, we ordered Chinese takeout. :-) I've been craving it lately so we tried a new place, which is always a crap shoot. I was fully prepared to be woefully disappointed because of the NIGHTMARE this day was, but it turned out to be excellent! We got baby egg rolls, potstickers, bamee noodles with barbecue pork, beef broccoli and sweet and sour chicken and it was all good. The dipping sauce with the potstickers was a touch odd (really sweet and syrupy) but overall I loved it, especially the bamee noodles with barbecue pork. That's one of my ultimate comfort food dishes. I kind of wish I had a second bowl of it now. :-( 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 08:58 AM 12-28-2011

I actually made enough lasagna to have leftovers!!!!!  I can't believe there's half a pan left.  I put 4 lbs of gd beef in it, plus gobs of spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini.  Very, very filling.  Just had a nice salad w/it.  That means i have lunch already made.  Sweet.

Tonight is enchiladas, beans, and rice.  I'll serve sliced oranges on the side and call it good.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:40 AM 12-28-2011

No idea what we're doing tonight. Probably spaghetti with marinara or something I can just throw together. 

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 02:25 PM 12-28-2011

Mom and Dad are here and we are having Christmas. Dad insisted on a Turkey. Oh my. So for the 5 of us there is a 14lb turkey in the oven - anyone want to come for dinner? I have hummus and tortilla triangles for appetizers, wild rice, cranberries, and stuffing for sides.

Ridiculous.  lol.

I will have leftovers for days and days. Plan to freeze the turkey for soups and casseroles later on.

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 02:30 PM 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

Mom and Dad are here and we are having Christmas. Dad insisted on a Turkey. Oh my. So for the 5 of us there is a 14lb turkey in the oven - anyone want to come for dinner? I have hummus and tortilla triangles for appetizers, wild rice, cranberries, and stuffing for sides.

Ridiculous.  lol.

I will have leftovers for days and days. Plan to freeze the turkey for soups and casseroles later on.

****raises hand****  I swear I didn't get enough turkey yet and that 24 lb one in my freezer is looking good....Plus I have too many kids in the house and I'm looking for the escape hatch!

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 02:53 PM 12-28-2011

Come on over ;) I think it's about a ten hour drive lol

mommy212's Avatar mommy212 04:31 PM 12-28-2011

Tonight, crock-pot-cooked BBQ pork (I'm going to shred it and serve on buns) and my mom's should-be-famous baked beans drool.gif(drool). Want to serve mexican cornbread as well (with cheddar cheese, chilis, and sour cream- so good!) but probably won'y since we already have the buns as starch... Tomorrow, soup from the freezer (butternut squash/rice/chicken concoction) and oatmeal bread.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:52 PM 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

Tonight, crock-pot-cooked BBQ pork (I'm going to shred it and serve on buns) and my mom's should-be-famous baked beans drool.gif(drool). Want to serve mexican cornbread as well (with cheddar cheese, chilis, and sour cream- so good!) but probably won'y since we already have the buns as starch... Tomorrow, soup from the freezer (butternut squash/rice/chicken concoction) and oatmeal bread.

We pulled a pork shoulder out of the deep freeze so we can do some too. I'm hoping it's defrosted by Friday. I like to serve mine with jalapeno cornbread and roasted potatoes. But I'll need to make some more barbecue sauce tomorrow night after work since we're running low.

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 03:35 PM 12-29-2011

Tonight I am making egg rolls and stir-fry. For only 6 people!  Woohoo!  Love those kids, but happy to have my house back- a day early too!

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 03:41 PM 12-29-2011

Egg rolls.... I make cheezed egg rolls got it from a restaurant- make egg rolls as you  like them but add a small cube of velveeta cheese..... oh my... delish just be cautious of the cheese squirting out and burning you- i tend to eat them with a fork.

Jewels*'s Avatar Jewels* 11:51 AM 12-30-2011

I haven't been on MDC in a while - crazy with the season! 

I roasted a lovely chicken last night and there are (surprisingly!) leftovers... so we'll have fajitas (onions, bell peppers, avos, sour cream, cheese) tonight with the leftover breast and thigh meat and some lovely sprouted wraps.

Small rant: I have a really hard time cooking *enough* food for my DH... no matter how much I make he seems to eat it ALL!  He's a very active guy and needs to eat but JEEZ!! I can't imagine teenagers...

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:53 AM 12-30-2011

I've used wonton wrappers (the thin ones from an Asian market) and put a little spoon full of cheese from the "sharp cheddar cheese cup" at Aldi and those were a big hit.

Apparently I need to make more egg rolls since there are none left.  :o(  We have a ton of leftover stir fry for supper tonight and I guess I'll make another batch of rolls.

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 03:17 PM 12-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels* View Post

I haven't been on MDC in a while - crazy with the season! 

I roasted a lovely chicken last night and there are (surprisingly!) leftovers... so we'll have fajitas (onions, bell peppers, avos, sour cream, cheese) tonight with the leftover breast and thigh meat and some lovely sprouted wraps.

Small rant: I have a really hard time cooking *enough* food for my DH... no matter how much I make he seems to eat it ALL!  He's a very active guy and needs to eat but JEEZ!! I can't imagine teenagers...

****snort****  You should have seen the amounts of food we went thru w/7 growing kids here over the Christmas break!  2-12 yo girls, 1-11 yo girl, 1-10 yr old boy (almost 11), 1-9 yo boy, 1-8 yo boy, and 1-5 yo girl.  Little pigs. 

W/out those kids, on a normal week this time of year I buy 2 bags of apples, 2 bags of oranges, 6 bunches of bananas, 4 lbs of cheese, 4 lbs of carrots, 10 lbs potatoes, 2 bags of onions, 6 bell peppers, 4 heads lettuce (supplemented w/my winter garden lettuce), 8 bunches of dark leafy greens, 2 heads of cauliflower or brocolli, 4 winter squash, several containers of grape tomatoes, a big bag of beans (or a couple of small bags), 4 boxes of unsweetened (or honey os) cereal, 1 tub of oats, 3 dozen eggs (when our chickens aren't laying), 2 lbs butter, and we go thru about 3 gallons of goat milk (fresh daily) a week.  Those are the staples.  Meat for each supper that we have it would be at least 2 lbs.  Oh, and I usually buy 3 cases of yogurts.  Then there's the peanut butter (at least one big jar per week), nuts, tortilla chips, salsa, rice cakes, pickles, and jam we got thru.

Thankfully a lady on Freecycle is letting us go pick her crabapple tree in the morning!  I can at least keep stocked up on jams/pickled fruits/butters.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 05:37 PM 12-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

W/out those kids, on a normal week this time of year I buy 2 bags of apples, 2 bags of oranges, 6 bunches of bananas, 4 lbs of cheese, 4 lbs of carrots, 10 lbs potatoes, 2 bags of onions, 6 bell peppers, 4 heads lettuce (supplemented w/my winter garden lettuce), 8 bunches of dark leafy greens, 2 heads of cauliflower or brocolli, 4 winter squash, several containers of grape tomatoes, a big bag of beans (or a couple of small bags), 4 boxes of unsweetened (or honey os) cereal, 1 tub of oats, 3 dozen eggs (when our chickens aren't laying), 2 lbs butter, and we go thru about 3 gallons of goat milk (fresh daily) a week.  Those are the staples.  Meat for each supper that we have it would be at least 2 lbs.  Oh, and I usually buy 3 cases of yogurts.  Then there's the peanut butter (at least one big jar per week), nuts, tortilla chips, salsa, rice cakes, pickles, and jam we got thru.

Thankfully a lady on Freecycle is letting us go pick her crabapple tree in the morning!  I can at least keep stocked up on jams/pickled fruits/butters.

I think you just convinced me to stop at one kid!  Hahahaha.

At the last possible second I remembered the pork shoulder in the fridge and got it in the crockpot. It's the day before grocery shopping, so we're out of onions and I haven't baked bread since Sunday so I have to alter my original plan for it. I'm doing it in pumpkin ale and I seasoned it with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and some Chinese 5 Spice. I've got about a cup of home made barbecue sauce to go with it, and I'll make some cornbread (in my new cast iron pan from Christmas!). I think there's some potatoes left, so I'll make roasted potatoes too if they are. And I might treat myself to a beer this evening - there's the last New Glarus Fat Squirrel in the fridge with my name on it. 

I need to think of something fun to serve tomorrow night. I'll obviously be low key with a three month old - maybe I'll make sopaipillas, with salsa and refried beans. And maybe chicken fajitas too. And I'll do some of the sopaipillas in cinnamon sugar for dessert. I LOVE those things. 

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 11:46 AM 12-31-2011
My God, Chicky. I'm just imagining what it will be like when our two are teenagers. At the moment they barely add anything to our grocery budget.
Quote:

I need to think of something fun to serve tomorrow night. I'll obviously be low key with a three month old - maybe I'll make sopaipillas, with salsa and refried beans. And maybe chicken fajitas too. And I'll do some of the sopaipillas in cinnamon sugar for dessert. I LOVE those things. 

Yum! I haven't had sopaipillas since DH and I did a road trip through NM in 2004. Recipe?

I couldn't get a duck - the one nearby butcher was sold out yesterday and I didn't have the energy to go anywhere else - so it will be a very low key New Year's Eve menu based just on what we have in the fridge - chicken breasts with grainy mustard, sweet potato and parsnip chips and brussel sprouts. My MIL gave me the last of the parsnips and brussel sprouts from her garden.
Lunch today was tomato-basil soup with a St. Andre cheese and crackers - perfect today as it's grim and drizzling freezing rain.
BlueStateMama's Avatar BlueStateMama 12:19 PM 12-31-2011

New Year's Eve - heavy munchies:  I made a layered Mexican "dip"  (w/ ground beef, salsa, cheese etc) and am prepping some Swedish meatballs, shrimp cocktail and I'm going to throw out some Pate (although I know I'm the only one that will eat it!!)  My friends are all bringing finger foods as well :)

(PS  Have been lurking on this thread forever and gotten great ideas!  I figure it's time I play too....love reading everyone's great menus and creative dinners!!!)

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 02:28 PM 12-31-2011

Quote:

Yum! I haven't had sopaipillas since DH and I did a road trip through NM in 2004. Recipe?

Ha, us to, only in 2005! We drove Route 66 to LA for our honeymoon. We had the most amazing sopaipillas at La Placita in Old Town. That whole trip was a blast. A few years later I happened to pick up the Route 66 Cookbook, and lo and behold, the recipe for La Placita's sopaipillas was in it! I've made them a couple times in the intervening years and they're just fantastic. I'll try to post the recipe for them this weekend sometime. 

colemom's Avatar colemom 05:14 PM 12-31-2011

We ended up coming home yesterday, so I ran down to the store to pick up some NYE munchies:

sub sandwiches on soft french rolls (turkey, ham, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, oil and vinegar)

tortilla chips with fresh salsa and homemade guacamole

carrots and celery with a sour cream dill dip

lil smokies in the CP with bbq sauce (dh's request)

vanilla bean ice cream

sparkling apple cider

champers :)

jimblejamble's Avatar jimblejamble 09:26 PM 12-31-2011
Monday & Tuesday: Homemade beans & tortillas, cheese, salsa, avocados.
Wednesday: Ham, homemade biscuits, broccoli and carrots steamed then tossed with a little sea salt.
Thursday: Rice with cabbage, carrots, pea pods, and a sauce made from olive oil, Bragg's liquid aminos, ginger, and garlic.
Friday: Creamy wild rice soup with onion, mushrooms, carrots, and celery. Tortillas for dipping.
Tonight: Red lentils cooked in homemade broth with cabbage, carrots, curry powder, ground mustard, salt, and garlic, a little tomato sauce added. Simmered for a while and served with homemade naan, which didn't turn out that great. The bread was really stiff instead of soft and floppy like naan usually is.
Tomorrow: Chicken tikka masala with basmati rice.
mommy212's Avatar mommy212 10:02 PM 12-31-2011

Last night we had pasta puttanesca, which is a pretty healthy recipe that I hadn't tried before. DS ate the sardines from the can as I was cutting them, which surprised me but beggars can't be choosers... Tonight we had fire-roasted tomato and eggplant bisque with garlic toast. DS ate 2 bowls. Yum

First ... 5  13  14  15 16  17  25  65  115  ... Last

Up