Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Chili with grated cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragana likes this.
#4563 of 4789 Old 01-15-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garlic rice noodles with tofu and cabbage/broccoli tonight.
Ragana likes this.
#4564 of 4789 Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
How was the millet? My DH loves quinoa, but I am not a fan, although I would be open to trying other whole grains.
Sorry I didn't respond - I have been way off the grid because everyone in our house has had the flu for five days. And now I have bronchitis... but I'm upright again, so win! The millet was only okay, but I think I way overcooked it. It's such a tiny grain that it seems like it's either meant to be crunchy or mush... but I'll try it again soon and see if I can find the sweet spot.

We have been having subsistence flu foods here this week - hot broth, chicken soup, mashed potatoes, lots oranges - basically whatever we could all stomach and was extremely low effort!

Still not feeling too great today, so I have no idea what to make for dinner. I may cut myself a break and pick up a rotisserie chicken - bronchitis or no, I've got to get some fresh groceries in this house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog on small town homesteading.

#4565 of 4789 Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
We had chicken kabobs tonight and rice. Not fancy, but filling. Carrot sticks on the side.
#4566 of 4789 Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
I have been way off the grid because everyone in our house has had the flu for five days. And now I have bronchitis...
Yuck!! Get better soon!!!

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4567 of 4789 Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yuck!! Get better soon!!!
Thanks - we're getting there. Though this extreme cold is not helping...

For dinner tonight I think some filling but mild to get our energy levels back up - probably scalloped potatoes with ham, and a side of steamed broccoli.

#4568 of 4789 Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 PM

Beef ribs were on sale so we made a batch with au gratin potatoes on the side.
#4569 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm working on cleaning out the fridge and pantry so we'll probably have some kind of random chicken and veggie stir fry with mixed grains instead of rice.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#4570 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks - we're getting there. Though this extreme cold is not helping...

For dinner tonight I think some filling but mild to get our energy levels back up - probably scalloped potatoes with ham, and a side of steamed broccoli.
Yup! Good thing this is a holiday, because the kids might have had school canceled otherwise.

We're doing baked mac & cheese tonight.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4571 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Away for the weekend on an impromptu trip, and waaaaaay overbought food. Working on all the leftovers today, so chicken/eggplant parm with a chicken-topped salad for tonight. Gotta get meal planning pronto!
#4572 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup! Good thing this is a holiday, because the kids might have had school canceled otherwise.
Looks like we'll have these sub zero temps through tomorrow so we'll see what happens with school tomorrow.

Tonight I'm making perloo - chicken, smoked sausage, bacon, and shrimp in it. An indulgent multi-protein dish to cap off an absolutely hellish work day. Hey, when one isn't drinking alcohol, comfort food is a respectable fill in. That and pajamas.
Ragana likes this.

#4573 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks like we'll have these sub zero temps through tomorrow so we'll see what happens with school tomorrow.

Tonight I'm making perloo - chicken, smoked sausage, bacon, and shrimp in it. An indulgent multi-protein dish to cap off an absolutely hellish work day. Hey, when one isn't drinking alcohol, comfort food is a respectable fill in. That and pajamas.

Do you have a recipe for this? Sounds amazing!!

We had Bbq chicken breast, Mac and cheese, baked beans and garlic toast. Could of been healthier but I'm not feeling well.

Ragana likes this.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#4574 of 4789 Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Chicken breasts with lemon pepper seasoning. Leftover rice on side.
#4575 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 AM

Tuesday - Pad thai noodles, tofu or shrimp, vegetables
Wednesday - Asian-style soup, frozen dumplings
Thursday - Honey-baked lentils & rice
Friday - Spaghetti & meatballs
Saturday - Party, contributing vegetarian Thai noodle salad

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4576 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Let's see...been a bit behind in checking in!

Friday night - our usual night out; I had spinach and cheese breadsticks (local Italian style bar / restaurant / dive)
Saturday night - my parents took us our for DS' birthday to Yeah Burger; I had an arugula salad and bites of DH's roasted brussels sprouts and burger
Sunday night - roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes over barley with pecans and lemon / garlic dressing
Monday night - garlic rice noodles with roasted broccoli and spicy baked tofu

Tonight - bean soup with lots of veggies as it is super cold here as well!
Tomorrow - risotto with brussels sprouts...assuming I can find them! They didn't have any at Whole Foods yesterday (but they were out of a lot of stuff...maybe the holiday?). So I will need to make another grocery run anyway.

Mom to DD 
 (04.21.13)   DS
 (10 years old) and DSD
(12 years old) and 2
 and 1
#4577 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM

Beef stew with a lovely sourdough - from the spoils of our frivolous weekend.
#4578 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post
Do you have a recipe for this? Sounds amazing!!
It's a riff on a Saveur recipe - we swap the ham for bacon, and the oysters for chicken thighs. It's the ultimate comfort food.

Tonight we're having chicken rice soup, to use up the stock I made from the rotisserie chicken carcass from a day or so ago.

#4579 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Just reorganized my pantry... This week's meals are leftover chili, tuna casserole, roasted yam with onion and garlic with brown rice and baked chicken...

#4580 of 4789 Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Tonight we did breakfast for dinner. Pancakes and turkey sausage, canned peaches on top of the pancakes. yum!
#4581 of 4789 Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Baked mac and cheese tonight using the bacon cheddar we got on our trip. Decadent. I will try to balance it out with some vegetable matter, likely a mix of roasted veggies.
Ragana and happyhermit like this.
#4582 of 4789 Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 PM

A big batch of won ton soup here. Yummy!
happyhermit likes this.
#4583 of 4789 Old 01-21-2016, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Dinner - What Are You Having?

Change of plans on this week's menu... Chili is gone now... Had a super busy day at work then did weekly grocery shopping so got gluten free woodfire prawn and bacon pizza for dinner on the way home, the boys had woodfire burgers with fries and organic green salad...

Going to bake chicken breast with herbs & veggies roasted in pesto with a side of brown rice.... bought a beautiful salmon to bake with garlic and ginger, will steam some broccoli and serve with more brown rice... Each of these meals have enough leftovers for 3 meals.

Also stocked up on enough greens to make myself a green juice everyday... Should be a good healthy eats week!

Last edited by happyhermit; 01-21-2016 at 08:14 PM.
#4584 of 4789 Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 AM

Leftover night here. Probably beef stew with bakery rye for DH and I, bacon mac and broccoli for the girls.
#4585 of 4789 Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Tuesday - Pad thai noodles, tofu or shrimp, vegetables
Wednesday - Asian-style soup, frozen dumplings
Thursday - Honey-baked lentils & rice
Friday - Spaghetti & meatballs
Saturday - Party, contributing vegetarian Thai noodle salad

I'm switching Thursday & Friday because I got clearance tomatoes to roast for sauce yesterday, but otherwise have been sticking to my plan!

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#4586 of 4789 Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Husband made dinner tonight - smoked sausage, baked potatoes and a salad on the side.

#4587 of 4789 Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have some cod defrosting, but I haven't yet decided what to do with it.

#4588 of 4789 Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM

I was selfish tonight and made something DD and DH don't like: tofu, chick pea, tomato and spinach curry with rice and peas. Baby liked it. It's two and two now!
Ragana likes this.
#4589 of 4789 Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Hey ladies! Haven't been around much lately.
We're onthe east coast and getting hit hard by the snow. So I made a very simple dinner bc I'm trying to keep the mess and chaos down. I made chicken nuggets, Mac n cheese and corn. Hey the Mac n cheese and corn were organic and the chicken nuggets were all natural and cage free at least 😉
I usually made homemade dinners but I like to always have some Annie's Mac n cheese and frozen nuggets on hand for those nights that get chaotic.
#4590 of 4789 Old 01-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I made chicken nuggets, Mac n cheese and corn. Hey the Mac n cheese and corn were organic and the chicken nuggets were all natural and cage free at least 😉
It's the Mothering way mmmmm

Good luck with the snow!!
happyhermit likes this.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page