Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

#481 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sunday, was provencal chicken. it was fabulous!

last night, was chili with organic, grass fed ground beef. DD loved it, DS wouldn't try it. :(

tonight, italian beef barley soup in the crock pot. 

tomorrow, leftovers

thursday, whole free range organic chicken in the crock pot. anyone have any good recipes? i usually do jerk or this one. looking to change it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Making quality meals is a priority for me, and it has become such a regular part of my day, it feels weird when I don't have to make dinner for anybody.  It's like I'm on autopilot, my day is a cycle of making food and cleaning up from it. Start with simple meals and work your way up, you'll hit your stride, it just kind of all falls into place eventually.

i completely agree. it took a while for me to find my grove, but i love cooking now.

#483 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

If I froze cooked, shredded pork, I would use it in a chili or other kind of stew later.  That way any change in flavor or texture wouldn't be a big deal.  That is what I do with cooked turkey or ham that has been frozen.

ah, sounds like a good idea!

Tonight we are having black bean enchiladas, salsa of some sort, and chips. Maybe rice and refried beans. We are having friends over so I am making more than usual for just us.

#484 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

We are actually doing the chicken fajitas and sopaipillas tonight. I don't recall what we ended up having the other day instead of them, so here we are. And I've got to get a coffee cake in the oven for breakfast for the next few days too. Today I had sugar cookies for breakfast. Not to good. And I will post the sopaipilla recipe later, since I have the cookbook out. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#485 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Yes- lol. one mom said it gets easier when they are older- lol my kids are older!

I made salmon cakes tonight- Thing is I suck at making it a whole meal- I cook salmon cakes- with celery and onion but I don't make a side- or provide a grain or a fruit.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#486 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Hey I want to join here!  I was on the veg*n thread, but this one seems to move a bit faster..maybe give me some more ideas!  DH is vegetarian and DS and I are pescetarian's as of the last year.  I basically never cook fish (except for one time when a friend brought a salmon fillet over to my house) but we will eat it at restaurants or if other people cook it for us. 

I'm in my final semester of nursing school (or starting tomorrow, rather) and I am about to have very little time at home period, let alone for cooking.  I did a bunch of freezer stock up over the break and made DH his own little recipe go-to book to use on nights he's going to have to cook for himself and DS, but I am sure I won't be able to NOT cook ever!  I still like to get new ideas.  I get bored with food easily.  We have friends coming over this Friday, and I'm trying to decide if we should do a veggie pot pie with the pie crust sitting in the freezer or use the recipe of roasted eggplant and tomato soup that's been sitting on my counter all week, but looks SO good!  I'm leaning towards the soup, but I'm afraid it won't be enough for 6 people even with bread and salad? 

Last night we had baked tofu, steamed broccoli and asparagus and baked sweet and russet potatoes (a mix to choose from)

Tonight we ordered pizza as a treat for DS making a reading achievement in school today

Tomorrow is most likely going to be something really boring like frozen veggie stir-fry or spaghetti since I'll be getting home late and we can't go to the grocery store till Thursday.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#487 of 3519 Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Gator-mom - you could always double your soup recipe. And if you don't eat it all, you could probably freeze what's left. 

The fajitas and sopaipillas were so good tonight. And as promised, the sopaipilla recipe - 

4 cups flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon shortening

1 cup warm water

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Cut in the shortening. 

Add the water and mix the dough until it just comes together. Add water or flour until you get the consistency right - should feel a bit like pie dough. 

Knead for a minute or two until the dough is smooth, then let rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour. 

Roll the dough out until it's about 1/8 inch thick and cut into squares. 

Deep fry in shortening (I use about half a can of Crisco-like product) until golden brown and puffy, turning once. 

I usually get about 25 of them per batch. You can either serve them plain with refried beans and salsa, or roll them in cinnamon sugar while still warm. I usually do both, so we can have dinner and dessert all in the same effort. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#488 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Oh btw- The pheasant turned out- INCREDIBLE!!! I am a vegetarian who eats seafood.... will have to check the spelling off gator moms post lol.  NEver knew there was a word for what I was!!!  But the kids eat meat.  I did however eat the pheasant.  ANd I loved it.

The kids also loved the salmon cakes it is so cheap and easy and pretty healthy-

I took one can of salmon deboned and deskinned

2 eggs

chopped up celery and onion( just a little)

1/4 cup cornmeal

2tbs flour

and some crackers smashed up

Mix all together putting in flour last

made into patties or cakes( you can make balls to- kind of fun for kids)

And sauteed them on the stove... it says to fry but I just used a little oil and they turned out good. I don't like them- but thats just me Kids love them.

Their daycare made these all the time.  The kids think it is a treat lol.

#489 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 AM

Oh- I was also going to say something I realized.... I do serve grains and fruit- just as snacks.  They have whole grain toast and cereal and my dd will after school eat a few oranges and maybe a few more before bed... I keep 3 bowls of fruit at all times and that is all that is available for them to snack on.

It would be very easy to cut up an apple at dinner time and serve that as the fruit right?

And I do serve whole grain rice alot- they love it- as a snack even.

We don't do regular snacks here- just leftovers or fruit.

So maybe I just need to not make such a big deal out of it and think it thru like make a check list.

What does a full healthy meal look like- how many grains , fruit, vegetable???

Oh- and here is another problem I am having..... we don't eat at the table.  ( :() )

I know I know- they don't want to eat at the table. I will set it and everything on table..... ask them to sit down and they come get their plates and go back to living room to the tv.....

I know I know.

Any ideas on how to get them to sit with me and want to and not complain and yell.

#490 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

Oh- and here is another problem I am having..... we don't eat at the table.  ( :() )

I know I know- they don't want to eat at the table. I will set it and everything on table..... ask them to sit down and they come get their plates and go back to living room to the tv.....

I know I know.

Any ideas on how to get them to sit with me and want to and not complain and yell.

Have you tried getting them involved? Let them set the table and pick out special place mats or tablecloth. You could do a table craft with them too (not at dinner, for dinner) like making a centerpiece or place cards or something. Or a bowl of home made fortune cookies (I saw some neat fabric ones on Pinterest the other day) - they could help you make those, then everyone gets to open one after dinner. 

#491 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Emilie, turn off the tv.  Set a 'no tv at supper time' rule.  Sit and talk about your day while you eat.  You are the parent and are the one responsible for setting the rules and expectations in your home.  In my house, whining about something gets the kids absolutely nowhere. 

I think what a healthy meal looks like depends on who's lookin'.  Some nights I just serve one thing--like it might be spaghetti, but there are GOBS of veggies in the spaghetti.  Or it might be a big bowl (or 4 if your kids are like mine) of soup and a roll or some crackers.  Sometimes as a side I put out several kinds of pickles, and a plate of sliced oranges.  A bowl of carrot and celery sticks often appears on our table.

When you are cooking something like salmon patties, have your kids peeling carrots for carrot sticks.  Have another washing celery for celery sticks.  My littlest one has her own veggie peeler, cutting board, safe knives, and measuring cups.  They are the Curious Chef ones.  She loves them and will peel 10 carrots for me w/no problems.  The Curious Chef stuff really works and is great quality.  At 6 and 8 your kids are old enough to learn to use real kitchen stuff w/supervision. 

Last night we ended up having a cabbage/ham/onion/celery sautee with mac and cheese.  I was SO busy w/crabapples alllllllllll day.  I still have a 5 gallon bucket and a large cooler and a half to get thru.  ****sigh****  My mom wants to come tomorrow w/my sister and her 4 kids and now I have to get my kids busy making bierocks for tomorrow.  My sister's kids are all teenaged boys except for her adult dd.  I'd better have my kids make ALOT.  I have enough rolling pins for them to sit at the table and roll out dough and stuff them.  I can be washing more crab apples and making jelly while they make tomorrow's lunch, lol.  Awesome.  My little sweat shop, rofl.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#492 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Going to Costco today, so I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken. They are so good and the carcass makes tasty stock.

chicken soft tacos

refried back beans

spanish rice

chopped tomato, lettuce, avocado

fruit (probably apples, my CSA delivery is today and the pears won't come ready to eat)

#493 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM

We're having left-over pease soup with Christmas hambone (YUMM!) - daughter is having breastmilk.  Hah.  I am a big fan of one-pot meals, since I come from a working-class background on the East coast, luckily, I have approx. one billion one-pot recipes memorized.  Sweet beans, pot roast, a million kinds of stews...  more kinds of beans, whooo, lentils, fancy!

My family is coming for a visit and so I have been in menu-planning mode.  I'll be making carnitas so they can try some Tex-mex, some spaghetti and meatballs (because they are hubs' favorite, he loves his red gravy now that he has me to cook it for him) and some Guiness stew for the old man, because as he says, he is too old to chase his food around a plate too much.  And he's losing teeth anyway so he needs soft foods.  So I'm going to humour him with an old-fashioned favorite.  I was thinking of making chicken pot pies for lunch one day as well.  I can see that my baby-weight loss plans will be somewhat on hold this coming week.  The afore-mentioned sweet beans will also be on hand for him, for breakfast and lunch.  And maybe some biscuits and sausage gravy, because they consider Southern food very exotic and will be amazed that I can make this from scratch now, having lived in the South for a year or three.  Apple-cranberry pie, oatmeal cake and a spice cake for desserts - the old man has a horrible sweet teeth.  (Perhaps why he has lost so many of them!)

I'm way too excited - best part of visitors is feeding them!

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#494 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM

What are sweet beans?

Teeth or no teeth all that sounds lovely!

My mom wont' be coming tomorrow afterall.  My first batch of crab apple jelly is probably syrup, lol.  Oh well.  I'll still use it up.  Off to wash more and more and more. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#495 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

And maybe some biscuits and sausage gravy, because they consider Southern food very exotic and will be amazed that I can make this from scratch now, having lived in the South for a year or three.  Apple-cranberry pie, oatmeal cake and a spice cake for desserts - the old man has a horrible sweet teeth.  (Perhaps why he has lost so many of them!)

I'm way too excited - best part of visitors is feeding them!

Oh, biscuits and gravy! It's been ages since I made some. Love that stuff. I've not tried it at home since we became lactose intolerant (oh, eight years or so ago) but now that you've mentioned it I've got a wicked craving. I bet soymilk will work just fine; usually done. I think I'm going to do that for breakfast for dinner on Friday night. And spice cake - I might make my applesauce spice cake since I've got loads and loads of canned apples to use. 

Oh, and tonight we're going super simple again - spaghetti with marinara and Italian sausages. 

#496 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM

We had the same thing tonight, kitchensqueen!  Except minus the sausage..lol.  We had a salad for DH and I and steamed carrots for Ds since he wont' touch leaves! 

I think I will go for the soup on Friday...it just looks so dang good!  I was making a vision board for New Years and came across it in a magazine..I've been staring at it every day since.

Tomorrow..probably something easy again but I'm going to the store in the afternoon, so I should at least have some fresh veggies around.  I think this weekend may be the last one that I get in some decent cooking for awhile.. DH is going to have to step in with my up-coming schedule of chaos!

#497 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM

I really love this thread you mama's are an inspiration!

#498 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Chicky2, crabapple syrup sounds good too!  I have a "thing" for whole wheat pancakes...  I bet that would taste fabulous together.  Sweet beans are navy beans with sugar and some kind of pork or maybe corned beef.  Or Spam.  Yeah.  Now that I typed that, it seems very bad.  But it's not.  It is the best, best thing ever.  I usually soak and boil the beans with a hambone or hamhock or salt pork until their skins are just starting to become loose (starting with dried beans) and then I drain, add some chopped ham or corned beef and brown sugar to taste.  Soemtimes I get all fanciful and add some marjoram to the boil water, but generally not.  It's just beans, pork, and sugar.  It's bananas for breakfast on an English muffin. 

kitchensqueen, call me crazy but I bet you could get some crumbled pork or chicken sausage, fry it up, reserve the fat, add the flour, cook until...  well, whatever you cook that roux until.  I always go blonde.  And then add chicken stock.  <steps aside to avoid lightning>

Serve that over biscuits and call it sausage and gravy!

Mmmmmm, italian sausage...  and being in Chicago, I bet you can get the good stuff.  MmmmmmMmm, drool. 

(Yes, I'm aware that the above two pieces do, in fact, damn me in a variety of disparate ways.  Pork and sugar, followed by how to "lighten up" sausage gravy.  At least I'll be warm where I'm headed!  :-D)

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#499 of 3519 Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

Chicky2, crabapple syrup sounds good too!  I have a "thing" for whole wheat pancakes...  I bet that would taste fabulous together.  Sweet beans are navy beans with sugar and some kind of pork or maybe corned beef.  Or Spam.  Yeah.  Now that I typed that, it seems very bad.  But it's not.  It is the best, best thing ever.  I usually soak and boil the beans with a hambone or hamhock or salt pork until their skins are just starting to become loose (starting with dried beans) and then I drain, add some chopped ham or corned beef and brown sugar to taste.  Soemtimes I get all fanciful and add some marjoram to the boil water, but generally not.  It's just beans, pork, and sugar.  It's bananas for breakfast on an English muffin. 

kitchensqueen, call me crazy but I bet you could get some crumbled pork or chicken sausage, fry it up, reserve the fat, add the flour, cook until...  well, whatever you cook that roux until.  I always go blonde.  And then add chicken stock.  <steps aside to avoid lightning>

Serve that over biscuits and call it sausage and gravy!

Mmmmmm, italian sausage...  and being in Chicago, I bet you can get the good stuff.  MmmmmmMmm, drool. 

(Yes, I'm aware that the above two pieces do, in fact, damn me in a variety of disparate ways.  Pork and sugar, followed by how to "lighten up" sausage gravy.  At least I'll be warm where I'm headed!  :-D)

So sweet beans are kind of like baked beans then. Except brown sugar instead of molasses. That doesn't sound too atrocious, no. ;-)

And I may try a little chicken stock in with the soymilk to boost the flavor up, but I really want old-school biscuits and gravy and not so much a chicken and dumplings style thing. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can come up with. Soymilk is usually a pretty straight up sub for milk, despite popular opinion on the matter. 

#500 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM

We ended up having sloppy joes because I needed something quick, and we needed to use up buns.  We had steamed spaghetti squash, carrot and celery sticks, and sliced oranges with it.

NO idea yet for tonight.  All I can seem to plan are crab apples, lol.  Speaking of....off to can the pickled spiced ones I have soaking.  Not sure how many pints I'll get, but it's a big pot!  Then to wash more.  I am getting so dang tired of washing crab apples!  My hands are tired of being cold and wet all day.

#501 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am a big fan of one pot meals! I might have a simple salad (lettuce, broccoli, carrots, etc) on the side at most. Tonight I'm thinking bean burritos: Vegetarian refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, chunky salsa, sour cream. White flour tortillas- bad, I know, but I hate the whole wheat ones :P 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#502 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Argh. I'm cooking in my mom's kitchen - we're renovating so we're staying at her place while she's down south - and I can't find anything and she doesn't have a million thinks I find essential. Plus her fridge is crammed with stuff that should be thrown out.
We had pizza last night out of desperation.
Tonight is chicken thighs, potatoes and carrots roasted together with rosemary, garlic and lemon with a spinach and mushroom salad on the side.
Gator-mom - a sort of mezze platter would be great with that soup and all vegan. You could make hummus and serve it with pita, olives, canned dolmades and some tabouleh - I've been making mine with quinoa instead of bulghur lately.
I have to say Chicky, I've been embarrassed to see you make good use of crab apples. We just curse while having to sweep them up daily off our car every day in fall!
Thanks for the sopaipillas recipe, Kitchensqueen. You're making my "recipes-to-try" file bulge!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#503 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Megan- that's a good idea for the mezza platter.  I just bought a tub of hummus at costco today because I was craving it BAD! 

DH made a late afternoon lunch of Indian cauliflower and potatoes which is like aloo gobi except without the tomatoes.  It's his fav thing to make and cooks it at least once a week..so needless to say, I am heating that up for DS for dinner tonight cause he loves "yellow food"!  DH is full and I guess I'm going to enjoy my fresh veggies I bought today and make a salad or something..it's a little sporatic tonight.

#504 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Tonight we are having potatoes au gratin and fried ham- I am in the mood for comfort, and poattoes are one of those things that are good in the winter (we are so tired of bland veggies, or frozen veggies) note to self: can some good veggies for next winter). But anyways. Yesterday we had tortellini, tomato-herb sauce with leftover meat (sausage, salami, pepperoni) from a pizza last week and roasted butternut squash. It was really good and cheap. 

I am having trouble making cheap doable salads lately. They all taste weird and off to us. Any suggestions? 

#505 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Thanks for the sopaipillas recipe, Kitchensqueen. You're making my "recipes-to-try" file bulge!

You're welcome - hopefully you like them! Just be careful not to overwork the dough, otherwise they'll be a little tough. And that's definitely the danger in this thread - too many great new things to try!

Tonight I was planning on making a spicy meatloaf with mashed potatoes, but my ground beef and pork weren't fully defrosted. I hate my ancient refrigerator. If I weren't in a rental and we were made of money, I'd totally get a new one. It takes stuff forever to defrost in there because it's so cold, but if we turn it down even a notch it gets so warm in there I worry after the safety of the food. I figure too cold is better than too warm. But I digress. 

So we ended up ordering from the new Chinese place we discovered a bit ago - it was good again! I'm so glad they weren't a one hit wonder. I got baby egg rolls and bamee noodels again, while husband got spring rolls and cashew chicken this time. We ate our fill and still have leftovers for lunch. I love getting a good deal like that. 

#506 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Publix Greenwise chicken cutlets...breaded and baked with salad consisting of Organic Girl Super Greens and shredded Greenwise carrots and Ken's Lite Northern Italian dressing. My 5 yr old daughter put on her new apron she got for Christmas and "cooked" her own salad. Used about half the bottle of Kens!

My 9 yr old son had frozen green beans with sea salt instead of salad. He doesn't eat salad. He doesn't eat a lot of things! Same with my husband! Cooking is a challenge in my house. Nothing white for my husband and nothing red for my son! Ugghh!

We had Publix chocolate frozen yogurt for dessert (I snuck in some Culturelle acidopholis for the kids). Then they took their vitamins because we forgot this morning but I didn't give them the energy boosting B12. I'll save that for breakfast!

They drank organic milk. 2% for my son, 1% for daughter. I'm concerned about her weight distribution...belly fat to be specific! She was on high calorie formula due to being preemie, and never seemed to drop the baby fat since then! She has also suffered from GI problems, and higher fat foods tend to give her stomach aches. 

I drank filtered water, and a couple of glasses of Malbec!

Trying to save money and cook more. It's so hard to cook for this picky family, and I was never one to enjoy cooking. I don't usually like what I make and it's so much work to clean afterwards!

Making Lasagne tomorrow. That means I will have to have some back-up plain noodles because my son won't eat sauce! 

#507 of 3519 Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

I am having trouble making cheap doable salads lately. They all taste weird and off to us. Any suggestions? 

How about adding chopped walnuts and apples with a sweeter dressing?  Or make a broccoli salad with dried cranberries, red onion and nuts or seeds with a blush wine vinaigrette? Of course, there is always making a spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and mushrooms, a little of that dressing goes a long way and it's so yummy.

We had a looooong day (but a good day) and I didn't plan well and get something in the CP this morning.  

Kids: raviolis, chicken sausage, broccoli, apples

Adults: I think I will have dh pick up some thai food, maybe some red curry tofu, chicken in peanut sauce, and eggplant in garlic sauce (our busy day came with good news, so we feel like treating ourselves :)

#508 of 3519 Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

We like baby spinach with fennel sliced super thin with a mandoline and a basic vinaigrette with dijon and some dried basil in it. It's great with pizza and pasta. Also good is "keeper coleslaw" - shredded red cabbage, onion and grated carrot with a dressing made of canola oil, white wine vinegar and celery seed heated up and poured over the veggies. It keeps for five days in the fridge and is good with burgers and pulled pork sandwiches.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#509 of 3519 Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post

We had Publix chocolate frozen yogurt for dessert (I snuck in some Culturelle acidopholis for the kids). Then they took their vitamins because we forgot this morning but I didn't give them the energy boosting B12. I'll save that for breakfast!

Trying to save money and cook more. It's so hard to cook for this picky family, and I was never one to enjoy cooking. I don't usually like what I make and it's so much work to clean afterwards!

We do a specially formulated b12 lotion because we have Aspies in da house.  Shouting from the mountain tops that it is healing my most severe daughter along w/the rest of the holistic protocol she's on!!!!  Just had to get that out, lol.  Much happiness lately because of it.

As far as cleaning up, how old are your kiddos?  Why not have them do cleanup?  I have 2 kids who help w/prep for supper if I need it, one who clears and sets the table, and one who cleans up afterwards.  And I do not do dishes.  no way no how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I have to say Chicky, I've been embarrassed to see you make good use of crab apples. We just curse while having to sweep them up daily off our car every day in fall!

FOR SHAME!!!!!!  LOL.  Part of my job is making the $ my dh brings in go further.  Foraging makes that easier (ok, not easier on me, but ykwim). I'm going to see if I can rob my moms garden tomorrow.  She has my sis's family there (3 teenaged boys!) so there may be nothing left to pick this week.  I am craving kale something fierce and mine never came up.  I'm thinking I may be slightly anemic 'cause all I want is green stuff and beef and liver. 

I made spiced pickled crab apples, preserved cinnamon crab apples, crab apple syrup, and crab apples canned in heavy syrup since they are so sour.  I also have 10 gallons in the freezer to do something with later on, and 20 cups of juice frozen.  I still have a 5 gallon bucket and half a cooler to go, but honestly I'll probably dump the cooler in the woods for the deer and birds to eat.  I have other things I need to do, like take down my Christmas decorations, lol!

I also need to shop for fruit trees.  We are wanting to put in a small orchard this year.  We already have 2 peach trees, and one apricot (my other apricot died), 2 fig trees (trying to grow).  I want 2 plum trees, one more apricot, and maybe a couple of crab apple trees since they are so prolific.  I also need to get more grapes going and maybe try blackberries again--my goats ate the others, lol.  Gonna look at my moms tomorrow to see if there are a couple of small pecan trees we can dig up and bring home.  Anything that flowers is extra good here since we keep bees.  We brought home a big part of a dead tree w/a big bee colony inside last weekend.  Someone called and needed to put up a fence where the bee tree was.  So we brought it home and chained it to another tree (to keep it turned correctly) in our woods.  We'll break it open and put the bees in hives when the weather is warmer. 

Talk about meal planning, rofl....

#510 of 3519 Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Homemade pizza night!

kids: leftover rotisserie chicken and cheese, spinach hidden in the sauce on a wheat crust

adults: chicken, red pepper, mushrooms, carmelized onions and cheese on a garlic herb crust

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page