Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

#31 of 3615 Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yum- I'd love the recipe for your homemade bbq sauce, if you wouldn't mind sharing. 

Not sure what we're having for dinner tonight though- 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 3615 Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofNRM View Post

Yum- I'd love the recipe for your homemade bbq sauce, if you wouldn't mind sharing. 

Not sure what we're having for dinner tonight though- 

Don't mind sharing at all, it's been posted on my blog for ages - Homemade Barbecue Sauce. :-) It easily doubles if you want to make a big batch, and keeps in the fridge for a good long while. It's good on just about everything - pulled pork, grilled chicken, ribs... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#33 of 3615 Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Scalloped potatoes tonight at our house. It's still in the 80s though (so much for the lovely fall 60s we had last week) so I'm not excited about turning on the oven... but I've really been craving them lately. I wish I had some broccoli or some kind of green veg to serve on the side though. 

Come on everyone, what's for dinner? :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#34 of 3615 Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM

Ugh.  I don't wanna cook tonight but somehow I"m going to have to find the energy!  We just got back from the Great Wolf Lodge indoor waterpark homeschool days for 2 days and I have muscles that must not have been used in the last 15 years that HURT!!!

I think I'll do grilled sausage and salad and fresh fruit and call it good.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#35 of 3615 Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Last night I had to work pretty late, so DH took the kids out for Hungry Jack's (I think it's called Burger King in the US). When I came home, DH had saved some fries for me. Maybe last night wasn't as healthy as we strive to be... orngtongue.gif

Tonight we made up for that and had vegetarian chicken noodle soup made from a recipe on http://www.yummyvegetarianrecipes.com with rye bread on the side. Delish! Dessert was some fruit-mine was strawberries. We have fruit for dessert every night we have it.

Tommorrow night, I'm thinking kayaku gohan (Japanese fried rice) without the pork it usually has.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#36 of 3615 Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Last night we had raccoon baked in a balsamic vinegar/dijon mustard/red onion sauce which was then reduced and I added sour cream and fresh parsley.  Served over rice.  Grilled zucchini and sausages, grapes and carrot sticks.  My middle dd had trapped one and we said we'd cook it and try it if she caught one.  She was very proud to provide food for her family.  It was quite tasty, but we are adventurous, too.  Had the mouth feel of goat meat, and tasted very clean, and not wild or gamey at all.

Tonight is home made baked mac and cheese w/leftovers of a sausage/cabbage/onion/bell pepper/celery bake. 

Tomorrow is clean-out-the-fridge night and then we have a local prawn harvest around the country corner and will be bringing lots home to grill w/tons of other foods--having family out.  We'll make grilled corn on the cob, jalapenos stuffed w/cream cheese and wrapped in bacon and baked, simple grilled cheese/veggie pizzas, and shrimp.  And lots of beer, lol.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#37 of 3615 Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we had grilled hotdogs, baked beans and Pringles. Total junk food, but I had a serious craving for hot dogs! 

Tonight I'm making Gramigna alla Salsiccia e Vino (sausage pasta). I always want pasta when the weather turns cooler, and it's finally feeling fall-like; only in the upper 50s. 

I try to do fish on Fridays, so I'm thinking cioppino for tomorrow night. Another craving I've been having, and soups are another cool weather favorite. 

#38 of 3615 Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

DH is cooking tonight since I'm working til 6. 

He's making fried potatoes and red onions, baked bbq chicken, some sort of veggie.  Doubt we'll have bread since my kids fill up on the potatoes.  Hopefully he remembers to fry up an extra pan of red onions otherwise DD2 will be forking them off everyone elses plates.

Tomorrow he promised chili, can't wait.  Though for some reason he eats chili with bread and peanut butter?  Really? 

Wednesday depending on the weather, we'll either have Orange chicken over rice with garlic green beans or Clam chowder in a bread bowls.  I hope it's cold out I want that clam chowder... I make with lots of whip and butter.  So fattening delicious!

#39 of 3615 Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM

We are having biscuits and sausage gravy.  My SIL had her pig processed and she gave us some really awesome sausage and bacon....

The last 2 nights we had fresh prawns from the harvest around the corner, jalapenos stuffed w/cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, corn on the cob, and fruit salad.   Those prawns are THE BEST.

I also made a goulash-type dish w/pork and onions and bell peppers and will serve over egg noodles for lunch tomorrow. 

#40 of 3615 Old 09-20-2011, 05:28 AM

There seem to be so many awesome pork recipes! My family won't eat pork, we just can't do it. I didn't start eating meat again until my early 20's and pork was just one of those things I never added back into my diet. I've tried it a few times and at this point I think it's all mental. I just can't do it. Neither can DH. DD1 and DD2 have never had it. Prawns sound so good. So do the those jalapenos with cream cheese! I'm going to have to make some. Do you use fresh jalapenos or jarred?

#41 of 3615 Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM

We get our pork for mostly free.  Feral pigs are a horrible, horrible problem where my mom lives, and will soon be in my own backyard (not penned, lol).  Her hubby and their neighbor trap them for people and we have all the meat we can eat.  We go get some, put them in pens and feed them out and have meat and bones for stock, fat for lard, and best of all, we know what goes into them--every single bite.  There was a great article a few months back in the Smithsonian about Texas wild pigs, and how the meat is very sought-after in France and many other places.  Same stuff they eat in Hawaii at a Luau.  Much more rich and yummy (and clean!) than store-bought pork.  If you can find a source, you are in for a treat!  (um, where 'bouts in Texas are you?  I just noticed that....)

The prawns are fantastic.  Nothing like what you get from the sea.  And since it's around the country corner it goes along w/our views on eating locally as much as possible.

For the jalapenos, take a nice fat fresh one, slice it in half lengthwise, and scrape out the goods.  Make sure to get all the membrane if you want them mild.  Spoon some softened cream cheese (you can add garlic, or whatever blows your skirt up to it, but I usually just leave it plain) into the pepper and wrap w/a 1/2 piece of bacon (or 1/3) and I don't even secure w/a toothpick anymore.  Just lay 'em out on a cookie sheet w/edges and pop in the oven until the bacon looks to your liking and the peppers are soft but not squishy.  They are so good.  About halfway thru cooking I carefully tip the pan until most of the jalapenoey rendered bacon fat goodness runs out and then man, can you flavor up some other stuff w/that, so save it in the fridge!

I love to cook them on the smoker.  The cheese gets all smokey and yummy....

Um, they rock at midnight, cold out of the fridge after a few beers. 

#42 of 3615 Old 09-20-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm going to make the stuffed jalapenos this weekend.  Sounds good.  As far as the pork... maybe someday.  I'd really have to ready my mind for that.

San Antonio

#43 of 3615 Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

We broke into the post pregnancy freezer meal stash for some pasta bolognese. So glad I got that into the freezer; it's been a comfort food kind of day. 

#44 of 3615 Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Tacos.  Simple, easy tacos.  I use green cabbage instead of lettuce lately.  Lasts longer in the fridge....

When I make tacos I just make tacos.  I make 'em all up in a big pan and serve them outside.

#45 of 3615 Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Chicken and rice, it was good and filling. I need to find recipes DH will like that don't include too much meat. His likes and dislikes have changed drastically. He cooks a lot and I think at this point he just makes what the DD's like. I think we're going out for Moroccan tomorrow night. He'll love that. This time he's getting his own lentils. He kept thieving mine last time.
#46 of 3615 Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

MMMM, Moroccan.....

I used to make a yummy chicken and lentil Moroccan dish.  Lemme see if I can find the recipe, or something similar. 

Ok, found it...  http://tastyplanner.com/recipes/crock-pot-moroccan-chicken-and-lentils  That's pretty much it.  I think I probably added some cumin or oregano to it.  Great w/a dab of yogurt on top and some parsley or cilantro... Garam masala is something else I think I added some of....

Tonight we are having clean-out-the-fridge soup.  I had deer stock in the freezer, one ear of fresh corn, a container of mushrooms, half a zucchini, a red bell pepper and half a green one, red onion, handful of carrot sticks, celery, and 2 sweet potatoes.  I had about a 1/3 cup of brown lentils, and maybe a 1/4 cup of brown basmati rice left.  Tossed it all in a pot w/some garlic and a bay leaf.  Have a loaf of multigrain bread in the bread maker.  I'm enjoying cooler weather here--it's only in the mid-70s today.  I need to get out sweaters, lol!

Off to check on my bees for a friend who wants to borrow some brood...

#47 of 3615 Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Oh nice! Thanks for the recipe. We're not going tonight, doing left overs. Both DH and I have caught our first cold in years. While he's man colding it up, I'm pretty sure I'm dying. Ok we never get sick so we're not happy.

Chicken and rice it is tonight, girls will be happy. We have some orange chicken left DD1 loves that. I think we're making pizza's tomorrow night but that depends on DH. If he picks up more cheese that is. Otherwise we'll be covering the whole thing in Gouda... and last time DH and I shared a wheel of gouda... it's wasn't gooda... ha... I'm pretty pathetic!
#48 of 3615 Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM

veggie crockpot chili- praying my nursing baby doesnt object all night long!!  It was SO good, though- hopefully worth it

#49 of 3615 Old 09-22-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight we fired up the grill for some brats, sweet corn and baked potatoes - trying to use up the produce in the fridge before it goes bad since it sat over the weekend while were at the hospital having the baby. My husband had to do a quick freezer job on a quart of peaches when we got home since they they were starting to go soft, and I've got another quart of apples in the fridge - I'd like to do up an apple brown betty, but I'm just to tired... maybe tomorrow I'll just dice them up and cook them into pie filling for the freezer since that's pretty quick and I always like to have it on hand anyway. 

No idea what we'll do for dinner tomorrow night. We're trying not to break into our stash of freezer meals until my husband goes back to work next week. 

#50 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Did you have a baby, Kitchenqueen?  Congrats!  Good grief, put your feet up and let someone else do everything!

Imakcerka, you are funny.  I bet we'd get along irl, lol.

Chili sounds good.  I can't get away w/vegetarian more than 2 nights a week around here, though.  Hmmmm, I have some deer meat thawing...

I'm firing up the smoker and putting an uncured ham on for lunchmeat.  And a half a little pig for supper tonight.  Not sure what will go with it.  Leftover veggie soup and a loaf of bread in the breadmaker, maybe....

Kids are making a huge batch of pumpkin cranberry pancakes today to celebrate Fall!

#51 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Tonight we are having Tamale Pie, which is a cornmeal batter on the bottom of a pie pan. Then mix together 1 can of mexican tomatoes and 1 can (or homemade) refried beans, some garlic, cumin and chili powder for the filling. Top with more cornmeal batter and shredded cheddar cheese. Heat til bubbling.

Cheap, easy to make, is vegetarian (can be vegan) and gluten free. Also freezes well.

#52 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Did you have a baby, Kitchenqueen?  Congrats!  Good grief, put your feet up and let someone else do everything!

Hahaha - yep, one week ago today! Husband did the grilling; I held the baby. It was so nice to be outside a little bit! 

Tonight he's making steak and mashed potatoes. :-) 

#53 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Butternut squash soup with tofu and brocolli, green salad, homemade artisan wheat bread

#54 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Tonight we fired up the grill for some brats, sweet corn and baked potatoes - trying to use up the produce in the fridge before it goes bad since it sat over the weekend while were at the hospital having the baby. My husband had to do a quick freezer job on a quart of peaches when we got home since they they were starting to go soft, and I've got another quart of apples in the fridge - I'd like to do up an apple brown betty, but I'm just to tired... maybe tomorrow I'll just dice them up and cook them into pie filling for the freezer since that's pretty quick and I always like to have it on hand anyway. 

No idea what we'll do for dinner tomorrow night. We're trying not to break into our stash of freezer meals until my husband goes back to work next week. 

How old's your baby?  Mine will be one month on monday- I am also holding off  on the freezer stash as much as possible- and freezing leftovers here and there for those rough nights

#55 of 3615 Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

How old's your baby?  Mine will be one month on monday- I am also holding off  on the freezer stash as much as possible- and freezing leftovers here and there for those rough nights

He's one week old today. :-)

#56 of 3615 Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm gonna need a you all to invite me to dinner... Holy yummy you guys make me hungry. We do more good eating in the winter we're nibblers in the summer.  MMMMM!

Monday night it's gonna be white chicken chili.  However I may take out the chicken and do a sausage instead. 

#57 of 3615 Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Monday night it's gonna be white chicken chili.  However I may take out the chicken and do a sausage instead. 

Now I want that! My sister has raved for years about white chicken chili, and we finally tried it over the summer. I'm hooked! 

#58 of 3615 Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am lobbying hard for bacon and whiskey chili tonight, but my husband doesn't seem too enthused about it today... I hope he comes around though because it is soup weather here and I must have some! With cornbread! 

#59 of 3615 Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM

was soup weather here and it has turned muggy and warm- lots of frozen soup and chili waiting for those cool nights ahead.

In the meantime,  another summer frittata, zucchini, corn, green salads - will enjoy summer meals while we can :)

#60 of 3615 Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I got the bacon and whiskey chili with cornbread last night! Plenty of leftovers, so I had a bowl for lunch too.

Tonight I'm making cioppino with toasted sourdough. I'm big into soup right now. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page