Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 21 - Mothering Forums
First ... 11  19  20  21 22  23  31  71  121  ... Last
Meal Planning > Dinner - What Are You Having?
Mom31's Avatar Mom31 04:13 PM 01-18-2012

Ugh Computer ate my post.

You are really inspiring me!

Tonight I made butterfly pork chops, salad, rolls and fried potatoes.

Last night I used crock pot and put in one chicken breast, chicken broth, some asian frozen veggies and made some rice on the side.... seasoned it with curry and called it chinese food Kids LOVED IT! 

Tomorrow I am making chicken drumstix rolls baked potato and green beans and prob a salad for dd( she loves salad!)

Or

sweet and sour pork and veggies over rice.

thanks for the motivation.

homemademom's Avatar homemademom 07:21 PM 01-18-2012

Made sloppy joes with ground turkey and beef tonight. I wanted to make them from lentils, but dh is trying to limit his carbs, so we went with meat. For a really quick meal, they were pretty good.  

Tomorrow I'm making white beans with sausage and kale and putting it over polenta.  

Dh will be gone this weekend, so I'm trying to figure out what to make that he doesn't usually like. Probably something with shrimp.  

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:23 PM 01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

If I baked as many sweets as you, KQ, we'd weigh 5 tons each!  We still have bday cake sitting on the counter from Sunday and it will get tossed to the chickens and ducks later.  Good cake, but so dang sweet it is just too much, and I held back 1 whole cup of sugar from the recipe!  The hand pies sound good, though.  I can do that way easier than cake.  Care to share your recipe for that?  Are they like Amish half moon pies?  I do still want to try a shoofly pie.  Never did make one yet.  I could make one and send it to dh's work after I try a small piece, lol.

I love sweets. I know one of these days it's likely to catch up with me, but until it does... I'm going to keep on baking. I am not familiar with Amish half moon pies, but that seems very intriguing to me. I put up recipes for my pie filling for apple hand pies and my shoofly pie on my blog awhile back, if you want to take a peek. :-) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SammyJoe View Post

This is how we do White Chicken Chili in the crockpot. This is one of those recipes where you can use expensive convenience food (canned beans and broth) or the cheaper homemade versions (cooked dry beans and homemade stock).

Cook 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.25 pounds works for us) in the crockpot with 2 cups broth. Shred the meat and return to the pot with the broth.

Add 1 (48 oz) jar Northern beans with liquid. We use 1 lb. cooked dry beans and some of the cooking liquid.

1 large jar (24 oz) medium salsa

8 oz cream cheese, cubed.

Cook on low 4 hours or more.

I cook the chicken all morning, then shred it after lunch and add everything else. This is a crockpot recipe, but not an all day recipe. If is really easy and tasty. This probably serves 8-it makes a lot.

Excellent; another option to try. 

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 08:53 AM 01-19-2012

Last night we had salmon patties - I made them "Asian-style" with canned wild salmon, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, panko crumbs and an egg. Yum! Served with roasted white and sweet potatoes and fish sticks for DD2. The potatoes I cut into disks & sprinkled with oil and salt & baked.

Tonight my meal plan says veggie lasagna with goat cheese.

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 09:06 AM 01-19-2012

KQ, I'll take a looksie, thanks.

Last night I ended up w/a rib out and was in pain so I had my 13 yo dd cut up some zucchini, yellow squash (were on sale at Aldi), red onion, carrots, green bell pepper, butternut squash, white potatoes.  I tossed it all in a pot w/some pork bone broth cubes (reduced to concentrate and frozen in ice cube trays), a can of mushrooms, and a big can of crushed tomatoes. I added some corriander, curry powder, oregano, cayenne, sea salt, honey, lemon juice, and cumin.  Served w/plain yogurt on top.  Wish I'd had cilantro.  It was so good.  Oh, and I had leftover campfire grilled hamburger patties that I just tore up into bite sized pieces and dropped in the soup.  Clean out the fridge soup.

Again, no plan for tonight yet.  I am perfectly capable of planning out meals, I'm just not capable of sticking to the plan, lol.  I am the WORST about changing my mind, even in the middle of cooking!  Maybe I'll do tuna salad sandwiches for most of us, and make a big green salad to go with (and for dd to put under her tuna).  Sounds kinda lazy, but we haven't had tuna salad in ages.  I have 12 grain bread to serve it on.  I need to use up salad stuff in the fridge before it goes bad.

I accidentally have 2 1/2 bags of potatoes in the cabinet.  I need some good potato ideas.  Otherwise I wonder if I can cut them up and freeze them?  I wonder if I'd need to put them in water to freeze so they don't turn black?  Anyone know?  Otherwise I can make a huge batch of potato soup and toss my remaining turnips in there.

Cannot believe it is supposed to be 77 degrees here tomorrow!  Time to clean out the goat barn and rabbit barn and fill my new raised beds w/the good stuff.  I have 2 huge plastic watering containers (4'x4'x5') to fill to make new garden beds (other beds are in old upright freezers on their side).

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 11:31 AM 01-19-2012
You can freeze potatoes - you just need to cook them first. I found this when I was in the same bind: http://www.best-potato-recipes.com/freezing-potatoes.html
Mom2SammyJoe's Avatar Mom2SammyJoe 12:13 PM 01-19-2012

This is how we freeze hashbrowns. Works great!

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/make-your-own-frozen-hashbrowns

Tonight we are having Asian marinated chicken, probably cooked on the the George Foreman Grill since it is 15 degrees here. Also, I'm making a big batch of fried brown rice so I can put 1/2 in the freezer. I'll stir fry some broccoli with garlic. The rest of the quart of peaches will go to the kids after they try the broccoli.

I froze some chicken with the marinade last time it was on sale, so I just had to pull out a pack to defrost.

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 01:22 PM 01-19-2012

Chicken Legs

Salad

Potato

Rolls

Oranges

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 05:39 PM 01-19-2012

Okay, so I have to confess - I really like Johnsonville sausages. I love the really good hand made stuff when I have the cash and can get all the way across town to one of our two favorite independent butcher shops. But since the stars don't line up very much on those lately, I like Johnsonville. A lot. So they have these new chicken and chicken/pork sausages, and I got a couple coupons for them last week so I picked up a couple of packages of the chicken and apple ones when I did shopping last. So that's what we're having tonight. I have high hopes for them, so I hope they live up to my expectations. I'm going to do potatoes (still debating mashed versus roasted - probably mashed since it's less work) and some steamed broccoli. And we have the last of my home baked bread to eat up too. 

Mom2SammyJoe's Avatar Mom2SammyJoe 06:14 AM 01-20-2012

KQ-We also really like the Johnsonville sausages, especially the hot Italian after they have been grilled. I'm interested to hear what you think of the new ones. I have seen them advertised but we haven't tried them yet.

DD loved the broccoli last night! She kept asking for more. I even had to tell her that I would give her more after she ate some chicken to slow her down. DS ate the 2 pieces we asked him to. He didn't gag or anything (sometimes he does), but didn't want more.

Tonight I am going out with the girls! I pulled some beef and black bean taco filling out of the freezer so DH and the kids can have tacos on WW tortillas. The kids will always eat tacos. I'll probably just crack open a quart of applesauce for them to have with it, since they don't want any veggies on the tacos.

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 07:19 AM 01-20-2012
Were the sausages good? I make a pretty good crockpot meal with sausages where you brown them then cook them with shredded red cabbage, onion and a little cider vinegar and brown sugar. You stir in apple cubes towards the end so they don't totally dissolve. I like it with good rye bread and butter or roasted potatoes on the side.
colemom's Avatar colemom 09:28 AM 01-20-2012

oooo, that sausage recipe sounds good, megan73! I'll have to try it. KQ, I'm also curious what you thought of the new sausage, we like some of the Johnsonville sausages, too.

We are sick here, me and the kids are miserable and dd's 2nd bday is tomorrow, so we have family coming over for brunch and tons to do cleaning up the house and baking a cake.  And, of course, dd won't leave me alone since she feels icky.

Last night:

Kids had hot dogs, tator tots, broccoli and pears. I had dh pick me up some Hot and Sour soup from the Chinese place down the street.

Tonight:

frozen pizza: cheese for the kids, mediterranean vegetables for adults

chicken wings

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:17 AM 01-20-2012

Leftover soup tonight for us, plus whatever else is in there. 

Cleaning out fridge that broke.  Hubby fixed it (only $31, thankfully!), so will be transferring from one fridge to the other. I'm sure to find lots of odds and ends in there to make people eat up tonight, lol.  Going to buy some fresh produce and toiletries this weekend.  That stock up trip I did is holding up way better than I'd imagined, so woohoo there!

We've been eating on the apple cinnamon baked oatmeal I made yesterday.  We eat it w/a drizzle of honey (of course) and fresh goat milk (usually still warm outta the teat).  MMMMMMM!!  Out of this world good.

Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 12:15 PM 01-20-2012

Don't worry about changing up your meals or your meal plans. For me, the point of the plan is to have it if I need it but often other ideas with the same ingredients seem more appealing at the time. As long as I'm staying in my budget of what's in the fridge, changing it up is necessary to keep it fresh.

Potato ideas:

Potato leak soup or chunky potato soup with a dollop of sour cream, little grated cheese and a bit of bacon on top.

Hashed browns

Scalloped Potatoes.

Thanks for the asian salmon patties. Love this thread!

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 05:08 PM 01-20-2012
There is NOTHING better than hot and sour soup when you're sick. Feel better, colemom.
I have to try those Asian salmon patties - they sound totally kid-friendly and it's nice to be able to cook out of the pantry. I'd love to hear more canned fish recipes!
homemademom's Avatar homemademom 05:54 PM 01-20-2012

The white beans and sausage with polenta was really good last night. I used hot Italian turkey sausage (but now I'm thinking I need to try those Johnsonville ones!), along with sautéed onions and peppers and a can of diced tomatoes. Oh, and a little balsamic vinegar.  

Tonight we're getting pizza. Dh is gone and the kids have friends over.  

Gator-mom's Avatar Gator-mom 06:13 PM 01-20-2012

Maybe I'll use the rest of my salmon from the other night and turn them into salmon patties.  Sounds yummy! 

Tonight we are going to some friends and DH is cooking his famous "yellow food" which is just basically aloo gobi without tomatoes. 

Feel better soon, colemom!

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:31 PM 01-20-2012

I really liked the sausages a lot. However, they did not taste of apples at all. In no way, shape or form. They were really like a chicken kielbasa. But I love kielbasa, so I still liked them. They're a little pricey for what they are - $4.00 for four - which I think is a little too much for a mass-produced, commercial product. But I'll get them again, likely if I have a coupon or they're on sale. I'm thinking they'd be really good in my perloo recipe. 

Tonight we did broiled NY strip steaks (they were at a great price at the store again last week) with a couple of ears of the farmer's market sweet corn from the freezer. I wished we had some bread product to go with it, but I was just too exhausted to put something together. 

Mom31's Avatar Mom31 09:48 PM 01-20-2012

It's just me tonight so I had a pizza.

Mom2SammyJoe's Avatar Mom2SammyJoe 12:08 PM 01-21-2012

I bought a pack of Johnsonville chicken and pork Brats at the store today. After sale and coupon, they were only $1 for the five pack, so I couldn't beat it. DH dug the grill out of the snow and we are going to cook them out there. I have some potatoes baking along next to my apple date cake right now. I'll use those to make fried potatoes tonight for a side. maybe green beans (we have a ton canned from our garden) or veggies and dip to go with it all.

I'm baking for the church coffee hour tomorrow, so that is what the cake is for. I made some zucchini chocolate muffins and still need to do pumpkin muffins as well. I'm considering making some brownies to go with ice cream i bought for dessert tonight, but I may be sick of baking before then.

colemom's Avatar colemom 12:29 PM 01-21-2012

Funny how KQ got us all on a sausage kick! I found some BOGO free so picked up a couple packages.

kielbasa with sauteed peppers and onions

garlic mashed potatoes

brussels sprouts and broccoli

birthday cake

We had to cancel dd's bday party today, she had a fever yesterday and I'm feeling pretty sick, too frown.gif Thanks for the well wishes, dh and I are going to make some hot toddy's tonight, it cures what ails ya!

CookiePie's Avatar CookiePie 01:58 PM 01-21-2012

I decided to fill my calender for the rest of January.  I don't need much in the way of groceries since I have everything on hand except most of the produce!

21 Tonight we are having this Baked Chicken Parmesan with Whole wheat Pasta or Zucchini Noodles

22 Sunday we are having Asian glazed drumsticks with Garlic Green Beans & Brown Rice

23 Monday we are having Salmon Burgers (the same recipe that I linked up-thread) with Coleslaw

24 Tuesday will be Lemon Garlic French lentils cherry tomatoes and Swiss Chard 

25 Wednesday we will have Venison Steak (rubbed with evoo, thyme, salt, pepper & crushed juniper berries) Pan seared, a Red Wine Reduction, onions and mushrooms, baked potatoes & broccoli

26 Thursday Chicken Cobb salad with homemade corn bread

27 Friday Spaghetti and Meatballs with Salad

28 Saturday Cioppino, Homemade Ciabatta,  & Salad

29 Sunday Homemade Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza & Salad

30 Monday Homemade Venison Sloppy Joe's, Sweet Potato Fries, and salad

31 Tuesday Garlicy Broccoli Rabe Sausage & White Beans

Lisoula's Avatar Lisoula 05:36 PM 01-21-2012

I made two huge batches of soup today to last for the next few days.  Chicken noodle (DD's favorite....she goes crazy for it!) and broccoli cheese noodle (which I actually add more veggies than just broccoli, but still call it that.)  We're having maple rolls & cinnamon rolls for dessert.

I finally remembered to put the cold thingy for my ice-cream maker in the freezer, so tomorrow for dessert we're having homemade vanilla ice-cream.  YUM!

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 05:48 PM 01-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Funny how KQ got us all on a sausage kick! 

Hahaha, they're so good, right!? I'm continuing on with it by making perloo for dinner tonight. I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but perloo is pretty similar to jambalaya; if I recall correctly it's regional to parts of South Carolina. I found the recipe for it a few years ago in Saveur, and customized it to our tastes. I use chicken thighs, sausage, bacon and shrimp. It's got an onion, a mess of rice, a can of tomatoes, a few garlic cloves, hot peppers, sweet peppers and chicken stock. Seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme. And it's super adaptable. For the sausage tonight I'm using kielbasa (though I've also been known to use Johnsonville mild Italians in a pinch). And I happen to be out of bacon and shrimp, so we'll do without. I like to serve a bunch of different flavors of Tabasco sauce on the table so we can kick it up as we like. 

And I think my excessive sweets baking kick might be catching up with me a bit... I've got a tooth ache today! It hurts terribly - one of my back teeth that has a filling. It feels like the filling is still intact, but something's up. Going to have to call the dentist on Monday. :-( Until then, I'm taking Tylenol, icing my jaw periodically and brushing like a nutcase! And trying to resist the urge to go do up the chocolate icebox pie I meant to make the other day... wouldn't be so bad if I just chewed on the other side, right? :-)

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 05:52 PM 01-21-2012
KQ, that sounds delicious. They're forever eating perloo in the old comic strip "Pogo" which DH loves. I still have tons of ham in the freezer so I think I'll try it. Both kids like shrimp.
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Shrimp-and-Oyster-Perloo-1000068222
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 05:55 PM 01-21-2012

You should definitely try it! And if you're like me and don't care for oysters, chicken is a good way to go. :-) Saveur has the best recipes, I think. I need to go out tomorrow for a little bit and try to track down this month's issue; I don't have it yet. I've got to get it before they're all gone, so fingers crossed I can find it! 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 09:10 AM 01-22-2012

Sorry about the sickies, Colemom, and KQ, so sorry about the toothache!  You may have decay under the filling.  Ouch.

Last night I decided we'd have fajitas over the campfire (put a grate up on cinder blocks).  I grilled the chicken breast straight on the grate.  I did the bell peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet.  I roasted whole jalapenos, roma tomatoes cut in half, an onion cut in half, and 2 limes cut in half, then cooled that off and chopped it all up (well, squeezed the limes), added some sea salt and cilantro.  I had a plate of cut up mango and avacado on the table.  Oh, and I made an apple crisp over the fire, too.  We ate ourselves silly it was so good.  And nothing tastes better than food you cook and eat outside, right?  The littlest one fell asleep by the fire and had to be woken up to eat (we are fighting a cold I found out late last night when my son started complaining and didn't eat his apple crisp--weird for him!). 

Today we are smoking a fresh ham that I've been brining (wet brine) for several days in the fridge.  Not sure what will go with but I know we need to use up some salad stuff and potatoes.  Actually, I think I'll go down to the woods (we have a nice campsite set up for our enjoyment) and stick some potatoes in the coals while we clean the barns.  We can have fajita leftovers over the potatoes for lunch.  MMMMM.

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 09:12 AM 01-22-2012

Tonight I'm making lettuce wraps with two choices of protein: tofu and skirt steak. Usually I serve these with noodles, carrots, cucumbers and nuoc cham sauce, but if I don't have all of the nuoc cham ingredients, then I'll make peanut sauce.

Tomorrow - taco bowls with rice, beans, lettuce, avocado (if they're ripe by then), salsa, cheese, sour cream. Usually I cook beans from dried, but I'm super busy this week, especially tomorrow, so I bought canned. Tortilla chips on the side.

I might have to also make some vegetable soup with chickpeas since there is a big container of chickpeas in the fridge I cooked up last week. And I'd like to have Thai red curry with tofu/vegetables this week, too. I have a new recipe for cucumber-pineapple salad that would go well with that:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2678

Sounds kind of weird (I don't normally like fruit mixed with savory things), but it's very refreshing with the lime.

Lisoula's Avatar Lisoula 09:44 AM 01-22-2012

Chicky2 - I agree....food cooked outside tastes the best!  I could live on grilled corn-on-the-cob  all summer long.  If we didn't have six inches of snow outside right now, I would definitely be grilling out!

I think tonight will be breakfast for dinner for those who don't like the soups I made yesterday.  I have tons of eggs, ham & sausage in the frig.

I have 2# of ground beef thawing from our cow right now....should be totally thawed by tomorrow.  Anyone have a good ground beef casserole or soup recipe they'd like to share?  I'm sick of meatloaf, tacos, meatballs, and the usual stuff I make from ground beef.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 01:36 PM 01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Sorry about the sickies, Colemom, and KQ, so sorry about the toothache!  You may have decay under the filling.  Ouch.

Last night I decided we'd have fajitas over the campfire (put a grate up on cinder blocks).  I grilled the chicken breast straight on the grate.  I did the bell peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet.  I roasted whole jalapenos, roma tomatoes cut in half, an onion cut in half, and 2 limes cut in half, then cooled that off and chopped it all up (well, squeezed the limes), added some sea salt and cilantro.  I had a plate of cut up mango and avacado on the table.  Oh, and I made an apple crisp over the fire, too.  We ate ourselves silly it was so good.  And nothing tastes better than food you cook and eat outside, right?  The littlest one fell asleep by the fire and had to be woken up to eat (we are fighting a cold I found out late last night when my son started complaining and didn't eat his apple crisp--weird for him!). 

Today we are smoking a fresh ham that I've been brining (wet brine) for several days in the fridge.  Not sure what will go with but I know we need to use up some salad stuff and potatoes.  Actually, I think I'll go down to the woods (we have a nice campsite set up for our enjoyment) and stick some potatoes in the coals while we clean the barns.  We can have fajita leftovers over the potatoes for lunch.  MMMMM.

Thanks - I'm hoping it's not too bad and will just require having the filling replaced! But dang, sounds like some good food at your house! Apple crisp on the grill - now that is genius. I still have nearly half a bushel of apples in cold storage, so I'm thinking to have husband grill next weekend now! And smoking a ham - I'm jealous. What was in your brine? And which wood are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

I have 2# of ground beef thawing from our cow right now....should be totally thawed by tomorrow.  Anyone have a good ground beef casserole or soup recipe they'd like to share?  I'm sick of meatloaf, tacos, meatballs, and the usual stuff I make from ground beef.

YES! You must try bacon and whiskey chili! It's the best thing ever (I know, I say that about everything). We're having it for dinner tonight. 

First ... 11  19  20  21 22  23  31  71  121  ... Last

Up