Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

#661 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds good, thanks.  I could even make it w/out the noodles (make them separately for the one who is grain free).

I'm so in the mood for teas and soups.  It is chilly here today (weird since it's near the end of Jan. and it *should* be chilly but really hasn't been). 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#662 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Husband has planned out dinner for tonight and tomorrow night! He's chosen to make a couple of dishes from the Scandinavian cookbook Kitchen of Light. It's one of our favorites. It's so nice to get some different thing into rotation with him taking the lead on some of the meals - I just have this repertoire of dishes in my head, which is great because we love them and I can just go on auto in the kitchen and do them, but that can get boring sometimes. 

Anyhow, tonight he's doing a dilled roasted chicken with leek and potatoes. I'm pretty excited about it since I can't remember the last time I had a properly done oven roasted chicken - I usually "cheat" and do the crockpot version. Which is good, but lacking the lovely crispy skin. 

Tomorrow night he's planning to do a ginger and garlic roast beef. And he has informed me that he's hoping I will make some rye bread to go with it! So I suppose I should lay the prep out for that tonight so I can just mix it up real quick in the morning. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#663 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM

thanks again for the inspiration and encouragement. I am doing much better with meal planning and ideas due to this thread. My food budget is really little but I am trying new things and making full dinners instead of a graze type. 

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#664 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM

I am exhausted! We had a 2 hour IEP meeting for my ds today and my brain is so tired, but happy with the outcome thumb.gif So, something quick and easy

cheeseburgers with grilled onions, avocado and tomato on sourdough

oven fries 

mixed green salad

carrots, celery and pears for kids

#665 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM

I still need to do a proper menu plan for this week. I'm going to try to use the stuff that's in our pantry and freezer and stick to the fruits and vegetables we got today.

Dh made pancakes for the kids tonight and I had leftover risotto.  Tomorrow I'm making taco bowls.  Beans, meat, cheese, sour cream, olives, lettuce, salsa, and so forth in a bowl eaten with baked corn chips.  I've already put the pinto beans on to soak so I can make refried beans tomorrow.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#666 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Pouch Pizzas and Caesar Salad

joy.giflurk.gif

#667 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post

Pouch Pizzas and Caesar Salad

Like a calzone?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#668 of 3250 Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Like a calzone?

Kind of. I make them in a muffin tin with bread dough, meatballs, sauce, and cheese. Here is the recipe for the Pouch Pizzas: Preheat oven to 375. Coat muffin tin cups with cooking spray. You will need bread dough, so you can make your own, or you can use the frozen kind. Once the dough has risen, roll it out to 1/4 in. Cut out 4-6 in squares of dough (make sure they will fit in your muffin tin). Next you need meatballs, so same thing, you can make your own or use frozen (I use frozen turkey meatballs). Place 2 meatballs on top of each square of dough, then place dough in to muffin cups (the meatballs will help weigh it down), let the excess dough hang over the sides. It helps to assemble them in a checkerboard fashion so the dough doesn't all stick together. Top each meatball with 1T of pizza/pasta sauce (whatever your family likes best, homemade or jarred), then 1T of shredded mozzarella, then 1t of Parmesan. Gather excess dough together at top, into a pouch, and pinch together to seal in the filling. Combine 1 egg and 1t milk into a wash, and brush on top of each pouch. Then top with 1t of Parmesan. Bake about 25 min. If you have a smaller muffin tin you may only be able to fit 1 meatball in each pouch. I hope you guys like it!

joy.giflurk.gif

#669 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post

Kind of. I make them in a muffin tin with bread dough, meatballs, sauce, and cheese. Here is the recipe for the Pouch Pizzas: Preheat oven to 375. Coat muffin tin cups with cooking spray. You will need bread dough, so you can make your own, or you can use the frozen kind. Once the dough has risen, roll it out to 1/4 in. Cut out 4-6 in squares of dough (make sure they will fit in your muffin tin). Next you need meatballs, so same thing, you can make your own or use frozen (I use frozen turkey meatballs). Place 2 meatballs on top of each square of dough, then place dough in to muffin cups (the meatballs will help weigh it down), let the excess dough hang over the sides. It helps to assemble them in a checkerboard fashion so the dough doesn't all stick together. Top each meatball with 1T of pizza/pasta sauce (whatever your family likes best, homemade or jarred), then 1T of shredded mozzarella, then 1t of Parmesan. Gather excess dough together at top, into a pouch, and pinch together to seal in the filling. Combine 1 egg and 1t milk into a wash, and brush on top of each pouch. Then top with 1t of Parmesan. Bake about 25 min. If you have a smaller muffin tin you may only be able to fit 1 meatball in each pouch. I hope you guys like it!

Sounds neat - I like that it uses meatballs. 

#670 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 AM

My kids love meat balls!  I will try this!

#671 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM

My kids and hubby will love those pizza pouches, too. 

Not sure what tonight will bring, but last night's pizza was awesome.  I ended up making a regular batch of pizza dough, and made 3 pizzas--one grain free and the other 2 regular.  One had red grapes, swiss chard, and caramelized onions, and the other 2 had green bell peppers, onions, sausage (thinly sliced li'l smokies, fried in a pan first to make crispy), thinly sliced home-smoked ham, and swiss chard and black olives.  We ended up having a neighbor come and ask my dh to pull her dh's truck outta the muck he slid into after it rained, so I got distracted and didn't make as many kinds of pizza as I had intended. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#672 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM

My Little Chefs are making Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Rice Bake. They made a Smores recipe in the oven yesterday. We began this experiment at the beginning of the year in our home. Its amazing my little chefs are eating so much better because they are the ones cooking! Come check it out. fivelittlechefs

#673 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It's decided!  Kitchen we're switching husbands!  You will get nothing but fried chicken and potatos and onions from him!thumb.gif

#674 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

It's decided!  Kitchen we're switching husbands!  You will get nothing but fried chicken and potatos and onions from him!thumb.gif

Ha no way! I know a keeper when I've got one! :-)

#675 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

This is funny. My husband offered to fry chicken for dinner tomorrow! He says we could use the side-burner on the grill and not stink up the house. I think I'll make something with the leftover pintos instead, maybe just a batch of Spanich rice to serve them atop.

Tonight ended up being a really busy day taking my mom to the dr (unexpected) so I got none of the housework done I had planned. I distracted my husband from the dirty house by making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn (frozen this summer from a friend's garden). It was good comfort food on this tired, rainy day. DH was happy as soon as he walked in the door and smelled it cooking.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#676 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We had thrown together tuna casserole.  Not a casserole fan but DD2 LOVES tuna casserole.  So she was pleased.

#677 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 PM

turkey kielbasa (again!)

mashed potatoes for adults

buttered wheat penne with parm cheese for kids

broccoli and brussels sprouts

#678 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Took ds to chinese.... now he has also eaten for "snacks" turkey bacon, cherries, and now beef broth with crackers( his idea)

#679 of 3250 Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Just having pancakes tonight. Everyone is feeling a bit under the weather.

joy.giflurk.gif

#680 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Tonight we are having made-up pork stew out of leftover pulled pork, with carrots, onion, mushrooms and celery. I have no idea how it's going to come out redface.gif We are eating mashed potatoes with ti though so I suppose if it is inedible we will fill up on those! 

#681 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM

I ended up being cranky and tired last night and not liking the kielbasa I was going to use (too much black pepper), so we had sandwiches instead. Tonight uses part of what we were supposed to eat last night.

salisbury steak (ground beef/turkey mix)

mashed potatoes

buttered wheat penne with parm cheese for kids

brussels sprouts and brocooli

#682 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Black bean/carrot/mushroom/onion veggie burgers with "milkshakes".

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#683 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Friday night, so I'm cooking tonight. I'm making pasta bolognese! Love that stuff, and it's cold and wintery here so it's the perfect night for comfort food. 

#684 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Going out so the kids are having pizza with the babysitter.

Any grand ideas to use with ground turkey that's not Italian. I've already thought of swedish meatballs. What else?

Mama505 likes this.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#685 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Going out so the kids are having pizza with the babysitter.

Any grand ideas to use with ground turkey that's not Italian. I've already thought of swedish meatballs. What else?

Going out!? Jealous. :-)

How about a turkey pie? Like chicken pot pie, but with ground turkey? I've done it with ground pork before and it's fairly tasty. Or turkey meatloaf - mix it with a little ground pork so it doesn't dry out terribly?

#686 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM

I often use taco seasoned ground turkey mixed with refried beans and cheese as an enchilada filler. With the sauce and the spices, the flavor does not stand out.

Also, I always make my meatloaf with 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 either pork sausage or mild italian chicken sausage. I add a little pasta sauce to the mix and cook it in the CP topped with more sauce. It doesn't dry out and my kids love it, I can even add chopped spinach to the mix and they don't care. You could use something else instead of pasta sauce if you wanted a different flavor.

#687 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 PM

One of my favorite no-brainer meals is baked potatoes with (usually leftover in the freezer) vegetarian chili.  We usually steam broccoli for a side and use some good unsweetened plain yogurt for sides, along with some nacho chips and salsa if we have it.

I always make double veggie chili so it's on hand if I want baked potato night.  We also usually add some cheddar.

Not very imaginative, but pretty economical, reliable, and easy.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#688 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

One of my favorite no-brainer meals is baked potatoes with (usually leftover in the freezer) vegetarian chili.  We usually steam broccoli for a side and use some good unsweetened plain yogurt for sides, along with some nacho chips and salsa if we have it.

I always make double veggie chili so it's on hand if I want baked potato night.  We also usually add some cheddar.

Not very imaginative, but pretty economical, reliable, and easy.

Not very imaginative? I beg to differ! I never think of doing anything but butter and maybe chives on our baked potatoes. Boring! Next time I have chili leftovers, I'm doing this with crockpot baked potatoes. I kind of wish I had some now...

#689 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM

You can bake potatoes in a crock pot? Oh, Kitchensqueen, you are my muse evermore...

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#690 of 3250 Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM

Turkey sloppy joes, Cooks Illustrated has a great recipe that I loosely follow.  Serve with whatever root veggie or squash is left in the root cellar (beets and sweet potatoes are especially delicious), and a salad... mmmmm!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page