Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 31 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

#901 of 3285 Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MMmmm, fish tacos.....  I love 'em.

Last night I ended up making a HUGE pan (full chafing pan is my typical casserole pan) of lazy cabbage rolls using 6 lbs of gd meat, and 2 huge heads of cabbage.  It was so, so good.  Comfort food for sure.  I'm eating some now.  Have some in the freezer already, too.  I may make something to go with tonight and just do leftovers.  We also had baked butternut squash and apples. 

I'm going to thaw more gd meat and make a big meatloaf either today or tomorrow for sandwiches. 

BTW, the kelp noodles were very interesting.  5 out of 6 of us liked them.  When I took them out of the package I thought for sure they'd be all chewy in texture.  They look like glass noodles.  Anyway, they are crunchy!  Total shocker, lol.  Very good, though, since they don't taste like much, they can be used in tons of ways. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#902 of 3285 Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Tonight is grilled hamburgers, veggies and dip, and peaches.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#903 of 3285 Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

We forgot to put beans to soak last night, so we had a broccoli stirfry over rice instead. Just as well, since we had some broccoli that we need to use before we go away for half the weekend. 

fragolina likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#904 of 3285 Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Perloo here tonight - it smells so good on the stove right now!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#905 of 3285 Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM

We ended up just grilling out last night since it was warm (65 in March in Ohio!) and had grapes, corn, and some mixed veggies on the side.

Tonight was just leftovers...nothing special.  Ham & bean soup is in the crockpot for tomorrow, and I'll cook the stew tomorrow too, since I'm off and it takes all day.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#906 of 3285 Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM

I made a huge bowl of salad today, and I`m going to eat it through out the weekend. orngbiggrin.gif Chicken, lettuce, ww pasta, cucumber, sugar snaps, bell peppers etc. and a really yummy dressing made of mayo, the juice of a lime, curry powder and sweet mustard. My favorite dressing. biggrinbounce.gif

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#907 of 3285 Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

It's 10:30 pm and we're finally having dinner - cheeseless pizza from the place across the street. And a soda, even though it is way to late for caffeine. It's been a long day. 

#908 of 3285 Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM

The flu hit our house this week, it's been making the rounds in our community lately and it's a nasty one. I spent 4 days in bed, barely able to walk and the last 2 days I was able to get up and function for about half the day. Dh has it to a lesser degree, as do the kids. Thank goodness my 2 year old seems to be fighting it off easily.

I'm making dinner for the first time since Monday, I'm so looking forward to normal food instead of take out or frozen food. I actually managed to get to the store today and start dinner.

roast

garlic mashed potatoes 

gravy

roasted asparagus

strawberries

#909 of 3285 Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM

We had a cookout tonight - burgers & dogs, with macaroni salad, potato salad, baked beans, and chips/dip.  It wasn't exactly healthy, but it was beautiful outside so we took advantage of it!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#910 of 3285 Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Last night was marinated portabella mushrooms with a quinoa, kale and cherry tomato pilaf..which was delicious!

Tonight is randomness, using stuff out of the fridge: brown rice, tofu scramble with tomatoes and parsley, fried zuccini and steamed asparagus.

We are trying to be healthy and shed a few pounds for Spring.  So far so good!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#911 of 3285 Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

We were tempted to grill tonight since the day was so beautiful, but we ended up skipping it since it cooled considerably by the time we were hungry. So I did chicken and potatoes braised in white wine instead. Love one pot meals!

#912 of 3285 Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Pizzas and salad

joy.giflurk.gif

#913 of 3285 Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Have those 4 extra kiddos this week again.  Last night was smoked chicken thighs, wild rice pilaf, roasted asparagus, coleslaw, carrot sticks, and orange slices.

Tonight will be pulled wild pork sandwiches,  salad, and probably more orange slices.

I actually have a plan this week.  I wrote down a bunch of things to make, and that I have the stuff for, and that are relatively easy, considering, lol.  Snack stuffs, and supper ideas:

Tacos

spaghetti and salad

carrot raisin salad

blueberry pancakes

deviled eggs

white beans 'n greens (turnip) and cornbread

Thai stir fry

pizzas

And I have a huge bag of snickerdoodles in the freezer left over from a party.  I think I know how long it will take 7 kids to go thru those!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#914 of 3285 Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Cincinnati chili here tonight! Very excited - I've got a craving for it. And husband's cooking it up now to boot. I'm going to try my hardest to make up some apple hand pies and chocolate hand pies tonight too; hope I get a chance. 

#915 of 3285 Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Leftover pasta for tonight..

Tomorrow I have some thin round steaks defrosting, putting some rice-a-roni on the side and broccoli.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#916 of 3285 Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Salad nicoise for me, Annie's organic spinach pizza for DS, turkey sausage and green beans for DD - Can you tell DH was gone?  lol

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#917 of 3285 Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

i had to call the parents of the 4 kids and they gone.  We are sick, sick, sick.  I don't even care if anyone eats or not.  DH can handle it when he gets home.  I suspect we'll eat leftovers, of which there are lots.

#918 of 3285 Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I did kind of a pork pasty tonight - ground pork, sauteed onion, carrot and garlic along with diced potatoes. Seasoned with some red wine, thyme, salt and pepper. I used my small pie press to make hand them as hand pies. I love that thing. I though they were a little bland though - next time I'll add some Worcestershire to the sauce and I need to do something for the pastry - it tasted plain. I may throw in a dash of red wine vinegar next time - though I've never tried that in pastry dough before. 

#919 of 3285 Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Lets see how far back I need to go, lol

Last Wednesday was fishsticks and fries after church
Thursday was chicken enchiladas
Friday I got take out for my mom and ds, I had to go work with a partner from my speech class on a speech
Saturday afternoon I made eggrolls for the first time - good, but kinds bland- id love some tried and true tips or recipes . Saturday night it was 15 bean soup and cornbread
Sunday was porkchops and rice
Yesterday was leftovers beans
And today my mom made super yummy chicken strips- they had fries with theirs, and ds had carrot sticks, I cut mine up and put them in a salad

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#920 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 AM

This week, once we've plowed through the leftovers I haven't donated to other loving homes, we'll be having chicken fajitas with refried beans (YUM! from scratch YUM!), spaghetti and meatballs and I got some fish burgers for Friday.  Saturday... do I need to spell out Saturday?!?!?!  This house will be eating corned beef, cabbage, probably colchannon because I have the greens in spades, I imagine I'll make a soda bread... NOT the kind with fruit in it thankyouverymuch, and on Sunday I'll make those little oatmeal pancakes and we'll eat those with hash.  This year is a little sad for us as my family back East has had a very, very, very bad spring - so bad they cancelled St. Patrick's day celebrations.  But you can't miss the meal!  It'd be like missing turkey on Thanksgiving!

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#921 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Really trying to trim up our grocery budget while we work diligently at paying off CC's!!!

Sun I made a big turkey stuffed with sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy & broccoli salad.  I bought it before Thanksgiving for $10 and it will be feeding us for the week!

Mon Cobb salad with leftover turkey

Tue pulled BBQ turkey on whole wheat buns, salad

Wed Turkey-veggie bolonese over linguine, salad

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#922 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Today is Pi day. I am making chicken pot pie, shepard's pie and have also prepared a plethora of pudding and fruit pies for our Pi party tonight. This is the one time a year my kids get to eat dessert for dinner.
#923 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM

We ate leftovers last night, as predicted.  Feeling somewhat better today, but may not cook.  We still have leftovers.

KQ, I use apple cider vinegar (or even white) in my pie crust.  I wouldn't make it w/out it.

2 1/2 cups ap flour

1 cup butter or shortening

1 tsp sea salt

Mix til it's crumbly

Add in one egg, beaten, 1 Tbsp of vinegar, and a Tbsp or 2 of ice water, depending on size of egg and humidity.  Add a bit of sugar if you are using it for a sweet pie. 

Very easy crust to work with!

#924 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Turkey meatloaf, roasted cauliflower and spanish rice

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#925 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Tonight we're going to grill because it's in the upper 70s! I wish I didn't have to work all afternoon - but hopefully it stays warm for an hour or so after I get off so we can go outside. We're grilling Italian sausages and potatoes with garlic. Perfect, simple food. 

#926 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf and Asparagus with Herb Butter

joy.giflurk.gif

#927 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Caesar Salad with chicken, yum yum!

#928 of 3285 Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM

Tonight we had pork tenderloin, rice, and peas

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#929 of 3285 Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Well, I'm waiting for one ingredient to come in so I can make Tom Kha soup, and since I've never had it (just sounded good from the ingredient list!), I decided last night was the night to run "tests" on it so dh picked up Tom Kha, Tom Yum, and Wonton soups, along w/2 orders of Pad Thai from our Thai restaurant.  I am so excited to make Tom Kha because it is so, so good.  I just love all the lime.  Waiting on my galangal and then I can make it!  Kaffir lime leaves are already in the freezer.

Tonight we'll have tacos.  Easy peasy tacos.  I'm still pretty tired, and am not wanting to get too caught up in anything for the next few days.  We're waiting on our first goat kids of the year (new doe, so unfamiliar w/her patterns, but she is proven and gives LOTS of milk).  Also new duckling should start hatching in 2 days!  I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!

#930 of 3285 Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Last night DH ended up picking something up on the way home irked.gif.. I just couldn't get anything done with the way the kids were behaving..

Tonights another night. Im feeling up steaks (these have to be cooked up or they will end up going bad) and mashed potato action going on here! orngbiggrin.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page