Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#752 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post

Grilling honey lime chili marinated chicken for dinner, with some roasted or grilled veggies tonight
Tomorrow we may do some chili.... Pretty sure I have all the ingredients I need for it, just need to thaw the meAt and boil some beans. I usually do it in the crockpot but I am boycotting it untill I can replace it with a lead free one.
This week I am going to start on my postpartum cooking.... Beef stock, chicken curry soup, beef minestrone soup, harvest vegetable and chicken soup and maybe potato leek soup. I'll freeze half or more of everything.
Doula mama to my nursing toddler Noah and June baby otw
What's in your marinade? Thanks!

#755 ·
I decided to do the sloppy joes. Made oven fries and baked beans on the side. Tomorrow night husband is cooking his lemon and dill roasted chicken again - it was so good last time we decided it would be perfect for Sunday dinner. Not sure what he's going to do on the side with it, maybe some roasted cauliflower. We're starting to get in on a cauliflower kick.

#756 ·
Pupusas, curtido and salsa roja!

I can't make pupusas half as good as they do in El Salvador, but I still love them! There are no Salvadoran restaurants near us, so we have to make do! I tried a place in about 40 mins away in Tampa that did Mexican/Salvadoran and I didn't like it. I can make better pupusas (and I'm American).

#759 ·
We were housebound for 2 days with this awful stomach virus that's moving though the schools, ick. We're mostly feeling better, so filling up the family with good foods today.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, chicken breakfast sausage, sourdough toast and strawberries (this crazy sunny winter in CA has brought on halfway decent strawberries already and the kids are stoked).

Dinner: CP thai red curry with shrimp, potatoes, onion, carrots, zucchini and red pepper, peanut noodles with tofu and sauteed spinach, brown rice (I know we just had this recently, but I feel like something spicy to finish off these tummy icks)

Kids will have salmon, brown rice with butter and parm, and broccoli (ds won't eat Thai)

#763 ·
Leftover honey lime chicken with spinach (fresh baby spinach sautéed) and corn. DH is at the store buying French onion dip, tomatoes and lime and chips for some snacks in honor of the super bowl, which we are not watching. Lol!

I had a bowl of homemade French onion soup for a late lunch, YUM! It was at 4:30, so almost an early dinner. I was amazed at how simple a recipe it was, and cheap too.... Enough for 8, cost was about 4$. My typical recipe is way more, so it was a good deal!

Doula mama to my nursing toddler Noah

#764 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Okay, jmarroq...school us! I know salsa roja, but what's the rest?
Hard to explain. I'll do my best coming from an American point of view. I've been to ES three times and have eaten at several Salvadoran restaurants, here and in ES. A pupusa is like a thick stuffed corn tortilla, but it's kind of soft and chewy when it's cooked, and a little crunchy on the outside. I suppose in ES they use masa (corn meal flour) made from scratch, but I just buy the stuff at the grocery store like Maseca and make the dough by hand and stuff it with beans (refried) and cheese (any good latin melting cheese or shredded mozzarella). In ES they like the refried black beans, so I use those. People also stuff them with pork (chicharones) but it's a bit of a process to make because they make it into a sort of paste....some people just use bacon instead and mix it with tomato sauce to make a faux chicharon filling...I just skip the pork all together. My favorite ingredient is the loroco. It can be hard to find, but a Mexican market near me sells a huge jar of it made by Goya. I special ordered it frozen once and it takes a long time to cook and soften up. It's like an herb or veggie or something and it is delicious. I just chop it up and mix it with the cheese before I stuff it. I made the salsa roja from scratch one time, but can't find the recipe I used. It had chicken broth in it and it was delicious. Now I just buy Rotel brand red tomato sauce, mild (still has some chilis in it, but not spicy). In ES they don't really use a spicy red sauce with pupusas...it's pretty mild. You basically put a little red sauce on top of a finished pupusa and a spoonful of curtido. Curtido is like a salad. I have had a salad that was similar at a Puerto Rican restaurant. Cabbage, onions and vinegar are the main ingredients in that one. Curtido also has some carrots and oregano...and salt of course. I heard they use pineapple vinegar for curtido in ES, but that is hard to find in the states. You pretty much have to make it yourself, so I just use apple cider vinegar instead. To me, the flavors all blend together so well, you can't skip any of it! Pupusas really are a treat if you can find them. Not everyone knows how to do them right, so don't give up on your first try. If the pupusa is decent but the sauce and curtido are off, it isn't very good. Ask around....I found a friend of a friend who made them and I paid for some one day...they weren't as good as a restaurant I went to in S. Fl. I know DC has a huge Salvadoran population and near Alexandria there is a neighborhood full of pupusarias. LA probably has good ones, and I heard there is a decent one near Vegas. They have those food truck awards every year in NY, and the most recent winner was a pupusa truck!! I think it is usually parked in Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx.

#773 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama505 View Post

There's a new pupusa place in Santa Fe (that makes 3 now!) but I haven't tried it yet. Also have never tried to make them myself. Did you start with a recipe, or just wing it?

Tonight: An amalgam of leftovers.
I used recipes I found on line and youtube. Lots of trial and error! I also bought one of those electric skillet things and turn it up all the way to the hottest setting. It's great for pancakes too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.