Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 33 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 92Likes

#961 of 3355 Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Mom31, that sucks. 

Tonight we're doing ham with pineapple and biscuits and sweet corn.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#962 of 3355 Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

frozen pizza, grapes, and goldfish crackers- I vow to make actual meals next week!

Good news tho- I got a new job- and it is from home- I am a sales rep and event coordinator for a fundraising company- a friend from college hooked me up with it- I am estatic!  So far so good- and i am trying to stay really focused on it!!!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#963 of 3355 Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM

We went to a family birthday party this afternoon and got home late. I made the kids a quick dinner of grilled cheese, apples, carrots and celery. They needed something simple after all that cake. 

I'm finishing up some chicken stock and making a big pot of posole tonight. Dh and I can eat it if we're hungry and it's nice to have the soup leftovers for lunch during the week.

#964 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Sat. night we smoked 3 cornish hens dh butchered (first chickens to try out of our meat chickens we have growing), and a small wild pig ham quarter.  We had a huge green salad with it, and I made a pear crisp w/oats and almond flour.

We had guests yesterday that we have not seen in quite awhile.  We had the leftover chicken in chicken fajita quesadillas w/guac and sour cream and salsa passed.  We had salad with it.

Tonight I have no idea.  I need to lots of cooking this week so I don't have much to do Thurs, Fri, and Sat. while we are working on our earthbag shelter project.

Mom31, I'm so sorry you are sad.  I wish I could do something to make you feel better.  :o(   CONGRATS on the new job, though!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#965 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Mom31- Yay for the new job!

Tonight we are having Shepards Pie made with turkey meat. Ive never used this recipe so I hope its good

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#966 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Tonight is garbanzo & veggie curry over brown rice :)

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#967 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Ham and pineapple pizza

salad

carrots, celery and pears for kids

ETA: when the ham from the freezer thawed, it was bad. So, made the kids french bread cheese pizzas and threw together a curry with tofu, red potatoes, carrots, onions, red curry paste and coconut milk and brown rice for dh and I.

#968 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM

I made blueberry muffins for the kids for snacks.  2 of the kids got home made popsicles in the freezer, and I got a huge pot of turnip/potato soup on to simmer.  I roasted a HUGE pan of garlic, and will freeze the roasted cloves.  I got a big bag of garlic from someone but half of it was rotting, so I salvaged what I could.  I put a bunch in the soup.  I will make cheese quesadillas to go with the soup, and a pear crisp.  I need to harvest asparagus, too...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#969 of 3355 Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM

I want some fresh asparagus!!!  NOW!!! :) kids went to their dads so i got out of dinner tonight- and had a salad and popcorn. lol

#970 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM

So far this week I've made tortilla soup and red sauce.  The red sauce is because husband still has leftover meatballs he's making love sweet love to, but he ran out of red sauce.  He likes to really, really DROWN his pasta, so last night we were eating leftovers and he managed to make it my idea to make more red sauce.  It went kind of like this:  me - "So what's in the fridge?  Soup...  fajita filling?  Some rice, oh, meatballs... but no red sauce.  I guess I should make some mo <interrupted>..."  him - "More red sauce wouldn't suck!" and so off the make the red sauce I went.

Tonight, I roast a chicken, and whatever vegetables I find waiting to be roasted in my crisper.  I may blanch the green beans I know are in there, I don't think they'll take to being roasted.

Tomorrow, chili and buttermilk cornbread because I have a pint of buttermilk to use up.  Yum, yum, yum yum yum.

Thursday, more leftovers.  Friday, I have these neato fish sandwich patties that we're going to eat with some sweet potato fries and whatnot.

I have half a cabbage left over too, so add coleslaw to any of the above days.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#971 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Shepards pie went over well yesterday! My girls ate two servings and asked for some leftovers for snacks. orngbiggrin.gif

Tonight we are having taco casserole and some kind of veggies. I have two very large bags of fresh veggies in the fridge i need to use up.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#972 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Turkey chili (I use extra lean ground, lots of spices, a bottle of beer, a container of fresh salsa and about 4 kinds of beans - tops are cheese, sour cream and an avacado I sliced - and HOT SAUCE!  :) ) - with crudites for grown-ups and kids to much :)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#973 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Mom31 just went back to catch up the last few days and I'm really sorry - you're in my thoughts...But CONGRATS on your new job!!!!!!!!!!

Chicky - did I miss your goat update? Do you have new babies?

MrsGregory, if you haven't already, please share that red sauce recipe!! 

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#974 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM

BTW, if you don't see me posting here - YELL at me by PM - I'm really trying to get accountable with my cooking nightly!  We were away over the weekend and just got back, but I should be on this daily!  (mostly because I get very good ideas ;)

#975 of 3355 Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Spanish rice with ground beef

corn tortilla quesadillas

broccoli

pears for kids

#976 of 3355 Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM

I wound up making hash and eggs for dinner last night because the chicken was still rock hard in the fridge.  I have to have to have to have to remember to get things in there like a week in advance!

But it was all good because we needed to use up the corned beef and champ, so I made the hash with that and we ate runny eggs with it.

BlueStateMama, I'll post the red sauce recipe, (I may have posted already but I don't recall and can't point you to it) but I am a little ashamed because it's not traditional, it's just easy out of cans, and like so many NY/NJ families I have about a million Italian or Sicilian uncles, cousins, in-laws - so I really should know better!  But it's easy enough and it's good enough that I keep doing it.  I've started using Pomi brand tomatoes.

1 large or 2 medium sweet or white onions

mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini - or nothing, up to you

garlic

tubed green herbs (I find them in the vegetable section, or near the pasta - I use Amore basil paste or Gourmet Garden Italian herbs blend)

1 box chopped tomatoes

1 box tomato sauce

olive oil

salt

pepper

sugar, if you want sweet sauce

Chop your onion and sautee until translucent in olive oil.  Add other vegetables, if using, as appropriate to cook them until tender-crisp.  Add whole or minced garlic (if adding whole, use a couple more cloves than you would add minced) and the green herbs to taste (I use about a quarter cup) and heat until fragrant, about a minute or less.  Quickly add the diced tomatoes only, and cook mixture until the tomatoes have turned a deeper red and are more fragrant and very well cooked.  (I lose track of time here.  It's probably about 10 minutes.  It's a while.  I stir frequently.)  Then add the tomato sauce and simmer with a lid on for as long as you can manage to leave it, minimum 30 minutes.  I suppose you'd add your sugar with your sauce, if you like your sauce sweet.  Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#977 of 3355 Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Fish sandwiches with tartar sauce, tomato and lettuce on sourdough

cole slaw thrown together with mayo, rice vinegar, sesame oil and a little sugar

carrots, celery and pears for kids

Busy nonstop day and I am ex.****.ted.

#978 of 3355 Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM

Brisket

Rice

Greens

#979 of 3355 Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM

I spent yesterday sick so DH made pizza for the kids when he got home.. I laid in bed trying not to move so I didn't throw up again..

I still feel pretty bad but Im going to aim for making spaghetti and garlic bread tonight. Simple and a family favorite orngbiggrin.gif

#980 of 3355 Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM

I'm trying out a new recipe for a Sour Cream Noodle Bake http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/sour-cream-noodle-bake/

I am using ricotta cheese and cream cheese instead of cottage cheese because I have leftover ricotta to use up and always have lots of cream cheese around. I also am using taco seasoned ground turkey instead of ground beef, I grabbed some on clearance today and think it will go well in the dish, like a mexican lasagna.

Plus broccoli and the kids will have pears.

#981 of 3355 Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Husband went out on a rare game night with friends, but left me hot wing-style chicken thighs in the crockpot and cornbread. I might mash up some potatoes to go alongside too.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#982 of 3355 Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM

So I ended up with a major migraine today (probably from the combo of being sick and allergies) so DH picked up something on the way home. I love having an understanding husband! love.gif

Tomorrow DH has duty so Ill be doing the spaghetti. He won't mind, hes kind of tired of spaghetti lol.gif

#983 of 3355 Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Last night was a one-pan skillet dinner - chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces and seasoned), asparagus, yellow pepper, onion, garlic and couscous (I used chicken stock instead of water to cook the cous cous in the same pan) - YUMMY!!

#984 of 3355 Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 AM

Tonight I'm thinking about "faux" chicken parm (brown seasoned thin sliced breasts, cover w/ marinara and simmer a bit, serve over spelt pasta and melt a bit of Italian cheese over it before serving) - that with a green salad

#985 of 3355 Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 AM

Oki - glad your husband helped you out!  Migraines are the WORST!!

#986 of 3355 Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks mamas I am doing ok. He is away now to have a meeting with head of the university... I am down but holding my head up

#987 of 3355 Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Last night we had broiled pork chops and orzo. Tonight we're doing cod - we'll likely poach it in a little white wine with tapenade and scallions and maybe sun dried tomatoes. Not sure what we'll have on the side - maybe some roasted potatoes. 

#988 of 3355 Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Exciting, this is my first time posting here! Tonight is vegetarian chill over french fries, corn on the cob, and corn bread muffins. Yummm. The first trimester aversion to *everything* is finally starting to wear off, yesss.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#989 of 3355 Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM

I'm making Tom Kha Gai (thai coconut soup), I even went to a specialty store to get fresh lemongrass for it. I'm making it with some chicken and tofu and will also add mushrooms, fresh asparagus I need to use and some rice sticks. Probably some veggie spring rolls, too. I have a scratchy throat and a stuffy head and hoping this makes me feel better.

I'll make the kids chicken tenders, sweet potato fries, broccoli and pears.

I need to work on my menu plan for the week.

#990 of 3355 Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM

Welcome Orange Moon!  This thread has helped me a lot your dinner sounds delish!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page