Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 35 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

#1021 of 3525 Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BlueStateMama, I hope you feel better.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1022 of 3525 Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 AM

Mom31- Ive made and frozen chicken soup.. I just made the noodles a bit uncooked so when it rewarmed they didn't get mushy.. It worked really well and my kids LOVED having "mommy soup" in the freezer when they wanted a "soup hug".. lol.gif

Chicky2- Your goats are adorable! I wish I lived where we could have livestock greensad.gif Id probably get myself in trouble though winky.gif

BlueStateMama- I hope you fell better soon!

Tonight we have having some Chinese food eat.gif brought home by my lovely hubby. I think hes tired of me saying that Chinese food sounded good orngbiggrin.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1023 of 3525 Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM

I think a chicken corn soup is an easy, good place to start with making your own chicken soup. Here's a good starter recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-pennsylvania-dutch-chicken-corn-soup/  You could easily just use the one chicken (I usually just use homemade chicken stock and add chicken) and I also like to add carrots and usually use egg noodles instead of making rivels. I have no idea about freezing noodles, maybe undercook them a bit like suggested. I do know to never put leftover noodle soup down the garbage disposal! Pasty mess!

Last night we had sauteed kielbasa, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and broccoli.

Tonight

Kids: chicken, brown rice with parmesan cheese, carrots, apples

Adults: thai red curry with tofu, carrots, potatoes, zucchini and red pepper, samosas (frozen from TJ's), brown rice

#1024 of 3525 Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Hubby just e-mailed me and told me he won't be home until late so instead of Chinese Im making sloppy joes, fries and mixed veggies.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1025 of 3525 Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks mamas- got another blow about the guy- he is already seeing a woman from his company down there- they prob were seeing each other while we were together if not just talking- it is very upsetting to be left for another woman.  Very sad.  She posted pics of them and his daughter on facebook. Broke my heart.

so... back to pizza and hot dogs for us I see.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#1026 of 3525 Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Oh no, Mom31, that stinks!  I'm sorry.  hug2.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#1027 of 3525 Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 AM

I made coconut beef stew with butternut squash and fresh string beans. Was freaking amazing joy.gif

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#1028 of 3525 Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM

I ended up not making the curry last night, just too tired and didn't want to mess up my clean kitchen. Dh picked up Chinese: schezuan eggplant and curry shrimp. Dd and I just finished the leftovers for lunch.

I'm totally looking forward to dinner tonight: 

salmon on the grill (foil with butter, white wine, garlic and chives)

wilted spinach

fingerling potatoes and brussels sprouts on the grill (foil with chives and seasonings)

quinoa salad with apples, celery, raisins and lemon vinaigrette (new recipe I'm trying)

I'm on a quest to change our eating habits, I'm stuck in a serious food rut. Less meat and more fish and other vegetable and grain proteins.

#1029 of 3525 Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM

Lets see... Wednesday and Thursday we had this cheesy veggie chicken cassarole with biscuits on top... Friday is movie and easy (aka usually junk, lol) food - we had Tv dinners... today was my cousins 3rd birthday party- we had burgers and hotdogs and stuff... tomorrow, the plan is roast beef and veggies and biscuits

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#1030 of 3525 Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Simple tomato meat sauce with lots of herbs and fresh garlic. I served mine on a plate filled with spinach and arugula and everyone else had it with pasta with some salad on the side.

Tomorrow will likely be leftovers from the weekend, Tuesday soup, fresh bread and salad, Wednesday dahl, butter chicken and chana masala with rice.

#1031 of 3525 Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Mostly left-overs!

Mashed potatoes & oxtail stew (Saturday supper)

Lasagne (Sunday supper)

Chick pea and cabbage curry (Saturday lunch)

Will cook - fried rice (from last weekend's rice)

- greens

#1032 of 3525 Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM

We ended up eating leftovers on Saturday and Sunday we had tacos. Today its meatloaf and rice with some veggies on the side.

#1033 of 3525 Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Friday night we had a crustless quiche thingy w/tons of swiss chard (friend brought by a huge bunch!), lots of feta, and red onion.  I added bacon and ham and it was SO good.

Sat. night we had tacos with leftover brisket. Yum!

Sun. night we had jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon and a huge salad.

Tonight is split pea soup w/Easter ham bone.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#1034 of 3525 Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Last night I made this pork butt recipe I browned it then slow cooked in in the oven instead of the crock pot!  We used the pork to top our salads, with cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa & tortilla chips!  The flavor of the pork was amazing!!!  Trying to figure out what to do with some left overs tonight!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#1035 of 3525 Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Fish tacos with breaded tilapia, black beans, lightly fried corn tortillas and chopped lettuce, tomato and avocado. 

Kids also had pears, carrots, celery and cucumbers.

#1036 of 3525 Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I feel like I haven't been on here in forever... husband's been doing a lot of cooking lately since work has been a nightmare for me and I come home exhausted. Recent meals - grilled steaks with balsamic marinated mushrooms, breaded pork chops with mashed potatoes, crock pot pulled pork with jalapeno corn bread, crock pot roasted chicken with veggies... I'm forgetting a lot probably. We ordered cheese-less pizza one night last week. 

This weekend husband if off at a gamer convention, so I'm eating things that I love dearly but he's not overly wild about - last night I made bolognese for dinner (prepped everything before he left yesterday afternoon or that would have been well nigh impossible to put together solo). I had some for lunch today and have a few more meals of that in the fridge - I can probably actually freeze a few portions too; it made a lot. And for tonight's dinner I've got lentil soup in the crockpot. Those are probably the two main things I'll for lunch and dinner this weekend - while husband likes the bolognese, he hates the lentil soup so I'll enjoy eating as much of it as I can hold while it's just me. And I don't mind eating the same things over and over for a few days every once in a while anyway. 

I need to think of what I want to bake up for breakfast - I'm getting bored of coffee cake, but I have a cinnamon roll cake pinned on Pinterest, so maybe I can whip that up for tomorrow's breakfast after I put the baby to bed tonight. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1037 of 3525 Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM

I can't remember which exact days we had each of these, but in the last few days:

CP bbq chicken, rice pilaf, broccoli

Salmon curry with sweet potatoes, onion and broccoli, quinoa (this came out soooo good)

Rigatoni with zucchini, mushrooms and meatless meatballs

Last night: salmon burgers, steamed artichokes, sweet potato fries, carrots, cucumbers and pears for kids

So looking forward to dinner tonight! 

Shrimp and veggie (red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, broccoli) kebabs on the grill

penne pasta salad with grape tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, feta cheese and a simple balsamic vinaigrette

crusty italian bread

#1038 of 3525 Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Colemom- I want to come to your house for dinner!  We are having little caesars- I have an old friend who is now my new boyfriend and he is eating dinner with us every night- and it is very nice to have that family feel around my house- I have not ever had a family- I was married till my son was almost 4 but we rarely behaved like one- this is very nice. today we went to dd's soccer game- and are doing laundry together etc- I just sent him out to get some pizzas- I don't feel like cooking tonight.  tomorrow we are going to grill steaks and portabella mushrooms.

#1039 of 3525 Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Tonight:

Chickpea Tagine with Carrots, Cumin and Cinnamon

Pickled Cucumber and Tomato salad

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#1040 of 3525 Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Making dinner on the grill tonight: 

dover sole (foil packet with butter, garlic and a little old bay seasoning)

sliced red potatoes and onions (foil packet with olive oil, salt and pepper)

asparagus

leftover baguette from last night's dinner

carrots, celery and pears for kids

It was another gorgeous day here. We spent hours at the bay, playing and swimming. I am sore from so much swimming and pushing ds around on our big surfboard. I am also sunburned, ouch. Ready to sit outside with a glass of wine.

#1041 of 3525 Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I made cheezed egg rolls for a snack tonight!!!  SOOOO GOOD!  ds and I love them- dd helped make them but did not like them- but more for me!!!  It was fun to cook with dd and it was fun to make my son so happy with one of his favorite treats- and mine!

A really funky cool restaurant xh and I used to go to served them and everyone loved them- and I thought these are just egg rolls with velveeta in them- lol- so I made them and have been making them for 9 years now and they are a fave of everyone who tries them.  :)

#1042 of 3525 Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM

We have so many leftovers I won't be cooking for a little while.  I have the stuff to make black bean soup, which will last us for a week.  I've already made roasted red pepper cream sauce, and we have a wealth of pasta to eat it over.  Still have leftover sausage and peppers, still eating that.  I also made a beef and brussels sprouts stir fry with asparagus and black bean sauce.  Yum.  And the split pea soup is still being noshed on regularly, although that is nearly gone since we both like it so much.

#1043 of 3525 Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

We have so many leftovers I won't be cooking for a little while.  I have the stuff to make black bean soup, which will last us for a week.  I've already made roasted red pepper cream sauce, and we have a wealth of pasta to eat it over.  Still have leftover sausage and peppers, still eating that.  I also made a beef and brussels sprouts stir fry with asparagus and black bean sauce.  Yum.  And the split pea soup is still being noshed on regularly, although that is nearly gone since we both like it so much.

Recipe for stir fry and black bean sauce, please!

Let's see....I have made a chicken soup w/butternut squash, summer squash, lots of ginger and coconut milk.  I served it over jasmine rice.

I also made another swiss chard crustless quiche/frittata thing because my mom brought swiss chard.  We ate burgers for lunch yesterday, and last night I hate to say it but we had pizza delivered again.  We had been working on our earthbag storm shelter and were whooped! 

#1044 of 3525 Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hamburgers tonight! It is the nice grass fed beef, though.

Today was warm and sunny here. Meat on bun makes it feel like summer is on its way.joy.gif
#1045 of 3525 Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Chicky2 -

grass fed sirloin (or beef of your choice)

brussels sprouts

asparagus

chili oil

sesame oil

sesame seeds

black bean sauce (jarred, your brand preference)

So, the black bean sauce I got, the instructions are... not in English.  So I just did what seemed right, and decided to refrigerate it after opening.  No idea if this was correct or not. 

I slice the beef thin, and prepare the sprouts by cutting the root end off, removing the outer leaves and cutting them into halves or quarters as needed to make them all roughly the same size.  I trim the asparagus of the woody portion and cut the rest into 3 inch pieces.

I heat chili oil in my wok or sautee pan until it's screaming hot, then I add the spouts.  I brown them until they are nice and brown (haha!) stirring very frequently.  Then I add the beef and asparagus at the same time, and stir, and then add black bean sauce to taste, and stir frequently until the beef is done, which is only about 5 minutes.  I sprinkle on the sesame seeds and stir one last time with the heat on, then I turn the heat off and added a dribble of sesame oil, then served.  I've also added the sesame oil straight to the bowl after serving.  I served this with rice noodles to my husband, but me, I ate it without anything accompanying and was very happy.

#1046 of 3525 Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM

So far this week:

Mon: breaded tilapia sandwiches on sourdough, oven fries, steamed artichokes, carrots, celery and pears for kids

Tues: Thai red curry with shrimp, sweet potatoes and broccoli, peanut noodles with tofu and spinach, quinoa, kids had breakfast for dinner

Last night: CP beef roast, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, strawberries for kids (this is the first beef we've had in over a month, dh was thrilled)

Tonight: Shrimp tacos

shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic

refried black beans

lightly fried corn tortillas

chopped avocado, tomato and lettuce

carrots and tangelos for kids

#1047 of 3525 Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM

This week:

Friday - fish tacos

Monday - pork roast w/ spanish rice and veggies

Wednesday - roasted chicken with mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and veggies

Don't tell hubs but I will be making him a chocolate cake at some point in there.  He's hinted several times now.  It goes like this:  "I sure do like chocolate cake." and is followed by him looking directly at me to see if I was listening.  On the weekend I'll make myself crepes with fruit filling.

#1048 of 3525 Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Last night I did greek pork chops , spanish rice, and asaparagus and mushroom pasta( again- I can't get enough of it and asparagus is in season)

and garlic bread-

I don't eat meat but I guess the greek pork chops are great-

Pork chops

olive oil cavendars greek seasoning, orgegano or basil( I just used italian seasoning that I had) and grill or cook them in the pan- then at the end drizzle them with a little bit of lemon juice.  I guess this is very good and it is very easy and pretty cheap- I got like 7 large pork chops for 8$. is that a good price? 

Tonight kids go to their dads so it's leftovers- I should be able to eat the pasta all weekend and friend can eat the rest of the pork chops.

I am enjoying cooking more now that I have a man coming for dinner... he is an old friend that started coming around after the break up and its really nice- I have never had a man to cook for before- since my ex and I split- 5 years ago- so it's nice.:)

#1049 of 3525 Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 AM

We had fish tacos, too. Mmm. Damn, I love me some fish tacos! lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

This week:

Friday - fish tacos

Monday - pork roast w/ spanish rice and veggies

Wednesday - roasted chicken with mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and veggies

Don't tell hubs but I will be making him a chocolate cake at some point in there.  He's hinted several times now.  It goes like this:  "I sure do like chocolate cake." and is followed by him looking directly at me to see if I was listening.  On the weekend I'll make myself crepes with fruit filling.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#1050 of 3525 Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Making dinner on the grill tonight: 

dover sole (foil packet with butter, garlic and a little old bay seasoning)

sliced red potatoes and onions (foil packet with olive oil, salt and pepper)

asparagus

leftover baguette from last night's dinner

carrots, celery and pears for kids

It was another gorgeous day here. We spent hours at the bay, playing and swimming. I am sore from so much swimming and pushing ds around on our big surfboard. I am also sunburned, ouch. Ready to sit outside with a glass of wine.

Oh man, isn't foil packet fish the best thing ever? We have to do that again soon on the grill - if the weather ever warms up again here. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page