Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 43 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

#1261 of 3393 Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got to pick kids up at 5 - we had therapy at 6- so it was chinese buffet for us....need to plan better next time

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#1262 of 3393 Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Mmm, roast sounds good.

Last night I made Tomato Basil Bisque from my garden supply along with grilled cheese. Hubby actually ate it but didn't finish the soup. Lol He ate most of it so that's a BIG step for him.

Today is another new recipe (that one yesterday was too, just needs tweaked a bit and will be great), Penne Pasta with Bacon and Cream. They had me at bacon, not kidding. I don't do a lot of pork, but I can't give up the bacon from time to time. I do get the nitrate free. Sheepish.gif

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#1263 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM

I just read through so much of this thread and I'm DROOLING 

Yesterday we had breakfast for dinner: I made chia seed/mango/raspberry smoothies alongside cheesy omelettes and apple cider donuts :/

Tonight: black beans over rice with salsa and fresh guac 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#1264 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM

Well, today is so left overs. I have some Chicken Rice Cas. left over from Monday and some Bacon and Cream Penne (Gluten Free - score!) from last night. His Mom sent over refried beans and fresh tortillas so he was totally happy with that instead of the pasta. He is loving what he was raised on. Lol

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#1265 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Trying to even remember what we ate this week...

burgers, sweet potato oven fries, honey mustard garlic green beans

Salmon, whole wheat pasta with goat cheese, broccoli, basil and tomatoes

sort of taco bowls with roasted potatoes, steak, peppers and onions, fresh salsa and guac

Tonight is crockpot paella that I started too late and had to throw in the oven.

Trying to save my freezer, crockpot meals for when I really need them but i so don't feel like cooking this week.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#1266 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Tonight we did gramigna alla salsiccia e vino. So, so good - it's the perfect fall pasta dish. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1267 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM

What in the world is that kq

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#1268 of 3393 Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I typed that by rote, wasn't trying to be pompous! :-) It's sausage and white wine pasta - I put up this recipe on my old blog. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1269 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Tonight (if I get around to it) is chili beans and bread "bowls". Hubby wanted me to make it, so I guess I will. But I should have already started it. I'm just SO TIRED.

#1270 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Chicken and vegtable soup tonight.  Not terribly exciting but the girls are sick and it will nourish them.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#1271 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Today hubby's work had a family day so we had hotdogs, hamburgers, beans and potato salad..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1272 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM

I think I'm going to make a chicken corn soup with rivels tomorrow, my kids have been battling the stuffies too and could use it. They are currently sitting in a hot shower, playing with plastic animals, and listening to kids music to keep them in there longer.

Tonight it's an early dinner for the kids of turkey burgers, oven fries, broccoli and cantaloupe. Then we have Friday family movie night with big bowls of popcorn. Not sure if dh and I are going to have burgers too or have him pick something up later, we're so tired on Fridays.

I need to work on my menu for next week, need to get a burst of nutrients into these runny nose kids.

#1273 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

I think I'm going to make a chicken corn soup with rivels tomorrow

What are rivels? 

Tonight we had fish sticks and mashed potatoes. 

#1274 of 3393 Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

What are rivels? 

This is a good explanation of how to make rivels, they are just mini dumplings and work well as the noodles in soup

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/how-i-make-rivels-couscous-size/

#1275 of 3393 Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Last night we had gingered black beans, roasted veg (zuch, sweet potato, and carrot) and melon. Sadly my kids would eat nothing but melon. irked.gif

Tonight we are going to a family party so it is likely to be pinto beans, Mexican rice, tortillas, and some kind of potato or macaroni salad.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#1276 of 3393 Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Our small group from church is coming tonight!  I am making enchiladas with green chile sauce, brown rice, crockpot refried beans, salad and peach ice cream.  Yum!  I am excited to see people and to eat!

#1277 of 3393 Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

We did baked chicken breaded with pulverized rice crispies - which started out as a broke and busted meal before grocery shopping day a few months ago, and now I love it more than regular bread crumbs. It's super crunchy, and has an almost nutty flavor. We had canned green beans and leftover mashed potatoes from the other night alongside. 

#1278 of 3393 Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM

We went to the asian grocery today, I really need to go there more often. I just chicken out when I'm by myself, it's like another land in there. My kids love all the live animals, especially the bull frogs.

Tonight: chicken chow mein with soba noodles, onion, broccoli, red pepper, carrots and mushrooms, apples for kids. We bought some tuna to sashimi so dh and I are going to make some rolls and also have seaweed salad (so good!)

On the menu this week (or what I have right now, it's more than a week's worth):

CP pork roast, roasted potatoes and vegetables

Red snapper, rice, brussels sprouts

Turkey burgers, oven fries, salad

CP chicken cacciatore, pasta, spaghetti squash

Fish, vegetable and chick pea curry, brown rice

Steaks, roasted potatoes, broccoli

Roasted whole chicken, stuffing, squash, potatoes

Spanish rice with ground beef and black beans, quesadillas, salad

CP italian wedding soup or pasta e fagioli (many of the ingredients are the same), crusty bread

Chicken vegetable chow mein, potstickers

Breaded pork chops, roasted potatoes and vegetables

I also want to make some lentil dahl in the CP for lunches for me and a batch of pumpkin cookies for the kiddos. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow morning.
#1279 of 3393 Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM

MMMm, Colemom, Your menu sounds yummy!

Tonight we have chicken with coconut aminos (a soy sauce replacement), garlic and ginger, broccoli with sweet chili sauce and brown rice.

Tomorrow I will probably toss something in the crockpot because I am watching my friends little boys in the morning. I should save them for if/when morning sickness hits though.  We'll see how the day goes.

#1280 of 3393 Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM

I keep forgetting to post on this thread. So many delicious meal ideas in here!!

It's been colder here so I've been wanting comfort food. Tonight I made coconut tofu stew with carrots/broccoli/mushrooms over jasmine rice. I've been CRAVING biscuits for awhile and can't wait to make some soon.

kitchensqueen, love the idea of using rice crispies as a breading! 

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#1281 of 3393 Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Ooh, coconut tofu stew sounds good.

Colemom - what is CP?

Yesterday we had sweet potato/black bean/corn tacos. Tonight spaghetti and meatballs. Tomorrow probably chickpea curry since I have some chickpeas soaking.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#1282 of 3393 Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana 

Colemom - what is CP?

Crock Pot!

#1283 of 3393 Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Crock Pot!

Duh! Should have guessed that. I haven't posted in this thread much lately!

#1284 of 3393 Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

kitchensqueen, love the idea of using rice crispies as a breading! 

It's totally our secret weapon now! You can buy a giant bag of store brand rice crispies for like two bucks, and they last forever whereas a tiny container of bread crumbs cost $4.00 and lasts a month. So when we do them on the chicken, we pound them (with my Oxo meat tenderizer pounder thingy - great for stress relief!) so they're only half crumbled and kind of chunky. Last night I made pork schnitzel so I pounded them really finely and you wouldn't really know the difference between them and actual wheat bread crumbs. We're not gluten free at our house, but my niece is having issues so I imagine that using rice crispies is the secret of GF people everywhere. Or it should be! 

Tonight my husband made balsamic chicken with bacon and potatoes in the crockpot for dinner. All hail the crockpot! Fall is coming. Even though today was rough (aren't Mondays always?) and I'm angry about some stupid family crap, I'm actually in a really good mood because we had a great dinner and I got to spend some quality time with husband and Little Man. Tomorrow - not sure what we're doing yet, but now that we have the crockpot out, I kind of want to use it some more. It's officially fall now, so it's a crockpot free for all! 

#1285 of 3393 Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM

I'm going to try that with baked tofu. Sounds delicious. I might mix up some dried herbs in the crispie crumbs.

#1286 of 3393 Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Last night hubby made tacos for dinner.. Tonight we are having steak and potatoes (Im craving red meat right now, probably because my iron is low)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1287 of 3393 Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM

Found half a bag of krispies in the pantry. Will have to try that on chicken.

Crockpot it is today. Chickpeas are cooking in there as I type and will turn into chickpea curry later. I might freeze half.

#1288 of 3393 Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM

We recently moved into a new house with a very old stove (but it looks cool!) and it requires lighting every time I need to use the oven. I finally found long oven matches today, so I am looking forward to baking something tonight. I think it will be biscuits. Accompanied by some sort of stew that uses up the veggies we have in the fridge that are on their last legs. So that means... cabbage and carrot stew? I've also been wanting to make a vegan pasty with potatoes so I might do that instead.

#1289 of 3393 Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Hey, I have a stove like that. Do you have a Chambers? Ours is this one:

http://www.antiquestoveheaven.com/images/chambers4.jpg

#1290 of 3393 Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM

I have some chicken defrosting.  I haven't decided which way I'm cooking it yet.  Either garlic baked (new recipe) or baked chicken parm. Either way sides are sauteed spinach and baked sweet potato fries.  I'm making something with sweet potatoes 3 or 4 times a week lately.  DD and I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

We recently moved into a new house with a very old stove (but it looks cool!) and it requires lighting every time I need to use the oven. I finally found long oven matches today, so I am looking forward to baking something tonight. I think it will be biscuits. Accompanied by some sort of stew that uses up the veggies we have in the fridge that are on their last legs. So that means... cabbage and carrot stew? I've also been wanting to make a vegan pasty with potatoes so I might do that instead.

Just FYI, you can use dried pasta to light stuff.  It burns pretty well.  I've used it when I needed to light some candles, but did't have matches (I lit it in the flame from my gas burners)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page