Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 51 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

#1501 of 3115 Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been lost in the busyness of the holidays lately. With school getting out so late, I feel like we're on a mad race to Christmas. We have been having a lot of frozen pizza, spaghetti, curry, and simple dinners. Whatever I can pull off quickly.

Last night we had soup for Solstice. I made a big pot of matzo ball soup with added veggies, ds had udon noodles instead of matzo balls, with applesauce and leftover garlic bread.

Tonight I'm making a ham, cheesy hashbrown casserole, roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli. I'm sure tomorrow will be something with leftover ham, maybe grilled sandwiches and pasta salad.

Christmas Eve is at my parents' house. We usually have a ham or standing rib roast, scalloped potatoes, peas and pearl onions, swedish meatballs with dill sauce, potato korv, and rice pudding.

Christmas Day we stay home, my parents usually come over in the morning for presents and we have some kind of breakfast casserole, bacon, orange juice and coffee. By mid afternoon we are all holidayed out, so we started a new tradition the last couple years of having a taco bar with flour tortillas, seasoned ground beef, refried beans, olives, cheese, sour cream, chopped lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. Simple tacos are nice after all the heavy holiday food.

Also on the menu this week:

Salisbury steaks, mashed potatoes, broccoli

Zuppa toscana soup (italian sausage, potatoes, kale), cornbread

Steaks, roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, broccoli

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad

Ham and pineapple pizza, salad

#1502 of 3115 Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Tonight we're braving the frigid cold and snow and grilling out. Why not? We're doing mesquite chicken with cayenne and paprika roasted cauliflower. 

No idea what we're doing tomorrow, but I've planned a few special menus for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We're not doing any extraordinary, but I like to make a nice meal even though we're staying in. 

New Year's Eve - 

- Home made egg rolls with home made sweet and sour sauce. 

- Home made Mongolian beef

- White rice

New Year's Day - 

- Roasted leg of lamb persillade

- Herbs de Provence roasted potatoes (in the roasting pan underneath the racked lamb, so they should be extra awesome)

- Tunnel of fudge cake

Anyone else making anything special for New Year's Eve or Day?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1503 of 3115 Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

We decided to do the Mongolian beef tonight, so we're going to have beef broccoli with the egg rolls for tomorrow night. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1504 of 3115 Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM

Tonight we're having beef stir fry over brown rice and crusty bread.

#1505 of 3115 Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM

last night we had salibury steaks and rice... tonight was chicken salad sandwiches...

my mom was in a car accident on monday, and totalled my car. shes fine thankfully, and no one else was seriously injured. thank GOD i live around the corner from work, so i wont lose my job. but now im playing phone tag with the insurance, because i work during "business hours". i just got this car in june, so i have most of the loan still due on it, and i dont know how that works. add to that, i have classes starting in about 2.5 weeks that i will have to drop if i dont have a car by the 13th (last day to change classes), and that is looking likely. and i have to come up with the deductable for my insurance. i literally prayed for peace and strength on the side of the road, and i am surprisingly calm about the whole thing, just very frustrated. and my grandpa keeps trying to help, but its not really, lol

now its time to get creative. i had roughly planned out my january meals, and had planned to go shopping this week, but my food stamps dont reload til sunday, and the bus i need doesnt run on sundays (grrrr... i hate riding the bus... i havent been in a city bus in like 10 yrs, lol).... i got a $20 walmart gift card from one of my parents at work for christmas, so i think i'll get some basics to tide us over/fill in the holes til next week. we need produce, and cheese and butter and stuff like that

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#1506 of 3115 Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Next weeks worth of meals:

tonight: pizza and salad

tomorrow: chili and corn bread

Sunday: chili mac and cheese

Monday: tater tot cassarole

Wednesday: spaghetti

Thursday: chili over mashed potatoes

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1507 of 3115 Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM

I made homemade chicken noodle soup.  claim to fame.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#1508 of 3115 Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

My MIL burned some chicken, and is making frozen vegetables to go with it. Sigh. 

#1509 of 3115 Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ashleyhaugh - So sorry to hear about your car! Hope it gets worked out soon.

Okimom - Sounds like my kind of week!

Mom31 - Can I come over? I'm sick as a dog right now. Mmmm, chicken soup...

Kitchensqueen - LOL Hope you're able to get back to your own kitchen soon!

As I said, I'm sick as a dog right now, so we had Asian takeout yesterday. Here is what I think we're having this week, although the order may change (I'm calling it "greatest hits" week):

Mon - penne & easy tomato sauce (can of tomatoes simmered with an onion, finished with butter and S&P), salad with garlic dressing

Tue - rice & pinto beans, toppings

Wed - chickpea & potato curry

Thu - tofu & broccoli, edamame

Fri - pizza bread? or if I am well & decide to get fancy: spinach & goat cheese lasagna

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#1510 of 3115 Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

My MIL burned some chicken, and is making frozen vegetables to go with it. Sigh. 

Ugh.  This sounds like dinner at my parents' house.  My poor dad...although he doesn't really know any better!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#1511 of 3115 Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post

Ugh.  This sounds like dinner at my parents' house.  My poor dad...although he doesn't really know any better!

Oy, that's rough! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Kitchensqueen - LOL Hope you're able to get back to your own kitchen soon!

I know! My husband got a part time job offer today and we're starting to see some good apartments, so everyone please cross their fingers (or whatever else you do for positive thinking) that we'll be back in our own place for February!

Tonight my husband beat my MIL into the kitchen and made Thai noodle soup. Always good, and soup really stretches a small package of chicken across many mouths to feed. :-)

#1512 of 3115 Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM

ooo

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#1513 of 3115 Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

We had a dinner fail with inedible crockpot chili. So I had a small bowl of pasta and chicken nuggets. As in, the actual McNuggets... I feel weird and slightly ashamed. But kind of, they were good. I might have a super secret weakness for chicken McNuggets. Childhood comfort food? Don't tell anyone though. 

#1514 of 3115 Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Don't feel bad, we had Little Caesar's pizza.  We had a coupon.  bag.gif

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#1515 of 3115 Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 AM

kitchen- I have a weird love of McNuggets as well. It reminds me of my mom, she fed us a LOT of McNuggets (we have 4 food groups growing up: boxed, canned, frozen, drive through and delivery). I had a learning curve when I got married and started actually cooking real meals from real ingredients.

I haven't been following my meal plan to well. We got a huge ham of sale (1.00 a pound when its usually 2.00 a pound.. my husband loves ham) so I cooked it up. I made a meal from it then bagged up the rest for future meals. Had spaghetti and chili with tater tots as well..

Tonight we are doing rice and chili. Tomorrow its chili, mac and cheese. I need to use up the chili before it goes bad.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#1516 of 3115 Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM

I just had McNuggets over the break when we stopped on our way to the snow. We got a 20 box and shared it between all of us and I think I ate five, dipped in their HFCS bbq sauce. So bad, but so good.

Outside of our trip, I have been doing a Whole30 (strict paleo eating challenge) for this month, and I feel great. All of my meals have been super heavy on the veggies. After this month, we'll go back to primal eating, I do miss having a little dairy and wine and the occasional legume. The kids are still eating grains and dairy, I make them an additional side dish.

Tonight we're having Thai red curry with shrimp, broccoli, carrots and red pepper, served over sauteed shredded cabbage (and maybe a teensy bit of quinoa if I'm feeling naughty). Kids are having breakfast for dinner: waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit.

On the menu this week:

CP pork roast in onion mushroom gravy, roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts

Chicken thighs with bacon and mushrooms, roasted sweet potatoes, spinach salad

CP Pizza Soup (italian sausage, fire roasted tomatoes, olives, kale, red pepper), added pasta to the kids' bowls

Salmon, stir fry broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms and red pepper in a soy sesame sauce, a little quinoa

Steaks with sauteed onions, mushrooms and rainbow chard, roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli

CP chicken cacciatore with green pepper, mushrooms and zucchini, spaghetti squash, pasta for kids

Shrimp fajita salad with sauteed peppers and onions, chopped tomato and avocado, tortillas for kids

#1517 of 3115 Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post

Don't feel bad, we had Little Caesar's pizza.  We had a coupon.  bag.gif

I loved their bread sticks when I was a kid - so soft and chewy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

kitchen- I have a weird love of McNuggets as well. It reminds me of my mom, she fed us a LOT of McNuggets (we have 4 food groups growing up: boxed, canned, frozen, drive through and delivery). I had a learning curve when I got married and started actually cooking real meals from real ingredients.

They were certainly my go to choice when we went out to eat. Small town American restaurant = McDonald's. I can probably count the number of times on one hand when I got a cheeseburger happy meals; it was always the nuggets for me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

I just had McNuggets over the break when we stopped on our way to the snow. We got a 20 box and shared it between all of us and I think I ate five, dipped in their HFCS bbq sauce. So bad, but so good.

Oh yeah, the barbecue sauce is probably the most unhealthy part - but it is really tasty. 

No more McNuggets here today though - we had spaghetti with mushroom marinara. Not home made, but a jar of Newman's. I can't wait to be in my own house again in February. I use a few convenience foods in my cooking from time to time, but my in laws eat from the box or can almost exclusively... just not my cup of tea. There are boxed mashed potatoes in the cupboard. My MIL was flabbergasted when I bought actual potatoes the other week. She didn't understand why I wanted them when she "already had some" in the cupboard... 

#1518 of 3115 Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Mon - penne & easy tomato sauce (can of tomatoes simmered with an onion, finished with butter and S&P), salad with garlic dressing

Tue - rice & pinto beans, toppings

Wed - chickpea & potato curry

Thu - tofu & broccoli, edamame

Fri - pizza bread? or if I am well & decide to get fancy: spinach & goat cheese lasagna

Mixed up the order, but still on track for this week. I'll have to change the curry to cauliflower & potato, though & tofu stirfry will have different veg. I am trying to go to the grocery store about every 5 days & use up almost everything before I go. We'll see how that works this month.

Oh, chicken nuggets! I used to get them with the sweet-and-sour sauce - don't know if they still have that.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#1519 of 3115 Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Straying from the meal plan tonight because I don't feel like anything on my menu. I have committed to not getting any take out this month (for health and budget reasons), so I figured something out.

Frittata with chicken apple sausage, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes and chives topped with avocado, spicy roasted sweet potatoes, mixed green salad with vinaigrette

Kids will have a simpler version: egg and chicken apple sausage scramble, roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli and pears

#1520 of 3115 Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

There are boxed mashed potatoes in the cupboard. My MIL was flabbergasted when I bought actual potatoes the other week. She didn't understand why I wanted them when she "already had some" in the cupboard... 

Bwah !!!  This is my mother's cupboard exactly.  And she has MULTIPLE boxes of this stuff.  When I was living there, I would periodically throw out all the expired boxed and canned food.  How long must you be stockpiling this stuff for it to EXPIRE ???  And it's normally just her and my dad...do they need 5 jars of mayo or 8 boxes of fettucine alfredo in case the world ends?  But I digress....

One of my favorite DS stories:  My mom served us prepared stuffed chicken breasts from the meat section (blech), boxed mashed potatoes, and broccoli (but microwaved, natch).  DS asked politely for more broccoli.  My dad replied "but you haven't finished your mashed potatoes...."

I'm thinking to myself (A) those aren't real mashed potatoes; (B) he asked for seconds of the healthiest thing, let him be; and (C) I didn't want the potatoes either!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#1521 of 3115 Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM

I don't think I have posted since before my baby was born almost 9 months ago! I just read through the last few months :)

Monday we had tacos- beef/venison/pinto bean mix with homemade seasoning. Flour tortillas, cheese, lettuce, corn, and home-canned zucchini salsa. I am dairy-free for the baby, and putting corn on the taco helps give it a different taste so I don't miss the cheese as much. We didn't have avacado, but that is the best.

Tuesday was ham, sweet potatoes, and pineapple.

Last night we ate my first attempt at pad thai. It was honestly nothing like the one I get at the restaurant, but still tasty. I think I made it a bit too spicy for the kids, though I tried to be careful. I bought sriracha sauce for the first time ever to go on it. Man that stuff is good! I am putting it on everything from now on!

Tonight we are having split pea soup using the hambone I froze from Christmas. I need to put together some bread here soon to go with it.

Friday will likely be some form of taco/nacho/quesadilla to use up leftovers.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#1522 of 3115 Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post

Bwah !!!  This is my mother's cupboard exactly.  And she has MULTIPLE boxes of this stuff.  When I was living there, I would periodically throw out all the expired boxed and canned food.  How long must you be stockpiling this stuff for it to EXPIRE ???  And it's normally just her and my dad...do they need 5 jars of mayo or 8 boxes of fettucine alfredo in case the world ends?  But I digress....

One of my favorite DS stories:  My mom served us prepared stuffed chicken breasts from the meat section (blech), boxed mashed potatoes, and broccoli (but microwaved, natch).  DS asked politely for more broccoli.  My dad replied "but you haven't finished your mashed potatoes...."

I'm thinking to myself (A) those aren't real mashed potatoes; (B) he asked for seconds of the healthiest thing, let him be; and (C) I didn't want the potatoes either!

Oh my god, don't even get me started on the expiration dates! They will keep - and eat - leftovers for like, two weeks. And then wonder why they have upset stomachs the next day. Once we hit day three/four, my husband and I have to throw out stuff on the sly. 

And too funny about the "mashed potatoes". I can see how throwing a box in an emergency kit would be useful, but beyond that - not food! 

Tonight my husband made an awesome crockpot dinner - chicken with herbs de provence and white wine. With couscous on the side. It's going to be good. 

#1523 of 3115 Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

We're having brats, fries and baked beans. Friday night junk food...

#1524 of 3115 Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Pot Roast

#1525 of 3115 Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Tonight is an asian style pork roast in the CP, stir fried broccoli, carrots, red pepper and cabbage, kids will also have brown rice and pears.

On the menu this week:

CP chicken cacciatore, spaghetti squash, pasta

Salmon with tomato avocado salsa, sauteed spinach, quinoa

Steaks, sauteed rainbow chard, roasted sweet potatoes

Whole roasted chicken, mashed butternut squash, brussels sprouts

CP chicken posole soup with cabbage

#1526 of 3115 Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM

I actually keep boxed mashed potatoes in the cupboard for those times that I just don't have the time to make the potatoes from scratch. I figure its better than fast food.

#1527 of 3115 Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I actually keep boxed mashed potatoes in the cupboard for those times that I just don't have the time to make the potatoes from scratch. I figure its better than fast food.

I do believe they have their purpose - I'm not trying to be overly judgmental here - but they never eat real potatoes. It's boxed mashed potatoes or nothing,,, just not my cup of tea, that's all!

Tonight my FIL made a great meal - grilled steaks, steamed broccoli, baked potatoes and croissants to celebrate my husband's part time job. So my in laws don't eat terribly all the time! 

#1528 of 3115 Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

I keep a box around for the occasional fast dinner side and potato pancakes and they are a great thickener for soups. Don't worry, they are much better than hitting a drive thru. We're pretty good around here, but nowhere near perfect :)

#1529 of 3115 Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM

On tonight's menu: spicy sweet potato and black bean quesadillas with salad and steamed broccoli with baked apples for dessert

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#1530 of 3115 Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

We had the best dinner tonight. My husband made a potato kielbasa skillet from Taste of Home. We didn't have any spinach or bacon, so we left them out, but it was still excellent. And my husband added a little paprika too. It was really good. Definitely going on our repeat list. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page