Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 56 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made some yummy pheasant from the freezer that my dad and son hunted this winter.  I put it in crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and served it with stuffing and peas and oranges.  They loved it.  I don't eat meat but I did eat that.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM

Last night I made a chickpea/potato/cauliflower curry on basmati rice. Used up the rest of Easter potatoes and the roasted cauliflower from last night. Curry is one meal all 3 kids usually devour and they did so that made my life easier and I made a big enough batch that I have some frozen for a lunch for a couple of uscarrot.gif

Tonight we have a showing right at dinner/bed time....sigh so I pulled some Carribean black bean and pineapple soup out of the freezer. I love having a full freezer. I'll prob pull out some frozen buns from Easter or add the little bit of rice leftover from last night to make it more filling.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM

still chilly here in PA ~ So! I am still using the crockpot! Tonight is Shredded Salsa Chicken Taco/Wraps. I love being able to throw my chicken breasts in the crockpot frozen and just shred them up at the end to soak up all of those delicious juices!

Last night I made Quinoa Stuffed Pepper Cups but had a ton of veggies in the fridge from the farmer's market so i loaded them up with asparagus, mushrooms, carrots. It was delish and made so much extra that i put some extra filling on my salad today for lunch!

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Switched it up - saving the dosas and veg curry for the weekend or early next week. Tonight was roasted potato wedges with sriracha mayo (or ketchup) and leftover green veggies - asparagus, broccoli, edamame.

I also made some homemade hot sauce with chilies, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt & agave based on the "homemade sriracha" recipes I saw floating around on the interwebs. Not bad for a first try and considering I had to use green chilies because red ones are nowhere to be found. I might try white vinegar next time - the apple cider flavor is a little pronounced.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Tonight was some of the venison hubby hunted in Oct, I think it was. Baked that and had corn and salad with it. Tomorrow probably the same. Sunday will be spaghetti and meatballs.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Last night was soup I pulled from the freezer. I was at the lab for 3h doing my glucose test and we had a showing from 3-4 so we went easy dinner route. Had the soup with frozen buns leftover from Easter

Tonight is http://www.theppk.com/2010/09/caribbean-curry-black-eyed-peas-with-plantains/

But we add diced carrots and pieces of green beans to ours. We're having it over an organic rice/quinoa blend I got from Costco I've been dying to try.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Tonight is a mixture of potatoes,carrots,onions,pickled cocktail onions(jar leftover from Easter) and garlic in the slow cooker with some frozen mushroom gravy I've had leftover forever. Having peas, slow cooker beets,a big salad and soy chicken breasts with bbq sauce with it.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Salisbury steak over egg noodles here. Though it'll be my second helping of the day. Since husband works Sunday evenings, we have our family meal for lunch and I just make enough so that I can have leftovers for dinner since it's just me at home. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Tonight - fresh pitas with hummus and baba ganoush, chicken drumsticks, salad and olives/peperoncini

I have a pretty full pantry right now, so some ideas for the week I could make out of the pantry are

* Pasta with canned clams or salmon or tuna

* Pasta with egg, garlic and parmesan

* Pasta with tomato sauce (yep, good deal on pasta!)

* Veg curry and dosas I have been wanting to make

* Korean beef soup from the freezer (maybe tomorrow for myself - need to make room in the freezer since a friend is getting me a good deal on chicken breasts I want to freeze)

* Vietnamese noodle salad with shredded chicken

* Chickpeas and couscous

* Mexican bowls or chili with pintos (from dried)

Anyone have a good recipe using kasha? I found that in the pantry, too yummy.gif

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM

Tonight is this...

http://www.food.com/recipe/tangy-tamarind-chickpeas-khata-imlee-chana-slow-cooker-490440

I'm really hoping it doesn't take 12h. My slow cooker runs high so I should be safe. We are having the chickpeas with naan,beet and cucumber salad, cous-cous salad made with oj/dried cranberries and pistachios and a carrot slaw with sesame oil. I promised the kids park time after school so I'm making everything this am. Love meals like that

Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM

Tonight is beans, rice and my mils tortillas.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM

Tonight is beans, rice and my mils tortillas.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 AM

The tamarind chickpeas I made a few nights ago were AWESOME. I'm blending the leftovers into hummus for lunch today and making a hummus pizza on naan with olives/peppers and tomatoes.

Last night for dinner we had tofu stir fry in pb sauce on egg noodles and salad with leftover beets. It's a quick meal all the kids eat w-out an issue

Tonight is BBQ black eyed peas. Haven't decided what I'm making with it. Ds has been bugging for hasselback potatoes and since the oven will be on anyways I may indulge him. We'll have it with salad

Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM

I've decided with the black eyed peas to go semi traditional. We're having corn bread,a saute of okra,green beans,corn and black olives and a massive salad that I basically threw whatever I found in the fridge into.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM

I'm making mom's chicken paprikás with egg noodles. Maybe I'll do a quick salad for starters.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

My husband did a red wine based beef stew in the crockpot for dinner before he went to work. I made some noodles when I got home to serve it over. Turned out pretty good. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM

We had roasted chicken and vegetables (red potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, celery). Tossed all of it with white wine, herbes de provence, sea salt, white pepper, and minced garlic, squeezed lemon juice over the top. The chicken was a little dry - I might try tenting it inside parchment paper next time. It was good though, and different than anything else I've ever made.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Yesterday was Thai green curry with vegetables and tofu over rice. Today was pasta and a jar of sauce with some ground beef. I helped cater a healthy lunch for seniors today, so I have leftover roasted potatoes, sauteed carrots and asparagus, and a zucchini/tomato/pepper mix that I need to work into dinner tomorrow night if it doesn't get eaten in lunches.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

sausage and some corn under butter, side of herbs

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Tonight I will use the leftover vegetables from the senior lunch, thaw some soup from the freezer, and fry up an egg for anyone who complains.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Tonight was "shrek noodles" which is what the kids call pasta with a dairy free avocado sauce. They devour it and always have seconds. We had it with salad. It's such a quick meal I love it

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 AM

same thing as last night: sausage with some corn under butter, side of herbs

Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM

I think taquitoes and maybe rice.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

We had roasted chicken and vegetables (red potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, celery). Tossed all of it with white wine, herbes de provence, sea salt, white pepper, and minced garlic, squeezed lemon juice over the top. The chicken was a little dry - I might try tenting it inside parchment paper next time. It was good though, and different than anything else I've ever made.

Try it in the crockpot - it basically comes out like rotisserie chicken. If you do the veg roasted in the oven, just elevate the chicken in the crockpot on a thick ring of aluminum foil, and go easy on the white wine - a half cup should be sufficient. When doing "roasted" chicken in the crockpot you don't typically add any liquid, so when you do add a little for flavor make sure it's not a lot. We do it fairly frequently and I actually prefer whole chicken this way instead of oven roasted - it's so juicy, moist and tender you won't believe it. 

I had leftover beef stew this evening that husband made the other night - husband at work this evening. 

Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

Tonight was "shrek noodles" which is what the kids call pasta with a dairy free avocado sauce. They devour it and always have seconds. We had it with salad. It's such a quick meal I love it

How do you make your avocado sauce?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

How do you make your avocado sauce?

I don't really have a "recipe" I just blend some cloves of garlic,walnuts,2 avocado,half an onion,a bunch of fresh basil with some olive oil and lemon juice. Then add almond milk if I need to thin it out. I then toss it with the cooked noodles to take a bit of the major spice out of the garlic but I never "cook" the sauce. Kids like it topped with black olives and sliced cherry tomatoes.

It takes longer to cook the noodles then make the sauce. An actual 10 min recipe. Love it

Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 AM

The big kids are gone until tomorrow night so last night was a grazing dinner. Olives,goats milk cheese,salsa,hummus,chips ect

I'm *hoping* dh brings me home the red thai curry special from my fave thai place tonight. It's been closed for weeks and baby in belly is getting bitter!!!!

Tomorrow we go to pick up the kids. We are making dinner for my family while there. We are planning cheese ravioli for the adults and plain pasta for the kids. With a huge salad with pistachios,an olive plate and a strawberry pie.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:16 PM

We had the taquitos today and left overs last night. I forget what I have down for tomorrow. Meatloaf?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 AM

sausage with refried beans & chicken fat, side of herbs

we didn't like the corn too much, I received a batch from a neighbor and used it up but it gave me indigestion :( we ordinarily don't eat corn.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 AM

This week, 4/14:

Salmon, stir fried vegetables, quinoa, parmesan noodles for kids

Shrimp and vegetable saute with butter and parm cheese, quinoa, high fiber penne for kids

Carne asada tacos, black beans, avocado, salad

CP bbq chicken, roasted fingerling and sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts

Bbq hamburger patties, sauteed vegetables, roasted fingerling and sweet potatoes and asparagus

Waffle Wednesday/Shrimp, chick pea and vegetable curry, brown rice, samosas

Friday Pizza and Movie/Cauliflower crust ham and pineapple pizza, ham and cheese pizza with normal crust for kids

User Tag List