Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
First ... 4  5  6 7  8  16  56  106  ... Last
Meal Planning > Dinner - What Are You Having?
Ragana's Avatar Ragana 09:01 AM 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

Do you know about the Meal Planning thread also talking about FOOD!!!

Ooh, I didn't, but there can't be too many threads about food! eat.gif  < love this one.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:26 AM 10-19-2011

I also didn't know about the other thread. Love that so many people like talking about food here. :-)

I got some beautiful leeks (the last three the farmer had!) at the last summer season session of our farmer's market on Sunday, so I'm doing a fall favorite at our house and making leek and potato soup. I've got a bit of odds and ends of bread at this point - some apple cider sourdough and some epi, so I'm thinking of cubing them for some giant croutons to serve with it, along with a few drops of balsamic vinegar. It's been cold and rainy here all week, so I'm really excited about soup. 

I also got a bunch of fresh dill at the market, so I'm thinking of doing some kind of dilled chicken with potatoes in the crockpot tomorrow. 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 11:38 AM 10-19-2011

Peggy, that chile sounds awesome.  I love sweet potatoes with beans!  Esp. black beans...  Reminds me that I need to make Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos for the freezer (if they make it that far!)...

I spent yesterday canning applesauce.  At the grocery store I saw an apple (Jonathan) display.  It had bags of apples and 3 signs said, ".94/lb" and one sign said, ".94/ea" so my dh took a pic and I loaded up my cart.  Wish I had gotten more!  I told them I was taking those apples for the advertised price I preferred, lol.  They didn't argue.

Last night we had swiss chard/spinach lasagne (my mom gave us a HUGE bag--all I could pick--of swiss chard and chinese cabbage).  Believe it or not it was even meat free--even we get tired of meat all the time, lol.  I also made my first batch of artisan bread in 5 minutes a day and was very, very disappointed.  I used the recipe off of Mother Earth News that someone had posted in another thread around here.  It was very, very salty, and I raised an eyebrow at the recipe before I ever made it, which should have been a signal.  There was no sugar in it!  Yeast feeds off of sugar and all.  I know I followed the recipe correctly.  I have the book so I guess I should drag it out and take a look.  maybe the article was incorrect.

I got pinto beans soaking yesterday and decided to just can them today.  Also have 2 fresh (uncured) hams thawed out.  One I will cut up and can in chunks.  The other will be made into (w/some of the beans) a huge pot of chili to be canned.  I need some convenience stuff around here.  A "snack" for my growing kids will be a jar of chili over a baked potato.  5 minutes later they'll eat all their supper!  I'm seriously worried about how big my garden will need to be in another year of them growing....(my 12 yo dd is wearing a size 10 women's shoe!!).  So I guess tonight we'll have chili.

Anyone ever eaten Chinese cabbage?  My mom said it was sort of like mild mustard/collard cross....  What to do with it??

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:50 AM 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

I got pinto beans soaking yesterday and decided to just can them today.  Also have 2 fresh (uncured) hams thawed out.  One I will cut up and can in chunks.  The other will be made into (w/some of the beans) a huge pot of chili to be canned.  I need some convenience stuff around here.  A "snack" for my growing kids will be a jar of chili over a baked potato.  5 minutes later they'll eat all their supper!  I'm seriously worried about how big my garden will need to be in another year of them growing....(my 12 yo dd is wearing a size 10 women's shoe!!).  So I guess tonight we'll have chili.

Anyone ever eaten Chinese cabbage?  My mom said it was sort of like mild mustard/collard cross....  What to do with it??

You must have a pressure canner! I need to get one before next summer; there's so much I want to do. It would be great to can my own stocks. 

As for the Chinese cabbage, it's great in eggrolls. :-)

Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 06:05 PM 10-19-2011

I got the idea for putting the sweet potatoes in the chile from the Ahmed Obo, owner of Jambo, an African restaurant here in Santa Fe. He uses them a lot in his soups and won first prize at the Souper Bowl in Santa Fe two years in a row. The soup that won this year is curried black bean, sweet potato, coconut cream soup (vegetarian).

You can use Chinese Cabbage like "regular" cabbage, in a slaw or a stir fry. It's mild tasting, milder than cabbage, not as spicy as mustard or collard greens. 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 01:46 PM 10-20-2011

There are lots of kinds of chinese cabbage, apparently, lol.  The type I have is not like bok choy.  It grows just like swiss chard and mustard greens.  Loose leaves, not in a head.

I loves me some sweet potatoes!  I made a Jamaican tortilla soup and put some in it recently.  Coconut milk, lots of lime....

KQ, yes I have a pressure canner.  2, as a matter of fact.  Thankfully, too, because the knobs on my All American one got stuck and I had to switch to the Presto one I have.  One of the dang jars broke, too.  Grrrr.

philomom's Avatar philomom 01:49 PM 10-20-2011
Chicken stir fry tonight.
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 02:11 PM 10-20-2011

I've got the chicken in the crockpot. Chicken legs, potatoes, an onion, and the giant bunch of dill, in a bit of chicken stock with dijon mustard. I hope it turns out - I just kind of threw it all in there. 

Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat 09:16 PM 10-20-2011

Tonight we had bbq chicken and sweet potato fries. Mmmm

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 09:26 PM 10-20-2011
tonight was simple- chicken breasts, a salad, and this easy peasy noodle recipe i found in my joy of cooking book- melt a stick of butter, and saute some chopped garlic. add in a cup of bread crumb (i use the ones from the canister, lol) and toast them up. mix with a pound of hot noodles and serve. so simple, but so yummy. even mister picky pants likes them, lol
Ragana's Avatar Ragana 07:20 AM 10-21-2011

A stick of butter makes everything better!

I get a four-day vacation from cooking! Last night was date night (w/coupon to restaurant & gift card - knocked our bill down to $15), and I had shrimp & crawfish etouffe for the first time. Delicious. Tonight is dinner w/ friends at their house. We're bringing beer. Sat. Cheap curry night with friends. Sun. DH is cooking.

Sun. also maybe a Costco run. Gotten anything particularly good from there lately? I want to pick up some wild salmon.

rebirth's Avatar rebirth 03:24 PM 10-21-2011
Headed home to farmhouse chicken casserole (from the freezer) which my sweet husband is heating up. YUM! Maybe I can get him to roast mushrooms for it too... And beets! I am starving! Growing this baby (and nursing my bigger one) is making me starving!!!!!
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:09 PM 10-21-2011

Tried a great recipe from the crockpot book I mentioned up thread. I actually caved and ordered it from Amazon, since I'd bookmarked fifty recipes and it would cost me half the price I paid for the entire book to photocopy them all!

I forget the name of the recipe since I had to return the library copy today, but it was was pork loin with fresh cabbage, sauerkraut and onions in a riesling and brown sugar broth - a sweet and sour dish. We couldn't find pork loin at the market, so we used six thick pork chops. We also substituted a small green cabbage for the red one it called for since I had one from the last farmers market that we needed to use up. Even with my substitutions, this dish was phenomenal! I served it with egg noodles on the side. Definitely a repeat at our house. And I can't wait until my copy of the book arrives in the mail so I can do more dinners from it! 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:46 AM 10-22-2011

Ugh. I was going to do pumpkin ale pot roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight but I forgot to pull it out of the freezer to defrost yesterday. Despite thinking it about it half a dozen times, at least. Now I have to think of something new... 

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 11:17 AM 10-22-2011
last night we had 4 cheese italian sausage, fried potatoes, and salad... cant remember whats on the list for tonight, i'll have to check
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 04:09 PM 10-22-2011

Okay, it's the weekend! Who's cooking up some good stuff?

It made it into the sixties here today, so we're firing up the grill. Kind of glad I forgot to defrost that beef now! We're doing barbecued pork ribs, and I'm going to make Spanish rice and cornbread on the side.

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 11:38 AM 10-23-2011
last night my mom and I ended up with velveeta dip and chips for dinner (i dipped broccoli too), and ds had chicken nuggets, fries, and broccoli. not healthy at all, but it was good, lol
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 12:13 PM 10-23-2011

Oh my god, chicken nuggets and fries sound so good! I keep seeing these recipes for home made nuggets on Pinterest... I might have to try it this week. 

Tonight we're finally doing the pumpkin ale pot roast. I'd like to do up some quick herbed bread to go with it if I can find 15 minutes to mix it up...

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 01:41 PM 10-23-2011

I have a huge fresh ham in the oven, and will add sweet potatoes, turnips, red potatoes (sale, sale, sale on all  the veggies), onions, and celery to it later.  Have bread rising on the counter, and a new batch of dough going (seeing if I can fix that darned artisan 5 minute bread recipe to my liking).  This morning I made fried red potatoes and onions and creamed eggs on 12 grain toast.  MMMM.  I think I'll make creamed swiss chard to go w/the roast later.  I'm in a creamed kinda mood.

Otherwise we're taking the day off, sitting 'round the fire pit and drinking beer while the kids jump on the trampoline, lol.  We're going to roast marshmallows and carve pumpkins later.

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 01:43 PM 10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I've got the chicken in the crockpot. Chicken legs, potatoes, an onion, and the giant bunch of dill, in a bit of chicken stock with dijon mustard. I hope it turns out - I just kind of threw it all in there. 

Things that I "just threw together" have almost always been a hit here.  Makes me wonder why I spend so much time on other stuff, lol.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 02:11 PM 10-23-2011

Chicky2 your day sounds awesome! Wish we had a fire pit to hang out around drinking some good beer - we definitely will when we get a house. And the ham sounds excellent; I've been thinking about ham a lot lately. I might have to see if I can get a small one, or at least a giant slice, when we go to the store tomorrow. 

My thrown together stuff usually goes pretty well too, but I want to kick up the flavor of the dilled chicken. It was good, just not dilly enough. I might throw in some toasted dill seeds next time, and make a chicken stock/dill gravy to go with it. 

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 03:43 PM 10-23-2011
wish it was cool enough for a fire here, lol... we had a few cool days last week, cool enough for a sweater anyway, but we're back up to the mid 80's again... another cold fron should be coming in next week, i cant wait.

we're having chicken soup and biscuits tonight
rebirth's Avatar rebirth 05:08 PM 10-23-2011
We took meatballs out of the freezer, yum!!! I love having homemade meals put up for lazy days. My DH made chocolate chip cranberry walnut cookies and I had 1.5 of them.
Ragana's Avatar Ragana 09:38 AM 10-24-2011

I asked my DDs to each name two dishes they wanted for dinner this week. This shows you the disparity in our house:

DD2 - pizza and mac & cheese

DD1 - squid pasta and ddeok bokki (http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/19/stir-fried-rice-cake-with-gochujang-sauce-ddeokbokki-in-korean/)

OK, so I am making the ddeok bokki tonight along with a great simple soup from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet (a fantastic SE Asian cookbook) called Plain of Jars Soup - it has cabbage, cauliflower and tomato in a simple broth w/ some fish sauce. DD2 gets a hot dog! LOL

Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 10:50 AM 10-24-2011

I like the easy pasta recipe and anything from Joy of Cooking is good. This weekend I made skillet lasagna for the first time. Riffed off an online recipe and really liked it though it took a while to soak my cast iron pan afterwards. I want to make a chicken pot pie tonight.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 12:10 PM 10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

I like the easy pasta recipe and anything from Joy of Cooking is good. This weekend I made skillet lasagna for the first time. Riffed off an online recipe and really liked it though it took a while to soak my cast iron pan afterwards. I want to make a chicken pot pie tonight.

What's skillet lasagna? Is it done on the stove top or just baked in a skillet in the oven?

I got a deal on smoked ham at the store today, so that's what we're having. I'm excited because it's way more than my husband and I can eat, so there will be plenty for the freezer. Feeding my freezer is getting to be a small addiction - love having a full larder of good food. I also have some mushrooms from the last farmer's market that are nearing the end of their usable life in the fridge, so I've got to do something with them. I want to do stuffed mushrooms with a bread crumb, onion and herb stuffing, but they're on the small side and not suitable for stuffing. So I think I'll end up making my old standby - sauteed with some garlic and fresh thyme and then finished with a splash of red wine vinegar. 

Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 02:41 PM 10-24-2011

Warm here today, too, but it is cooling down well at night.  We were just happy when they lifted the burn ban!  We are addicted to camp fires, lol. 

Tonight we're having Mummy Dogs (pigs in a blanket made to look like mummies) and sweet potato fries and maybe some sauteed swiss chard I need to pick and use so more can grow.  We didn't get around to carving the pumpkins so I'm about to go get the kids started cleaning the guts out.  We'll do that and eat crap tonight, lol.  I bought regular ole hotdog weiners this time instead of Hebrew National (we're broke, lol). 

Oh, and the ham I cooked wasn't cured.  I am needing to clear my freezers of all pork because we have 2 more feral pigs out there getting FAT and they need to go very soon so we can make room for more to be trapped in the coming months.  It makes me absolutely SICK, but some new neighbors we met have been feeding our pigs and they brought leftover beef stew from *supper that night* to feed them.  I can't wrap my head around that.  Why wouldn't they just eat it for lunch the next day?  They said they are so glad to be feeding our pigs because they usually just throw away *so much food it's disgusting* (their words).  If it's so disgusting to throw it away, why not find ways to use it?  Whatever.  Our pigs are eating very, very, very well, and I'll be able to get a good amount of lard this time, I would think!  Saves me from having to buy corn or oats in addition to all the scraps they get from us.  Have y'all ever met people that waste food like that?  I don't know if it's where I live, but these are not the first ones I met like that.  Our old neighbors would throw away a whole uneaten apple, orange, or banana out of the lunch their kids took to school just because it had been in the lunch box all day! 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 03:07 PM 10-24-2011

Oh yeah, I know people who waste food. It's sickening. A good friend of mine has a sister that refuses to eat leftovers. So if you don't like leftovers, why don't you cook smaller portion sizes so there isn't any left to throw out? Some people just don't realize what a waste it is! Or they don't care... and I'm not sure which saddens me more - ignorance or not caring... Anyway, at least your neighbors aren't totally wasting food since you've got the pigs about - you'll certainly reap the benefits when you butcher them. And you see - you talking about the pigs made me need some ham! I decided to do it studded with cloves with a bourbon honey glaze! I love pork. I really, really love pork. :-) 

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 07:06 PM 10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I bought regular ole hotdog weiners this time instead of Hebrew National (we're broke, lol).

Those are the best, aren't they? I got some on sale - that's what DD2 ate for dinner.

Peggy O'Mara's Avatar Peggy O'Mara 06:39 PM 10-25-2011

In Skillet Lasagna, I cooked a few lasagna noodles in some water in the cast iron skillet though the recipe didn't suggest this. Once the noodles were cooked, I poured off the water and then started layering. I made a sauce and put that over the noodles, then two or three dried noodles broken up a bit to fit, then a mix of ricotta, fresh mozzarella, an egg, and nutmeg, then repeat. [The idea is you don't have to cook the noodles before hand, though I did a bit] Simmer for about 20 minutes with the top on. I took the top off and cooked it another 10 minutes to dry it out more. And, let it sit a bit after it's done cooking so it sets. That's the general idea. There are a lot of recipes online for skillet lasagna. I didn't know about it either until my daughter told me last week.

First ... 4  5  6 7  8  16  56  106  ... Last

Up