Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 61 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

#1801 of 3080 Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

leftover meat loaf and green beans for me, leftover spaghetti for kiddies.

#1802 of 3080 Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I have half a package of bacon I need to use today before it goes bad, so I'm making bacon and whiskey chili. A double batch, so I can freeze some for those hot days to come when we don't feel like cooking. 

I'd like to pull out the stove top smoker this weekend too - I might do up some pecan-smoked salmon fillets for lunch tomorrow, maybe with some roasted potatoes alongside. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1803 of 3080 Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went to Costco this morning and was able to stock up on meats: steaks, frozen shrimp, frozen salmon filets, organic chicken legs, free range chicken meatballs, and fresh pork breakfast sausages, eggs, bread, fresh produce, cheese, and organic milk. I am so thankful for Costco right now. Food prices have been skyrocketing and their prices have gone up too, but not as much as everywhere else (at least around here, especially for high quality foods). It has been getting harder and harder to eat well on a budget, especially when we're trying to not rely heavily on grains and legumes.

Tonight we're having steaks and shrimp/red pepper/mushroom skewers on the grill with parmesan couscous, broccoli, and spinach salad with strawberries, pecans and blush wine vinaigrette.

I need to work on my menu for the week. Now that I know what I already have and what I just bought, I can start piecing it all together.

#1804 of 3080 Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM

homemade chicken curry (with homemade curry powder too).  I haven't had curry since I got real sick after eating some in 2006, but I think I'm finally ready to try it again!  I LOVE curry, but just haven't been able to bring myself to make it again after that, although it was seasoning from a box AND it had brocoli florets in it, two variables I am leaving out this time lol.

#1805 of 3080 Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 PM

Last night we ended up viewing a couple of houses and signing the papers to sell ours so we went out for all you can eat sushi to celebrate joy.gif

Tonight I'm making a tofu veggie and rice noodle stir fry and a big salad.

I'm planning on having Dh bbq a TON of veggies for dinner tomorrow and for a few meals over the next couple of days. Zuke eggplant portabello mushrooms and sliced potatoes and garlic in tin foil. I think I'm going to get some crusty buns and make sandwiches as tomorrows meal

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#1806 of 3080 Old 05-18-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

We ended up switching it up - we've got the salmon in the smoker with pecan chips tonight, and will be doing the bacon and whiskey chili tomorrow. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#1807 of 3080 Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM

The kids agreed on veggie sandwiches with hummus tonight yummy.gif

I've got eggplant,zuke,mushrooms and peppers for the sandwiches and I'm making a grilled asparagus,fennel and grapefruit salad to go with it.

#1808 of 3080 Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Tonight we made chicken & dumplings: chicken stock (homemade), chopped chicken, ad homemade dumpling(3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg, 1 those baking powder, about 1 1/2 cup of water, mix, roll out, cut into 1 inch squares, let air dry for several hours), boil stock, add chicken, drop in dumplings one at a time, let simmer for about 10 min.
We served it over bread with a salad.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#1809 of 3080 Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Oh yay! Camping season is almost here! Where/when do you guys get to go? And do you do tent or RV camping? We do tent camping so only have a cooler with ice, so meats and cold-storage items are limited. But if you have camping recipes, please share! I'm always looking for new ideas. We're taking Little Man on his first ever camping trip (just two overnights) over 4th of July this summer, so I am in full on planning mode.

Awesome! We had a great time in Lake Geneva (you're still in my same general area, right?) We usually do car/tent camping in the Wisconsin state parks. We are also limited to the cooler, but we bring a mini grill and propane stove, so we should really expand beyond hot dogs/sausages and potato-veg foil packets! I'm looking for new ideas, too! Here are a few I just researched and want to try next time:

* Baked apples - http://markingmyterritory.com/2012/01/26/camp-recipes-campfire-gourmet-baked-cinnamon-apple/

* Pasta packets (would be good for the kids) - http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/07/grilled-pasta-packets/

* BBQ chicken, corn, pinto beans (only for DH and me) - http://homemakers-journal.blogspot.com/2013/02/foil-packet-dinners.html

* Grilled mushrooms - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Grilled-Mushrooms-in-Foil-Packets

PS Trying to revive the Camping tribe - want to join?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1074285/camping-mamas-its-finally-spring

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#1810 of 3080 Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Thinking about this week's dinners, in no particular order:

* Taco salad with homemade pico de gallo

* Chicken wings, garlic bread, salad (DD2's choice)

* Tangy tomato pasta (DD1's choice from Budget Bytes recipe), salad

* Crockpot baked potatoes & toppings, lime coleslaw

* Last one still open - possibly a whole chicken I have in the freezer or if it's too hot, tofu-rice noodle salad with raw vegetables & Vietnamese-style sauce

#1811 of 3080 Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Tonight is pizza joy.gif

Grilled veggies from last night,tomatoes,olives and whatever else I find in the fridge we want to throw on top. And salad to go with.

Quick meal I'll get to after packing and sorting thru the boot room. Where all things go to die it seems

#1812 of 3080 Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Steak and rosemary potatoes.  

I can't ever really seem to discern rosemary in dishes.  I even used 2x the normal amount and still no.  Is there a secret to storing/ prepping rosemary?  I snipped some fresh from my garden for tonight's dinner

#1813 of 3080 Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

Steak and rosemary potatoes.  

I can't ever really seem to discern rosemary in dishes.  I even used 2x the normal amount and still no.  Is there a secret to storing/ prepping rosemary?  I snipped some fresh from my garden for tonight's dinner

I only use dried and lots of it. I find fresh just doesn't cut it for me

Tonight I made pasta with still more grilled veggies. Having dh grill so much on Sunday has REALLY helped me this week. It might become a weekly thing

#1814 of 3080 Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Awesome! We had a great time in Lake Geneva (you're still in my same general area, right?) We usually do car/tent camping in the Wisconsin state parks. We are also limited to the cooler, but we bring a mini grill and propane stove, so we should really expand beyond hot dogs/sausages and potato-veg foil packets! I'm looking for new ideas, too! Here are a few I just researched and want to try next time:

* Baked apples - http://markingmyterritory.com/2012/01/26/camp-recipes-campfire-gourmet-baked-cinnamon-apple/

* Pasta packets (would be good for the kids) - http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/07/grilled-pasta-packets/

* BBQ chicken, corn, pinto beans (only for DH and me) - http://homemakers-journal.blogspot.com/2013/02/foil-packet-dinners.html

* Grilled mushrooms - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Grilled-Mushrooms-in-Foil-Packets

PS Trying to revive the Camping tribe - want to join?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1074285/camping-mamas-its-finally-spring

Thanks! I'll check out the recipes and the camping tribe! I'm so excited now that Little Man is getting older and we can get him out into the great outdoors for some overnights - somewhere where he can see the stars at night! 

Tonight my husband did a riff on the sausage and pepper skillet he does, but we had ground pork so he used that instead of sausage. It was pretty good, and he did it over rice instead of with potatoes like we usually do (as I believe someone suggested up-thread).

#1815 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 AM

Just bought the sale bag of 10 lbs. potatoes for $1.99 - what to make? I already did crockpot baked potatoes and used leftovers to make potatoes and eggs for breakfast. I have a potato salad recipe I haven't made in a while that I might do, and we make oven fries/roasted potatoes pretty frequently. Any interesting potato recipes to recommend?

#1816 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Vegetarian tacos.  We use the normal package, but substitute black beans for hamburger and we reduced the water from the taco seasoning mix.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#1817 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Just bought the sale bag of 10 lbs. potatoes for $1.99 - what to make? I already did crockpot baked potatoes and used leftovers to make potatoes and eggs for breakfast. I have a potato salad recipe I haven't made in a while that I might do, and we make oven fries/roasted potatoes pretty frequently. Any interesting potato recipes to recommend?

We buy potatoes by the 20lb bag when they're that price lol. We LOVE potatoes sooo much

We have them for breakfast,potato and chickpea curry,vegetarians shepards pie(we usually make a HUGE batch of mashed potatoes and have one night straight mashed with mushroom gravy,another night shepards pie using the leftover gravy in the mushroom and kidney bean fillingyummy.gif and then whatever mashed potatoes are still left we make bubble and squeak with)

#1818 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Hi!

Been checking in on this thread for good ideas, but haven't participated.

Last night we had enchiladas filled with sauteed zucchini, bell peppers, olives, and diced chicken which was the last to come off the roaster I made Sunday. I topped it with warm sauce made of half-n-half and salsa with a rue base which I got from Beyond the Moon cook book.

Tonight we are having salad and pizza topped with the rest of the black olives and probably more bell pepper.

Hubby just got laid off so I'll be trying even harder to come up with creative meals from staples and the misc pantry items. I am trying to decide if one more trip to costco is worth it before the membership lapses. We are only a family of three so sometimes I question the necessity of it. I've stocked up on ground beef from the local rancher. 

#1819 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Tonight is canned vegetable soup and grilled "cheese" using leftover garlic bread.

I have felt horrible all day. I'm getting worse every day this pregnancy...thank goodness only 8 more weeks to go at most. The O.B. was shocked to see me still pregnant at my appt yest.

Between the pregnancy and the possible upcoming move I see a LOT of canned food and take-out in our future greensad.gif

#1820 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Shepherd's pie! I use this recipe but I tweak it a bit. I leave out the cheese and I add about a cup of frozen peas. And instead of doing a layer of mashed carrots, I just cook diced carrots with the onions and add it to the filling. The flavoring in this recipe is spot on though. It's become a household favorite over here. 

You could also do scalloped potatoes with ham - that's a good way to use up potatoes as a main dish. Or leek and potato soup is another favorite at our house. 

Tonight, we took the easy road since husband is working - beans and franks with baked potatoes. No idea what we're going to do tomorrow - the only meat in the house is ground pork, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with that, or think of something meatless for dinner. 

#1821 of 3080 Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Sounds like I should do a veg and a meat shepherd's pie!

#1822 of 3080 Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM

I've got potatoes baking in the slow cooker for twice baked potatoes. Vegetarian "chicken" with bbq sauce. A saute of bok choi/mushrooms and soy sauce. And salad if I can get the energy to make it all

#1823 of 3080 Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM

I'll be gone tonight, might pick up a burger from a shop on the way home. If not, left overs. smile.gif I've been sick so it's been hit and miss here.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#1824 of 3080 Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I discovered bacon in the freezer, so we had more meat than I thought. So tonight I finally tried a recipe I found on Pinterest for bean and bacon soup, which is one of my favorite things to eat. Tastes just like the Campbell's version I grew up with, only way better and healthier because it's home made. Very excited for dinner tonight, especially since it's cool here. 

#1825 of 3080 Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

sausage and wilted spinach with butter and apple cider vinegar

#1826 of 3080 Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM

We were viewing houses ALL DAY

Dh got me my fave spicy thai soup since my stomach hasn't been overly nice to me the past few days

#1827 of 3080 Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

We've been on the go for half the day, so I knew crock pot would be our salvation today. This morning I threw in a pork shoulder with a bottle of beer, so tonight we're having pulled pork with home made barbecue sauce. 

#1828 of 3080 Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 PM

We had salmon patties, nice and simple. Tomorrow I plan Tater Tot Casserole but we'll see. smile.gif

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#1829 of 3080 Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM

tonight we had sweet potato and black bean burritos with lemony rice and a salad... delicious!

#1830 of 3080 Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Tonight is frozen peanut butter stir fry with leftover sauteed bok choy and mushrooms from the other day stirred in. Kids want it on rice noodles of course. With a big salad using up whatever has to go in the fridge before shopping tomorrow

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page